Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A youtube fella did a breakdown of Raptor FA targets

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SI-uMyK1k&t=973s

I liked some of the ideas.

Vid is really well done. Even if you don’t care about the Raptors at all might be worth watching since they explain some basic cap stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rick posted:

Vid is really well done. Even if you don’t care about the Raptors at all might be worth watching since they explain some basic cap stuff.

Agreed, the cap explanation stuff was helpful.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
looking at the list of free agents trying to find MLE level wings Utah could go after and man it's grim I'm just muttering things like "well if Otto Porter Jr could just stay healthy..." to myself

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

looking at the list of free agents trying to find MLE level wings Utah could go after and man it's grim I'm just muttering things like "well if Otto Porter Jr could just stay healthy..." to myself

one of the lingering pandemic images i have is otto porter partying with kirkland champagne in the middle of the outbreak.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

It's a really bad free agent class.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Rick posted:

It's a really bad free agent class.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Will someone finally pay Noel

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He’s definitely going to be a target for Charlotte and they’re going to overpay someone somehow to get a center

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

three posted:

What about Ben Simmons is out of his control?

I meant like Philly media and fans dogging on him. Obviously Ben can choose to shoot whenever, but KD is proof positive that players are reading and plugged into what folks say about them online. KD posts through it, Ben seems to have gotten the yips or whatever.

The goalie comparison was good, since like a goalie he seems to be doubting fundamentals (shooting for Ben/positioning for goals) and then second guessing (passing out for Ben/overplaying the shot for a goalie).

Not implying he has a mental disease, just a lot of bad vibes directed at him and a clear case of the yips.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So what your saying he needs to spend the off-season learning the art of the poster

Because I agree

Kinkamache
Jun 12, 2021
and them I found this LOL

Shaq on Ben Simmons: 'If he was in my locker room I would have knocked his a-- out'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

So what your saying he needs to spend the off-season learning the art of the poster

Because I agree

I think all athletes would benefit from being posters.

Roberto Luongo is the first pro poster I remember distinctly, and he lived his best life despite the haters.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1407329086041595905?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Those seem like 3 good choices. I'd like to see someone new get a chance in Hammon/Billups but that situation looks great for D'Antoni too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

one of the lingering pandemic images i have is otto porter partying with kirkland champagne in the middle of the outbreak.

Thank you for reminding me of this. As a fellow Costco Guy, I feel a deep spiritual bond with OPJ.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1407372846670749706?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hope this also includes "Swinging arms into defender in legal guarding position"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I want Hammon to get a job but Portland and D'Antoni is such a good fit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Don't gotta play defense when you score 150 every game

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Mavs are going to mess around finding a GM and miss out on the best available coaches. Yay.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Azathoth posted:

Don't gotta play defense when you score 150 every game

I have discovered this is not true

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

havelock posted:

Mavs are going to mess around finding a GM and miss out on the best available coaches. Yay.

:smith::hf::smith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

I have discovered this is not true

As did Suns fans

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
edit: wrong thread

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 22, 2021

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1407462153704165376?s=19

Kinkamache
Jun 12, 2021

Lockback posted:

Hope this also includes "Swinging arms into defender in legal guarding position"

James Harden will have a real hared time next sseason

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1407496373885452290?s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m not an expert but KD doesn’t seem as great on defense as he used to be and I’m wondering if that’s the case or not. when people say “the old KD is back” I wonder if it’s that my memory of him is just rose colored glasses or that people are giving him a pass on defense because of the injury.

(I don’t mean this question as a diss cause the fact that he’s still an offensive monster is loving amazing and I love watching him play :) )

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He's definitely a step or two slower. It's easy to miss it on offense because he really didn't need much speed there with his length but it really does show up on defense. Still is probably the Nets best defender.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

indigi posted:

I’m not an expert but KD doesn’t seem as great on defense as he used to be and I’m wondering if that’s the case or not. when people say “the old KD is back” I wonder if it’s that my memory of him is just rose colored glasses or that people are giving him a pass on defense because of the injury.

(I don’t mean this question as a diss cause the fact that he’s still an offensive monster is loving amazing and I love watching him play :) )

He’s much worse on defense though still fairly good. He can’t make the hairpin turns to block shots of guys coming in behind him or switch relentlessly onto smaller guys cause he’ll get burnt now. Still long as gently caress with good awareness so there’s a floor there

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

indigi posted:

Above me answered well, but I'd also say while he isn't as good at perimeter D (which is a lot easier to "spot" but only 1 part of defense), he spent more of this season dropping back or doing weakside-D stuff, which doesn't stand out as much but is generally more important.

So while he's not quite as good, he's adjusted what he's doing on defense to make up for it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

indigi posted:

KD has never really gotten enough credit for how good his defense was so when people say he's back they just mean the shot making.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thanks for the great answers everyone. perimeter defense being easier to see definitely is part of it + I have no idea what to look for away from the ball lol

MourningView posted:

KD has never really gotten enough credit for how good his defense was so when people say he's back they just mean the shot making.

that also makes a lot of sense

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

to be fair, he did kill a guy (by accident). also

WSJ posted:

The 6-foot-9-inch Mr. Harper says he lost 40 pounds in detention after being fed paltry meals of sometimes bug-infested rice.

Des Moines Register posted:

Harper said he lost 30 pounds while mostly on a rice-based diet. “They treated me well,” he said.
lol

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 23, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

to be fair, he did kill a guy (by accident). also

lol

good ol WSJ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Like a lot of dudes that’s because he was just bad for the first half decade of his career. He only really became a positive defender late in his thunder days and with the warriors. It’s hard to shake a rep when people only watch a few games a year

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
KD manned up and guarded anyone on the Bucks, instead of hiding like Giannis. I was impressed.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

three posted:

KD manned up and guarded anyone on the Bucks, instead of hiding like Giannis. I was impressed.

He also gassed the gently caress out and was eating the front of the rim by the end of the series. It’s a bad plan to have your offensive engine also guarding the best players on the other team, not that the Nets had much choice

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

Like a lot of dudes that’s because he was just bad for the first half decade of his career. He only really became a positive defender late in his thunder days and with the warriors. It’s hard to shake a rep when people only watch a few games a year

I think he got good at it earlier than people give him credit for he just makes everything look so easy that it seemed like he wasn't trying, as opposed to Russ who was/is a bad defender but had a strong rep on the end forever because he's always flying around and looks like he's trying hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

He was good pretty early on in the Thunder days (as soon as he put on a little bit of weight). I loved the stretch where people were like "Durant, Ibaka and Perkins are all terrible at defense" while the thunder were like top 5 defense. What he got better at was swallowing up guys at the perimeter, but he's always had great hands and he knows how to use his length.