Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

Sending them is fine. In the sense that it's good that the execs also see what employees are getting.

Sandi not understanding she is a board member and sharing it like some regular employee is sad.

Are they sending those to the regular employees too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
One of the best recent examples of this misogynistic view is Biomutant. Whom apparently right up until release shouted that you can pick your gender, etcetc of your weird mutant character.

Until suddenly in release you just can't.

Which is fine, up until you get to the point where apparently you have to unlock fast travel points. Your character does this apparently by unzipping his pants, whipping it out and peeing on the sign post and zipping his pants up again.

This in itself is weird and out of place because for the most part the game is very child friendly. And then suddenly out of nowhere it's a water sports fetish.

But the problem is everybody (males), are very much touting that you can't tell the gender of your mutant beast, which sure I guess I can give you that. And that the peeing is also very much gender neutral also.

So I'm not entirely sure how familiar some gamers are with women (probably not a lot in some cases), but whipping out anything to piss on a sign post for fast travel isn't something girls can do really.

So we crash head first into the whole "well... gently caress your gender and just deal with it and pretend"

This is pretty much the most predominant outlook. The "just deal with it and pretend" kind of sucks, but it is what it is and it can't be changed if you want to actually play any games.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Titanic posted:

One of the best recent examples of this misogynistic view is Biomutant. Whom apparently right up until release shouted that you can pick your gender, etcetc of your weird mutant character.

Which is fine, up until you get to the point where apparently you have to unlock fast travel points. Your character does this apparently by unzipping his pants, whipping it out and peeing on the sign post and zipping his pants up again.

This in itself is weird and out of place because for the most part the game is very child friendly. And then suddenly out of nowhere it's a water sports fetish.

But the problem is everybody (males), are very much touting that you can't tell the gender of your mutant beast, which sure I guess I can give you that. And that the peeing is also very much gender neutral also.

So I'm not entirely sure how familiar some gamers are with women (probably not a lot in some cases), but whipping out anything to piss on a sign post for fast travel isn't something girls can do really.

So we crash head first into the whole "well... gently caress your gender and just deal with it and pretend"

This is pretty much the most predominant outlook. The "just deal with it and pretend" kind of sucks, but it is what it is and it can't be changed if you want to actually play any games.

There are two things at play here I think. This one is fundamentally an issue at the author's level and betrays either cluelessness/ignorance or utter misogyny. Or both.

But the other part is the now-empowered idiots who feel entitled to explaining to us all why it's wrong to address it. And in addition of their rampant toxicity to a community, the misogyny they display is just the tip of the iceberg. Because after all, if you start having female characters, then the door's open for the next one to be black, jew, transgender or vegan... And they're certainly not going to let that happen under their watch.

Hopefully, as more studios and indie developers take an outspoken inclusive stand, that crowd will start boycotting games altogether. Didn't a commando loudly explain he was leaving SC because of a rainbow logo somewhere? Pretty sure I saw a copy of the ragequit in this very thread.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 23, 2021

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This whole proof of life video thing is so pointless and bizarre. Why is it needed when you are clearly alive and posting on Twitter? Do you think people have reason to think you're faking? Why promise it and then spend weeks procrastinating? Like, take 2 minutes and film yourself next to a newspaper, post it on Twitter, done. Is there supposed to be something super special about this video?

Maybe Sandi is the one in charge of the SQ42 teaser...

LA is just opening up, fudster.

You can't expect her to do any less than a full-blown production with custom sets, gaffers, best boys, makeup artists, catering... the works. And to expect that to happen when the city is just barely opening up shows how out of touch you are with the realities of proof-of-life videos.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
*waves hands in the air and about myself as if I were being attacked by bats*

The Titanic is right! There's not enough female representation in videogames. It's too often just a male power fantasy!

*explodes into flames*

DO SOMETHING

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skeletors_condom posted:

We did once invite the girls from our class to the internet cafe (this was just before puberty). They said something along on the lines of "Is this it, are we just going to watch you guys play CS?" We were like "Yeah!" and then they left.

Fast forward a few years and you can bet your rear end the situation would have played out completely differently.

I'm not sure this would play out how you seem to envision it.

I enjoy games, playing and making them, but even I get hugely bored at watching people play a game and I rarely do anything so people can watch me play a game because I'm self conscious.

Chances are those same girls would leave as fast as they did then even today. :j:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hot tub streaming SC when? why not done

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Is it just me or is using the possessive for plural becoming more common than ever on the internet?

Public education is failing these people.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's the Xi'an way.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it just me or is using the possessive for plural becoming more common than ever on the internet?

I was in a college program where the first class was just going over the proper use of your, you’re, their, they’re, there, it’s and its.

It was really sad. Makes you wonder what there teaching in grade school.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Or it's dumb autocorrect on their phone, the main device of Twitter users.
My just corrected "users" into "user's" over there. And you can't edit posts on twitter and God forbid you proof read your tweets.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah it's about the same as always, sadly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kikas posted:

My just corrected "users" into "user's" over there. And you can't edit posts on twitter and God forbid you proof read your tweets.

That does make sense. I feel like I've seen more and more grown rear end adults using it wrong on the regular, not just youngins', and it felt kinda weird.

I keep autocorrect off entirely for exactly that sort of reason. I'd rather just take the time to type things and fix them if they're wrong rather than having the computer second-guessing everything. But I guess that makes me :corsair:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

The Titanic posted:

I'm not sure this would play out how you seem to envision it.

I enjoy games, playing and making them, but even I get hugely bored at watching people play a game and I rarely do anything so people can watch me play a game because I'm self conscious.

Chances are those same girls would leave as fast as they did then even today. :j:

Definitely, the difference being that in a few years we wouldn't do something like that in the first place. :mmmsmug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr.Tophat posted:

*waves hands in the air and about myself as if I were being attacked by bats*

The Titanic is right! There's not enough female representation in videogames. It's too often just a male power fantasy!

*explodes into flames*

DO SOMETHING

Go make some video games and help change the odds. :)

I bet you can do it!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

This poo poo goes literally all the way back. When Pac-Man came out it was noted as being a hugely popular video game that attracted as many women, if not slightly more, than men (despite the Pac-Man title) and opened people's eyes to an ignored demographic.

There were lots of theories about why, leading ones were a featureless protagonist and a non-shooting-everything premise, I'm not sure how accurate that is but the lesson the powers that be took from this was to release Ms. Pac-Man and make sure to give her lipstick and a bow. So despite being the superior title, it had a weird patronizing vibe to it.

I'll never stop being surprised at people who try to market to people this way. Look, it's pink, it's for girls! Not to be outdone, men's bath care products can be mistaken for automotive products with how they're packaged now.

Maybe we should just reopen gladiatorial arenas and let these guys work through their problems that way. We'll make trillions of dollars, and reduce their numbers significantly.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm still waiting on female PCs for mordhau before I check it out, they said they were coming...

This is usually exactly how these misogynistic arguments begin :lol:

You're ringing the dinner bell for the players who just say that it doesn't matter, followed by the people who say the guys are all covered in armor so just pretend, who will lead the people who say it wasn't historically accurate for women to be in combat and the game would be loving ruined if that happened and they would immediately quit, rearing in the kind folks who tell people to enjoy the game for the gameplay and the character gender doesn't matter- only matters that the game is fun.

All these types usually circle the toilet and it breaks down pretty drat fast into insults and cruelty to the point where if you are a girl and try to suggest that maybe a game, especially one with character selection, could represent their gender, it could start a war and they could be insulted into oblivion for even daring to make the suggestion that some video game offer equal opportunity.

After a while you just kind of give up and will silently cheer on the next person dumb enough to open that can of worms on some other random video game, and eat popcorn while they get their head torn off by the mobs.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kikas posted:

This. Autoconnect is a plague.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dwesa posted:

about that
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1407188274616041483

also a care package for a board member
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1407063037702393858

I thought you're joking, but they are going to remove it and replace it in the future :lol: I'm sure backers will enjoy mandatory train rides

Did she post a roadmap for the video?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 23, 2021

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

This. Autoconnect is a plague.

:perfect:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

This poo poo goes literally all the way back. When Pac-Man came out it was noted as being a hugely popular video game that attracted as many women, if not slightly more, than men (despite the Pac-Man title) and opened people's eyes to an ignored demographic.

There were lots of theories about why, leading ones were a featureless protagonist and a non-shooting-everything premise, I'm not sure how accurate that is but the lesson the powers that be took from this was to release Ms. Pac-Man and make sure to give her lipstick and a bow. So despite being the superior title, it had a weird patronizing vibe to it.

I'll never stop being surprised at people who try to market to people this way. Look, it's pink, it's for girls! Not to be outdone, men's bath care products can be mistaken for automotive products with how they're packaged now.

Maybe we should just reopen gladiatorial arenas and let these guys work through their problems that way. We'll make trillions of dollars, and reduce their numbers significantly.

It goes both ways, I know. I mean when I walk around a mall it's basically a mall for me with a few "man stores" every few dozen stores or so.

I'll walk into a GameStop just as much as anybody, though admittedly less these days because games in general kind of suck and nothing coming out seems super fun, but there's definitely marketing more focused to one group or another.

When it comes to all the non-destroying poo poo on like, a phone, I wouldn't be at all surprised if women are very 50-50 or even higher for all these phone app games and such. But the AAA market is definitely more male-focused. Not that it has to be... tons of women play games, you really don't have to pretend they don't anymore.

The world has changed a lot. When I was little playing games was taboo and insulted. If you were a girl it was enough to get you banned and ridiculed from your friend groups... at school. But then. You go to somebody's house and spend the night hot-seat playing Mario Bros on an NES. So it was one of those "let's just keep this between us" kind of things.

Now a days gaming is super main stream, and you won't be ridiculed for it as much. Though there is still some stigma behind it for women, it's still something to do. I know girls who love FPS games and go to town at them, and I know ones who love games like The Sims. Usually they do it all though and pay whatever is popular until getting bored... which I'm sure guys do as well.

It's just another market people can tap into if they want. Making your games female friendly shouldn't kill you... but whatever you want to do with it. I'm sure your fan base will be hostile and mean to people over your decisions. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
That board meeting paper is weird. Never saw a board meeting document that addresses the board members like normal people.

The whole "Dear citizens" thing seems more like a communique to the players, not the board.

Maybe it's just some example of something they want to send... but usually this stuff is also not something the board gives a drat about.

Kind of weird.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scruffpuff posted:

First there was Normal. Then there was Normal and for girls. Now there is normal, for girls, and for MEN. I'm not sure if this is progress or not.

BRONUT

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Come snack on my huge bronuts!

Just fill your mouth with them! Yeah that's it...

:black101:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
The bronuts are so messy I need a dudewipe to clean up after.

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
Crobbler VS Schrodinger's game, do it cowards. Make Dennis sit beside him, use the vitamins, just make it work!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this doesn’t need to be pointed out but this is such horse poo poo. It’s possibly the weakest excuse she could have used.

Like I could make a video with my wife right now because being in lockdown (which LA really wasn’t anyway) doesn’t mean I can’t see my S/O.

LA has been “open” for like months now.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

every beard care product is called like Brunt Gundick's Damned Powerful Beer Flavored Sword & Face Mane Oil so the self checkout at Target doesn't call you gay for buying soap

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I know this doesn’t need to be pointed out but this is such horse poo poo. It’s possibly the weakest excuse she could have used.

Like I could make a video with my wife right now because being in lockdown (which LA really wasn’t anyway) doesn’t mean I can’t see my S/O.

yeah it's a pretty lame excuse, but she may have been forced to tell a white lie so the bruises around Chris' neck (from when he fell off his bike, ofc) could heal.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

But what if "Proof of Life" has nothing to do with SC and is in fact the actual title of the short movie she just got a part in?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MarcusSA posted:

Do you think and actress of high regard such as Sandi is going to just make a normal cellphone video?

No, no my friend.

We must get a crew, a cast, a script... so many cameras. All the musical cues... lights... she simply cannot work in these filthy conditions.

One simply cannot "make a video" without making it "a production". She is a professional.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've always wondered if the broken wrist, critical to the project, member of the team was Chris himself.

He must trip a lot when Sandi was around.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Do you think and actress of high regard such as Sandi is going to just make a normal cellphone video?

No, no my friend.

We must get a crew, a cast, a script... so many cameras. All the musical cues... lights... she simply cannot work in these filthy conditions.

One simply cannot "make a video" without making it "a production". She is a professional.

She still won't make the final cut though :) She has the screen presence of an aggressive park bench.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Go make some video games and help change the odds. :)

I bet you can do it!

Mr Tophat: The Game.

Buy a hat today to support it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

The problem here is that the management decided to market it as gender neutral, inclusive and etc. All the while the devs (the ones actually tasked to making the game) has no idea what marketing is spinning. The teams are disconnected, and the guys in the meetings have no actual gently caress what's happening on the either side during discussion. Also a lot of team leads that I have interviewed and removed during probation are common "yes" men.

It a point when there are way too many layers between those who are producing the game and the people making the game. Times used to be much simpler.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Titanic posted:

No, no my friend.

Fwiw production has been going on in LA for over 4 months now (maybe more actually)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Titanic posted:

This is usually exactly how these misogynistic arguments begin :lol:

You're ringing the dinner bell for the players who just say that it doesn't matter, followed by the people who say the guys are all covered in armor so just pretend, who will lead the people who say it wasn't historically accurate for women to be in combat and the game would be loving ruined if that happened and they would immediately quit, rearing in the kind folks who tell people to enjoy the game for the gameplay and the character gender doesn't matter- only matters that the game is fun.

This is scarily detailed and accurate. Like if The Oracle was rewritten from being a human-shaped cookie-nana to a precocious army of cyberorphans in The Matrix to being a completely loving over it survivor of the Gamergate years warning how a plague of terrible takes and reductive arguments will soon bring an end to our once mighty--now dead, gay--society.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The hardest hardcore gamer I ever met was a woman I met playing Left 4 dead 2. She had 100% the achievements of L4D 1&2 which entails a host of insane things, not the least of which is buying The Sacrifice DLC twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

I was gifted what I thought was car wash soap, I mean it had big hot rod muscle car on the front. It's only when I want to wash the car I realised it was men's shower gel.