Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Colonel Cancer posted:

Well my dad's gonna call your dad and cuss him out :smuggo:

My dad will screen your dad's call and he'll never even get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Blooster posted:

Which 70% of the time are legit calls, they're simply from 800 numbers or something. iphone marks calls from Amazon, Lenovo, your local electric utility company, etc as "scam likely".

Meanwhile on Android when you get a call from an unknown number or a number not in your contact list, you get a nice little "screen call" button. When you click it, a prompt tells the caller that the call is being screened and to state their purpose for the call, which then shows up on your phone as a text transcript while you are waiting to decide if you want to take the call or not.

On the other hand the iphone is .008 mm thinner than it was last year!!!! (excluding the camera bumps)

Lol my iPhone does this. It’s called voicemail and has been around since the dinosaurs. iPhone even turns it into a text I can read.

Android users really lighting up the thread thinking they are galaxy brains because of the phone they buy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
whaaaaandroid more like. fuckin cry babies

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

do y'all play any sweet games on your expensive phones? show me some screenshots with the best graphics

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

hawowanlawow posted:

do y'all play any sweet games on your expensive phones? show me some screenshots with the best graphics

Your phone would likely explode trying to render the screenshot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a not expensive phone that allows me to shitpost, look at dumb videos and make calls and poo poo. It's pretty sweet. It's an Android phone. Google something or other. I legit don't remember the model haha.

Why are phones such a hard topic for y'all?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

hawowanlawow posted:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

Lol my iPhone does this. It’s called voicemail and has been around since the dinosaurs. iPhone even turns it into a text I can read.

Android users really lighting up the thread thinking they are galaxy brains because of the phone they buy

worst take ever and shows that you have never used call screening lol you dum dum. Voice mail is in no way comparable and you might be shocked to know that it comes with android too.

I was considering switching to iphone because of the privacy issues with android and then i pulled my head out of my rear end and asked if the shitlord that tried to cure cancer with fruit juice could really be trusted with anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm on google Fi as the carrier, but I thought the phone screening was a unique part of that service unless we were just beta testing it for everyone else?

It's a life saver now that scammers are spoofing local numbers to tell me that my "car insurance is about out i better give them my info asap!"

[edit] pixel 3 and had it for years, it's fine even if it's not the fastest or newest. I never bought into this new phone every year for the price of a loving computer horseshit. That is for children.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 24, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am pivoting to now wanting to party with 20 Po'Boy goon. Never had a Po'Boy but if there's 20 it's gotta be good right?

Also I think Android's real lack of appeal is they need an insane yet charismatic leader, a la Jobs. Like, they don't need to know anything really, just be in the public eye and act like they know exactly what people want.

Who heads Android? Who gives a poo poo? Some nerd behind a computer. They need a turtle neck wearing motherfucker giving orders and getting up on stage and being all "You remember styluses? And restistive screens? The sucked right? WRONG LOSERS, GOOGLE IS HERE TO SHOW YOU THE WAY TO TECH NRIVANA. PIXEL STICKS. Get on board, choo choo."

Then Android will be taken as seriously as it should.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

mama mia thats a lot of sonic!

glad you didn't forget to include salt.

what is the mayo for?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

This isn't the breakfast for dinner thread, friend.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Im just curious on what the total for that ends up being

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a not expensive phone that allows me to shitpost, look at dumb videos and make calls and poo poo. It's pretty sweet. It's an Android phone. Google something or other. I legit don't remember the model haha.

Why are phones such a hard topic for y'all?

People like to feel superior to other people and will cling to the flimsiest signifier of that. I would send an emoji but you probably wouldn't see it

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Blooster posted:

only an apple user would think clicking a button that says "screen call" would be convoluted. Is this why Apple doesn't let you place icons on the home screen where you want? That too overwhelming for babby's first phone? :lol:

also by answering a phone call to a telemarketer, your number gets flagged with the "idiot who answers telemarketing calls" flag and you can expect 10x more telemarketing calls in your future.

Hey, I nearly got married this way.

I'm thinking of becoming a phone hipster and installing another linux distro. I guess I'm already a bit if a phone hipster because I use a tablet. I don't feel the need to put my phone in my pocket.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Wendigee posted:

worst take ever and shows that you have never used call screening lol you dum dum. Voice mail is in no way comparable and you might be shocked to know that it comes with android too.

I was considering switching to iphone because of the privacy issues with android and then i pulled my head out of my rear end and asked if the shitlord that tried to cure cancer with fruit juice could really be trusted with anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm on google Fi as the carrier, but I thought the phone screening was a unique part of that service unless we were just beta testing it for everyone else?

It's a life saver now that scammers are spoofing local numbers to tell me that my "car insurance is about out i better give them my info asap!"

[edit] pixel 3 and had it for years, it's fine even if it's not the fastest or newest. I never bought into this new phone every year for the price of a loving computer horseshit. That is for children.

Lol I understand android has voicemail. How is your call screening any better than it?

Edit: this is all moot since apparently android users all still talk on the phone. I pretty much send anyone calling me straight to voicemail and text them back. The audacity thinking my time is as worthless as theirs

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 24, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Lolling at the idea of people hitting “screen call” and then waiting with baited breath for the computer to text them back to see if it’s someone they want to accept a call from. Desperate for human interaction, but not wanting to talk to just anyone. Just waiting for the one amazon delivery driver that doesn’t know how to text you he can’t find your place.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

Lolling at the idea of people hitting “screen call” and then waiting with baited breath for the computer to text them back to see if it’s someone they want to accept a call from. Desperate for human interaction, but not wanting to talk to just anyone. Just waiting for the one amazon delivery driver that doesn’t know how to text you he can’t find your place.

you are very smart

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Thank you

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Still haven’t explained how screening calls is so great when it does basically the same thing as voicemail.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

thathonkey posted:

what do yall mean by call screening. my iphone classifies like 90% of incoming calls as spam risk and it has never been wrong

Also this is actually true. So maybe iPhone users just don’t need call screening which is why I might think it’s ridiculous

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My iphone flags like 10% of my spam calls. Android was far better at it, even aside from the call screening robot.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

how dare you deny us a quadruple weird post

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

iPhone was really good at suckin my balls and eating rear end, but Android really worked the shaft and tickled my peehole.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the android cope continues

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Dear Watson posted:

The audacity thinking my time is as worthless as theirs

Haha

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

thathonkey posted:

the android cope continues

Android knows how to milk my prostate like no other. But apple knows how to milk my heart. Do I cope with lack of prostate milkings, or lack of love??

A man can die from losing either.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Dear Watson posted:

I didn't know you could answer the phone and take the call after they left the voice mail and hung up. That's pretty cool

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I wish Windows Phone was still around :(

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
windows phone was so good and so popular they had to stop making them altogether

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I for one am interested in learning more about the heart milk

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

The audacity thinking my time is as worthless as theirs

lmfao

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Wendigee posted:

what is the mayo for?

lubricant mainly

e:

vyst posted:

Im just curious on what the total for that ends up being

I couldn't get a total on the app without going through a bunch of poo poo so I went to the desktop version:

vaginite fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 24, 2021

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I for one am interested in learning more about the heart milk

It's proprietary

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im the guy still concerned about proprietary technology in 2021. we can turn this ship around if we just care enough !!!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i get the cheap iphone once every 5 years because it gets security updates for that long

thanks for reading

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

thathonkey posted:

im the guy still concerned about proprietary technology in 2021. we can turn this ship around if we just care enough !!!

Sir I'm talking about heart milk

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

vaginite fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 25, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

one of us is not understanding. Are you saying that iPhone voicemail lets you cut in and answer the phone while they are leaving a message? that would be disconcerting for whoever is calling I would imagine.

The way android call screening works, if its a number you have not called or received a call from before, it doesn't ring... it sends whoever is calling to the screening service.

if they say who is calling, only then am I even aware a phone call was received. I get an instant text to speech of them saying their name and the reason they are calling, then you can then send them to voicemail or answer as you please and report it as spam and block it also.

As far as talking to ppl on the phone, I'd rather text, but good luck texting for a doctor or dental appointment or even for a plumber.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I didn’t know that is how it worked. This is how android cal screening was described by a very pro android poster in this thread and it sounded loving ridiculous:

Blooster posted:

Which 70% of the time are legit calls, they're simply from 800 numbers or something. iphone marks calls from Amazon, Lenovo, your local electric utility company, etc as "scam likely".

Meanwhile on Android when you get a call from an unknown number or a number not in your contact list, you get a nice little "screen call" button. When you click it, a prompt tells the caller that the call is being screened and to state their purpose for the call, which then shows up on your phone as a text transcript while you are waiting to decide if you want to take the call or not.

The way you describe it made me throw my iPhone onto the ground and smash it into a billion pieces and I had to finish this post with my Fitbit. Legit jealous if it really works that way and sounds awesome