Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Imagined posted:

People laugh at government employees for being slow and lazy but that's literally the logical response of any sane person to the system they're in. If there's a perpetual freeze on raises or promotions or education, if any performance evaluation with too many "exceeds expectations" gets kicked back to supervisors to be dialed down and resubmitted, if the only reward for competency or hard work is picking up the slack and extra work from people who've already given up on trying, you're basically training people to either leave or do as little as they can possibly get away with.

If the monetary benefits of your job literally never increase (and thus actually decrease every month through inflation) and the path to promotion is permanently closed, the only way a sane, rational person has to even the scales is to do less to the fullest extent possible. Talk about perverse incentives. Generally, if you meet a government employee who is motivated and hard-working, they're either so new they don't get it yet, they've drunk an insane amount of protestant work ethic/capitalism kool-aid, or they're an intrinsically motivated saint who truly, truly believes in public service to such an extent that they're acting against their own best interests.

I will say though that the meme about it being impossible to fire government employees is complete bullshit, at least in my experience. It's very possible. You just have to have to actual documented reasons to do so, and documented efforts to get the employee to improve. You know, like a civilized place would treat firing somebody. You can't just say, "Pack your poo poo and get out." Many bosses in government are too lazy to do the necessary work to fire someone, and just bitch about how "impossible" it is instead.

This gave me a flashback to when I had one of those gigs ages back.

I had a co-worker who was at all times spiteful towards everyone younger than them who they clearly viewed as their replacements, and insanely incompetent at their job. To the point that they not only made more work for everyone else, they practically sabotaged other people's workloads, and at one point caused a good chunk of my co-workers to leave en masse after they reported the lovely co-worker to HR for harassment and all kinds of poo poo. Still not fired.
I'm sure some bean counter at the state was like, "well, they saved us on labor so why fire 'em?"
I wound up leaving a few months later because the new job paid more and was closer to home. I wonder if they're still there running on spite or if they ever did retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

manpurse posted:

Never be first, never be last. Never volunteer.

and never allow yourself to care

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had a day of meetings because for right now I’m still technically transferring to the new site until my transfer back to the short term site goes through, and something about the endless tedium of completely worthless meetings was the funniest thing in the world to me at about 230. Straight up couldn’t stop laughing at the way such a large company was spending tens of thousands of dollars to have a bunch of people sit in a hotel conference room during one of its busiest weeks.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

manpurse posted:

Never be first, never be last. Never volunteer.

Truer words were never spoken.

I was talking to my father the other day, who is a true boomer with the mindset of "You need to work, you should be thinking about how to get ahead when you're not working, etc" - I told him that honestly, at this point, the only thing that matters to me is staying permanently WFH. If my department ever says we're going back, I'll get a new job. That said, if you could guarantee me 3% a year raises, permanent employment and permanent WFH, I could easily see myself working this position for the next 30 years or however long. It's braindead easy and I spend 90% of my day just sitting around watching YouTube because the bar is so loving low when you work at a giant company that we can finish all our assigned tasks in the first hour of the day, if not faster. Work to live, not live to work, etc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gin_Rummy posted:

That being said... a donut day each week would probably be infinitely cooler.

I definitely enjoy the occasional work donut especially if they announce it in advance so it can be a partial lunch substitute.

frogge posted:

This gave me a flashback to when I had one of those gigs ages back.

I had a co-worker who was at all times spiteful towards everyone younger than them who they clearly viewed as their replacements, and insanely incompetent at their job. To the point that they not only made more work for everyone else, they practically sabotaged other people's workloads, and at one point caused a good chunk of my co-workers to leave en masse after they reported the lovely co-worker to HR for harassment and all kinds of poo poo. Still not fired.

Imagined posted:

Most of the people I saw who SHOULD have been fired were old people who'd been there for a thousand years and were going to either die or retire any day now, so it wasn't worth it for anyone higher up to go through the hassle of documenting why they should be terminated when the end result would just be loving someone who probably USED to be a good worker out of a decent retirement. Not that that would stop anyone in the private sector, but it might if the private sector guy had to 'show your work' in documenting why they deserved to get fired and what steps were taken to avoid doing so first. I remember one old lady who was a couple months from retirement who would literally bring in the newspaper every day and just unfurl it across her desk in the morning and read the whole thing.

I had a coworker that combined those two elements, not spiteful but possessed zero skills and once when I was unfortunate enough to be paired with them on a project I did my work and shared the folder and they deleted it in an unrecoverable way within a minute. Generally spent all day reading online newspapers. Definitely worse than having no one at all as this ate up headcount and it was demoralizing to new employees to gradually learn someone on their team does nothing but won't be kicked out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Callback time!

SkyeAuroline posted:

considering this is the same guy who asked me to sort his excel file for him because he didn't know how
Make it TWO people this has come up for now, on two separate projects, this one much better-paid than me. How is this such a hard concept

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zarin posted:

I do wonder if The Goon Generation (TM) is uniquely placed in history where we grasp the Windows UI better than most because we grew up with it (this statement assumes some level of privilege I guess but bear with me): the people before us didn't have computers at all, and the ones coming up behind are growing up with tablets/smartphones, so they look at the Start Menu as some sort of weird thing they only use for work, similar to how I view most of the B2B software I use.

That was very depressing to write, I need to go lie down.
I think this understates how many people 30-45 are absolute poo poo at Windows.

E. Meanwhile I see an absolute champion zoomer asking on Slack how to load a Java profile into EMACS like it's 1997 again :corsair:

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 22, 2021

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
All hands on deck meeting for management today
"We heard your frothing backlash about being lied to, and we're working on it" A year after being told we could work from home, then that being rescinded.
-"you guys use specialized software, we can't afford to buy you new PCs." My computer is from 2015. We're a multi billion dollar company. Our specialized software is cloud hosted. Its basically an excel shell.
-Apparently someone went into an office and stole a ton of hard drives, and sold them to our competitors. Since security wasn't needed.
-One division of management has decided that driving up to a site, saying "nope it's a covid risk" counts as a completed job. They are at ~400% more work completed than usual. They will get massive bonuses.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SkyeAuroline posted:

Callback time!

Make it TWO people this has come up for now, on two separate projects, this one much better-paid than me. How is this such a hard concept

Why are people so averse to loving googling poo poo like this, do they not know that we learned it by loving googling

I don't understand, I seriously think that the whole thing about 80's to 00's folks is just "we know the google" and that's literally the one trick we really know how to do

Somfin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 23, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SkyeAuroline posted:

"Open File Explorer-"
"What's that?"

what the hell kind of hiring standards

This is Microsoft's fault for obfuscating the name of the shell program in Windows.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

~Coxy posted:

This is Microsoft's fault for obfuscating the name of the shell program in Windows.

I mean, if you have a folder open (or File Explorer pinned to your taskbar) when you right-click it the option to open a new folder/instance is literally "Open File Explorer"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I type into the Start Menu search for everything so I am very loving glad it’s called Edge now.

E: poo poo, I’m old enough to remember the difference between Win-R, explorer (look at files) and Win-R, iexplore (download Chrome after a Windows reinstall).

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 23, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't think young people will ever be as technologically illiterate as old people, though, because they grew up with google as an extension of their consciousness. Just having the habit of googling an error message puts you on the good half of the bell curve.

I think this makes younger people technically more competent than a they get credit for, sometimes.

I wanted to fix my car so I just ordered the parts and enrolled in a college of you tube course and swapped out a whole bunch of parts and fluids by net searching. Before that I'd done and oil change but otherwise had zero interest in cars.

In total I'm sure a lot of us have taken the equivalent of several introductory courses in a bunch of random subjects just by actively being online a lot.

On the other hand you can just stare at Imgur and learn nothing for the rest of your days.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just having the habit of googling an error message puts you on the good half of the bell curve.

Unless like so many dumbasses here you set Windows and Office in the national language, used for computers by like 5 millions people worldwide. Then you can't google anything, and I can't guide you by phone when needed because nothing has a name that makes sense. These people are all perfectly tri- or quadrilingual.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

~Coxy posted:

I've seen people stumped by "Finder" on a Mac. And "Desktop" on either. I also once spent 20 minutes, by my supervisor's count, explaining "right-click" when I was 1st level support for a university.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Rotten posted:

I once worked for a parks and rec crew doing maintenance. A lady who I worked with got a DUI on her lunch break and didn't get fired.
Another time she was on the big mower on a softball field, parked it halfway through the job, and promptly passed out, in the middle of the day.

I am pathologically opposed to most forms of authority so I really don't like the concept of reporting someone or telling management or anything like that. When I was a delivery driver there was a new hire who tested me to my very limits, he was kind of an rear end in a top hat to begin with, just a little arrogant and loud. He was hired at the end of the year so when the new year started he proceeded to use all of his PTO days before the end of February, I'm not sure why but this really bothered me. One day he came in so drunk that you could easily smell it and that was enough. He's one of the only co-workers I've ever ratted out and I wasn't sad about it at all.

He did end up getting fired a few days later, I think I was the push but not the final cause.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I had a coworker that combined those two elements, not spiteful but possessed zero skills and once when I was unfortunate enough to be paired with them on a project I did my work and shared the folder and they deleted it in an unrecoverable way within a minute. Generally spent all day reading online newspapers. Definitely worse than having no one at all as this ate up headcount and it was demoralizing to new employees to gradually learn someone on their team does nothing but won't be kicked out.

One of my old bosses was a pretty nice, charitable guy. One day this old (older than boomer I think) retired engineer from some defense/aerospace company in the DFW area came in and asked if there was anything he could do around the office. My boss made a sort of busy-work assistant position for him to do things that were not the best use of time for the rest of us (software devs, sales, support, etc.). He was fine with that for a few weeks but he soon tired of being the gopher and started trying to tell us how to do things around the office even going as far as suggesting new names for the products and just inserting himself into all kind of situations. We tried to tell him to back off but he evidently thought he was some senior director at Lockheed or some poo poo again and just got really arrogant and ugly with us. Thankfully my boss fired him after a month or so.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

~Coxy posted:

No, in this case she literally just didn't know how to navigate folders. Opens things from an email attachment, it ceases to exist once it's saved somewhere, except via "recent files" inside whatever Office program. That sort of thing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"All my files are in Word!"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"All my files are in Word!"

I had a genuine physical reaction to this post

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
5 days of conference room training. None is relevant to my team. I’m just waiting for my promotion to go through. This is loving torture. Having my time wasted drives me crazier than being insanely busy.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You're getting paid to sit and stare into space. Enjoy it!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, just pretend you're in E/N. You're being paid to switch your brain off, it's the modern dream.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Local Weather posted:

One of my old bosses was a pretty nice, charitable guy. One day this old (older than boomer I think) retired engineer from some defense/aerospace company in the DFW area came in and asked if there was anything he could do around the office. My boss made a sort of busy-work assistant position for him to do things that were not the best use of time for the rest of us (software devs, sales, support, etc.). He was fine with that for a few weeks but he soon tired of being the gopher and started trying to tell us how to do things around the office even going as far as suggesting new names for the products and just inserting himself into all kind of situations. We tried to tell him to back off but he evidently thought he was some senior director at Lockheed or some poo poo again and just got really arrogant and ugly with us. Thankfully my boss fired him after a month or so.

Dang that's no fun, it's bizarre when older coworkers retire then try to find reasons to return to the office. We had a not super popular guy who was loud about his pending retirement, like he would "accidentally" have Google Sheets showing his expected retirement income up on meeting room screens when other employees walked in, and it was like ok we get it enjoy your vacation home several hours away with your wife.

After he left he kept dropping by the office to make sure we understood the work he used to do (yes, it wasn't hard) and would keep wandering the halls. I could understand if our office had a kickass free cafeteria or lounge but it's just cubicles and beige. It felt like Shawshank Redemption if Morgan Freeman made parole but instead of going to Mexico decided to hang out at the prison to make sure laundry was still being done his way.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Love to get a request that involves typing up all of the data to be entered from scratch into an Excel spreadsheet, formatted in the order the fields need to be entered and with the exact requirement for each field... then screenshotted so I can't copy anything and sent over to me to be entered, the creation process for a spreadsheet taking longer than it would to directly enter it, and all this coming from someone who's been working in this system a decade longer than me and who did their own entry prior to me showing up.

I'd get it if they just sent me the raw file and had me do the entry from there, but really? Doing all of the effort outside the software just to put it on someone else to redo all your steps again. Unsure if it's spite or... I dunno, I've got no other candidates.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

Love to get a request that involves typing up all of the data to be entered from scratch into an Excel spreadsheet, formatted in the order the fields need to be entered and with the exact requirement for each field... then screenshotted so I can't copy anything and sent over to me to be entered, the creation process for a spreadsheet taking longer than it would to directly enter it, and all this coming from someone who's been working in this system a decade longer than me and who did their own entry prior to me showing up.

I'd get it if they just sent me the raw file and had me do the entry from there, but really? Doing all of the effort outside the software just to put it on someone else to redo all your steps again. Unsure if it's spite or... I dunno, I've got no other candidates.

Drooling moronic inability to empathize or think critically coupled with terminal laziness.

Don't ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity etc etc

Have you emailed them point blank asking for the file they're working on? And included 'waste of funding/resources to recreate the wheel'? And Cc'd your boss and their boss?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Teaching the general population about PrtSc or the Snip tool is the worst genie wish ever. I don't know why screenshot OCR isn't a thing yet.

I have most of the people I work with day to day trained to include the useful stuff in text next to the screenshot. Context and copyable text, two great tastes now together.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Outrail posted:

Drooling moronic inability to empathize or think critically coupled with terminal laziness.

Don't ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity etc etc

Have you emailed them point blank asking for the file they're working on? And included 'waste of funding/resources to recreate the wheel'? And Cc'd your boss and their boss?

no point in asking when the time it takes to get a reply, probably in the negative, takes 5x longer than just typing the whole loving thing out from a screenshot

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jeza posted:

no point in asking when the time it takes to get a reply, probably in the negative, takes 5x longer than just typing the whole loving thing out from a screenshot

This time yeah, but is it a pattern with this person? If you can get them on the same page, you may end up saving time in the long run. Also there’s the possibility that you mistype a field, then that comes back on you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

You're getting paid to sit and stare into space. Enjoy it!

It’s one of those things that’s nice for a little bit but when you’re on day 3 it’s maddening.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Local Weather posted:

I feel like the modern workplace has prepared me for this kind of scenario if I ever find myself there after I retire.

If I was in that position and if I were bored enough or mildly engaged to reach out to offer help or suggestions and got any kind of "no thanks, dude" back, I'd be content to go back to spending my downtime reading forums or watching youtube videos without the slightest bit of bruised ego. Even if I felt they were making catastrophic mistakes that could costs jobs or bring the company down, I'd have no problem staying the gently caress out it.

In what I'm doing today I have zero ownership of any kind of decision from product to process and its made very clear I'm just to be a cog and do whatever management says. The only thing that matters to me in return is a direct deposit made every two weeks.

What I'm saying is that I'm well trained for post-retirement work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This time yeah, but is it a pattern with this person? If you can get them on the same page, you may end up saving time in the long run. Also there’s the possibility that you mistype a field, then that comes back on you.

OP: it's not a pattern, normally we get sent much larger updates via Excel (... That still take just as long to enter into a sheet from scratch as they do to enter into our system, but still) so it's at least a little justifiable. Pushing for something better but with limited luck, plus I barely ever interact with this part of the company and so know nobody nor the dynamics of the dept in question. These requests just sorta showed up on our doorstep and my manager decided they were ours now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When I retire I'm going to be one of those cool old guys who's real active in Audubon and the local trail club.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's roughly a billion volunteer organizations of every stripe that you can only really work full time for by being already financially independent. I can't imagine the codependence to retire and go right back to a workplace you aren't getting paid by (retired contractors are another sort of insane but at least there's a deal involved) when you can go do chill rear end poo poo like be a museum docent or campground host or if you really want to exercise your big managerly horsepower, run a civil service program through Americorps as a volunteer administrator or grantee.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

There's roughly a billion volunteer organizations of every stripe that you can only really work full time for by being already financially independent. I can't imagine the codependence to retire and go right back to a workplace you aren't getting paid by (retired contractors are another sort of insane but at least there's a deal involved) when you can go do chill rear end poo poo like be a museum docent or campground host or if you really want to exercise your big managerly horsepower, run a civil service program through Americorps as a volunteer administrator or grantee.

That's like when Harry Truman was working shifts training docents and answering phones at his own presidential library.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh yeah I forgot campground host. That would kick rear end.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's like when Harry Truman was working shifts training docents and answering phones at his own presidential library.

Wait for real

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Wait for real

Yup, also because he didn’t want to be on a corporate board and had little savings he was nearly in poverty after leaving office, so Congress passed a $25k presidential pension to avoid having a former commander in chief be impoverished. At the time the only living ex presidents were him and Hoover, and the wealthy Hoover accepted it to avoid embarrassing Truman.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a friend just relayed in real-time an account of a company-wide update meeting where some sales person compared the company to "pepperoni. everyone loves pepperoni! it adds a little spice! who doesn't love pepperoni!?" in front of a visibly uncomfortable panel of mostly observant Jewish 3-letter execs

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I've erased out the names and phone numbers and stuff but this was literally just sent to our entire 3000 person multi-state company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I hope you are refreshing your inbox