Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Making this thread as the opposite mirror to the stockholm thread, post about games you got that you didn't really had much confidence in but ended up loving a lot.

For me the biggest surprise was Megaman X Command Mission (GC version). I got it as a christmas gift for an uncle in like 2006 and thought it was going to suck because I thought Megaman didn't fit JRPGs but I actually liked it a lot, the gameplay was pretty engaging and it got me to complete it and do a lot of the lategame stuff too, even revisited it a few years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I was iffy on Resident Evil 6 going in because everyone seemed to hate it and I didn't really like RE5 that much. But I ended up really enjoying it as an over the top action game with some RE flavoring.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I remember thinking FFXV was gonna be a big joke game, but it ended up being my favorite game of that year lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I remember thinking FFXV was gonna be a big joke game, but it ended up being my favorite game of that year lol

yeah same, i really wasnt expecting that game to be anything and it ended up kicking rear end. ff7r was like that too, i went frm lolling about it when it was announced to fuckin loving it

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I bought Super Mario Maker on a whim because the imp zone thread title made me laugh but it ended up being my second most played game on Wii U

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm not the greatest at RTS games and I don't like even mildly timed games but Pikmin is pretty great all around, might be my favorite Nintendo series.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Breath of the Wild.

I saw it was produced by the game guy that brought us Skyward Sword so I had zero hope for the game. Only adding to that was the fact that I didn't like open world games, and I figured it was going to be some mediocre release that everyone was hyped for like they were for every Zelda game. Ended up being pretty much my favorite game of all time

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was iffy on Resident Evil 6 going in because everyone seemed to hate it and I didn't really like RE5 that much. But I ended up really enjoying it as an over the top action game with some RE flavoring.

Same here, I played Leon first and hated it initially but by the end I loved it. I've played through it like 6 times with different people at this point.

The biggest one for me has to be the Binding of Isaac Rebirth, I played the original a decent amount and wanted to love it but it flash just felt like poo poo for such a big game and I kind of hated the aesthetic. Rebirth came out and I ended up barely playing it at first but then Afterbirth came out and was big here in IZ and I ended up getting insanely addicted. And again when Repentance came out and an IZ thread was posted. Thanks imps

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
closest i can think of rn is deus ex human revolution. thought it was gonna be a piece of poo poo but it ended up being p. deece. i still like the original one a lot more, tho, never bothered finishing mankind divided either

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

apex legends. i usually had an aversion to online fps games, overwatch basically being the only one i played and usually im just loving around on there, and on paper everything about it sounded like the trendy stuff i wasn't really feeling. free to play, pay for cosmetics, battle royal mode, characters being paywalled unless you just played forever. two of my work friends kept bullying me into eventually trying it and it wound up being my most played game of 2020. its really fun and the characters are well designed and interesting. the endorphin release from winning a match is also really good too, it makes you feel like a badass even if you did loving terrible. my favorite EA game since dead space.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fucker posted:

closest i can think of rn is deus ex human revolution. thought it was gonna be a piece of poo poo but it ended up being p. deece. i still like the original one a lot more, tho, never bothered finishing mankind divided either

Yeah I was sure it was going to be trash. And it sort of is, what with the boss fights and stuff. But it was engaging enough I finished it in one or two sittings.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I don’t usually like card battle systems in rpgs so when Slay the Spire came out I dodged it for a long time. I ended up getting it on sale way later and played almost nothing except it for several months

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Most recently, Final Fantasy 14. I decided to give the free trial a spin on PS5 expecting to shelve it soon after because of my dislike of MMOs in general, and, well, now I’m level 60 and have Endwalker preordered.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
cant deny, undertale won me over

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought Rage was gonna be total trash but I got it on sale for 50 cents it's a good time.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

apex legends. i usually had an aversion to online fps games, overwatch basically being the only one i played and usually im just loving around on there, and on paper everything about it sounded like the trendy stuff i wasn't really feeling. free to play, pay for cosmetics, battle royal mode, characters being paywalled unless you just played forever. two of my work friends kept bullying me into eventually trying it and it wound up being my most played game of 2020. its really fun and the characters are well designed and interesting. the endorphin release from winning a match is also really good too, it makes you feel like a badass even if you did loving terrible. my favorite EA game since dead space.

elf help book posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mnDjSGq.mp4

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im sure its a good game, but its time. give me titanfall 3, respawn.

elf help book posted:

i played and enjoyed undertale b4 its aids fanbase developed and grew out of control. its a game i thought i would like, liked and then had to never think of again :eng99:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

elf help book posted:

This

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

when i started Bloodborne i was like "what the hell? this is what everyone was talking about?" and then around the time i got to the point where i could reliably clear through huge crowds, the appeal just suddenly clicked for me.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I thought Rage was gonna be total trash but I got it on sale for 50 cents it's a good time.

if it was a straight fps with none of the open world poo poo and actually had an ending it would have become an instant classic for me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i'm not really into musuo-style games because i played one when i was a kid and found it boring pretty quickly but hyrule warriors ended up being a lot of fun

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

i'm not really into musuo-style games because i played one when i was a kid and found it boring pretty quickly but hyrule warriors ended up being a lot of fun

i thought dynasty warriors 2 looked stupid when i saw some of my friends playing it, then one day one of them handed me a controller and i got addicted. i only ever played with friends on their files until hyrule warriors though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i was a little bitch and didnt like cod 4 when i played it at a friends house, thought halo was way better. then mw2 came out and i played it for 999999999 hours and its the greatest game of all time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pillars of eternity 2. the first game grabbed me briefly but I grew to hate it, it was tedious bullshit and you spent almost the entirety of it in samey swamps and caves.

2 makes 1 feel like a tiny demo for the game they actually wanted to make. also had a turn based mode that made combat way better, tons of variety in enemies, areas, quests, dialogue, etc. everything was voiced and more concisely written unlike the first game that fully expected you to read an entire loving book every conversation.

anyway I completed it in 100 hours during lockdown and later I started another file and put another 100 hours into it, game owns

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

heehee posted:

i was a little bitch and didnt like cod 4 when i played it at a friends house, thought halo was way better. then mw2 came out and i played it for 999999999 hours and its the greatest game of all time

halo was way better

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

halo was way better

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I kept hearing Mega Man Network Transmission sucked but it turned out to be great. People were probably just mad cause they kept dying to the first boss (and the fact that you could slide under bosses was not explained at all as far as I remember)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

man nurse posted:

Most recently, Final Fantasy 14. I decided to give the free trial a spin on PS5 expecting to shelve it soon after because of my dislike of MMOs in general, and, well, now I’m level 60 and have Endwalker preordered.

FF14 was the first thing that came to mind for me too. I put tons of time into WoW over the years and was pretty sick of that MMO formula, and never really cared for Final Fantasy either. People constantly heaping praise on FF14 got me to try the free trial, and whoops that game owns.

Then I played Dragon Quest XI and suddenly I'm a dipshit in my 30s finally learning that actually, JRPGs are good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Walrus Pete posted:

FF14 was the first thing that came to mind for me too. I put tons of time into WoW over the years and was pretty sick of that MMO formula, and never really cared for Final Fantasy either. People constantly heaping praise on FF14 got me to try the free trial, and whoops that game owns.

Then I played Dragon Quest XI and suddenly I'm a dipshit in my 30s finally learning that actually, JRPGs are good.

There's a lot of real bad ones as a warning

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

lol, of course. But it's a genre that I pretty much entirely ignored, except for Chrono Trigger and Persona 4 & 5, for a long-rear end time. There are a ton of gems out there to eventually catch up on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Walrus Pete posted:

lol, of course. But it's a genre that I pretty much entirely ignored, except for Chrono Trigger and Persona 4 & 5, for a long-rear end time. There are a ton of gems out there to eventually catch up on.

SMT Nocturne just got a remaster and if you've got a Switch SMT V this fall

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Dragon Quest Builders 2

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
poo poo, i dunno. uncharted 2, maybe?? i'm not even sure i would say i "hated" it, i just remember the circumstances being that i was at a friend's place and they really wanted me to play this game that i kept saying "no" to for some inexplicable reason until i just gave up and tried it out just because they wouldn't shut up about it

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 24, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My and a buddy played through pretty much every Final Fantasy (except MMOs) together, really loving the good ones and making fun of the bad ones which was also great. We hated FF13, so when I got FF13-2 next I fully expected another journey of lulz

Instead, we both ended up enjoying it so much that I bought the PC version so we could remotely replay it after moving to different cities! 13-2 is radically more open than 13 was (surely both as a reaction to critique and also because they had a bunch of unrelated assets lying around), but that's great and hella fun to explore, and the monsters-as-pokemon aspect ended up being extremely addictive. The story is some of the dumbest nonsense I ever experienced but that's all fine, the gameplay rules

except for the clock puzzles those are horseshit, but can't all be perfect

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the first one that came to mind was Three Houses. i haven't played many RPGs and had played no tactical RPGs up to that point as far as i can remember, but i gave it a shot after hearing a friend who rarely games talk about how much he enjoyed it. it's now my most played game on my Switch by miles, possibly my most played game of the past couple years, and makes me want to dive further into the series once i beat all the routes.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I only bought Dark Souls because people wouldnt shut the gently caress up about it in seemingly every fyad thread I wanted to read or post in. And the rest is history, haha! *hastily trying to flip past all the pages in the photo book showing me getting my rear end drilled out by hollows for months*

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Same

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

bloodborne. i’d never played a from software game before that, so i wanted to see what the big deal was. now it’s one of my favorite games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

I only bought Dark Souls because people wouldnt shut the gently caress up about it in seemingly every fyad thread I wanted to read or post in. And the rest is history, haha! *hastily trying to flip past all the pages in the photo book showing me getting my rear end drilled out by hollows for months*

lol, the Miyazaki experience.

Walrus Pete posted:

i mean if you're going to go for just one, chrono trigger definitely isn't a bad choice at least. the only problem with catching up with JRPGs is that a lot of the square enix ports are downright hostile in how bad they are, so picking which version you want to play gets harder and harder, but there are always people willing to help and at the end of the day, emulation is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lol one of my buddies bought it, probably made it as far as the Firelink Cemetery and sold it back to Gamestop a few days later. Now he's got the platinum on every game, bought a PS3 just for Demons Souls, etc