Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Blooster posted:

No way to place icons where you want on the home screen

No way to save attachments

Plugging iPhone or iPad into computer over USB does not produce a way to send or receive files as a mounted device

No way to browse files

No back button

ios is shite, mate.

My iPhone is several years old and does all these things except the unnecessary back button

Have you ever considered an intro to computers at your local community college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did Creative Labs write them a functional file system to steal?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

kntfkr posted:

does this make me a girl if i have an iphone asking for a boy

No not at all

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yalls knowledge of phones is alarmingly stuck in the previous decade

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The thing about file browsing on iPhones was also real annoying to me.

Like, I saved a file. Where did it save? I don't know. How do I find it? It's in there, and I want to email it somewhere, but where's my file browser?? What do you mean I can't just look at a hierarchical file structure showing every folder and file on my device???

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You're thinking windows phones.

Remember the amazon fire phone? Lol.

amazon fire phone?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

HJE-Cobra posted:

The thing about file browsing on iPhones was also real annoying to me.

Like, I saved a file. Where did it save? I don't know. How do I find it? It's in there, and I want to email it somewhere, but where's my file browser?? What do you mean I can't just look at a hierarchical file structure showing every folder and file on my device???

Files?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Phone

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Blooster posted:

No way to place icons where you want on the home screen

No way to save attachments

Plugging iPhone or iPad into computer over USB does not produce a way to send or receive files as a mounted device

No way to browse files

No back button

ios is shite, mate.

lol, yes, these are the things i'm thinking about when drawing, sculpting or editing video on my iPad.

please, by all means, show me Affinity Photo, Nomad Sculpt, Procreate, Lumafusion, or Filmic Pro on your Android. Go ahead, i'll wait.

and for the knockout punch, please show me the equivalent to Beatmaker Pro or any of the hundreds of absolutely superb music production apps for Android.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, yes, these are the things i'm thinking about when drawing, sculpting or editing video on my iPad.

please, by all means, show me Affinity Photo, Nomad Sculpt, Procreate, Lumafusion, or Filmic Pro on your Android. Go ahead, i'll wait.

and for the knockout punch, please show me the equivalent to Beatmaker Pro or any of the hundreds of absolutely superb music production apps for Android.

Ipad is the best tablet around. I don't dispute that.

IPhone is a good phone for olds and the technically illiterate. they are completely unusable for anyone who even passively used a computer before the year 2010

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I'm having a bad week I miss my mom

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Blooster posted:

IPhone is a good phone for olds and the technically illiterate. they are completely unusable for anyone who even passively used a computer before the year 2010

God forbid something you own be low maintenance and not require constant fiddling lmfao

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lot of android cope itt

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Blooster posted:

Ipad is the best tablet around. I don't dispute that.

Looks like you missed this addressing your concerns

Dear Watson posted:

My iPhone is several years old and does all these things except the unnecessary back button

Have you ever considered an intro to computers at your local community college?

e: you’ll probably have to upgrade your chrome book to a pc for your intro to computers course. You’ll learn a new operating system called windows

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 22, 2021

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao at the fact that people are legit still doing apple vs android in earnest in 2021. They both work fine and are barely any different for the average user, except that iphone is better for moms or dum dums and android is better for tech bro Melvins such as myself.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I use my phone for like 2 things - browsing the internet and talking to people. Bells and whistles are neat but I rarely use them. I buy android and use boost, price is what matters to me. I have used Apple too when I got it for a deal (read my friend gave me her old phone)

Y'all get really defensive over which massive corporate entity hired slave labor to put together your mobile forums device.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Lol

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Not now I'm making a devastating TikTok about phone holes

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I want my OS and every single app to datamine and surveil me 24/7. -A very savvy Android user

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

What you guys don't get about apple is it isn't about functionality or whatever it's about being better than people. A $400 iWatch doesn't do poo poo but tell you the time and call you fat once an hour but it'd be weird to show the person scanning your groceries your iPhone hence, BAM, iWatch. You can wear a bourgeoise badge right on your wrist so that piece of poo poo at the drive through taking your order, who shoulda went to college, knows you're their superior.

I knew a guy who had a Zune in highschool and he'd talk about functionality or it's just as good as an iPod and has more buttons and storage, or whatever, but he was a fuckin
virgin and probably still is what the gently caress even is a Zune. Any time I see a dude talking into his airpod pros making sick business deals I know he's a winner.

Files lol who cares.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I loved my zune. I’m glad you still remember me after all these years though

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

^^ yeah in all seriousness Zune was a superior product, and that virgin in the story was me :(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Phones loving suck bring pagers back

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

you're a really strange person

I don’t think that was ever in doubt

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My phone has one of those pens that I use approximately once a month. BITCH.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tbf I seldom hear people talk poo poo on Android phones outside of the "LOL POOR PERSON OFFBRAND PHONE USER" thats like basically poo poo talking someone for wearing $30 sneakers from Kohls instead of Air Jordans. Occasionally people are like "Oh I prefer the OS" but then thats swamped over by the former breed of weird person

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also video/image editing is still a trillion times better on a desktop so arguing about which lovely tablet is better for digital art when it's still dogshit compared to a desktop PC with a large display and proper art tablet is like arguing over which outhouse reeks less of poo poo when your house has a perfectly functional toilet with a seat warmer and bidet

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Chinatown posted:

My phone has one of those pens that I use approximately once a month. BITCH.

I had one of those. I felt pretty cool whenever I pulled it out

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dear Watson posted:

I had one of those. I felt pretty cool whenever I pulled it out

I pull it out sometimes in meetings at the office. TOTAL POWER MOVE.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
I’ve only ever used an iPhone, but I only upgrade to newer models if the one I’ve been using is no longer functional, and then I go to the oldest model they’ll sell me. Which usually feels pretty low-priced given I’m going to use it a whole loving lot for years after. Like, I’m still using and happy with a 6 I’ve had for years. It’s fine, it does what I need and I rarely need to gently caress around with it. The only real requirements I have for a phone are that it’s gotta fit easily in my hand, and it’s gotta have a headphone jack.

:geno:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I’ve had my 8 Plus for gently caress knows how long now and I have no plans to upgrade any time soon.

My work phone is a Samsung and I hate the loving thing. Not because I think iOS is any better than Android, but because iOS is lovely in ways that I’m used to, while Android is lovely in ways I’m not used to. All mainstream phone operating systems are bottom of the barrel garbage.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
imagine using a phone with non-free software

i wouldn't even accept a phone as A GIFT if even the BIOS was non-free software

join us now and share the software

ps i don't even own a tellyphone

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Do iphones have good call screening built in? That's become my favorite thing on my android phone and would legit be a bummer to go without it now.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Also video/image editing is still a trillion times better on a desktop so arguing about which lovely tablet is better for digital art when it's still dogshit compared to a desktop PC with a large display and proper art tablet is like arguing over which outhouse reeks less of poo poo when your house has a perfectly functional toilet with a seat warmer and bidet

lol, you've never used LumaFusion on an iPad. i do video editing in Premier Pro on my desktop with dual IPS color corrected monitors, but drat is it ever cool to be able to edit video on the go.

as for a 'proper art tablet' like a Wacom Cintiq, i can sculpt directly on the screen in Nomad using the Apple Pencil. once again, being able to sculpt something on the go and then importing it into ZBrush is very loving cool.

it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with the iPad.e:or you just aren't keeping up with the tech that's currently available.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 23, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

lol, you've never used LumaFusion on an iPad. i do video editing in Premier Pro on my desktop with dual IPS color corrected monitors, but drat is it ever cool to be able to edit video on the go.

as for a 'proper art tablet' like a Wacom Cintiq, i can sculpt directly on the screen in Nomad using the Apple Pencil. once again, being able to sculpt something on the go and then importing it into ZBrush is very loving cool.

it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with the iPad.e:or you just aren't keeping up with the tech that's currently available.

I've tried to use the iPad and not having a mouse or keyboard immediately available for shortcuts and hotkeying is a huge handicap for video and image editing (where I'll have several Explorer windows open with several projects windows with multiple effects windows, layers, keys, etc.) this isn't getting into pressure sensitivity levels compared to an art tablet either which is extremely no bueno on the iPad for me when doing digital artwork and is pretty much a deal killer on its own. Then there's not being able to have customizable pens with different tips which can make certain things far more natural, nor does the iPad have any pen tilt on it. It also just feels less responsive in general.
Of course the iPad is decent for its price if you can get an older model for cheap with decent storage, then get the software for cheap somehow, but it's not going to be competitive with a keyboard/mouse/tablet combo any time soon, if ever, because the pressure sensitivity by itself is not something that is necessary for virtually 90% of use cases that isn't something to do with digital art so there's no impetus for them to ever implement something on that level.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
this topic is about phones okay, not tablets, don't know what you guys even think you're trying to pull

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hotkeys are for filthy basement dwelling gamers, true professionals click with the tip of their mouse

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Just the tip? Weak. I click with the whole mouse, but I've been doing computers since I was a baby.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
when fullblown neural interfaces come out these guys are gonna miss their cherry mx switches so much, i already feel bad for em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

no one loving cares dog