Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1193430/Vapormaze/

v a p o r m a z e is a physics-based roguelite FPS that has a nice simple look to it and sees you trying to escape a maze by shooting robots and stuff

quote:

vapormaze is a roguelite first-person shooter in a vaporwave maze.
You are trapped in a maze of lies. To escape, you must find the truth. Shoot robots, jump spikes, buy guns, get upgrades, throw bombs and explode the system. Can you escape?

The game takes you through mazes filled with dangerous robots and obstacles. In each maze level, Helios will share his knowledge and ideas. Maybe you can reflect about them and find a meaning while wandering the corridors. Maybe not.

Death is permanent, but some progression is saved between runs.

Average session is between 20 minutes and 1 hour.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395400/The_Corruption_Within/

The Corruption Within is a point and click adventure narrative game. Art doesn't really resonate with me but it does look like an interesting story.

quote:

Synopsis: You have just enjoyed a camping holiday with your family when your wife and two young children go missing. With no way to contact anyone you head towards the only source of civilization for miles around - a grand old mansion by a lake. You soon find yourself drawn into a bigger mystery while you desperately try to find your family.

Artistic Style: The game employs a style that mixes realism with surrealism, which compliments the atmosphere of the story. The artwork is detailed low-res pixel art using a custom-made colour palette.

Game Style: The Corruption Within is a psychological thriller first-person point & click adventure game set in the Victorian era. There will be plenty of puzzles to solve, secrets to discover, characters who may help or mislead you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1218810/_Fareo_Shadowlands/

Fareo Shadowlands is a not particularly great-looking game for my money but looks kind of interesting with some unique strategy mechani9cs.

quote:

"Fareo: Shadowlands" is a turn-based RPG which is both challenging and of deck building depth.

The story takes place in Fareo, a world with fast-growing machinery and magic. When the creatures from all over the world were busy blending the flames of war after defeating Sakia, a weird rift appeared in Kolytte. The rift connect the real world to Shadowlands that devour energy to expand. Auland, Chantigard, The Council and Guardians of Nature are grouping their army to investigate the Shadowlands.

Replace the characters' movement distance in traditional SRPGs with the distinctive "Command Card". In the battle, you can not only experience the pleasure of combat scenes, but also enjoy the satisfaction brought by strategic resource management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Chicory: A colorful Tale released today! It's the same person who made Wandersong, if you played that game. I remember playing the demo a few months back and being fairly intrigued, so I'm jumping on this immediately and will try to remember to come back and edit in some of my impressions of the game:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123450/Chicory_A_Colorful_Tale/

Edit: I am on chapter 3 and I have committed so many art crimes, please send help. The game is pretty fun thus far and I think the writing holds up past the demo cut-off, which hardly surprises me given Wandersong.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 11, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Obligatum VII posted:

Chicory: A colorful Tale released today! It's the same person who made Wandersong, if you played that game. I remember playing the demo a few months back and being fairly intrigued, so I'm jumping on this immediately and will try to remember to come back and edit in some of my impressions of the game:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123450/Chicory_A_Colorful_Tale/

Huh they said on that new games stream that this was for PS4 and PS5 so I thought it was an exclusive but it's not! It's also on steam. Really wanna try this one out, I enjoyed Wandersong and this looks just as unique

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Play posted:

Huh they said on that new games stream that this was for PS4 and PS5 so I thought it was an exclusive but it's not! It's also on steam. Really wanna try this one out, I enjoyed Wandersong and this looks just as unique

It's extremely good! I'd also argue that it's really meant to be played with a mouse, it's not bad with a controller at all but it's more fun when you can more easily paint exactly where you want.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Experimenting with putting some pictures up so people can see what the games look like. Usually that helps me decide just as much or more as any words written about them. A nice Friday for game releases!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/761010/Wave_Break/

Wave Break I believe used to be a Stadia exclusive. The so-called "world's first skateboating game." I think it looks cool

quote:

Wave Break is the world's first skateBOATING game, inspired by arcade skateboarding classics. Grind, grab, kickflip and shoot your way through an explosive 80s crime-filled Miami Vice themed world.

Enjoy an episodic single player campaign, ranked online multiplayer, multiple custom game modes, and an advanced park creator. From tropical beaches to frozen tundras, ride the waves and score the world's biggest combo with style.

Challenge yourself with familiar objectives, collectibles and high score missions. It’s skateBOAT or die as the rivalry between Wave Break’s usual suspects plays out in an episodic storyline involving guns, kickflips, and blood money.

Create the park of your dreams using our advanced in-game Park Creator! Create and edit ONLINE with friends, or do it solo for super-focus. [Upload custom images, 3D models, and share your parks on the Steam Workshop.

Vibe out to Wave Break’s fresh and 100% stream safe soundtrack featuring original songs from some of the best synthwave artists in the scene like Timecop1983, Kalax, and many more!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644140/Valley_of_No_Roads/

Valley of No Roads is a chill, city building puzzle type game with proc gen landscapes. Another genre I could definitely enjoy.

quote:

Valley of No Roads is a city building puzzle, that creates beautiful sceneries while you find your way to expand it further. You place blocks of houses that come in different shapes and sizes, surround fields, towers, gain points for abilities and create bridges to cross lakes and rivers. In Valley of No Roads you can enjoy the view and build the town as you want it or try to make it as dense and optimal for competing at the leaderboards.

You start the game with few blocks made of houses, placing those on the corners of previous houses. Every area has its tasks to be fulfilled, requiring you to place certain amount of blocks, creating new bodies of water or migrating a market square to the area. These tasks vary and by fullfilling those, you unlock new parts of the map. You are rewarded of every block you place and every task you fullfill, so gaining points can be tricky!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1384160/GUILTY_GEAR_STRIVE/

Guilty Gear -Strive- is the "conclusion" to the anime-style fighting game series. 2D character frames on 3D backgrounds provides a nice look, and the series is famed for its deep combat.

quote:

Discover the Smell of the Game with Guilty Gear -Strive-! Immerse yourself in new gameplay mechanics designed to be simple and welcoming for fighting game newcomers, yet deep and creative for veterans. Ride the Fire into a heavy metal inspired alternate future full of over-the-top action, style and fun! Blazing!

“Guilty Gear -Strive-“ is the latest entry in the critically acclaimed Guilty Gear fighting game franchise. Created by Daisuke Ishiwatari and developed by Arc System Works, “Guilty Gear -Strive-“ upholds the series’ reputation for a high octane soundtrack, groundbreaking hybrid 2D/3D cell-shaded graphics and intense, rewarding gameplay.

Head into the final confrontation with That Man, the person responsible for all the destruction and damage to the world and and it's inhabitants. Join Sol Badguy, his rival Ky Kiske, and a total starting roster of 15 unique characters as they face the astonishing conclusion to a story 20 years in the making!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367300/Blade_Assault/

Blade Assault is a 2D roguelite combat platformer with some wave-based enemy mechanics and a complex and responsive combat system.

quote:

Blade Assault is a 2D action rogue-lite platformer with beautiful pixel art set in a desolate sci-fi world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

After the devastating Red Stone War, the world is divided into three regions: the mutant infested outside grounds, the Undercity where people have fled to seek refuge from mutants, and the sky city Esperanza where the rich and powerful rule over the world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395400/The_Corruption_Within/

Has a demo

quote:

The Corruption Within is a psychological thriller first-person point & click adventure game set in the Victorian era, with an emphasis on strong narrative, intriguing characters and puzzle-solving.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Play posted:

Experimenting with putting some pictures up so people can see what the games look like. Usually that helps me decide just as much or more as any words written about them.

My dude, I want to tell you that this is one of my favorite threads on SA and it's because of posters like yourself.

I appreciate all the time you and the other posters spend on these posts and your take on these games. They're really really enjoyable to read. Thank you!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

My dude, I want to tell you that this is one of my favorite threads on SA and it's because of posters like yourself.

I appreciate all the time you and the other posters spend on these posts and your take on these games. They're really really enjoyable to read. Thank you!
It's a great thread - serious props to the people writing these up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hellllloooooo Saturday~~~

I love it when a new puzzles oriented narrative first person game comes out. It scratches that itch a little bit until Firmament comes out

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

Hellllloooooo Saturday~~~

I love it when a new puzzles oriented narrative first person game comes out. It scratches that itch a little bit until Firmament comes out

Oh. OH. I should have probably paid attention to what this was. I'm going to have a bit more stressful saturday than i expected.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I got this and while it has some rough edges, I've had a bunch of fun with it. The way the camera works is kind of neat, and the dev has been dialing in some things like the gun handling. There is a demo, but I'm not sure if the changes are included in that yet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049710/Minute_of_Islands/

Minute of Islands is a hand-drawn (and very beautiful) puzzle platformer (mostly puzzle) where you explore some islands in a very strange world and try to solve some puzzles to save it.

quote:

Explore strange and wonderful islands and dark labyrinths below in this narrative puzzle platformer. Guide young mechanic Mo on her quest to repair a world on the brink of collapse. The powerful Omni Switch at your disposal may not be enough to fix the damage that hides beneath the surface...

You are Mo, a skilled tinkerer, living with her family on a pastoral archipelago, once inhabited by an ancient race of inscrutable giants. Their otherworldly but vital machines, festering in the underbellies of the islands themselves, must be kept going or an almost forgotten threat will swallow all. Mo vows to restore the hidden engines in time, but is this truly what she needs?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893720/One_Hand_Clapping/

One Hand Clapping is an early access *microphone* based game where you literally sing into a microphone in order to play the game. Sort of a spiritual sequel to Wandersong I guess. From what I've seen you use your voice to make platforms where a higher pitch is a higher portion and a lower pitch is lower, although I'm sure there are various mechanics at play. I don't have a mic on my pc which is a shame because I'd like to play this.

quote:

One Hand Clapping is a 2D platformer that invites you to sing into your microphone to solve musical puzzles and discover the power of your voice as it changes the world.

This exceptionally unique game provides you the freedom to express yourself through its mechanics, helping you build confidence in both your singing voice and the voice within you. Don't worry about hitting the wrong notes, One Hand Clapping is all about taking risks and learning from your mistakes. Find out just how far your voice can take you! The world of One Hand Clapping is full of vibrant landscapes and mysterious characters portrayed through a warm, minimalist aesthetic that inspires self-expression without overwhelming the senses.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1547890/Lets_Build_a_Zoo/

Let's Build a Zoo is a more cute version, and pixel art based, of the zoo creation/management genre, except you can combine animals apparently.

quote:

It's time to Build a Zoo! Construct and decorate enclosures, buy and breed animals, hire zookeepers and vets... then try your hand at DNA splicing, and stitch together over 300,000 different types of animal. This can only go smoothly...

Lumberhill is a 1-4 person party-style game about completing tasks while various issues try to trip you up.

quote:

A crazy multiplayer party game in which lumberjacks try to complete tasks with nature fighting them every step of the way. Race against the clock, fight wildfires, pirates, and extremely annoying monkeys as you travel around the world and through time. Play online/local co-op and pvp or play solo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/890890/Green_With_Energy/

Green With Energy is an interesting looking puzzle/management style game where you try and design the most efficient and durable power grid system.

quote:

A relaxing game where you become a power engineer and iteratively design, test and build power grid designs. Balance budget, efficiency, and environmental impact, across a variety of biomes and climates. Will you build resilient systems, or cobble something together with duct tape? It's your choice.

Take on the role of an engineer and work towards a green future. Your goal is to build self-sufficient power grids for towns and cities and cut out dependence on fossil fuels. Evaluate the unique needs of the local area and design solutions making best use of the elements around you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Play posted:

I don't have a mic on my pc which is a shame because I'd like to play this.

There are cheap USB mics that'll probably work well enough.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

There are cheap USB mics that'll probably work well enough.

I've been thinking about getting a headset thing, both for games that are better on headphones instead of speakers and to interact in the very few online multiplayer games I play. That should work right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1383580/Mechone/

Early access

quote:

Mechone is a 3D Real time Strategy Game based on Four races. the Pyrolytes, the Semitrytes, the Hydrolytes and the Uncronytes. you have to use platforms to move and traversethe game. you can use and target your units in a strategical placement like chess. its not a management game. its not a diolouge driven game. its not even wa walk and start shooting game. this is a new genre of strategy game.

Strategic Ai
The oppnent of this game is a strategic Ai. there are four cults to choose from. the Enemies strategise their attack and a in a unique way they play against you. You will face a strategical tactical environment in this game. there are upto 3 enemies depending on the level maps. You will be playing against a computer rathar thna a human opponent as it is not a multiplayer game. the Multiplayer is not featured due to overuse of player to player interaction and the lack of building features in the games like most RTS.

Absolutely fascinated by the lack of editing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

not for get the ammos

quote:

The Ammos
The ammos of theis games are semi unique meaning they have bullets but as blades and electric charges and power surges. the ammos are not the usuall blow up king kong but they have been thoughfully organised to go with the mechanical theme of the solo miltaray startegy.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

startegy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

As funny as the description is the videos are almost weirder because it's impossible to tell what is supposed to be happening in them, if anything is actually happening at all lol.

At least it has a unique look I suppose

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One of the videos is literally just a very laggy video of the loading screen?? The generic digital geometric angled whatever wallpaper they use as a playing field is really distracting. What a weird project.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049710/Minute_of_Islands/

Minute of Islands is a hand-drawn (and very beautiful) puzzle platformer (mostly puzzle) where you explore some islands in a very strange world and try to solve some puzzles to save it.

I appreciate how much you contribute to this thread and have a feeling this was answered in an earlier post but do you try all of the games you post here or are these descriptions being curated/compiled from somewhere else? The main reason I ask is because this caught my eye but even the positive reviews I'm seeing are essentially saying the puzzles are less of a focus and imply this is more of a narrative walking sim style game than a full on puzzle game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Superrodan posted:

I appreciate how much you contribute to this thread and have a feeling this was answered in an earlier post but do you try all of the games you post here or are these descriptions being curated/compiled from somewhere else? The main reason I ask is because this caught my eye but even the positive reviews I'm seeing are essentially saying the puzzles are less of a focus and imply this is more of a narrative walking sim style game than a full on puzzle game.

Sometimes I've already played the games by the time I post and sometimes not. This one not, although I saw it played played in beta form on youtube a while back since the art intrigued me. I think it's still true that it's more of a narrative puzzle game than a platformer, since the movement is slow and doesn't have the qualities of a platformer, but it may also be more of a walking sim than either of those things, I don't really know.

So just take those sections as my general impressions which may or may not be based on playing the game, and have exactly as much credibility as that would suggest! That is to say, very little.

Couldn't find any good-looking games today but I did play this one:

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/890890/Green_With_Energy/

Green With Energy is an interesting looking puzzle/management style game where you try and design the most efficient and durable power grid system.

It's bad. I couldn't even figure out how to work it, I did what it seemed to be vaguely instructing and nothing seemed to happen. In general it didn't look great either. There is some promise in what is essentially a puzzle based around energy efficiency and consistency but at this point it's not there at all

Edit: This game, on the other hand, looks interesting and is releasing on Steam today having apparently already been on the app store for a while:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1502710/Agent_Intercept/

Agent Intercept seems to be a sort of driving adventure game with linear levels/encounters and a vehicle that can transform from car, to boat, to plane, to sand sled, etc. all with the overarching narrative of trying to stop the conspiracy of a massive criminal organization. Definite 70s action movie vibes. Looking at some reviews, though, they complain that it looks and feels like a mobile game and that the mechanics don't actually deliver. I don't think anyone has played it on PC yet though.

quote:

Leap into the driver's seat of an epic narrative of intrigue, betrayal, and unbelievable set-pieces. Stop the nefarious criminal organization CLAW and save the world from total destruction in your slick, souped-up, transforming vehicle.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 16, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Agent Intercept is on Apple Arcade and it’s got a bit of a Spy Hunter vibe for sure but wasn’t really interesting enough to stick with for long, even my 8 year old got bored of it pretty fast.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Agent Intercept is on Apple Arcade and it’s got a bit of a Spy Hunter vibe for sure but wasn’t really interesting enough to stick with for long, even my 8 year old got bored of it pretty fast.

That's a shame. Nice art and a very cool idea, it deserves a good execution imo. I have the attention span of a 4 year old so if it couldn't keep your 8 year old interested it's probably hopeless

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076200/Roguebook/

Roguebook is ANOTHER procgen roguelike deckbuilder with RPG elements from Richard Garfield, who is apparently the creator of M:TG. It could be pretty dece despite the overused (at this point) genres. There are card-based battles for your two heros (you can choose from 6) and a procgen overworld to move around on, find things and enter battles.

quote:

The ancients speak of a Book written since time immemorial containing all the world's legends. After many fabulous adventures, recounted in Faeria – Chronicles of Gagana, this relic was lost in a well of Faeria. Through contact with this source of magic, the Book developed a wicked free will of its own and became the Roguebook!

You are trapped in the Book of Lore of Faeria, and each page represents a new challenge. Lead your two heroes to victory in this roguelike deckbuilder developed in partnership with Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering™. Put together the best synergies between cards, relics and abilities, and take on the Roguebook.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...EhoCu0oQAvD_BwE

Fabled Lands is an early access old-school wrpg based on the gamebooks of the same name. The overworld map has a nice look to it and I'm eager to give this one a try.

quote:

Fabled Lands is a challenging old-school narrative RPG set in an open world. Complete quests, fight, trade goods and develop your character. Explore a vast land of adventure: travel across the war-torn kingdom, survive the plains of howling darkness, and escape the Court of Hidden Faces.

The original Fabled Lands gamebooks, written by Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson, and beloved by many, have been transformed into an epic, digital adventure of interactive fiction with a massive game world. Be anyone you want: explorer, merchant, priest, scholar, thief, wizard, or soldier of fortune. Buy ships, goods, and townhouses, join a temple, risk desperate adventures in the wilderness, or embroil yourself in court intrigues and the sudden violence of city backstreets. Undertake missions that will earn you allies and enemies, or remain a free agent and choose your own objectives. With hundreds of quests and locations to explore, the choices are all yours.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1587710/Fossil_Corner/

Fossil Corner is an uber-casual puzzle game where you solve evolutionary puzzles via looking at fossils and arranging them correctly in terms of evolutionary process.

quote:

In Fossil Corner, you're a retired paleontologist, collecting fossils and solving evolutionary puzzles in your old garage.

-Grow your dream fossil collection! Countless species are possible
-Solve chill, tactile, procedurally generated puzzles
-Retirement hasn't been easy. Use your old computer to email your friends. Maybe that'll help
-Stare out the window. Watch the leaves blow by and hear the sounds of fall
-Features an original soundtrack by Dylan Payne & Bobby Volpendesta!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Play posted:

New games:
Fabled Lands is an early access old-school wrpg based on the gamebooks of the same name. The overworld map has a nice look to it and I'm eager to give this one a try.

Yeah, this is a purchase for me as this series blew my mind as a young boy as the books served as expansions that built up to a giant adventure, instead of being linear serials such as the Lone Wolf books. I think there was an LP in the forum a few years ago as well.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 20, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1640100/War_Mines_WW1/

quote:

Play using the logic of traditional minesweeper games in this reinterpretation of the classic game. Interact with the story of World War I (the Great War) by solving the minesweeper puzzles and finding landmines.

There's one for WW2 as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431950/Age_of_Fear_4_The_Iron_Killer/

quote:

Play as Angela, a fearless young Vampire Hunter on the trail of a brutal murderer. Along with the mysterious Nazell, embark on an epic quest into the heart of the criminal underworld. Age of Fear is a complex turn-based strategy series (full of jokes) that fuses a tabletop wargame with RPG elements.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1277500/Skeletal_Avenger/

Early Access, from 10tons

quote:

Take control of a head-lobbing skeletal warrior on a quest for vengeance. Your ultimate goal is to avenge your own death but first you need to master your weapons and outwit your enemies. Skeletal Avenger is a rogue-lite hack'n'slash rushing head-first into battle!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, this is a purchase for me as this series blew my mind as a young boy as the books served as expansions that built up to a giant adventure, instead of being linear serials such as the Lone Wolf books. I think there was an LP in the forum a few years ago as well.

Oh man, I had only two Fabled Lands books (living overseas made them real hard to get) but they were amazing, the freedom to explore this enormous world, progressing using that codeword system, getting tougher and more heavily equipped, it was awesome.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Wildermyth is out in full release and on sale and is genuinely one of the most goddamn charming games I’ve ever seen. It’s a sort of light SRPG but the real joy is in the story vignettes that deepen character relationships. I have no idea how many trie data structures their dialog set is made up of but it’s incredible.

Im one who thinks video game “writing” is in a lightless crater below airport novel at best, and this game is proving me wrong. I just had a combat where one of my characters got caught out by a huge tentacled boss and he was about to die to acid. The game let me choose to have the guy next to him - his father, who was literally in his last battle before retirement - jump in front and take the death blow. The game makes the story part of the gameplay in a way I’ve seen only Banner Saga attempt.

I’d write more but I’m going to start a new journey.

.random
May 7, 2007

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Wildermyth is out in full release and on sale and is genuinely one of the most goddamn charming games I’ve ever seen. It’s a sort of light SRPG but the real joy is in the story vignettes that deepen character relationships. I have no idea how many trie data structures their dialog set is made up of but it’s incredible.

Im one who thinks video game “writing” is in a lightless crater below airport novel at best, and this game is proving me wrong. I just had a combat where one of my characters got caught out by a huge tentacled boss and he was about to die to acid. The game let me choose to have the guy next to him - his father, who was literally in his last battle before retirement - jump in front and take the death blow. The game makes the story part of the gameplay in a way I’ve seen only Banner Saga attempt.

I’d write more but I’m going to start a new journey.

I just picked it up the other day myself. It is.. hmm. Cute? I think that’s the word I’d use. It’s a cute experience.

The gameplay itself is fine - but with three classes and a choice of 1/3 of a fairly decent pool of skills per level, and a not especially compelling equipment system, you’re not playing the game for the combat character customization. It’s the idea that is really nifty. There are 4 or 5 prewritten campaigns with overarching stories but randomly generated details (including your characters and their personalities) along the way, and then infinite fully random ones without the overarching story. The art style is really great. The number of random weird events is good. The UI isn’t amazing but once I stopped trying to use a game pad it was much easier. You can definitely feel like you grow to know some randomly generated characters for a little bit.

Overall I think I like it? I don’t know who I’d even recommend it to, but if you want a cute little experience where you might be able to fight a battle against the gorgon hordes with your warrior and rogue lesbian parents and their warrior son who now has the spirit of the storm inside him joining their long time companion - a mystic who has slowly transformed into a crystal creature - and her quiet husband warrior who kind of loves her but kind of just does his own thing eh whatever…. Then this game might be for you?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’d say it’s for people who like Gloomhaven but want more procedural generated story to go with it. I like it a lot, but early game is so brutal I’m exhausted by the time I get to the end of the first chapter and have yet to go through chapter 2 in anything. Not having armor makes combat a little too life-or-death.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are you playing on a higher difficulty than the standard one? I haven’t found early game to be so bad so far. Maybe I should try it at a higher difficulty as well.

(Also I’d definitely recommend it to others if you’re considering!)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Having played a few of the non-tutorial campaigns now, my feeling is that the early game difficulty is just right at the default standard at the beginning, but then once you're well established, the combat basically becomes a formality by midgame/endgame. But if I went back and notched the difficulty up, i'd get chewed up without fail even in the first few fights of a chapter.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Oh man, I had only two Fabled Lands books (living overseas made them real hard to get) but they were amazing, the freedom to explore this enormous world, progressing using that codeword system, getting tougher and more heavily equipped, it was awesome.

I played it a bit and got myself killed in the very first combat encounter I managed to find lol. It looks fun, with tons of little details and secrets to discover, but it also has that old school tough going on for sure. I believe there is an easier setting where skill checks and combat aren't so brutal, but I wanna give it a few good gos first.

Not a lot of decent games came out over the weekend or today afaict. Bit of a dry patch at the moment

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427940/Industries_of_Titan/

Early access

quote:

Create a sprawling industrial city. Compete with the other rival corporations of Titan for resources, territory, and power. Do battle with ships, technology, influence, or the sheer productive power of your factories. Stake your claim to the Industries of Titan in this innovative sim/strategy game!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
We should thank all the Epic Store customer who early access tested this game for us a year in advance.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

This one was okay, it's nice that it has a decent-enough tutorial and it has a good look. Didn't really stand out to me much so far beyond the art but I'll have to play a full game though. Kind of reminds me more of Frostpunk than Sim City.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/981890/Olympic_Games_Tokyo_2020__The_Official_Video_Game/

Unsurprisingly Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 The Official Video Game has pretty poor reviews from purchasers, as it's missing events from the London version and looks a little less realistic. A shame because I've always thought multisport games were really fun. But the only one who's done them halfway well is Nintendo, and maybe some of the older winter Olympics games.

quote:

The Olympic Games are back, and this time it's your chance for glory! Whether you play with friends, family, or go for gold on the global leaderboards, this is a party game that anyone can pick up and enjoy!

Prepare to unleash the competitor within as you create your athlete, customize their skills and pick the perfect costume. Why settle for standard sportswear when you can take centre stage as a pirate, astronaut or cowboy?

Choose between 18 fun-fueled sporting events—from Tennis and Football to the 100m, Basketball and Boxing—there’s always a record to beat and a score to settle.

Going for gold has never been this much fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421790/Labyrinth_City_Pierre_the_Maze_Detective/

Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective is an adventure/puzzle game with some beautifully complex illustrations. Apparently this is based on a series of children's books created by Japanese artist Hirofumi Kamigaki.

quote:

From the award-winning studio behind Homo Machina (2018) and Californium (2016), Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective is another one-of-a-kind revolutionary puzzle.

Fun, engaging, and beautiful, Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective lets you explore the visually stunning universe created by IC4DESIGN. Playing as detective Pierre, you must find your way and solve puzzles to retrieve the magical stone stolen by the nefarious Mr. X. On your way to getting the Maze Stone back, you will meet adorable and hilarious characters, travelling literal works of art, and interact with a world that was previously only available on paper!

A terrible crime has been committed at the Opera City Museum! Mr. X, Pierre's sworn enemy, has stolen and fled with the Maze Stone, a magical artefact that turns everything around it into a labyrinth. Under the call of the Opera City Museum, Pierre must undertake a new adventure that will lead him from the museum, to the city streets, to a castle in the sky, a haunted mansion and much more! There is no time to lose, lest the whole world turns into a maze!

...and of course you've probably all heard about Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance coming out to quite poor reception. Who knows, maybe they can fix the issues. I got scared off when a review was saying how awful this game is to solo, it's totally balanced for mutiplayer, and solo is a difficult and unrewarding slog

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Had to dp for this one:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1544360/LEGO_Builders_Journey/

LEGO: Builder's Journey looks gorgeous, like actual lego pieces, and is a puzzle game essentially. Just the vibe of this one is enough to get me to at least try it out, but I am hoping since it's a puzzle game that it isn't for children.

quote:

LEGO Builder’s Journey is an atmospheric, geometric puzzle game that asks us to sometimes follow the instructions… and sometimes to break the rules.

Take your time to experiment with free-form puzzle solving while immersing yourself in a poetic world of LEGO® bricks. Throughout the narrative, there will be ups and downs, challenges, and celebrations. Figuring out who we are and what we become is the Builder’s Journey.

The breathtaking LEGO brick world is brought to life with the most accurately rendered LEGO elements yet to feature on screens, including stunning ray tracing elements.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Play posted:

Had to dp for this one:

LEGO: Builder's Journey looks gorgeous, like actual lego pieces, and is a puzzle game essentially. Just the vibe of this one is enough to get me to at least try it out, but I am hoping since it's a puzzle game that it isn't for children.

Looks like a great game for Switch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That lego game is on apple Arcade if you have a sub there in a bundle or whatever!

I think I tried it and it didn’t grab me but it looked nice!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It looks neat but apparently it's only like 90 minutes long, for $20 that's a bit steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Play posted:

Had to dp for this one:

OH double POST.

Anyway game looks real good, a nice chill time.