Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I rebought mostly f the Far Cry Titles for the Series X since a bunch of them got an FPS boost and they were on sale (so basically got 3,4,5, New Dawn and Primal (with Caveman Adam Jensen and it’s also a really neat concept).

It’s funny Vaas owns, but I find 3 the hardest to play, it’s still good, but it’s that scenario where newer gameplay and UX improvements are harder to ignore. That said the hilarious item description fluff and guidebooks rule and I think it actually encourages me to search enemies more.

Oddly I’m always kind of partial to 4, because I like the region and goddamn Pagan Min owns and crafting is actually enjoyable (also the Elephant Gun). Truthfully that’s also because I haven’t played as much as the other ones. But now I’m just switching between them all for maximum incoherent narrative. Far Cry 5 is fun like I remember, but I never got that far so I figure I’ll spend today on Hope County.

One thing though...Jesus let us skip cutscenes, I mean even MGS and Hideo got on that bus a long time ago.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also here’s a 90 minute retrospective on FC5.

https://youtu.be/QKuxJ0ZQZmk

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to say the more I play FC5 I just love it, it’s one of those the core mechanics are so nicely polished (bugs…not so much) games like MGSV, that I’m willing to ignore certain deficits. I’ll also add I do love the post liberate an outpost animation. Shame they went with the ending they did, but eh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is the first far cry thread I could find so I gotta ask, why does the gun play seem so anemic?

I just started FC5 and the guns just don’t feel like they have any weight to them. I guess that’s the best way to explain it.

The game seems ok so far but I’m just not feeling the gun play. Does it get better?

I only paid like $5 for the game with FC3 so it’s not a huge loss if I bounce out.

Also the game should be running at 60 FPS right? It kinda doesn’t feel like it…

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is the first far cry thread I could find so I gotta ask, why does the gun play seem so anemic?

I just started FC5 and the guns just don’t feel like they have any weight to them. I guess that’s the best way to explain it.

The game seems ok so far but I’m just not feeling the gun play. Does it get better?

I only paid like $5 for the game with FC3 so it’s not a huge loss if I bounce out.

Also the game should be running at 60 FPS right? It kinda doesn’t feel like it…

Well besides sniper rifles (which suck) I haven’t had too many issues. Full auto on an AR generally works quite nicely and also when you acquire things like the M14 or shotguns…especially with Incendiary rounds for the latter.

I will say that the C4 and dynamite explosions are amazing.

It should be 60 FPS on a Xbox with FPS boost checked. The loading now is like 5 seconds and the quote loading screen barely even displays before getting back to the game.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
a bit of a drive-by post here but as far as any FC title being considered "hard to play" I'm pretty sure the end of the original FC on realistic gave me some kind of unresolved ptsd

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MazelTovCocktail posted:

One thing though...Jesus let us skip cutscenes, I mean even MGS and Hideo got on that bus a long time ago.

I restarted 5 and gave up on it when I got sick of sitting through unskippable cutscenes. I'd love to know their justification of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I bought FC5 for $13aud and I hated it a lot. I'll be pressing the "skip" button on buying another Far Cry that's for sure!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I restarted 5 and gave up on it when I got sick of sitting through unskippable cutscenes. I'd love to know their justification of it.

Luckily as time goes on there is a lot of skippable stuff, even in the bigger cutscenes, but regardless yeah I’d love to know why they all weren’t skippable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well besides sniper rifles (which suck) I haven’t had too many issues. Full auto on an AR generally works quite nicely and also when you acquire things like the M14 or shotguns…especially with Incendiary rounds for the latter.

It should be 60 FPS on a Xbox with FPS boost checked. The loading now is like 5 seconds and the quote loading screen barely even displays before getting back to the game.

Ok maybe I’ll have to check to see if that’s enabled. Maybe it’s not checked by default.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
4 and 5 are really good video games

i hope 6 doesn't suck

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

4 and 5 are really good video games

i hope 6 doesn't suck

I have to say I really do love both of them and after beating 5, even with New Dawn ( which I like), I just wish 5 had a no bullshit ending, even if non canon.

Also am I the only one whose like big deal Joseph predicted it, it seems like he just got lucky based on the world. lol

I also loved the characters in n 5 and especially banter between different members, which was often unique and quote humorous.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah the sidekicks in 5 were awesome. Nick Rye and Grace were my powerful redneck friends

When I started playing 5, without being spoiled, I thought "you know, I bet this cult has nukes". Haha

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah the sidekicks in 5 were awesome. Nick Rye and Grace were my powerful redneck friends

When I started playing 5, without being spoiled, I thought "you know, I bet this cult has nukes". Haha

The funniest thing was I recall some review saying they were all bland and I'm like sir you have no met Hurk Jr and his mom or his mom and Nick combined. I'm so happy they keep Hurk and Sharky alive.

See even if they did unless there plan was to trigger something at a US base, I just think the broken clock rule applies, but being a game yeah that or bliss warheads...which honestly I think would have been cool too.

And even as I play New Dawn and enjoy it, I just hate the endings on 5, even if it makes narrative sense. I'm just happy I knew about it ahead of time.

Also next Fallout game needs the New Dawn Color palette.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I honestly don't like some of what I've seen of the weapon upgrades. What they did to that poor SKS in the trailer was a war crime.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I actually only got a few hours into New Dawn, I had borrowed it off a mate, I think I'll pick it up later since used copies are like 15 at gamestop.

Also just realized I didn't actually finish the Mars DLC and didn't do the zombie one at all despite owning the season pass. I recall the guns being pretty interesting in Mars

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

I actually only got a few hours into New Dawn, I had borrowed it off a mate, I think I'll pick it up later since used copies are like 15 at gamestop.

Also just realized I didn't actually finish the Mars DLC and didn't do the zombie one at all despite owning the season pass. I recall the guns being pretty interesting in Mars

You know I forgot they even existed, so I might as well grab them. Ironically it’s cheaper to rebuy a gold edition then a separate season pass now because of an Ubisoft sale.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I honestly don't like some of what I've seen of the weapon upgrades. What they did to that poor SKS in the trailer was a war crime.

That seems to be the general lot in life for SKSs.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I have to say I really do love both of them and after beating 5, even with New Dawn ( which I like), I just wish 5 had a no bullshit ending, even if non canon.

Also am I the only one whose like big deal Joseph predicted it, it seems like he just got lucky based on the world. lol

I also loved the characters in n 5 and especially banter between different members, which was often unique and quote humorous.

I wonder if they are kinda retconning 5. 6 (or at least some of the related materials) seems to reference Joseph Seed, as well as the other villains, meaning this has to take place afterwards.

Or maybe the nuclear war was just leveling Montana...

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sniper rifles do exactly what you expect them to do, shoot someone in the head with them and they die. Not seeing the problem. It was pretty easy to snipe almost everyone in a base then sneak up and shoot the one or two remaining guys in the back of the head with a pistol or whatever. The first AR you can use is quite bad I thought maybe that's what they were talking about. I don't think I was a fan of the M14 either.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I still loved 4 the best for the locale and the excellent weaponry. I was disappointed with FC5's weapons and the upgrade/earning system which was a huge downgrade to all of FC4's achievements and fun ridiculous guns you could get. Also a way flatter map with less chances to use wingsuits and poo poo, although the vehicles/buddy systems were very fun. Did FC6 mention anything about a return to the buddy system from FC5?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

I still loved 4 the best for the locale and the excellent weaponry. I was disappointed with FC5's weapons and the upgrade/earning system which was a huge downgrade to all of FC4's achievements and fun ridiculous guns you could get. Also a way flatter map with less chances to use wingsuits and poo poo, although the vehicles/buddy systems were very fun. Did FC6 mention anything about a return to the buddy system from FC5?

Apparently only animal companions will be available in 6.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Sniper rifles do exactly what you expect them to do, shoot someone in the head with them and they die. Not seeing the problem. It was pretty easy to snipe almost everyone in a base then sneak up and shoot the one or two remaining guys in the back of the head with a pistol or whatever. The first AR you can use is quite bad I thought maybe that's what they were talking about. I don't think I was a fan of the M14 either.

M14 was very meh, along with the 45-70. I just expected more, something just feels off, then again I'm now all about that Saw launcher life. In the end of just felt it was harder to get decent control, but that might just be me. luckily there are so many guns it’s not really a big deal.

Iacen posted:

I wonder if they are kinda retconning 5. 6 (or at least some of the related materials) seems to reference Joseph Seed, as well as the other villains, meaning this has to take place afterwards.

Or maybe the nuclear war was just leveling Montana...

Nah, in the Alcatraz expedition you can clearly see the nuked skyline of San Francisco. But I really dislike how Seed is kind of redeemed a little in New Dawn. I still think he's no different then Heavens Gate, he just got lucky where the ball landed on the roulette table, so to speak.

Edit: Now there is a War Journal Empty Quiver document you can find in the government wreck expedition.

wiki posted:

Empty Quiver refers to the seizure, theft, or loss of a functioning nuclear weapon.

So you know,it's possible Seed did kick everything off.

J-Spot posted:

Apparently only animal companions will be available in 6.

gently caress I wanted some Hurk...I mean his ancestor is in Primial. Also Lost on Mars is kind of fun, but Jesus I love the banter between Nick and Hurk, so it ups the enjoyment factor significantly. Also I'd love companion banter.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 23, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
On the one hand, yay animal friends :3:

On the other hand, you took Hurk from us?? One of the only comic relief characters in a shooty game that actually worked???

I bet there's an animal named Hurk

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Me and a buddy just started playing 5 in co-op. It's fun, but janky. Can't move too far from the host, which sucks when you're running around an outpost. And errors when riding shotgun due to the world not loading in fast enough are what's been bothering us the most. I'm hoping they give co-op more attention in 6 because the chaos that ensues when things go not according to plan is :discourse: and that's doubled when you're with a friend.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Edit: Now there is a War Journal Empty Quiver document you can find in the government wreck expedition.

Uh actually it's a "Broken Arrow", I learned that from hit 90's action film "Broken Arrow" and John Travolta would never lie to me :colbert:

I actually tried to replay 3 a coupl weeks ago just for the Vaas bits but I couldn't get into it. Then I tried 4 & 5 and ended up sticking with 5 pretty much just bcause of how much better it runs on my mediocre pc, and I'm having a blast with it. Will play New Dawn next cos it's the only FC that I've never played all the way through.

I also loved FC 2, I wish it would get a remake or hd remaster but people seemed to mostly hate it so lol that's never gonna happen

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I also loved FC 2, I wish it would get a remake or hd remaster but people seemed to mostly hate it so lol that's never gonna happen

ubisoft please

me, this guy and like 6 other weirdos would probably pay good money for this

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I absolutely love the Far Cry games but please do yourself a favor and skip the DLC for 5. Vietnam is fine but the other two are actively horrible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thiccabod posted:

I absolutely love the Far Cry games but please do yourself a favor and skip the DLC for 5. Vietnam is fine but the other two are actively horrible.

I thought the Mars one was good?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly it's okay so far, but having the main leads be Nick and Hurk :discourse:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

It's definitely pretty okay, about as good as Vietnam.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I actually redownloaded Far Cry 5 to play the Goldeneye levels someone made in the arcade exactly one day before Ubisoft removed them for violating trademark:laffo:

Of course, people have already put up multiple duplicates, but it's hard to sift through the ones with invincible active/etc to find just like, a normal playable version of each

Stuff like this and a small handful of good originals levels are really the only reason the arcade is worthwhile at all since 90% of it is halfassed garbage, they did the same thing with the quest creator or whatever in AC Odyssey too

Though I do like the idea of the deputy surviving the crash, liberating Dutch's little island then just beelining to the nearest arcade to play old Goldeneye levels while ignoring the crisis

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Far Cry 2 is an amazing game with unforgettable moments that just happen without being scripted.

Late in the game I was shot up and rescued by my buddy as he'd done several times before. We worked to clear the outpost together but he was downed in the process. No problem, they're all gone, gave him the morphine shot as before.

But he's not getting up. So I give another! Not getting up. Dammit man have another, get up!

He's gone.

Andre died for me. He died because of me.

And it's the only game where the inconveniece of weapon decay felt right. Best of all you don't need Uplay and it's 3 bucks right now on steam! Getitgetitgetit!

I wish there was a mod to make the knife silent, though.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 26, 2021

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Uh actually it's a "Broken Arrow", I learned that from hit 90's action film "Broken Arrow" and John Travolta would never lie to me :colbert:

:eng101: technically Empty Quiver is when one of the big firecrackers gets nicked or lost somehow ; Broken Arrow is when one gets blown up accidentally (not necessarily a full-on nuclear blast). Bent Spear means it leaked green juice all over the place and your cornfields are about to get seven types of cancer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m really enjoying FC5 on the series X so far but I had to turn off FPS boost. It just makes the game too ugly IMO.

I’m not even following the “story” I’m just running around blowing poo poo up and killing dudes. I did just get a dog which is cool.

I’m sure I’ll burn out eventually but I only paid $5 for this so I feel like I’ve gotten my monies worth.

I have a sweet sniper rifle with a suppressor and pick dickheads off at range.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Arbite posted:

Far Cry 2 is an amazing game with unforgettable moments

Far Cry 2 had an amazing setting and tone, and I sure wish the series would have continued in that direction.

I've enjoyed the subsequent games, but I'm so sick of all the "wacky" cringe poo poo, from the first word out of Vaas's one-dimensional piehole to the last Bananarama CD fired from my Discos Locos.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I haven’t played *any* of the Far Cry games, and the summer Steam sale seems like a good opportunity. Which games in the series are essential for a newcomer?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

I haven’t played *any* of the Far Cry games, and the summer Steam sale seems like a good opportunity. Which games in the series are essential for a newcomer?

FC3 absolutely.

Pretty sure you can get 5 and 3 as a combo pack for cheap and I’d do that.

Edit ok it’s not as cheap as it was on the Xbox but I think for $17.99 you get some great far cry.

If you only want to spend 3.99 get 3.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 27, 2021

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

FC3 absolutely.

Pretty sure you can get 5 and 3 as a combo pack for cheap and I’d do that.

Edit ok it’s not as cheap as it was on the Xbox but I think for $17.99 you get some great far cry.

If you only want to spend 3.99 get 3.

Perfect, thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I wanted to like Farcry 5 but 30 minutes of that loving one minute loop of cultist music that you can't turn off and I couldn't handle it any longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toiletbrush posted:

I wanted to like Farcry 5 but 30 minutes of that loving one minute loop of cultist music that you can't turn off and I couldn't handle it any longer

You mean the radio station?