Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it was way too good as it was but should probably be a 1 heart item now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

All it really amounts to in the end is that players will rarely take Maw of the Void and it gets to sit there as a pool-clutter item

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Evil Eagle posted:

It's not unusable, it's still quite strong with decent damage (so maybe they shouldn't have removed the damage up) but it did give you a ridiculous amount of black hearts before and for whatever reason they decided to nerf items that did that in repentance to make them more situational. For instance serpent's kiss now only makes enemies drop them when they die to damage from the contact poison damage which synergizes very well with temporary invincibility items, runes and cards but is a much less of a great item for general use. They probably went to far with Maw of the Void but it still does a lot of damage and has some decent to great synergies

I suppose I'd be fine with what they're trying to do if they lowered the cost to 1 heart. I like the fact that red hearts are now viable compared to before Repentance, and this makes Maw of the Void's high cost even less palatable.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 21, 2021

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think it 100% comes down to Athame being in the 1 heart pool and having the exact same effect but only when you take damage vs using it at will with Maw of the Void

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

but you have to charge Maw of the Void, and on a lot of builds you'll never use it because you're not going to hold the button down for that long

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Having just played with Maw of the Void, as someone who never played AB+ or Afterbirth, I thought it was really strong. You have to charge for a while but it also lasts for a while and deals completely insane damage.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

maw of the void is still really really good imo. it’s not a solo run winner anymore but that’s not really a good metric. you can charge it up before you enter a room and then have it kill most enemies inside while charging it up again.

it’s not a snap take in every situation anymore but i’m definitely willing to pay 2 hearts for it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the bigger problem is Devil rooms themselves aren't worth taking over Angel rooms anymore. Why would I pay health for items when I can get items that are just as good, if not better, for free?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

watho posted:

i just play the game and have fun :)

I go with Isaac, Samson, Azazel, or Cain if I'm playing for fun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RatHat posted:

I think the bigger problem is Devil rooms themselves aren't worth taking over Angel rooms anymore. Why would I pay health for items when I can get items that are just as good, if not better, for free?

this is a fair point tho. it’s a very hard balance to strike since devil deals were considered vastly superior up until repentance and the changes weren’t super significant

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

I think health is rarer as far as a percentage of the items now too

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Devil Rooms are still usually worth checking and you can generate more per run on average than angel rooms. So its more equal now.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'd check devil rooms more often if they didn't lock out angel rooms. As for now going for angel rooms is almost always more worth it, apart from certain characters

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'd check devil rooms more often if they didn't lock out angel rooms. As for now going for angel rooms is almost always more worth it, apart from certain characters

You can go into devil rooms and take a look at what's inside without losing your shot an an angel room. That only happens if you take a deal. It's also fine to take anything in the devil room that doesn't require you to trade health away, and to make use of any demon beggars in there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

checking out a devil room reduces your angel room odds relative to another devil room though, iirc

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Super No Vacancy posted:

checking out a devil room reduces your angel room odds relative to another devil room though, iirc

It only matters on the first one. After that it's just an even split no matter what. I think it's kind of arbitrary you can't force another angel deal but oh well. You can increase your angel deal percentage pretty easily by donating 10 cents to a donation machine on a particular floor and/or playing a bum beggar till it pays out, if one is available.

My general policy is check the first devil deal if I have the health to take one and don't go in if I don't. Maybe force an angel deal if I have a reroll device since I can reroll the key piece. Help now is always better than help later. And Angel deals can whiff pretty hard still.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 21, 2021

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't enter the very first devil room you see, it guarantees that the next angel/devil room will be an angel room. After that, there's no change in the probabilities from looking.

E:f;b. Take this as a tl;dr of the above.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 21, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Qylvaran posted:

If you don't enter the very first devil room you see, it guarantees that the next angel/devil room will be an angel room. After that, there's no change in the probabilities from looking.

E:f;b. Take this as a tl;dr of the above.

Oh, I had no idea! That's handy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If you want successive angel rooms then always take the key pieces if you can't reroll them even if you're not going to mega satan. They both raise the angel room chance relative to the devil room chance by a ton

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why does Tainted Keeper feel stronger than regular Keeper? Normally the "you gotta buy all your items" thing would be bad but you get soooo much money.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 21, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Stronger shops, easier access to money, free Quad shot with the ability to get actual tear fire rates.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407159451023331332?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407159881967149056?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407160198263828496?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407160582801813510?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407160940328472576?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407161334270095375?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1407162026250563592?s=20

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hm yes, just permanently tattoo something from my game on your body. Sure it's only 3 people, and there are people out there looking for an excuse to get more tattoos, but really Edmund? The art and cards are cool to see, man I wish I didn't know about this checklist thing he's doing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Next up: name your real life twin babies Jacob and Esau to unlock even more bonuses

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Evil Kit posted:

Hm yes, just permanently tattoo something from my game on your body. Sure it's only 3 people, and there are people out there looking for an excuse to get more tattoos, but really Edmund? The art and cards are cool to see, man I wish I didn't know about this checklist thing he's doing.

Yeah uh, those lists goes beyond fun activities into "seriously not cool, what the hell man?" territory. :catstare:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mean i plan to get a boi tattoo at some point so like i’m not super super mad about it. it’s better than bethesda encouraging naming a couple’s child dohvakin or w/e that thing was

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
"66 people sacrifice their firstborns and tweet the resulting hellgate with #anythingforedmund"

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I cannot get past the second floor of Greedier with Tainted Jacob

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol Edmund jumped on that one fast huh

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gotta say I respect going straight to the "Kickstarter bloat" stage of the card game

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So Spin to Win + Book of Virtues is an incredible combo but what the wiki doesn't tell you is that clearing a room gives you a random wisp :stare:

edit: or maybe not. i'm not sure what is causing it????????

edit again: i just got like two or three that time. what the gently caress?????

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 22, 2021

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Book of virtues is weird but in a good way

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
holy crap bag of crafting is basically its own mini-game

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I did the Rock Bottom/Red Stew/Soy Milk/Monstro's Lung combo Tainted Cain full clear with Mama Megas and R Keys. Lost Contact was very helpful, as were Schoolbag and Ghost Pepper.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The only Corpse boss I hadn't fought yet (or at least had to actually fight instead of obliterating within seconds, I don't remember) is the Scourge and hey

Don't like that one

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Word of advice: don't take Card Reading and Stairway unless you are prepared to be sad and also have to make the occasional tough choice

While typing this I also realized I forgot to enter the alt path on what was supposed to be a Corpse run oops

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 23, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently Ipecac and Haemolacria are basically unusable against the Beast. Good to know.

EDIT: It might depend on your range. If it's high enough the shots just go above the screen and disappear.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RatHat posted:

Apparently Ipecac and Haemolacria are basically unusable against the Beast. Good to know.

EDIT: It might depend on your range. If it's high enough the shots just go above the screen and disappear.

You gotta downwards from above. Which can be very difficult. You can try shooting from the bottom left but that has its own issues

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Word of advice: don't take Card Reading and Stairway unless you are prepared to be sad and also have to make the occasional tough choice

While typing this I also realized I forgot to enter the alt path on what was supposed to be a Corpse run oops

If you have 15 or more coins that doesn't sound like a tough choice at all.

For the person who was having trouble with Tainted Jacob in Greedier mode, this is the method I used. It's still not easy, but it's not "die in one hit" bullshit:

- Restart until you get an eraser in the shop
- ​Beat the first floor as normal. Tainted Esau is actually really useful for early floors so use him. Try to keep a rough estimate of how many times you hit him during this first floor.
- Buy the eraser. If you land the finishing blow on Tainted Esau with the eraser, he is gone for good, and you don't become the Lost. The eraser deals 15 damage and he has 270 health on the first floor. So, it's time to do some math and figure out how many times you have to hit him to get him in range to be erased.
- Now, the hard part. You actually have to beat Greedier mode after having spent 15 cents on the first floor on an eraser. I would recommend getting really lucky and finding a Sacred Heart ASAP.

The nice thing is that the reward, The Moon?, is actually really cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Evil Kit posted:

I have probably seen him RT, no exaggeration, easily 50 people eager to show him their new Isaac tattoos since I've been following him. Doesn't make sense to me either but trust me lol a lot of people were already getting those tattoos