Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/AngelaInKy502/status/1408004439462629376
https://twitter.com/tonypascarella/status/1407990615904866305
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1408004544638984192

Seems bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Jesus. Random collapse out of nowhere? No warning for the residents?

Something tells me the death toll from this is going to be ugly. :smith:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Faaaark, what's the bet this is directly because of crap building regulations?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I knew I shouldn't have removed that last Jenga block.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Faaaark, what's the bet this is directly because of crap building regulations?

That + ground subsidence is a good bet

Turns out, wet sand isn't great to build on

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i think this happened at like 2 AM or so too? on a weekday. basically it probably caused as much human damage as it potentially could have, or near it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
wtf, how does something like this happen in a rich part of a rich country

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hammerite posted:

earth is reclaiming Miami; no matter how rich or talented or built to the best code possible , Miami is sinking back into the ocean.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hammerite posted:

You dont get rich spending money on building codes and maintenance.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Prob just a publicity stunt for Midway's newest game in the Rampage series

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Watch Bush start a war.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Could this have something to do with rising sea levels?
I'm still hoping to watch the US public turn, en mass on all the industrialists who spent the last decades lying about climate change.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There's loving empty bunk beds on the top floor in one picture...drat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kind of impressive a kid's already been found.

By popular demand posted:

Could this have something to do with rising sea levels?
I'm still hoping to watch the US public turn, en mass on all the industrialists who spent the last decades lying about climate change.

Building in FL is generally not great to begin with because of all the sand and the lovely building code adherence, but yeah, it could be anything. Rising sea levels? Sure.

And they never will.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Building was built in 1981 I guess? Doesn't seem like a construction issue.

Is this tweet accurate? I thought like the side just ripped off but it looks like a whole loving building is gone. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1408026684071235584

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Who knew that building on sand is a bad idea. Not like it’s written in the bible or anything

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

First death reported, going to be a horrible amount of people missing, then confirmed dead. In the middle of the night, I can't loving imagine.

https://twitter.com/BrianaFernNews/status/1408026947599454208

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That + ground subsidence is a good bet

Turns out, wet sand isn't great to build on

Yeah this is my initial guess as well

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Grem posted:

Building was built in 1981 I guess? Doesn't seem like a construction issue.

Is this tweet accurate? I thought like the side just ripped off but it looks like a whole loving building is gone. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1408026684071235584

Its accurate. About half the building is gone.

If the building was relatively full occupancy there are going to be a lot of funerals.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

low key sex master posted:

Yeah this is my initial guess as well

Gonna have to wait to hear if tenants kept reporting crazier and crazier cracks in the basement floors/walls for the last year or so to no avail.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just looking at that uncollapsed section and thinking about that weird, harrowing Twilight Zone feeling of being a "lucky" one.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Hammerite posted:

the amount of new apartment complexes I see here in Florida made almost entirely of wood is ridiculous. Everyone builds cheap because like this hell state would have regulations on anything. Also these wood apartments cost like 100,000 plus lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Florida state gov will just pass a law making it illegal for buildings to collapse.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Desperate Character posted:

the amount of new apartment complexes I see here in Florida made almost entirely of wood is ridiculous. Everyone builds cheap because like this hell state would have regulations on anything. Also these wood apartments cost like 100,000 plus lol

I mean, we're seeing a case where reinforced concrete had a massive failure. At least wooded structures are easier to repair and maintain.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

It’s about to start pouring down here, and since Miami Beach already has a flooding problem… its not gonna be a good situation for searching for survivors.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Florida state gov will just pass a law making it illegal for buildings to collapse. relatives to sue landlords if their building collapses. Also the landlord now gets your life insurance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Someone put Sonny and Rico on the case to figure out who did this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Perhaps civil lawbreaking should be punished with a hefty prison term rather than a 50:50 chance that the victim can claim some money from you?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, we're seeing a case where reinforced concrete had a massive failure. At least wooded structures are easier to repair and maintain.

except for the whole thing where Florida gets hit routinely by hurricanes; if something stronger than a cat 3 ever hit St Pete and Tampa the devastation would be insanity. Hell, the streets here flood on one day of heavy rain. I suppose we'll see in the next few days if this building was up to code or not.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Strategic Tea posted:

Perhaps civil lawbreaking should be punished with a hefty prison term rather than a 50:50 chance that the victim can claim some money from you?

At first glance that sounds reasonable. Then you have to sit back and realize that means you'd be giving Disney and the MPAA the power to get people put in jail for things like copyright infringement (not to mention a lot of other corporate interests who might be making civil cases against people for other reasons).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Why don't people live in large bouncy castles so tragedies like this can't happen? It just doesn't make sense.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

except for the whole thing where Florida gets hit routinely by hurricanes; if something stronger than a cat 3 ever hit St Pete and Tampa the devastation would be insanity. Hell, the streets here flood on one day of heavy rain. I suppose we'll see in the next few days if this building was up to code or not.

as far as I'm aware, the chances of something like a cat 3+ hitting st pete/tampa is pretty low, right? Or it was when most of it was built?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Glad to see my former home country is still a third world shithole

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Raged posted:

Glad to see my former home country is still a third world shithole

weird thing to get glad by

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

man has always loved his buildlings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL39q9cl5T0

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wow, dick move, building

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

LanceHunter posted:

Adding to why this is a horrible idea in Florida: termites. Termites here are bad. I used to work in pest control and learned that a termite swarm exists roughly every 1.5 miles in this state. A nearby condo just got shut down because they dragged their asses about termite control until an entire wing became dangerously uninhabitable.

Seriously, do NOT own in Florida and if you do, DO NOT OWN A WOODEN STRUCTURE HOLY poo poo

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

as far as I'm aware, the chances of something like a cat 3+ hitting st pete/tampa is pretty low, right? Or it was when most of it was built?

Tampa Bay has been extremely lucky with not being hit by any major hurricane but with climate change it will happen eventually and oh boy will it be terrible

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Make everything out of stone on the bottom and recycled plastic on top bong bing so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ground floor.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 4, 2021