Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ds9 synopses from Morn's perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The one where Jake and Nog do a bunch of chores to try and get a baseball card from a mad scientist

I remember this episode fondly as the thing that taught me how to pronounce 'ennui'. If only he had also mentioned 'rhetoric' and 'epitome' while he was at it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Royal Updog posted:

ds9 synopses from Morn's perspective

the bit where everybody talks about how charming and talkative and charismatic morn is all the time rules

FunkyAl posted:

Nog acquires a small parcel of land

legit one of my favorites

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jake and Nog actually work really well because they're just smart enough to get into real trouble. They shoulda brought in Alexander and Ziyal for a full quartet of space teenage shenanigans.

The bit where they go on a camping trip with Sisko and Quark gets interesting, they kinda basically spell out that it's basically idealised future humanity encountering its past.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They shouldve played spin the bottle with lizzie mcguire

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jake and Nog actually work really well because they're just smart enough to get into real trouble. They shoulda brought in Alexander and Ziyal for a full quartet of space teenage shenanigans.

The bit where they go on a camping trip with Sisko and Quark gets interesting, they kinda basically spell out that it's basically idealised future humanity encountering its past.

Alexander was not yet a teenager at the end of DS9

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it's kind of funny that Quark of all people is trying to claim that the Ferengi never practiced slavery.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ignorant Hick posted:

I mean it's kind of funny that Quark of all people is trying to claim that the Ferengi never practiced slavery.

It's not slavery it's sparkling indentured servitude

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Tsaedje posted:

Alexander was not yet a teenager at the end of DS9

Alexander had been conscripted by a klingon warbird

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I guess Klingon kids grow faster?

and didn't he end up going to the klingon academy?

klingons rely a lot on suspension of disbelief. Sort of like how everyone speaks english, which is because of the universal translator, but then can also speak their own language somehow which doesn't translate and also when their mouths move they are making shapes for english words.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

FunkyAl posted:

Alexander had been conscripted by a klingon warbird

At the age of 9 or 10 canonically. But you have to assume that's normal for them I guess.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

nah he wasn't conscripted. he enlisted voluntarily because he wanted to connect with his Klingon heritage and prove something to himself / Worf.
don't think the Empire's conscription officers would have tried to exercise jurisdiction on Earth. where Alexander was living with his adoptive grandparents since his home on the Enterprise D blew up.

and yeah, Ron Moore said it was just assumed Klingons mature a bit faster than humans, and expected they wouldn't have to explain that in show that he turned up as a mid-teen equivalent at age of ten.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cerv posted:

and yeah, Ron Moore said it was just assumed Klingons mature a bit faster than humans, and expected they wouldn't have to explain that in show that he turned up as a mid-teen equivalent at age of ten.

He forget he was writing for SciFi fans or something?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Cranappleberry posted:

I guess Klingon kids grow faster?

and didn't he end up going to the klingon academy?

klingons rely a lot on suspension of disbelief. Sort of like how everyone speaks english, which is because of the universal translator, but then can also speak their own language somehow which doesn't translate and also when their mouths move they are making shapes for english words.

Trying to fix this is how you end up with the Klingons in Discovery.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

And the DS9 Tribble callback episode.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlternateNu posted:

And the DS9 Tribble callback episode.

That was good, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the episode was good but i think they should have played the klingon thing differently

the best way to do it would have been to do up Michael Dorn in TOS-style makeup while the Defiant is in the 23rd century, and - here's the really important bit - nobody notices or comments on it in any way whatsoever. the moment they're back in the 24th century, bam, he's back to the ridgehead we all know and love.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Saw this in my timeline, thought this thread might appreciate it:

https://twitter.com/frenegi/status/1396912879257915396

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the episode was good but i think they should have played the klingon thing differently

the best way to do it would have been to do up Michael Dorn in TOS-style makeup while the Defiant is in the 23rd century, and - here's the really important bit - nobody notices or comments on it in any way whatsoever. the moment they're back in the 24th century, bam, he's back to the ridgehead we all know and love.

That would have been just been :discourse: beyond :discourse:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hey dol merry dol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ignorant Hick posted:

I do love that Quark is both an accurate critic of Federation humans and also doing all the same things they are

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

I do love that Quark is both an accurate critic of Federation humans and also doing all the same things they are

I feel like a big part of why Quark in particular is uncomfortable with humans is specifically because he has so much in common with them and gets along with them so well. They're the ones tempting him out of what he considers to be the right way to live.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

W.T. Fits posted:

Saw this in my timeline, thought this thread might appreciate it:

https://twitter.com/frenegi/status/1396912879257915396

I loled at "watch the Irishman suffer".

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I didn't want them fixed. Klingons are great! A few inconsistencies for a lot of fun.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

He knows he deserves it. He knows why.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like a big part of why Quark in particular is uncomfortable with humans is specifically because he has so much in common with them and gets along with them so well. They're the ones tempting him out of what he considers to be the right way to live.

I bet he dies mostly broke.

Also why wasn't there a Ferengi civil war? The reforms imply that there will be taxes levied and a whole bunch of stuff the pervading culture hates. Even if most male Ferengi are disaffected like Rom and Nog (obviously all the women are), the power still rests mostly with the obscenely wealthy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's established a fair bit that Ferengi don't really do war unless it's in self-defense or they're profiting off it. (though Ferengi Civil War is actually a deal in the mobile game Star Trek: Timelines, where the Ferengi are split into the more progressive Alliance and the Traditionalists, since the premise of the game has past and future colliding) There's actually some implication that Ferengi are surprisingly willing to change up their entire society and culture overnight if there's more profit in it for them- for one, that they make more money off women as equals, and thus customers, then they do by keeping them shut away and oppressed, and secondly, the galaxy is more willing to do business with them if they're honest and ethical. (Quark learns this the hard way in the episode where he becomes an arms dealer; he's very good at it, but all his goodwill with the Federation and Bajor instantly disappears)

Funny thing is that Quark is probably the type to do well in the long run specifically because that despite his aspirations to be a proper Ferengi, he's not a typical Ferengi; he has a distinct taste for women who are quite specifically not subservient (having shown genuine interest in Jadzia, Kira, Grillka, a Cardassian and a Vulcan) and shows a lot of attributes that other cultures value; as said, his extraverted, friendly nature means he gets along great with the Federation, he's shown courage, an understanding of honour, and in a pinch a capacity for violence that Klingons would respect, and at one point he's able to use game theory to give a convincing argument to a Vulcan- in other words, convincing her that his logic is sound. One of the jokes is that at the start of the series, Quark is considered dangerously liberal and even philanthropic by Ferengi authorities, but after the reforms at the end, he specifically becomes the last holdout of traditional Ferengi values- he went from a progressive to a traditionalist just by standing still.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I think he dies without much money because he'll spend it all helping his friends. He'll call it loans with high interest and then never collect.

Interesting information, though.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lead out in cuffs posted:

At least it's not for the traditional reasons for Irish suffering, the English captain on TNG gets randomly screwed with too, so the universe isn't completely biased. Though at least when Picard gets gaslit into a decades-long experience in minutes he gets to have a family and learn playing the flute, O'brien didn't get any valuable life lessons (insert your own dirty "learned to play the flute from his cellmate" jokes here).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

At least it's not for the traditional reasons for Irish suffering, the English captain on TNG gets randomly screwed with too, so the universe isn't completely biased. Though at least when Picard gets gaslit into a decades-long experience in minutes he gets to have a family and learn playing the flute, O'brien didn't get any valuable life lessons (insert your own dirty "learned to play the flute from his cellmate" jokes here).

I dunno, there's the bit where through Science Shenanigans, Kira ends up carrying O'Brien and Keiko's second child, and things get weird between them, when Keiko sends them to relax at a secluded cottage and while in the runabout, Kira and O'Brien both look at each other with expressions of visible, growing, mutual horror while describing how romantic the scenario is. I'm not sure what was learned there, but it was funny.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MadDogMike posted:

Picard is a Frenchman :smuggo:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, there's the bit where through Science Shenanigans, Kira ends up carrying O'Brien and Keiko's second child, and things get weird between them, when Keiko sends them to relax at a secluded cottage and while in the runabout, Kira and O'Brien both look at each other with expressions of visible, growing, mutual horror while describing how romantic the scenario is. I'm not sure what was learned there, but it was funny.

Keiko, there are better ways to either have a threesome or fulfill your cuckquean kink. Far, Far better ways.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Feldegast42 posted:

Picard is a Frenchman :smuggo:

He sure is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV10in63_Ok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fivemarks posted:

Keiko, there are better ways to either have a threesome or fulfill your cuckquean kink. Far, Far better ways.

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense if Keiko was angling for that, but didn't realise Miles already has a boyfriend

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The comment that this is what he sounds like after heavy drinking and his original accent comes out is now something I'll never unthink.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense if Keiko was angling for that, but didn't realise Miles already has a boyfriend

Or she hated Bashir and wanted Kira instead, in which case, hard to blame her really.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Keiko was clearly trying for a three-way polyamorous scenario but Miles and Nerys were either not into that or not aware it was an option. I don't know how progressive Bajoran teachings on correct relationship arrangements are

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The Prophets are probably ok as long as they can watch.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
“You know, Miles, now that we are being open and honest with one another about our needs there is something I’ve always fantasized about… I want to gently caress a terrorist.”

“Of course, whatever… whatever makes you happy :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure the entire cast have been terrorists at some point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the entire cast have been terrorists at some point.

I think you mean "freedom fighters." This is the federation, how could they possibly do a terrorism?

That's what Garak is for :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Volmarias posted:

The Prophets are probably ok as long as they can watch.

I mean, they don't see the difference between foreplay and a post-coital cigarette.