Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Newegg's stuff that is fulfilled by Newegg is largely legit. Careful with SSDs though (regardless of retailer) as they tend to replace components with shittier components.
Linus just did a story on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've gotten burned by Newegg affiliates or whatever they're called. Quadruple check before you buy any item that you're buying it from Newegg and not a reseller partner in China.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sites turning into "marketplaces" universally sucks rear end. I get why they do it - more money for them without having to do any of the work of shipping product - but it sucks on the buyer's end.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've personally basically come full circle, where I use Amazon for window shopping and then buy the actual product direct from the manufacturer. Buying anything second hand off the Internet is basically never happening again for me unless I can examine the product first.
:same: Hell, half the time I just use amazon to have another review pool to look at - actual window shopping on Amazon is a huge chore if you don't want whatever the top 2-3 things in a given search term/category are. (Bonus points if the top things are just color variations on one product or newer/older versions of the same thing)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks and understood.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Haifisch posted:

Sites turning into "marketplaces" universally sucks rear end. I get why they do it - more money for them without having to do any of the work of shipping product - but it sucks on the buyer's end.

:same: Hell, half the time I just use amazon to have another review pool to look at - actual window shopping on Amazon is a huge chore if you don't want whatever the top 2-3 things in a given search term/category are. (Bonus points if the top things are just color variations on one product or newer/older versions of the same thing)

And the random 'promoted' items when you're trying to search for something specific.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I buy and make dice for D&D and the current hotness is hollow metal dice - they've been available for a few years but just recently at a reasonable price. Over the last few months they went from Etsy-only for genuine, handmade ones, to being widely available on Ali. Now Etsy is flooded with "genuine, handmade" hollow dice that are just purchased in bulk from Ali and resold at a 30-50% markup. Just a big old scammy circle that must happen for literally thousands of products, I happened to be close/knowledgeable enough to see this one unfold in real time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A time honored tradition- a ton of stuff on Etsy is repackaged/glued together junk. It’s fun doing reverse image searches on jewelry.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sanford posted:

I buy and make dice for D&D and the current hotness is hollow metal dice - they've been available for a few years but just recently at a reasonable price. Over the last few months they went from Etsy-only for genuine, handmade ones, to being widely available on Ali. Now Etsy is flooded with "genuine, handmade" hollow dice that are just purchased in bulk from Ali and resold at a 30-50% markup. Just a big old scammy circle that must happen for literally thousands of products, I happened to be close/knowledgeable enough to see this one unfold in real time.

There's a goon making dice in his basement as a full-time job and selling on etsy who sees his designs pop up as knockoffs. It sucks rear end how quick stuff gets counterfeit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been thinking about selling some of my wood carving on Etsy and this is giving me ideas for how to a) write my ad copy ("you will never see this exact item on etsy again") and b) justify raising my prices.

I'll have to go through the effort of doing photos for every single item, but that's ok if I'm getting paid for the effort.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I bought a mouse on Newegg a few months ago.

It arrived with a gift receipt from amazon in the packaging. The seller just turned around and ordered one off amazon and had it shipped to me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zereth posted:

I bought a mouse on Newegg a few months ago.

It arrived with a gift receipt from amazon in the packaging. The seller just turned around and ordered one off amazon and had it shipped to me.

I've had that happen with both Newegg and AbeBooks.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Atticus_1354 posted:

There's a goon making dice in his basement as a full-time job and selling on etsy who sees his designs pop up as knockoffs. It sucks rear end how quick stuff gets counterfeit.

It does, but that final bit of "now all the fake poo poo is on Etsy too" is what really sucks. As a consumer it's impossible to tell what's a real, artisanal product and what's a knockoff from Ali. Ali uses the original pics from Etsy, and so in turn do the Ali resellers back on Etsy. Impossible to tell what you're getting until it arrives.

That said, link to the goon dice provider, please?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've had that happen with both Newegg and AbeBooks.

Abebooks is Amazon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommonShore posted:

Abebooks is Amazon.

*Goes to wikipedia*

Well that's depressing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Book Depository, Goodreads and Comixology as well. Amazon has a pretty decent stranglehold on the new and used books market.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fruits of the sea posted:

Book Depository, Goodreads and Comixology as well. Amazon has a pretty decent stranglehold on the new and used books market.

Whom don't they own?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I haven’t tried it yet but supposedly Bookshop.org partners with indie bookstores.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Whom don't they own?

MacKenzie Scott!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sanford posted:

It does, but that final bit of "now all the fake poo poo is on Etsy too" is what really sucks. As a consumer it's impossible to tell what's a real, artisanal product and what's a knockoff from Ali. Ali uses the original pics from Etsy, and so in turn do the Ali resellers back on Etsy. Impossible to tell what you're getting until it arrives.

That said, link to the goon dice provider, please?

This is really the worst part. For a while etsy was a great place to get handmade stuff and indie art. Now it's hardly possible to search without your results being 75% crap from aliexpress, 20% adds for poo poo that doesn't match your filters at all, and 5% actual results. Plus don't even get me started on seeds.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Not a scam, but certainly weird:
We ordered a case of Minute Maid apple juice off of Amazon, then received a package delivered to our door of 4 6-packs of MM Apple juice in Walmart bags. The first time we thought it was misdelivered and a crazy coincidence from one of our neighbors, but nope. Someone selling on Amazon went to Walmart and grabbed apple juice for us.

It wasn’t even that expensive… not sure how they turned a profit

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

namlosh posted:

...not sure how they turned a profit

This is what I think about Ali. Looking at a fake lego man or whatever, someone had to copy it, manufacturer it, pack it, pick it for the order, bag it up, ship it half way round the world via half a dozen different carriers... and it's cost me 90p. How is anyone making money off something like that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Countless kickstarter projects have been bit by this. They'll get a fab shop to make a few prototypes for them, and before they've delivered a single product to their backers the knockoffs are already on alibaba. Then they get angry backers accusing them of reselling.

There are of course plenty of scummy people on kickstarter who do just resell poo poo from alibaba as well.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Latest thing I came across was this store Fabletics. They say you can get two pairs of gym shorts for $25. Went to this site and it's actually two pairs for $25 if you enroll in a $60 per month subscription but you can cancel anytime.

So I chose that option and immediately canceled the monthly sub. Final thing they mailed out was ONE pair of gym shorts and it was $34 after tax and shipping. They specifically did not list how many pairs was in the order until after it shipped out. I was at least able to get a return label with free shipping so it cost me nothing other than my time but the whole thing was just shady as gently caress.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A monthly subscription to cheap gym shorts sounds like the main con here.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah definitely. But then they're not even providing you with the item they promised to get you in the door.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

namlosh posted:

Not a scam, but certainly weird:
We ordered a case of Minute Maid apple juice off of Amazon, then received a package delivered to our door of 4 6-packs of MM Apple juice in Walmart bags. The first time we thought it was misdelivered and a crazy coincidence from one of our neighbors, but nope. Someone selling on Amazon went to Walmart and grabbed apple juice for us.

It wasn’t even that expensive… not sure how they turned a profit

I had this happen too except the reseller hosed up and ordered the wrong item from Walmart so I went down the fraud rabbit hole with Walmart on the phone. They were surprisingly knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. Then the right thing showed up the next day from the same shipper and it became plain what was going on.

The profit may come from some discount program the seller has access to or they may simply be money laundering stolen credit and gift cards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Absurd Alhazred posted:

*Goes to wikipedia*

Well that's depressing.

I went through that cycle of depression about 6 months ago. I order from BetterWorldBooks.com now

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

About 15 years ago I wanted to buy a nice travel wood chess set, so I searched ebay. It turned into a grueling education in modern cheap drop-ship grift. Nearly everything I saw was some variation of UNIQUE HANDMADE WOOD WEIGHTED MAGNETIC CHESS SET LOOK!!! NEW!!!!. These listings clotted up every single category so they were completely unavoidable, and they all reused the same 5 photos, with a startlingly wide price range.

Now, that's every other store, too. Amazon is ebay is etsy is craigslist is whatever.

It sucks, but that's what you get when your culture mostly values getting the cheapest crap at the cheapest price as quickly as possible.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 23, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sanford posted:

This is what I think about Ali. Looking at a fake lego man or whatever, someone had to copy it, manufacturer it, pack it, pick it for the order, bag it up, ship it half way round the world via half a dozen different carriers... and it's cost me 90p. How is anyone making money off something like that?

Lego is both using more expensive plastic and also massively overcharging you.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Plus tons of manufacturing/shipping/everything in China is subsidized by the government…

Since I’m in the thread for it, I’d describe it as the long con where you get the world to depend on you by undercutting local competition until they’re forced to close down, then you’re the only game in town and have tons of leverage.

Sounds like a conspiracy, since I have no proof that’s the plan. Just a hunch

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

About 15 years ago I wanted to buy a nice travel wood chess set, so I searched ebay. It turned into a grueling education in modern cheap drop-ship grift. Nearly everything I saw was some variation of UNIQUE HANDMADE WOOD WEIGHTED MAGNETIC CHESS SET LOOK!!! NEW!!!!. These listings clotted up every single category so they were completely unavoidable, and they all reused the same 5 photos, with a startlingly wide price range.

Now, that's every other store, too. Amazon is ebay is etsy is craigslist is whatever.

It sucks, but that's what you get when your culture mostly values getting the cheapest crap at the cheapest price as quickly as possible.

Yeah, it totally sucks.

I have a list of craftspeople that I consult when I want something done by an artist, not by a machine on the cheap. It's almost like the antithesis of the idealized Internet, where I have to personally curate a list of 'known goods' because if I were to just google what I'm looking for (even if I use specific phrases like 'hand made' etc.) 9 times out of 10, it's crap.

Seriously, unless you are looking for cheap poo poo that may or may not fit the bill, do not order off of Amazon.

The silver lining here is that my life is filled with an increasingly large amount of artisan, custom and semi-custom high quality work. It's certainly more expensive, but a lot of the stuff I have now I'll likely never replace. My newest pursuit is to get a 'final' desk made, totally custom, that will hopefully be the last desk I ever buy. Some things (like this desk) are never going to break even against just buying a new one ever half decade from Office Depot or whatever, but a lot of this stuff will eventually represent a monetary savings over a large enough time span because I will truly never replace it.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 23, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sanford posted:

economies of scale are a gently caress. back when i used to work distribution we always used to laugh at the fact it typically cost more to get your pallet from the dock to it's destination, then it did getting to the dock from china.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CoolCab posted:

economies of scale are a gently caress. back when i used to work distribution we always used to laugh at the fact it typically cost more to get your pallet from the dock to it's destination, then it did getting to the dock from china.

Yep. Everytime it has to be unloaded, sorted, reloaded and rerouted it costs money. That's why the big guys like to use USPS for last mile delivery of small stuff.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The silver lining here is that my life is filled with an increasingly large amount of artisan, custom and semi-custom high quality work.
Speaking of high-quality work, before registering an account, as a lurker I followed your custom title at the time to a comic about your av dog living in a world of sapient animals alongside humans, and the last thing I read was either she or another dog was assassinated at a rights-themed political rally. Did this story ever get concluded or expanded?

I liked the comic and greatly want to read more and hope it does not end on that admittedly-realstic note.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

namlosh posted:

Plus tons of manufacturing/shipping/everything in China is subsidized by the government…

Since I’m in the thread for it, I’d describe it as the long con where you get the world to depend on you by undercutting local competition until they’re forced to close down, then you’re the only game in town and have tons of leverage.

I mean it's Walmart's and Amazon's business model to a tee, so I don't see what's hard to believe about a highly centralized national government applying it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

Speaking of high-quality work, before registering an account, as a lurker I followed your custom title at the time to a comic about your av dog living in a world of sapient animals alongside humans, and the last thing I read was either she or another dog was assassinated at a rights-themed political rally. Did this story ever get concluded or expanded?

I liked the comic and greatly want to read more and hope it does not end on that admittedly-realstic note.

Probably a bit of a disappointing answer, but someone bought the avatar for me many, many years ago and I just never bothered to change it. The name also came from a GBS thread almost a decade ago. Nothing here is truly mine except the gang tags I suppose :P. To answer your question then: I have no idea.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Raine_Dog

That comic gets...uh...weird

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

namlosh posted:

The Walton family is very disappointed in you and would appreciate it if you stopped spreading these vicious lies.

E: ^^^ :argh:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 24, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The author posted an update several years ago explaining how the comic happened and that it will probably never be continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, I see the scammers have added a new one: affordable lawn care.

I got 20 emails about it in the last two days.