Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm always prowling local actions for rare gems, and found one last night. A small farm auction selling a bunch of tractors and one tractor in particular caught my eye. I had to have it, but being 200km away, i decided to buy sight unseen with a bunch of inacurate info in the ad.

these are the largest images provided by the auction.

The AE88 in the Vin and engine picture confirms It's a AE86 GT-S coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission.

I don't know if it runs. It shows 86,930 miles(this could still be kilometers)

I will hopefully be heading up to get it tomorrow morning, and either introducing it straight to a 200km road trip, or scrambling to find something to tow it.

Now i've just got to start shopping for bumper mount 6 foot tall spoilers and drift charms.

Possible directions this could go:

-Tiune it up, drive it everywhere
-Tune it up, clean it, flip it for a pile of dough
-2ZZ, Beams, or 13b swap
-the car is actually junk and just sits around until i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Congrats on winning the auction and good luck!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Beams is a very popular choice. Between being able to get the engine/trans/ecu for $1200 USD shipped, the wide range of aftermarket support, and ~200hp in a light weight car - It's what I would do.
If you need any swap parts from Xcessive I believe I'm still a dealer (they are local).
*Edit - wow the prices doubled since last year. Make that $2500.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 23, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

A full cleanup and one step shy of resto could net some serious dollars on one of the enthusiast specific auction sites. Especially since you can have the exchange rate work in your favour for a chance.

Congratulations and this is in no way a dumb thing like the title suggests.

Edit: Phone posting.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i love you for doing this but i have a feeling it is category 4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i love you for doing this but i have a feeling it is category 4

My expectations are low seeing as how it's basically a barn find, but it looks like a pretty clean low mileage shell at the very least.

This was my last auction gamble.

2003 BMW X5 3.0i, 174k kms, $1900 bought sight unseen and it's absolutely perfect. somebody put about $1500 worth of parts into it before we got it. All it needs now is the FSR for the blower motor and the power seat module It's just so unbelievably solid.

Past wins/losses:

Win: 1973 Lincoln, Paid $2,250 in 2013, put nearly nothing into it, still driving the monster

Win: 1999 F250 powerstroke diesel: Paid $750 in 2013, put a bout $1500 in restoring it. it got stolen and trashed, i still drive it all the time.

Loss: 1986 Mercedes SEL 560: Paid $900, got it home, ran a vin check, salvage title. Had to get a refund.

Win: 1999 BMW 540i: Paid $1000, put a little bit in maintianing it, put 28,000kms on it, and sold it for $1500

wash: 2006 F-150 king ranch.: Paid $14,500, drove it for a few years, put a few grand in, didn't like it, sold for $12,500

Huge loss: 2004 WRX. Paid $10k, engine blew, Got written off by hail, got about half back. cursed car

Huge win: 2004 Mack CX613: Paid $17,500, made it back in a month. worked the truck until i couldn't keep working, sold for $20,000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Powershift posted:

Win: 1973 Lincoln, Paid $2,250 in 2013, put nearly nothing into it, still driving the monster

I am diamonds for this thing. More pics I beg of you

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd say you're still batting well over 500. Good job man.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. If I was closer I'd help you get it home tomorrow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am diamonds for this thing. More pics I beg of you

It is a perty car

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Oh fuckyes in on the ground floor. I loove your Lincoln and just about all your other finds.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Powershift posted:

It is a perty car

I love these and invariably get caught in a thought loop about what I think the perfect modern engine repower would look like.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I mean, we've already got one scrap-rear end 80s Toyota at the ranch. If anything, this one might actually have some value after we repower it and meticulously patch the unibody.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, I signed up for an account to bid on this thing tonight before I saw your thread. Signed up with a dummy cc#, and as I was about to make the winning bid before the last minute was up (to stop it from extending) I found out they charge you $10 to place a bid and they tried to autocharge my card right then and there and was denied. 2010 crown Vic with less than 70k miles for $2900.

https://www.auctionsinternational.com/m/#/auction/25194/item/2010-ford-crown-victoria-4-doorpolice-interceptor-154402

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Powershift posted:

Huge win: 2004 Mack CX613: Paid $17,500, made it back in a month. worked the truck until i couldn't keep working, sold for $20,000

Howsabout some more info on this thing? What did you do with it, haul other peoples' trailers or did you get a trailer too?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stevobob posted:

Howsabout some more info on this thing? What did you do with it, haul other peoples' trailers or did you get a trailer too?

This thing was a mystery mileage unloved truck i found sitting at an auction in Calgary in pretty rough shape.

I polished it up, put pump on it, and immediately went out in the mud

I hauled water at -40, touched every corner of the province, pushed through thousands of buffalo doing the work of two trucks delivering firefighting equipment, put tire chains on so often i could do it in under 5 minutes and get the jump on other drivers. The Mack had no business being out there doing this kind of work but it did it. It was a $17k truck outworking $170k trucks. Unfortunately in 2012 after being turned away from the hospital with "the flu" I lost 60 pounds in just over a month and was then diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, i tried twice to keep working through it but in the end the medications weren't helping and i ended up essentially bedridden and couldn't keep going.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 22, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I remember your threads back when you were working, and they were super interesting. I'm sorry you got sick and can't work anymore.

Auction finds are solid, though. Looking forward to details about the newest find.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Man, that truck experience sounds cool. Heck of a buy. Too bad it ended the way it did but I'm glad you got to have and share the experience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow, I now remember those threads too. Did you have prior trucking experience? License? Sounds fun as hell anyway.

Hopefully the Toyota will work out as well for you too!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It’s rough. Really rough. Still going to be worth it though I think

Very rusty and 180k miles not 80k. Gonna be a major project

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 22, 2021

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

This thing was a mystery mileage unloved truck i found sitting at an auction in Calgary in pretty rough shape.

I polished it up, put pump on it, and immediately went out in the mud

Truckin' and fuckin' is all he craves.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Powershift posted:

It’s rough. Really rough. Still going to be worth it though I think

Very rusty and 180k miles not 80k. Gonna be a major project

So Beams swap, vinyl wrap and send it?

Rocky Mountain Drift Club is close.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

So Beams swap, vinyl wrap and send it?

Rocky Mountain Drift Club is close.

I’ll know which way this is gonna go once I get under it.

I’m almost thinking up

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Subbed! I wanna see how much worse it is than mine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'd like to say, sir, that you have fine taste in vehicles. Carry on.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Saw the auction win (congrats!) looks like you only really have one loss in the WRX so not bad all around. Looking forward to this thread. Take pics of the new car next to the boat. Because that size difference...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I''' try to get some better pics tomorrow, i'm beat. It's not as bad as i fist figured. seems to just be the weak spots of these things. the rockers, the front of the rear quarter. the front fenders. The underside is solid and looks to have been undercoated a looooong time ago. Based on the smell of the gas i would say it hasn't run in at least 10 years. The last time i smelled gas that stale was in a 1951 gm that had been sitting for 30 years. IT had a timing belt done 70,000 miles ago, unfortunately that was also 1996. I don't know why the odometer is in miles, all the emissions stickers are canadian. It still has the original untouched oem tape deck. It also has hooks and wiring to be flat towed behind an RV or whatever, which is neat.

I'm in the process of uploading more pics but imgur is being no bueno. If there's anything you would specifically like a pic of to help me judge the overall condition of this thing let me know.

Also got some gifts for the lincoln.

edit: oh god, i'm late for 9/11

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 23, 2021

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I still think you made out well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah I think so too. Any evidence where the car lived/came from?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I still think you made out well.

slidebite posted:

Yeah I think so too. Any evidence where the car lived/came from?

Yeah, i'm extremely happy with what i've got to work with. There isn't a single AE86 for sale in canada as far as i can tell, and wanted ads all over the place, so this was probably my last chance to own one. A somewhat average hatch just sold through BAT for $40k, so i can slow walk a resto at my own pace and not end up one of those "$25k invested, i know what i got" dudes with a $5,000 car. There was an extremely faded pass for one of the plants in Fort Saskatchewan so it was just some dude's bone stock daily driver like 20 years ago and towed behind a motorhome for some years before that.

It has the LSD, Air con, and sunroof.

Please ignore my mess, i've been out of commission for like 8 months and life don't stop. The lincoln occupies basically all the free space in the garage, The toyota......

The Lincoln is 228L x 79.9W x 53T and 5140lbs
The Toyota is 169L x 64W x 53T and around 2100lbs

5 feet shorter, 16 inches narrower and 3000lbs lighter. The Lincoln has 4.7 times the displacement.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Even mine has a small rust hole in the passenger rocker in front of the rear tire. As far as I can tell, it's lived its entire life in Texas.
Nice that you got a usable owner's manual and service manual. People want far too much for those, and the PDFs I've found seem to be missing some stuff, in the case of the service manual - like, for example, the Automatic Transmission chapter.

Which PDFs I can throw up on my web hosting, if you like, though I found them online, myself.

edit: I remember what was missing that frustrated the hell out of me. Anything related to the engine. those aren't just missing from the PDF, they're missing from the manual, period. Apparently separate manuals for the 4AC and 4AGE.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Powershift posted:

The Lincoln is 228L x 79.9W x 53T and 5140lbs
The Toyota is 169L x 64W x 53T and around 2100lbs

5 feet shorter, 16 inches narrower and 3000lbs lighter. The Lincoln has 4.7 times the displacement.

What's the horsepower/torque difference? Looks like a good buy overall, bit of rot but less than I expected.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Powershift posted:

It is a perty car

Needs more hood. I like how it weighs more than a half ton pickup and probably has more torque.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't know how it took me until just now to realize that car has a sunroof. Hot drat.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I want that car.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Those headlights open up right? So loving cool.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, those old Mk Lincolns totally had the good part of the 70s style and a cushy sofa for a front seat. Blacked and chrome was the best combo too IMHO.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

most of the hood is a compartment for the gigantic schlong you're required to have to drive it. they used to list this on your driver's license

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

What's the horsepower/torque difference? Looks like a good buy overall, bit of rot but less than I expected.

220hp/365ft/lb vs 112hp/97ft/lb

I ain't winning no races.

Cage posted:

I don't know how it took me until just now to realize that car has a sunroof. Hot drat.

Yeah, the lincoln's sunroof is 41" x 22". the entire roof of the toyota is 39"x 45" the contrast is crazy. It uses ASC made parts originally designed for the porsche 356, and was a $666 option in a year when a new beetle was $1900.

Darchangel posted:

Even mine has a small rust hole in the passenger rocker in front of the rear tire. As far as I can tell, it's lived its entire life in Texas.
Nice that you got a usable owner's manual and service manual. People want far too much for those, and the PDFs I've found seem to be missing some stuff, in the case of the service manual - like, for example, the Automatic Transmission chapter.

Which PDFs I can throw up on my web hosting, if you like, though I found them online, myself.

edit: I remember what was missing that frustrated the hell out of me. Anything related to the engine. those aren't just missing from the PDF, they're missing from the manual, period. Apparently separate manuals for the 4AC and 4AGE.

This manual seems pretty in depth, with a ton of engine diagrams and full color vacuum/wiring diagrams. Nothing engine specific it seems but it's like 600 pages and has complete breakdowns of the different transmissions so it might be int there somewhere. The PO had a bookmark in the ECU wiring page so that may be where i start.

The morning i went to pick it up i started feeling really crappy, after getting a bunch of exercise in the sun i was feeling worse. i was gonna drag it to the car wash the next morning while it was still on the trailer but just couldn't and i had to give my sister her truck back so i just unloaded it. i then went to sleep for about 24 hours. I'm still pretty hosed up by not in a "should i go to the hospital" kind of way.

I went and took a good look at it, apart from 3 or 4 spots and the rockers, the rust is just surface rust. everything else is prety solid. none of the vacuum lines or fuel lines are dry rotted or crunchy. The oil looks clean and is right on full(more on that in a bit :smug:) and the starter turns the engine freely. The gas tank was bone dry and smelled sooooooooooo stale so i put 10 bucks of gas in it on the way home to free up the gunk and i'll drain it out before i try to run the thing. everything is free, the hood release, trunk release, and fuel door release all function perfectly which is nice. The bottom of the doors are almost rust free. there doesn't seem to be any water ingress from the sunroof. it just seems solid overall. I think a lot of the rust came from sitting in tall grass for 10 years.

as for the oil.....

neat!

e: i also found these wheels on kijiji that would make the toyota and lincoln samesies. hopefully they stay up for a while.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/calgary/set-of-13x5-5-wheels-in-4x114-3-bolt-pattern-with-tires/1563745009

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 25, 2021

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Powershift posted:

as for the oil.....

In a rare event the PO comes through!

looks like a great project! i look forward to the updates :)

what is your plan of attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tomarse posted:

In a rare event the PO comes through!

looks like a great project! i look forward to the updates :)

what is your plan of attack?

First task is obviously to get it running.

-flush the fuel system, change fuel filters, verify pump function, verify injector function
-verify spark
-compression test
-PO had the ECU section in the manual bookmarked, so i'm guessing that's why it was parked, it has a whole troubleshooting section so go through that.
-Verify it's running
-all fluids
-timing belt and water pump

Then start refreshing everything else as i can afford it. I'll probably do what i can to halt the rust, but the bodywork is probably last on the list. If the engine is pooched, then probably flip things around and do the bodywork while saving for a BEAMS or something of that nature.

I kind of want to do a near factory restoration, considering most of these things get trashed as drift cars, but my tastes vary wildly day to day. There's just so much rad stuff for these cars but it's all so $$$

The ultimate goal at this point is to have a driving project by spring and the summer after next to have something to do a little road trip.