Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

The option I was talking about was related to playback position saving in music libraries.

And I ended up fixing the problem. My external where I keep all my media was in exfat, and apparently you can’t do hardlinks in exfat! I reformatted the drive and now everything seems to be working perfectly. Finally!

Yes but the error you posted was a OS/VFS layer error, which is what I was helping debug. Why you were hardlinking is just the trigger. :v:

Glad you figured it out. Hardlinking is a FS feature - it maps your new filename to the same inode as the other filename. It's why it cannot cross filesystem boundaries, and as you found out needs to be a feature of the FS you pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Q - The official FAQ says for LG only webOS v2-4 are supported (https://support.plex.tv/articles/204080173-which-smart-tv-models-are-supported/).
Is this actually true? It doesn't seem to make sense that if a tv is TOO new, it would actually start lacking support for plex (latest is webos 6 iirc).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure 2 isn't supported anymore, so that's likely just out of date.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bonzo posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/30/shield-tv-remote-remap-netflix/

Just google and I bet you can find someone selling Plex stickers just for that reason.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfeWmXUKUlX62bkHzyxq5AlPsUc1Lw9hmt_r0BcYyjJlXyEFg/viewform

Edit, I have not ordered one yet, but have had this bookmarked for a hot minute.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

^^^ that is the same way I got my Plex button! Granted, at least a year ago I ordered.

now instead of being annoyed that I hit the Netflix button, I am slightly less annoyed because it opens Plex

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Q - The official FAQ says for LG only webOS v2-4 are supported (https://support.plex.tv/articles/204080173-which-smart-tv-models-are-supported/).
Is this actually true? It doesn't seem to make sense that if a tv is TOO new, it would actually start lacking support for plex (latest is webos 6 iirc).

Going to add this, web os is so slow I use a 30 dollar roll instead. For Plex. Pretty sure it works though. My tv is getting old though so may just be crap.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I have FIOS 1gig/G3100.

My G3100 seems to think my plex server is running a DNS attack. I can't seem to decipher the solution, or the solution isn't in the posts I've found. Anyone experience this before and know how to fix it?

code:
2021 Jun 18 20:05:13	dnsmasq	warning	[SYS.4][SYS] possible DNS-rebind attack detected: xxx-xxx-x-x.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have FIOS 1gig/G3100.

My G3100 seems to think my plex server is running a DNS attack. I can't seem to decipher the solution, or the solution isn't in the posts I've found. Anyone experience this before and know how to fix it?

code:
2021 Jun 18 20:05:13	dnsmasq	warning	[SYS.4][SYS] possible DNS-rebind attack detected: xxx-xxx-x-x.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct

That's Verizon launching the attack, and DNSmasq is rewriting their lovely spec violating result as its best guess about what it should be.

You should look into using a different upstream resolving name server.

Check out a web search on "DNS rebind DNSmasq"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have FIOS 1gig/G3100.

code:

Do you have access to your dnsmasq configuration? If so, you could add:
code:
rebind-domain-ok=plex.direct

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, yes, it's not Verizon, this is how Plex works. Do what Astral suggests.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/what-is-the-reason-behind-dns-rebind-attack/547782/2

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

astral posted:

Do you have access to your dnsmasq configuration? If so, you could add:
code:
rebind-domain-ok=plex.direct

It does not seem like the UI supports dnsmasq configuration.

It does give the option to turn DNS rebinding protection off, but is that a good idea? I assume turning off security options is a bad idea, but I don’t know enough about this particular setting so maybe it’s fine?

It seems like maybe I can edit dnsmasq in SSH, but it seems like the g3100 may have intentionally crippled SSH, so I’ll have to look.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It does not seem like the UI supports dnsmasq configuration.

It does give the option to turn DNS rebinding protection off, but is that a good idea? I assume turning off security options is a bad idea, but I don’t know enough about this particular setting so maybe it’s fine?

It seems like maybe I can edit dnsmasq in SSH, but it seems like the g3100 may have intentionally crippled SSH, so I’ll have to look.

This particular attack is mitigated to an extent by modern browsers. But it seems like you either turn off the protection, or you don't use Plex.

Or you get a different router, I suppose. Or reflash openwrt onto the one you have. Both of these options seem extreme to this humble poster.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You can also add your plex server as a manual connection using its IP.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

astral posted:

You can also add your plex server as a manual connection using its IP.

How would I go about doing that?

The server runs off my windows gaming rig.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

How would I go about doing that?

The server runs off my windows gaming rig.

Give that device a DHCP reservation or static IP so it always gets the same IP address, enter that IP in your plex client(s), and allow the client to connect to the Plex server over an insecure connection. You may need to manually specify your local network IP range in options on the server itself.

This would work for viewing in your home, and works the best if you are the only person watching / only have one account setup for watching. If you've got multiple accounts set up, this may not be a good solution for you.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'm having some issues with playing back older WMV files. And the internet seems to be telling me the solution is turn off hardware acceleration. But that setting only seems to show up in the UI if you have Plex Pass. Is there a configuration or registry key somewhere that I can tweak?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why not transcode them into a modern format,?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why not transcode them into a modern format,?

Two things. There are a bunch of them and I've been poo poo about keeping things organized. Where as editing a config file would be easier.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you don't have Plex Pass, you can't use hardware acceleration, it's why the option isn't there.
So, sadly not the solution you're seeking.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Take a look at Xmedia Recode https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/

Add a bunch of files in different formats, choose output profile, e.g. Google Chromecast (which is what I use for transcoding), pick whatever video and audio output as well, either to transcode or just copy, and let it encode the files.
I've used this to both reencode my own dvd rips and reencoding old downloaded stuff that is not available as streaming or on any disc based media, like xvid/divx, wmv files.

You just let it create a similarly named file in the same folder, then after processing the files, go ahead and delete the old files and rescan the library where they are located.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
How does the local syncing to an iOS device work with Plex? Trying to load this thing up before an extended road trip for my kid. Will I need to authenticate or anything? I likely won’t have any network connection at all

I have plex pass (and also paid for the app ages ago, lol)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Start a few days ahead of the trip, syncing can randomly and silently fail. But you just go to a piece of content and there's a download button there.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, definitely do some dry runs if you can. I'm on Android for the most part, but have used the iOS app on an ancient iPad. I wouldn't say it's "unreliable" overall, but it can be drat frustrating sometimes when I can't get something to sync or play back.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

How does the local syncing to an iOS device work with Plex? Trying to load this thing up before an extended road trip for my kid. Will I need to authenticate or anything? I likely won’t have any network connection at all

If you background the app of let the device sleep it will not finish downloading. Set auto lock to never and keep the app open while the device is charging.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sure would be nice if plexamp had a loving volume slider
i love trying to play music only to be deafened because it turns out these flacs are akin to gunfire in terms of volume

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The ‘loudness leveling’ in the settings should help normalize between tracks at least.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

EL BROMANCE posted:

The ‘loudness leveling’ in the settings should help normalize between tracks at least.

yeah real hard emphasis on should on that one
all it actually does is make the difference in volume between tracks even larger

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, I’ve never noticed an issue personally and I jump between genres like crazy. Will have to keep an ear out for it. It’s only when I go outside I find myself adjusting volume for the most part.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The Plex sync was so unreliable for me that in just broke down and got Waltr to convert and sync them to the TV app or whatever it’s called now

Violator
May 15, 2003

You could also load everything into the VLC app. It sets up a local server that you connect to via a web browser and then you drag and drop files to copy them to the device.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just because I've been doing a bunch of media organization today, if you're a Mac user and you don't have Subler - I advise grabbing it. I've used it for a year or two and it's just such a useful bit of kit.

Essentially a basic multiplexer and metadata info, it's useful for quickly embedding subs into a file, removing audio (especially if the primary track is a foreign dub you don't want etc), and deleting those annoying metadata tags some groups use to embed the folder name into the file which then can be a pain when importing to plex. Quick and easy, a few seconds a file to have them how I want em.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sorry for the off topic post but are there any posts on options to change the home screen on the Shield now that Google is forcing their Android TV UI on everyone?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I need a recommendation for a Plex NAS appliance.

I've got two Plex servers, both on Raspberry Pi 4s. One is at my father's house. But it's become clear is that my dad needs something he can gently caress around with, and "an Ubuntu server install with systemd launching podman containers" isn't that. That's something I can gently caress around with. The dude has decided becoming a video librarian is his hobby now, and he needs his own appliance to baby.

I know Plex runs on every drat thing. Is there a goon favored, Plex-capable, 2-drive NAS that gets regular security updates (HI WESTERN DIGITAL)? He's exclusively ripping DVDs to h264, so server transcoding doesn't need to outperform a RPi4.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 25, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anything by Synology or QNAP will be good enough for Plex. Wirecutter has some good recommendations but expect to pay $200-300 for just the enclosure. And then I’d highly recommend upgrading the RAM for whatever unit you get.

I’ll also refer you to the NAS/Storage thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

It’s skewed more towards heavy duty storage uses but consumer appliance-level NAS discussion is welcome too.

Edit: I have a QNAP TS-251+ that’s been rocking for many years and it can do a couple of 1080p plex streams simultaneously.

Edit 2: and if you’re the tinkering type, I’d recommend stepping up a bit from a base model. It’s a very slippery slope from “I need a NAS to serve up Plex and be a backup” to “i wonder if I could do my own photos hosting/gaming server/load this in Docker…oh poo poo, I need a bigger unit.” Trust me.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 25, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cruft posted:

I need a recommendation for a Plex NAS appliance.

I've got two Plex servers, both on Raspberry Pi 4s. One is at my father's house. But it's become clear is that my dad needs something he can gently caress around with, and "an Ubuntu server install with systemd launching podman containers" isn't that. That's something I can gently caress around with. The dude has decided becoming a video librarian is his hobby now, and he needs his own appliance to baby.

I know Plex runs on every drat thing. Is there a goon favored, Plex-capable, 2-drive NAS that gets regular security updates (HI WESTERN DIGITAL)? He's exclusively ripping DVDs to h264, so server transcoding doesn't need to outperform a RPi4.

i got a synology DS220+ for my birthday, works pretty well

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

i got a synology DS220+ for my birthday, works pretty well

Wow, this looks like just about ideal. Has Synology been pretty good about updating the OS?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Plex sync is so flaky as to be pointless. It's way easier to just copy the files onto a tablet and play them directly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So I finally installed the Plex app on my TVs and everything works beautifully now. Chromecasts are poo poo, the end.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cruft posted:

Wow, this looks like just about ideal. Has Synology been pretty good about updating the OS?

i can't say for sure, i only got it on the 11th (my birthday) lmao
i've had a pretty good time with mine, though

plus their RAID is very nice, doesnt waste any disk space by limiting it to the size of the smallest disk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

i can't say for sure, i only got it on the 11th (my birthday) lmao
i've had a pretty good time with mine, though

plus their RAID is very nice, doesnt waste any disk space by limiting it to the size of the smallest disk

I think it uses btrfs, which is what I'm doing on my RPi4s. It's a pretty cool filesystem.

Anyway, yeah, this looks like a pretty capable Plex device. I'll check out that QNAP too, but having worked with QNAPs in the past, I'm guessing it'll be outside my price range.