Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Have you ever gone to a work event, or an acquaintance's gathering, and they got a jar of this poo poo and tortilla chips as one of the snacks???

I have never found one amazing salsa that I keep rebuying, but there are plenty of decent ones out there now. I have discovered I really like salsas with a fruity tint, especially RASPBERRIES :q: I'm snacking on some HINT OF LIME tortilla chips + this right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I think pace medium is the best basic jarred salsa; renfro's made drat fine salsas for a long time, especially in the "sweet heat" category.

in closing, i very much prefer the dimetrodon av to what it was previously, very nice, thank you

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I ate Pace as a kid constantly, but now I hate it and pretty much every tomato-based cooked-to-death jarred salsa

this is the best Herdez can:

this is my go-to Herdez jar:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I ate Pace as a kid constantly, but now I hate it and pretty much every tomato-based cooked-to-death jarred salsa

:hmmyes:

A solid choice that is free of yankee molestation.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

NEW YORK CITY!

get a rope

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like Tostitos medium chunky and Pace salsas. Also the stuff from Aldi's.

The fresher it is the less I like it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
get a rope

Universe Master posted:

i literally just posted that joke

get a rope

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Herdez is my go-to because it's cheap and delicious. If I wanna get fancy white-person salsa I go with this:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Also I haven’t had it in years because I genuinely just don’t gently caress with shelf stable jarred salsas but Hell on the Red was what we always had in the house when I was a kid and I remember it being pretty good. If I’m gonna grab something that’s not fresh made these days I’ll usually get one of HEB’s refrigerated house brand ones; the Serrano in particular hits a relative sweet spot of having a little heat to not be boring but still mild enough for the spice-intolerant to have some too.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Nice to see Mrs. Renfro's repped in the OP.

Very hot (for store bought salsa) and very good:

Frog Ranch is also good and I keep it around for my parents who wrecked their organs and have to do low salt - 560mg for the entire jar which is basically a miracle for salsa these days. They snack on it with Garden of Eatin no-salt-added blue corn chips. :frogbon:

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
my parents always bought pace growing up and i got way burned out on that, but still like it sometimes. usually i get the cheapass walmart store brand stuff with black beans in it and add tajin seasoning to it and thats Pretty Good. also is it weird to eat tortilla chips with spinach dip, am i some kind of weirdo for liking that

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Spinach-Artichoke dip with tortilla chips is literally an appetizer at Applebee's, so no I don't think it's weird, it's actually pretty mainstream.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Q_res posted:

Spinach-Artichoke dip with tortilla chips is literally an appetizer at Applebee's, so no I don't think it's weird, it's actually pretty mainstream.

:thanks:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i would eat spinach dip with cardboard if i had to

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
saying PACE PICANTE in a strong gringo accent brings me joy

thaT said HERDEZ supremacy

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Crusty Nutsack posted:

came to post this

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Fartington Butts posted:

Herdez is my go-to because it's cheap and delicious. If I wanna get fancy white-person salsa I go with this:

get the frontera tomatillo if you like green salsa

I always used to get Chi-Chi's Thick & Chunky salsa because it was voted best by cook's illustrated, but my wife doesn't like it because the onion pieces are too big. So now we get Pace Picante hot

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Herdez 'Taqueria' varieties are of good quality, however they have almost zero heat which is a shame if that's your thing. (Though I've had only the roja and verde as that is all the stores in my area had last time I was in the market for them)

That being said, if you like the little cups of salsa you get at your local mexican dive (yes I know yours has a full salsa bar with a third generation salsa sommelier. Awesome.) then these fill that niche easily.

I would really like to find a roja that hits that spot a little bit better and can't find it, like I'm pretty sure most places just have a big rear end bucket of it in back and I've yet to nail what it is they use. If it's one of the canned Herdez varieties, tell me. I haven't tried those yet, but no jarred salsa I've tried has gotten that texture just right.

Also another thumbs up for the Renfro's smoked green chili version, that's a pretty decent mild verde. As is the roasted Herdez verde mentioned above. I think maybe it's just hard to gently caress one of those up.

----------------

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 21, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
its probably because the ones in the back of the mexican place are uncooked bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's entirely possible.
I would have assumed quite a few of them didn't actually take the time to whip up that up and it'd be easier to have a standardized one.

----------------

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Big Beef City posted:

The Herdez 'Taqueria' varieties are of good quality, however they have almost zero heat which is a shame if that's your thing. (Though I've had only the roja and verde as that is all the stores in my area had last time I was in the market for them)

That being said, if you like the little cups of salsa you get at your local mexican dive (yes I know yours has a full salsa bar with a third generation salsa sommelier. Awesome.) then these fill that niche easily.

I would really like to find a roja that hits that spot a little bit better and can't find it, like I'm pretty sure most places just have a big rear end bucket of it in back and I've yet to nail what it is they use. If it's one of the canned Herdez varieties, tell me. I haven't tried those yet, but no jarred salsa I've tried has gotten that texture just right.

Also another thumbs up for the Renfro's smoked green chili version, that's a pretty decent mild verde. As is the roasted Herdez verde mentioned above. I think maybe it's just hard to gently caress one of those up.

Are you talking about a tomato based salsa roja? If not, try the can of herdez ranchero I posted earlier. It’s essentially just a rich, thick chile purée. It’s dark and a little smoky, but no tomato, cilantro or onion chunks in sight

If you’re talking about a tomato-based table salsa, then aardvark is correct in that it’s not canned and you won’t find any canned salsa like it

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I don't know if anyone has been to Chevy's, but their salsa remains top tier. Not chunky, flavorful, smokey...

Does anyone know if a jarred salas even close?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Mrs. Renfro's Verde is loving baller as hell.

But I'm surprised no one has mentioned my loving jam:

It's the Safeway house brand garlic lover's. It's not hot at all, but it is loving delicious. And you can always add some hot sauce to give it some heat.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Are you talking about a tomato based salsa roja? If not, try the can of herdez ranchero I posted earlier. It’s essentially just a rich, thick chile purée. It’s dark and a little smoky, but no tomato, cilantro or onion chunks in sight

If you’re talking about a tomato-based table salsa, then aardvark is correct in that it’s not canned and you won’t find any canned salsa like it

Well, I did a bit of looking around and here's what I found.
So the terms salsa roja and salsa de mesa are pretty friggin interchangeable, if not indistinguishable. But, if you do a GIS for salsa roja, much of what you'll see is a thicker, pastier or even sometimes chunkier "American Salsa" kind of sauce.
But if you look for salsa de mesa, that shows almost specifically what I'm talking about. That almost watery tomato based sauce that's uniquely thin (and very easy to make, so I can see how tons of places would simply make it in house, solving any question about it).

BUT there are jarred versions of, again, specifically, 'salsa de mesa' and I wonder how they'd compare if at all. I can't recall ever seeing this, but I'm gonna look for it and buy some to test it out just to try it. Again, it's easy enough to make to not really bother, but if you just wanted to grab some I guess it'd be nice.

There's some salsa pedantry for everyone.

----------------

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Big Beef City posted:

Well, I did a bit of looking around and here's what I found.
So the terms salsa roja and salsa de mesa are pretty friggin interchangeable, if not indistinguishable. But, if you do a GIS for salsa roja, much of what you'll see is a thicker, pastier or even sometimes chunkier "American Salsa" kind of sauce.
But if you look for salsa de mesa, that shows almost specifically what I'm talking about. That almost watery tomato based sauce that's uniquely thin (and very easy to make, so I can see how tons of places would simply make it in house, solving any question about it).

BUT there are jarred versions of, again, specifically, 'salsa de mesa' and I wonder how they'd compare if at all. I can't recall ever seeing this, but I'm gonna look for it and buy some to test it out just to try it. Again, it's easy enough to make to not really bother, but if you just wanted to grab some I guess it'd be nice.

There's some salsa pedantry for everyone.

Ok I know what you’re talking about. there’s lots of recipes for it out there, and I’d suggest using canned tomatoes for that restaurant style. make one like this and see if it’s close to what you want: https://midwestfoodieblog.com/simple-summer-salsa/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Names Salsa, Jared Salsa.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Smythe posted:

Jared Salsa.

that is a crime

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Smythe posted:

Names Salsa, Jared Salsa.

been thinkin this

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I like to put jarred salsa on top of frozen/microwave burritos/chimichangas, along with pre-shredded "quesadilla mix" or "Mexican style" cheese, and some hot sauce. The sum is greater than its parts.

When I am serving salsa for a party or other big gathering I get a quart of "fresh store made" white people salsa that's just diced tomatoes/peppers/onions/cilantro, then I mix it with a jarred salsa that contains either corn or black beans. You have to mix 1 mild and 1 hot, or have both be medium heat. Everyone at the cookout likes your salsa and they will even put it on hotdogs or burgers. If there is going to be a bunch of grilled chicken and/or shrimp you can mix the "fresh store made" white people salsa with a jarred verde salsa instead and people will hoot and holler after they put it on the chicken/shrimp.

I am more into hot sauces than salsas, and don't really ever have "just salsa" at home in any context. I will try every single free/appetizer salsa and chips when I'm at a restaurant though, because you never know exactly what you're gonna get and they are all really quite good.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like to add big ol chunks of avocado to either my home made or store bought salsas because 🥑 is delicious

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like to add big ol chunks of avocado to either my home made or store bought salsas because 🥑 is delicious

luv 2 have mah salsa look like bloody vomit for no reason

----------------

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Jared Salsa

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

jarred seltzer

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alas, Jed's .rar

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Mrs. Renfro's Verde is loving baller as hell.

But I'm surprised no one has mentioned my loving jam:

It's the Safeway house brand garlic lover's. It's not hot at all, but it is loving delicious. And you can always add some hot sauce to give it some heat.

Haven't had this in a long drat time, but it's a good'un.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Smythe posted:

Jared Salsa

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Smythe posted:

Jared Salsa

It's a Subway meatball sub, but instead of marinara there is salsa.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fartington Butts posted:

:same:

----------------

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Smythe posted:

Jared Salsa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003