Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Germany is ready to pick up the ball from Sweden Lmao

https://twitter.com/esbd_verband/status/1407266281972285440?s=21

Way to go Sweden, you’re gonna lose TI to loving Germany lmfao

Having TI10 in Cologne would be so incredibly fitting tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also wasn't team secret formed specifically to win a TI and yet they still haven't, and very likely never will :thunk:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

EorayMel posted:

Also wasn't team secret formed specifically to win a TI and yet they still haven't, and very likely never will :thunk:

there is one way they can win. if they get into the grand finals and their opponent is eg with rtz. then they will definitely win.

edit: ofc in that case it is possible all players on both teams spontaneously combust and the third place team is crowned the winner instead

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

EorayMel posted:

well hold on now, they are clearly playing the OG playbook, playing like poo poo pre-TI in order to become 'underdogs' this is their year

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

sugar free jazz posted:

yea how dare they get hosed over a bit by getting lied to

Listen if I were trying to get a company to host a multi-million dollar tournament I would lie about having government influence too. This is some hustler poo poo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taffer posted:

Why is that weird. We already know rich people get the vaccine first, and if you can travel to another country for an esports tournament you are probably rich. And if not they probably won't let you travel there.

I am in no way anywhere close to being considered rich by pretty much any measure but I was saving up to go to TI last year (and possibly this year) but welp

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I am in no way anywhere close to being considered rich by pretty much any measure but I was saving up to go to TI last year (and possibly this year) but welp

Sorry but only rich people can travel did you not get the memo

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

just host it somewhere with easy and legal access to weed

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Cerepol posted:

just host it somewhere with easy and legal access to weed

i was going to say amsterdam but apparantely there's some fuckery going on rn with the cannabis cafes right now lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I still remember going to the dispensary in Vancouver during ti8. Came in so clutch

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Host TI in Satan's Backyard as part of Streetbeefs

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883865

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also the biggest decision factor of where TI is going to be is who Valve outsource all the work out to, because they're not gonna do it themselves. China has Perfect World who have run all the Chinese majors/minors and TI, Europe has a ton of companies (EPIC Esports who run Epicenter, WePlay, Starladder), but NA has no one. PGL organized the Boston major despite being a European company, but I don't know if Valve would want them to fly out to America for however many weeks it would take to fully organize a TI in Seattle or whatever rather than having them just do it at a venue they're already familiar with and tons of pre-established contacts for things like catering/hair/makeup/etc.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
TI10 in the UK, we notably don't give a gently caress about travel restrictions so it should be a piece of piss to arrange

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bring TI to Minneapolis they can hire out the company that does SGDQ here every year

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

but NA has no one. PGL organized the Boston major despite being a European company, but I don't know if Valve would want them to fly out to America for however many weeks it would take to fully organize a TI in Seattle or whatever rather than having them just do it at a venue they're already familiar with and tons of pre-established contacts for things like catering/hair/makeup/etc.

There's also the problem that the US kept denying visas to a bunch of players

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

bring ti to my house i will host it, i can take care of it myself

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Sounds like TI in Sweden is Bork Bork Borked

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Doesn't matter to me who's fault it is, it's still funny that we don't know where ti is.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Estraysian posted:

Valve also somehow neglected to notice that getting the special exemption would require them to prove that Dota is primarily a physical activity and not a mental one and good loving luck with that

I'm not sure about you but I frequently get physically exhausted playing dota from how tilted I get.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I guess valve will just be forced to cancel it and pocket all the money again

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Where The Hell Is (cyborg)Matt (hosting TI)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
DOTA isn’t an elite sport, no, but I think The International is an elite sporting EVENT, if only for the prize pool and the crowds it draws

I do think it’s a little bit of an attitude issue, like Ebert refusing to concede that video games can be considered art. It just seems like the people who matter and make the decisions refuse to see ANY esport event as elite sport, but I think TI is the one event that may be big enough in esports to do so.

Oh well, their loss IMO

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

its just old people literally not realizing how big gaming has become, its a pretty dang big industry especially among other entertainment industries like music/movies even before the pandemic sort of shut down the real money making opportunities for music/movies

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Sounds like TI in Sweden is Bork Bork Borked

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I was avoiding the thread because I hasn’t watched the final game of VP vs. T1, and thought “Wow lots of posts! Maybe it was a great finish.”

Lol, fake sport for nerds gets owned. (Bring TI back to Seattle so I can attend.)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I was avoiding the thread because I hasn’t watched the final game of VP vs. T1, and thought “Wow lots of posts! Maybe it was a great finish.”

Lol, fake sport for nerds gets owned. (Bring TI back to Seattle so I can attend.)

More and more people are saying this

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

IcePhoenix posted:

Bring TI to Minneapolis they can hire out the company that does SGDQ here every year

Yes, and let Sumichu host it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Have sumichu peform snake eater theme song at ti

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
E-sports are very similar to physical sports in terms of their visa/travel requirements, and most countries have been accommodating them under the same general regulations with very minimal changes. For example, someone coming to the US to play in a specific tournament would get a B-1 business visitor visa, while someone coming to play more permanently (e.g. to join a specific team) can get a P-1 athlete visa, which is exactly what you would get if you were coming to play for the Yankees.

You can certainly stand on principle and say that gamers aren’t athletes, but then you’re just going to have to copy+paste the treatment of athletes in your country’s immigration laws, because they really do have very similar needs, like suddenly needing admission because they qualified for a scheduled tournament. Or I guess you could say that your country just isn’t open to e-sports tournaments, but from the perspective of an immigration system that’s like saying that your country isn’t open to Taylor Swift concerts or physics conferences. Generally it’s seen as good when people come to your country, hold events of interest to your citizens, spend a bunch of money, and then leave.

Ten years ago it was common for countries to be dragging their feet about this stuff, but Sweden making a special point of doing it in 2021 is definitely lol-worthy.

If it’s just COVID-related that’s different, but it doesn’t sound like it’s limited to that at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The longer TI stays away from americas the better imo

(just for timezone reasons)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not sure of the issue, but I seem to remember in the old days there was sort of a problem that Valve doesn't participate in the varying esport governing bodies that a lot of it's competitors in the ongoing/seasonal video game tourney business do? You'd always hear of Dota facing difficulties that Blizzard and Riot events. I'm not sure how CSGO has managed to make it work, probably ESL and others just stepping in and taking reigns.

Basically Valve is gaming's most AnCap company, and it's been evident for many years from hats valued at thousands of dollars to the way the company is managed. They don't invest anything in government relations, as though they're passively annoyed that governments exist. Time was once they didn't produce patch notes for the client, because once people got desperate enough to know what was going on CyborgMatt stepped in to do it for free.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 22, 2021

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Glad Sweden defended their elite physical athlete principles and didn’t allow a dota tournament, which defends the honor of elite physical athletic chess tournaments

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

Glad Sweden defended their elite physical athlete principles and didn’t allow a dota tournament, which defends the honor of elite physical athletic chess tournaments

Chess was denied entry into the Swedish Sports Confederation, just like esports was.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
When was the last time Sweden hosted a big esports tournament anyway

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

EorayMel posted:

why else do teams form

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Estraysian posted:

Chess was denied entry into the Swedish Sports Confederation, just like esports was.

high key hosed up imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

When was the last time Sweden hosted a big esports tournament anyway

Dream league studios are there

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zurreco posted:

Yes, and let Sumichu host it

:hmmyes:

Do a Sumi/Ephy/Moxxi panel on the main stage

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Estraysian posted:

Good :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Zurreco posted:

Same thing applies to a "casual point" in a skill. You're making a small, early investment in something that you're not going to fully build out in the near term.

Few pages back but pretty sure these are called "value points" not casual points.