Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hedgehog Pie posted:

My dad has this affliction too. Was there maybe a time in the 70s where grass grew to bamboo height very briefly and now boomers are traumatized over it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUjE995IO4

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hedgehog Pie posted:

My dad has this affliction too. Was there maybe a time in the 70s where grass grew to bamboo height very briefly and now boomers are traumatized over it?

I had a summer job with a landscaper years ago. Regular mowing encourages the grass to grow more leaves to maximise exposure to the sun and this evens out the lawn, filling in any empty patches and making it thicker.

For best results use the tallest setting on the mower and never cut off more than about about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total length.

Boomers seem to be really into keeping the grass as short as possible, which isn't a good idea. Cutting it almost down to the roots puts the plants into panic mode and they will devote all their resources to maximum regrowth, meaning you have to mow more often. There are no leaves to hold water so it needs constant watering. Since it's devoting all effort to growing leaves, the root structure is weak and it will die off more quickly during dry periods. Constantly short lawns are also a haven for weeds, whereas a longer thicker lawn makes it harder for them to get a hold.

tl;dr: Ignore any boomer advice about lawn care.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

learnincurve posted:

I wish my neighbour would stop smoking weed outside, it started out as a few tester joints and now the fucker is blazing 24/7 and you have to close the front windows as well :(

I used to be that neighbour. As I was outside I always thought it was fine and I wasn't bothering anyone. Now I don't smoke I realise just how much that stuff stinks and my neighbour gasses out my entire house by smoking at their backdoor.

It's my penance I suppose.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've had a absolute mare, customer didn't tell us that they had buried the manhole cover with the access for the septic tank emptying. Also didn't warm us there was an old concrete septic tank in the loving garden. Or a ghetto rear end soakaway for the gutters.
I hosed all three up with the digger.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

You should try a pixel, all of them have such ridiculously good cameras, even back to an old pixel 1 or 2.

The Pixel 4a's camera is fine

The Huawei P20 camera is a loving marvel (it's mostly very good, fast software that make it appear like a better camera)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Salisbury Snape posted:

I've had a absolute mare, customer didn't tell us that they had buried the manhole cover with the access for the septic tank emptying. Also didn't warm us there was an old concrete septic tank in the loving garden. Or a ghetto rear end soakaway for the gutters.
I hosed all three up with the digger.

These sound more like "them" problems than "you" problems.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
what makes a soakaway ghetto rear end I wonder as I install mine?

so if like nerves in the body or whatever, pain receptors are supposed to like help us know when something is bad and not to do it, why did they put so many really powerful ones in the little bits of mush under the corners of your fingernails? The pain you can experience there seems not proportionate to how important that bit of you surely is?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i have really liked the look of the last few huaweis but also they have looked really flimsy and thin and im convinced i would break it

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what makes a soakaway ghetto rear end I wonder as I install mine?

Its two lots of guttering meeting at 150mm below finished floor over three metres into a pile of 200-300mm granite covered in old cut up sand and cement bags instead of membrane, in the middle of the garden

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
if they didnt warn you its not your fault imho

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

CancerCakes posted:

I passed my exams so I went out for ice cream

I am 35 this year

Are you saying you think you are too old for ice cream or too old for exams?

Neither is true btw.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Gasmask posted:

if they didnt warn you its not your fault imho

Oh I'm not taking responsibility, the customer literally said 'oh, I did wonder if you would find them'

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Salisbury Snape posted:

Oh I'm not taking responsibility, the customer literally said 'oh, I did wonder if you would find them'

Lol multi thousand pound scavenger hunt

Yep I feel like fully half way through my 3 score and ten I shouldn't have to do exams, but if I do I'm getting ice cream

It was a milkshake ice-cream float think, had cookies and caramel in it, fantastic

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's still plenty of exams to take when you're old.

It just usually involves people looking up your bum.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

I mean, a diligent, naturally talented digger operator would probably have conducted a site survey and visual below ground risk assessment.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean, a diligent, naturally talented digger operator would probably have conducted a site survey and visual below ground risk assessment.

While driving into various pieces of plant scattered around the site ofc

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Only having loaded their ramshackle homemade forks with so much polystyrene they couldn't see where they were going.

Also, for best effect, do this immediately after having given a site safety talk to a crew of professional pilers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Salisbury Snape posted:

Its two lots of guttering meeting at 150mm below finished floor over three metres into a pile of 200-300mm granite covered in old cut up sand and cement bags instead of membrane, in the middle of the garden

what does this mean, for the non-builders in this thread

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When I was at school there was a lonely jcb arm and scoop sticking out the ground at the far end of the sports field from when they were draining bogland and it sank. For all I know it’s still there as a testament to someone’s colossal fuckup.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

When I was at school there was a lonely jcb arm and scoop sticking out the ground at the far end of the sports field from when they were draining bogland and it sank. For all I know it’s still there as a testament to someone’s colossal fuckup.

This sounds like that Amazon into the loop thing.

I don't really understand the soakaway either. Other than I guess not deep enough pipework in places where it matters and the actual soakaway destination not being properly sealed with membrane soon soil can't over time gum it up

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Excuse me what?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so im off to see my mate this weekend coming. first time for i dunno two years...

but... I'm kind of dreading it. pretty sure i was too big of an alcoholic then. so now...

also shes 40 years old and has texted today to say bring pillows if you want them. just buy loving pillows, youve got a four bedroom house and were like a week out. like just get pillows fucksake

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Just take pillows.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

cheers ratty. always there to help the wallys amoungst us navigate this confusing world.

I will take pillows.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Maybe she doesn't like owning extra clutter, or sharing pillows. Maybe she doesn't like your germs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

why did she move out to a house with more bedrooms and invite us all there? and then say bring pillows a week before we come when she had a plenty of time to source the number of pillows appropriate to the place she owns?

she is in adoption training. i think they'll check how many pillows you've got surely?

edit. lol when i wrote the previous message i wasnt being factitious, i just genuinely was going to take pillows

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm in a Preston Travelodge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUHSr59ftI

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what does this mean, for the non-builders in this thread

Soakaway is drainage into the ground rather than into a sewer or septic tank, the gutters on this chalet are all meeting in one place in the middle of the garden and its not very deep.
This will cause water logging in the garden after heavy rainfall because once the ground is saturated the water will have nowhere to go except rise.
Most soakaways should be much deeper and set to somewhere where the excess water in the ground won't cause issues. The lack of membrane as 99 mentioned will eventually wash soil into the cavity created by the stones and fill up, rendering the soakaway useless and water will then just sit in the garden until it naturally fucks off into the ground.
Usually a soakaway is made of plastic drainage crates wrapped in a membrane but older soakaways do often use granite or large stone but are placed in locations and depths that won't cause issues for anyone digging up a garden to re-landscape

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

cheers ratty. always there to help the wallys amoungst us navigate this confusing world.

I will take pillows.

Tell her you'll use her chest pillows.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

everybody needs a bosom for a pillow

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassassssssaaa

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Salisbury Snape posted:

Soakaway is drainage into the ground rather than into a sewer or septic tank, the gutters on this chalet are all meeting in one place in the middle of the garden and its not very deep.
This will cause water logging in the garden after heavy rainfall because once the ground is saturated the water will have nowhere to go except rise.
Most soakaways should be much deeper and set to somewhere where the excess water in the ground won't cause issues. The lack of membrane as 99 mentioned will eventually wash soil into the cavity created by the stones and fill up, rendering the soakaway useless and water will then just sit in the garden until it naturally fucks off into the ground.
Usually a soakaway is made of plastic drainage crates wrapped in a membrane but older soakaways do often use granite or large stone but are placed in locations and depths that won't cause issues for anyone digging up a garden to re-landscape

lol at the poor building decisions

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My soakaway is going to be a buried pile of old rubble.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

everybody needs a bosom for a pillow

that song is very rude and i think that filth-lyrics are corrupting the children and contributing to the moral erosion of our country :nono:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Tell her you'll use her chest pillows.

I don't think her wife would appreciate that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think her wife would appreciate that.

You won't know until you try.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
everyybodyy needs a :sexarse: for a pillooow everybody needs a :sexarse:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

either you'll get in the way of its proper usage, or your pillow will be jostled and shoved about while you're trying to sleep on it

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

There's nowt like waking up at 05:30, doing a bunch of gardening, trapesing round town for several hours trying to find a place that isn't out of stock of m4 bolts, doing more gardening, then unwinding with some hard spirits and making a guy's eyeballs explode out their sockets in cyberpunk. 2021 man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oh yeah I remembered I actually already had a bag of the requisite bolts in a tool box at home