Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
$15k used without strong opinions means in hell market you are on the lookout for the first car that isn't maliciously listed and doesn't seem to be falling apart. Good luck, god speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
V6 Impala maybe? They're great cruisers. Pretty cheap, the newest gen started in 2014 and those are available from about $10K. You're in Indiana so it'll be easy to find people to work on them for cheap, and parts are cheap including used parts. Most of the powertrain for the 3.6 is shared with other vehicles and is pretty reliable.

I also did just take a quick peek at Lexus ES350s and it actually looks like they didn't hold value all that well. 2010s with 100k miles are under 10 grand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zedprime posted:

$15k used without strong opinions means in hell market you are on the lookout for the first car that isn't maliciously listed and doesn't seem to be falling apart. Good luck, god speed.

it's not nearly this bad

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Agreed. The bottom of the market is turbo hosed but $15k will still buy you a damned decent car. It won't get you as nice a deal as it would have a year or two ago, but you aren't looking at shitboxes.

Impala is certainly worth a test drive. Had one as a rental and it was perfectly competent.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You used to be able to get a pretty decent civic or crv with less than 100k miles for like 10k I imagine 15 k will get you about the same or better still

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I trust you guys as plugged in to the wider used market better so that person can ignore my doom posting. For $15k my first stop would normally be CPO compacts but I don't know how you get a CPO right now without setting up a tent at the dealership to yell dibs when a lease return rolls up. I guess that also shows my preference for newer, warrantied cars or guaranteed maintenance history since I'd be terrified putting $15k toward something older but fancier in a tight market, PPI results be damned.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well the zeroth step in your thought process is don't waste time effort or money on CPO for a reliable Japanese compact car

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kia Fortes are good cars in that range in my experience. My brother bought a 2019 Kia Forte for like $12k and fuckin' loves it. It was like $2k under the normal price because it smelled kind of off, turns out there was 2 cigarettes in the filter and he pulled them out, had them run an ozone thing on it and it doesn't smell like anything anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mobbly you have a manual which helps a lot

I do, yeah... also just 80hp however :v:

I would've thought that the slushbox doesn't make as much of a difference on there highway, but the OP was actually pretty clear that gear hunting was actually and unpredictable lockdowns were a problem so that's my bad for overlooking it. Although it's fine, it's definitely not the ideal highway cruiser.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
First off, thank you to everyone who made me buy a Miata, I love it lots. Now that I have a fun car, I need a family car.

Proposed Budget:
probably <$30k, I prefer cars that are cheap for how long they last, but don't mind spending more if it lasts longer.
New or Used: either
Body Style: 4 door, hatchback preferred
How will you be using the car?: This car is being used to replace 2 cars: a 2010 Kia Forte that carts my family to Safeway and occasionally on 400 mile road trips, as well as a 1999 Elantra that we use to haul drum sets and mulch.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? hell no
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership, prefer manual transmission

It would be nice to have an electric or hybrid, but we do the 400 mile trips quite often and so I'm not sure that would work (how fast do electric cars charge? That's not feasible, right?)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Would a Prius work for you?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Prius can fit a surprising amount of stuff.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
puh-puh-puh-prius

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Cool, that makes it easy. Worth it to buy new in this market?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

moana posted:

Its a bad time to buy anything but if you are going to buy then new is better than used.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

No lie I'm going to be pretty happy if we actually get someone in this thread to buy a brand new Prius. It is sometimes tough to get people to admit it fits their needs the best.

Plus, you might like how it looks.

Get a new Prius!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Too bad they don't make a manual transmission prius

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Idgaf how stupid I look as long as it isn't a PT cruiser.

DildenAnders posted:

This is the only thing that makes me sad, I have never owed an automatic car. But whatever, I can always drive the miata.

Edit: oh wtf are all these trims I have to choose from

Double edit: lol never mind, going from my manual lock and window Kia, even the base trim is loving fancy pants compared to what I'm used to

moana fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 23, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think prius is one of the few vehicles you can still get a great deal on used? Just a 1 minute search I found one with 23 k miles for 13k less than new (almost 40% or so)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

moana posted:

I recently (March) bought a new prius because there was almost no discount used (and in fact some with comparable specs were more expensive for reasons I genuinely do not understand).
So, maybe? Could depend on your local market, I"m not sure.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

bicievino posted:

I recently (March) bought a new prius because there was almost no discount used (and in fact some with comparable specs were more expensive for reasons I genuinely do not understand).
So, maybe? Could depend on your local market, I"m not sure.

How was your purchase experience, what's your opinion of the car so far?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Prius planetary drivetrain is cool in a way most cvts are not http://prius.ecrostech.com/original/Understanding/PowerSplitDevice.htm

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DildenAnders posted:

Doesn't Honda still make a manual hybrid? If not, there's always the OG Insight!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Doesn't Honda still make a manual hybrid? If not, there's always the OG Insight!

the cr-z died a death so inglorious that nobody noticed

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
The insight was the hybrid with the CVT mated to a 5-speed manual no? I can't lie, that's pretty drat cool.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Inner Light posted:

No lie I'm going to be pretty happy if we actually get someone in this thread to buy a brand new Prius.

I lurk this thread and was convinced to get a new prius back in 2017 :yayclod: (oh I'm getting old)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Tyro posted:

Carvana temp tag expiration shenanigans

So if anyone cares I emailed the local Carvana office, instead of the corporate morons I'd been dealing with, and I assume they know my rights because they very ricky tick printed me a new temp tag and drove it to my house.

If this one expires before they legally transfer title I'm going to try to give the car back and buy a Prius. gently caress it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DildenAnders posted:

The insight was the hybrid with the CVT mated to a 5-speed manual no? I can't lie, that's pretty drat cool.

No, there was no CVT in the mix for either the first Insight or the CR-Z MT drivetrains. They both used Hondas older hybrid system where the electric component of the system was basically a giant starter motor that could help out the gas engine and do a bit of regenerative braking.

Toyota has built at least one model that bolts a conventional automatic onto the output side of a Prius-style planetary hybrid drivetrain, though.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Inner Light posted:

How was your purchase experience, what's your opinion of the car so far?

Purchase experience was: mostly okay.
Caveat: I had never bought a car before, prior car was given to us by my inlaws, so I don't know if my experience was objectively good/bad, but it was certainly something.

I'm in Seattle so there are a shitload of Toyota dealerships in the area. I figured out what I wanted, called/emailed all of them based on what was in stock then, and got some quotes. Some wouldn't tell me anything other than what was posted online, others gave me a lower number on the phone but wouldn't email me things. I ended up using the lowest one of those to tell a dealership that had the color/model in stock that I wanted what I was willing to pay, and they beat it by a grand. This was on the second-to-last day of Q1, so that probably helped motivate them.

Impressions of the car:
It is so much faster and nicer to drive than my 98 Subaru. I know folks say priuses are slow and annoying, but when you've got my frame of reference it's fine. I don't have any issue passing folks at 80, which is as fast as I ever need/want to go.
It's a very capable bike-hauling machine. I got a hitch installed and can carry two bikes on there plus a third in the back, plus two passengers. As I mentioned above - I'm very impressed with how much usable space there is in the car.
It is a good appliance.
One major annoyance is the backup noise - especially with a hitch rack installed. The car beeps when in reverse, plus with a rack on there there's a separate beep for "you're about to run something over" and there's a third beep (all different pitch/frequency) for cross-traffic alert. It sounds like a loving ER.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

bicievino posted:

Purchase experience was: mostly okay.
Caveat: I had never bought a car before, prior car was given to us by my inlaws, so I don't know if my experience was objectively good/bad, but it was certainly something.

I'm in Seattle so there are a shitload of Toyota dealerships in the area. I figured out what I wanted, called/emailed all of them based on what was in stock then, and got some quotes. Some wouldn't tell me anything other than what was posted online, others gave me a lower number on the phone but wouldn't email me things. I ended up using the lowest one of those to tell a dealership that had the color/model in stock that I wanted what I was willing to pay, and they beat it by a grand. This was on the second-to-last day of Q1, so that probably helped motivate them.

Impressions of the car:
It is so much faster and nicer to drive than my 98 Subaru. I know folks say priuses are slow and annoying, but when you've got my frame of reference it's fine. I don't have any issue passing folks at 80, which is as fast as I ever need/want to go.
It's a very capable bike-hauling machine. I got a hitch installed and can carry two bikes on there plus a third in the back, plus two passengers. As I mentioned above - I'm very impressed with how much usable space there is in the car.
It is a good appliance.
One major annoyance is the backup noise - especially with a hitch rack installed. The car beeps when in reverse, plus with a rack on there there's a separate beep for "you're about to run something over" and there's a third beep (all different pitch/frequency) for cross-traffic alert. It sounds like a loving ER.

Exterior or interior beep when backing up?

Its gotta be interior which is annoying, but not as god awful ridiculous as a Prius acting like a big rig backing up.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

https://youtu.be/cL2FKDtpRt8
This video is why I thought a Honda Insight had a CVT. Still a cool car though.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

nwin posted:

Exterior or interior beep when backing up?

It’s gotta be interior which is annoying, but not as god awful ridiculous as a Prius acting like a big rig backing up.

Haha, yeah, just interior.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

bicievino posted:

Haha, yeah, just interior.

Like to alert the driver they are moving backwards? I would have figured it was for pedestrians since they are so quiet.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Like to alert the driver they are moving backwards? I would have figured it was for pedestrians since they are so quiet.

I haven't ever been outside it while it's reversing, but as far as I can tell, yes, it's purely to alert the driver that they are in reverse.
So, yeah, Toyota thinks I'm a loving idiot.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

when my wife first got her prius i found the fact that up is reverse and down is drive on the little shift chode to be pretty counterintuitive and was grateful for the immediate feedback telling me i'd been an idiot

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Late Fees posted:

when my wife first got her prius i found the fact that up is reverse and down is drive on the little shift chode to be pretty counterintuitive and was grateful for the immediate feedback telling me i'd been an idiot

Toyota brought the Invert mouselook experience to driving.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Was that not already a thing on steering column autoshifters?

I'd save that judgement for the Devil's manual layout.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The devil's manual layout is a 5 gear with reverse where 6 would go and no lockout

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

KillHour posted:

The devil's manual layout is a 5 gear with reverse where 6 would go and no lockout
There's a simple solution to that problem: never have enough money to afford a 6-speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

There's a simple solution to that problem: never have enough money to afford a 6-speed.

You won't because you'll be spending all your money on transmission rebuilds.