Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My computer stopped booting recently, and I suspect it's either the motherboard, CPU, or both. They're aging, so it's not a shock. I'm just looking for some confirmation before I go and buy replacement CPU, ram, and motherboard. Due to the age of the motherboard, replacing one will mean replacing the other I think.

Problem description: As of last weekend, computer will not fully boot. Pressing the power button causes lights and fans to fire up for ~1 second, then power down. It then keeps retrying, stuck in a cycle. Possible likely cause is me flipping the room's breaker (actually the house main breaker) while working on some electrical stuff. I had forgotten that my computer was plugged in and asleep.

Attempted fixes: I verified that all fans spin (briefly) at startup. No visually obvious issues on the motherboard itself (although I'm only vaguely aware what to look for). I swapped in a PSU from a different computer, and nothing changed. I unplugged the GPU, all but one hard drive, and all but one stick of ram (then swapped that for a different stick). Same outcome.

Recent changes: None of note. PSU was replaced about 8 months ago, but it has seen quite a bit of use since then, and it's a good quality PSU. I also moved recently, but handled the moving of the tower myself, and it was working fine for the few weeks immediately after the move.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64x

System specs: Computer is home built. Brand new PSU (Corsair with more than enough power). New-ish GPU (Nvidia 1080). Fairly new Samsung SSD (and some older platter HDs for storage). Motherboard, CPU, and ram are all from original build in 2011, however:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
  • CPU: i5-2500k (I think--I honestly can't remember for sure, and I don't know how to find out now that the computer won't boot)
  • RAM: 4x 2GB GSkill stuff

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I saw a variety of suggestions regarding PSU issues, but (as noted) swapping for a different one changed nothing. I'm not really sure where to go from here, but given the age of the mobo/CPU I'm okay deciding it's time to upgrade. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

My first guess would be failing PSU but yours is only eight months old and the replacement made no difference either. Disconnect all SSDs/HDDs but if that doesn't help I bet the motherboard died.

The CPU and motherboard are a decade old so it could be the perfect excuse to get a new machine with TPM 2.0 capability.