Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

We are the heavenly nago, you cannot stop us but the arcade boss sure loving can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005
He sounds like Michael Cera

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Nago is my nemesis now with all those buttons that are half the screen. Faust was my nemesis before for this reason, but I barely see any Fausts in Strive....

Real hurthling! posted:

Anjis butterfly is too slow

For real slow projectiles always gently caress with me way more than fast ones.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 24, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Ailumao posted:

Nago is my nemesis now with all those buttons that are half the screen. Faust was my nemesis before for this reason, but I barely see any Fausts in Strive....

How do you feel about Axl?

e: I like the Japanese voices better than the English ones, but I want to know what all the characters are saying. Once I get bored of that I'll change it back

big deal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 24, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've still never come across an Axl lol. (I am bad and also only bought this game last weekend)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pot vs Nago is actually fun, Pot vs Axl is miserable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ailumao posted:

For real slow projectiles always gently caress with me way more than fast ones.

Sorry, i mean it takes 7 years to come out so its not a safe neutral tool, its for after knock down only. The actual projectile speed across the screen i have no issue with.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Not being able to gatling 2K into 2S as May or 2S into anything really screwed me up for the first hour of play but I was able to adjust.

I've still been trying to throw with HS though which has gotten me blown up a ton of times. But at the same time, this means I can meaty people with a low as May without worrying about wakeup throw reversals which is something I wish I could do in Accent Core.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Regardless of any other feelings you could have about the soundtrack you have to admit it is filled to absolute BURSTING with lines that are fun to yell out out of conteNON-STOP LOVE SONG

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The verbose machine translated English lyrics to Necessary Discrepancy are right at home for prog metal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Anybody finding it impossible to get into a match on PC right now? I just get a black screen on game startup and lose connection. I’m mad because a level 6 I-No kept trying to match with me and I wanted some EZ wins.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1407870997865263105

Command grab loses to backdash -> Dash RC -> Command grab. Take notes

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Regardless of any other feelings you could have about the soundtrack you have to admit it is filled to absolute BURSTING with lines that are fun to yell out out of conteNON-STOP LOVE SONG

that is bullshitBLAZING

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ok I beat up an i-no so badly they refused to match me and then I went up a floor. I'm getting the hang of it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what is up with that potemkin color. a mod i guess

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

b_d posted:

what is up with that potemkin color. a mod i guess

It's a secret color that you can only get via a color unlocker. You can't get it legit yet.
There's one like that for every character.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Command grab loses to backdash -> Dash RC -> Command grab. Take notes

That clip inspired me to do some testing.

https://twitter.com/NFJTheNix/status/1408036609661018115

Setup obviously loses to people mashing (unless they mash throw) and the air throw is techable, but still. I think fast RC from a command grabs is strong enough that it's going to start becoming common once people are really used to the game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Any advice on improving my oki as Gio? When I knock them down I try to mix up a normal S combo, 214S, 5D, 2D, 6P, and throws, but my success rate isn't great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You gotta see what your opponent is doing and react accordingly. If they’re panic mashing then nail them with a jump-in, if they’re crouch blocking whomp them with the D, if they’re afraid to hit buttons then throw them, if they try to jump out then 6P them back into the corner, if they wakeup super then tbag and quit the game after 1 match. You can whiff punish a lot of peeps just walking up to them like you’re gonna attack and 2D into a big juicy counter.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

guppy posted:

Any advice on improving my oki as Gio? When I knock them down I try to mix up a normal S combo, 214S, 5D, 2D, 6P, and throws, but my success rate isn't great.

Sounds like you're making it too difficult on yourself, if you can get a meaty c.S there's not many reasons not to do it. You can stagger into another c.S with dash momentum, jump cancel, dash up throw, frame trap with 5H/2H/2D, reset pressure with your plus on block specials or just raw dash up etc. If you think they're going to reversal, go for a dash throw/dash block. You can mix in more stuff once you have a solid feel for these two.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

wakeup super is usually a genius move so i see why you’d be intimidated.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone made a "these buttons can be punished, please punish them" compilation yet? I could really use one especially against gio and ky lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can’t punish any of gio’s moves. except raw ground super. air super is + on block.

e: ok ok and 6H, which they will never do outside of a combo without meter to roman cancel.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Has anyone made a "these buttons can be punished, please punish them" compilation yet? I could really use one especially against gio and ky lol

I think the character matchup stuff in the mission mode is basically that. Kizzie put out a couple videos but the editing style is kind of memey.

Giovanna's 6H rekkas are all at least -10, 236K (Spiral Arrow) and 214S can both be 6P'ed and her anti air dp is -15 if you ground block it.
Ky's Stun Dipper is -15 (-10 with shock state) so you can probably at least smack him for it but you can instant block the second hit for a c.S starter. If you aren't in shock state, Foudre Arc is -1 on stand block and you can jab to interrupt their pressure.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

guppy posted:

-cS seems like a good meaty, it's +3 so you can go for a tick throw or press what you want afterward if they block, or convert into big damage if they mash out.
-You can also run up into about cS range, shimmy backward to bait mashing, reversals and throw teching, then punish with whatever makes sense at that range for Gio.
-If you've conditioned them to sit still you can throw them occasionally on their wakeup.
-Meaty 2K, 2S or 2D isn't as good on block as cS, but they can open someone up if they're trying to fuzzy jump or do other stuff of that nature. 2D also has a ton of active frames, if you time it right on their wakeup you will be +, though you can't gatling into anything from there.

I don't recommend throwing out 5D on their wakeup very often. They can block it, punish you and then you're the one who is knocked down. 6P also doesn't seem great since it's minus and hits mid. If you're using it vs jumps, you can instead catch them low and hit them out of their prejump.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 24, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Countblanc posted:

The back half of the final area of Mission mode is all about whats fake

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You can also easily test stuff against a character in training mode if you swear a block chain is fake if you know it's coming also.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Sol and Chipp are in the unique position of being able to punish Giovanna's 214K if it's spaced poorly since it's -4 and they have 3f normals. If she does it in your face or you IB it (lol) any character can punish with throw.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anji can 5p it or at least the mission about that move being not a combo let me clear it with anji 5p

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Anji's 5p is tied for the slowest in the game at 6f, IIRC.
If Gio keeps pushing buttons after she's minus then you can counterhit her, but if she blocks you won't get anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

she kicks you and you block for a while in the mission first so maybe thats had something to do with it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For centuries mankind has asked, what if Nagoriyuki had an air dash?

https://twitter.com/grain_death/status/1407892882699194369

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Countblanc posted:

gio 236+k (cammy torpedo) and 214+s (crossup kicks) startups are both punishable on reaction with 6p

if you don't punish it gio gets a bunch of frame advantage

gio 214+k (wolf kick) is -4 on block and it usually means it's your turn now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want to play Anji but I absolutely hate his normals. Specifically the fact that they're unreliable as hell.
5S 5H Fujin might hit or the Fujin might just whiff whenever the game feels like it. Same with 2K - 2D gattling, the latter just whiffs whenever it feels like it cause it's got lovely range.

I guess I'm going back to Leo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I went from floor 5 to 8 last night with Leo. Something locked in as far as being able to relentlessly apply pressure and pick a good moment to cross up. I also love his defensive options. "Whiffing" a slash to get your block stance then countering aggro characters like Gio that really want to be on the front foot is gold.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

I want to play Anji but I absolutely hate his normals. Specifically the fact that they're unreliable as hell.
5S 5H Fujin might hit or the Fujin might just whiff whenever the game feels like it. Same with 2K - 2D gattling, the latter just whiffs whenever it feels like it cause it's got lovely range.

I guess I'm going back to Leo.

Finish fujin with the low follow up and always be safe.
Learn the ranges for tap vs held fujin too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the answer to Fujin spam down-back, react and mash with punch if nothing comes out immediately?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The overhead is not a combo if you are fast you can interrupt it. If you block it or the empty fujin with no follow up you can punish hard

The low is safe. Anji should block or twirl after it if you block it so either do a block string or grab him

The dagger hop is plus its still anjis turn

The empty hop means you are getting thrown so tech it

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

chumbler posted:

For centuries mankind has asked, what if Nagoriyuki had an air dash?

https://twitter.com/grain_death/status/1407892882699194369

lol cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm really struggling to play this, which is a shame because I'd really like to. The last time I played fighting games was GGXX like a decade ago and it didn't feel nearly this shaky. Maybe it's my controller, or maybe it's my old man thumbs, but I keep accidentally jumping or dashing and I can't even do a bare 623 or 632146 reliably. It's a bit easier on the dpad, I guess. I tried to learn a couple of combos and can't connect anything above like 3 attacks even a single time in training. Haven't played online yet since I barely feel like I'm playing the game, just awkwardly button-mashing.