Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

why is everyone being so aggro about the boxing show
This isn't a 4chan thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what does that mean

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

why is everyone being so aggro about the boxing show
Because this is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvH-7aZKX1o

:v:

In all truth, this seems like a pretty civil argument, all things considered? First season was fun as gently caress; given all the points presented, seems like S2 might also be a fun ride.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'll be honest, while I greatly enjoy Megalobox I don't think the writers are subtle or good enough for this to be the case

I'd strongly suggest reading this interview they did with ANN, in which they talk about their inspirations, the themes they wish to convey, and their respectful-but-critical relationship with Ashita no Joe itself. It mostly focuses on race and gender (in particular, their framing of the self-destructive boxer's spirit as a manifestation of toxic masculinity to escape from rather than a noble, valorous sacrifice), but any writing team that lists Ken loving Loach amongst their major inspirations is pretty much guaranteed to be receptive to a wee bit of anticapitalism.

They really are putting a whole lot of thought into this show.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have read that interview and I think their handling of toxic masculinity is one of the better parts of the show. I just don't agree that Sakuma is handled well!

To change the topic a little has anyone here watched Fairy Ranmaru? It seemed interesting but I haven't heard much about it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GorfZaplen posted:

But I'm not going to call what I see as boring writing fridge brilliance... I'm not going to pretend this show is woke
Yeah, it's really framing the conversation using terms like these that makes your writing come off badly.

Like I don't think anyone is praising it for being woke, or what that would even mean in the context of the show so it seems like you're reaching pretty hard outside of "character written bad".

Which, ok. I mean, myself and others have talked about ways the writing appeals to them, even with the aforementioned cardboard cutouts you have problems with.

Personally speaking, I was really interested in the worldbuilding they did with the refugee groups. They're close enough to several real-world issues where the scenario is engaging. Like Mio acting out because he feels the cultural prejudice against him but lacks any way to deal with it, so he gets drawn into destructive orbits. And I think it's developed further with Mac also hailing from similar ethnic traditions and also being used by people with more power/standing/capital than he.
I think it calls back to the societal critiques of S1 and casts them in a new way, with hints of Climate Crisis and Racist bias. The writers really make it explicit that Joe's victory in Megalonia was a huge moment for this refugee group, and the ideal that Joe represents comes way short of the actual man.

Maybe they'll flub the landing, but I give it a lot of credit for going in a direction that wasn't just Man Punches Harder for S2.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

what does that mean

it would pwn if we had a custom stylesheet that just made all of adtrw Yotsuba B

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

To change the topic a little has anyone here watched Fairy Ranmaru? It seemed interesting but I haven't heard much about it

i will return with a post about fairy ranmaru

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, it's really framing the conversation using terms like these that makes your writing come off badly.

Like I don't think anyone is praising it for being woke, or what that would even mean in the context of the show so it seems like you're reaching pretty hard outside of "character written bad".

Which, ok. I mean, myself and others have talked about ways the writing appeals to them, even with the aforementioned cardboard cutouts you have problems with.

Personally speaking, I was really interested in the worldbuilding they did with the refugee groups. They're close enough to several real-world issues where the scenario is engaging. Like Mio acting out because he feels the cultural prejudice against him but lacks any way to deal with it, so he gets drawn into destructive orbits. And I think it's developed further with Mac also hailing from similar ethnic traditions and also being used by people with more power/standing/capital than he.
I think it calls back to the societal critiques of S1 and casts them in a new way, with hints of Climate Crisis and Racist bias. The writers really make it explicit that Joe's victory in Megalonia was a huge moment for this refugee group, and the ideal that Joe represents comes way short of the actual man.

Maybe they'll flub the landing, but I give it a lot of credit for going in a direction that wasn't just Man Punches Harder for S2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Copyrighted Material

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you can't just copy and paste that dude i bought the nft

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this image having 'copyrighted material' on it is better commentary on capitalism than megalobox

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
From start to finish, "Super Cub" has been delightfully sublime. Watching Komuga go from a lonely, isolated life to one with friends, family (borrowed), and a larger, brighter world came just at a time when I needed it. I hope everyone involved gets to go on to make many more wonderful stories. Safe to say this one will be one of my favorites of this year, and probably all time.

Still not going to buy one, though. The drivers around here are KA-RAY-ZEE and I'd just be a target.:killdozer:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I have read that interview and I think their handling of toxic masculinity is one of the better parts of the show. I just don't agree that Sakuma is handled well!

I just feel it's both unwise and ungenerous to assume that it's 'bad writing' rather than simply a deliberate, carefully-built artistic endeavour that you personally cannot easily relate to or invest in, especially given how rock-solid the thematic consistency has been so far.

In particular, I feel like the show's blending of the personal and the political means that it doesn't draw a firm distinction between its criticism of toxic masculinity and capitalism - they're joined at the hip throughout. Remember Shirato's all-male board laying into her because she's suddenly not keen on Number Going Up? Sakuma represents the inevitable, awful final evolution of both - a billionaire (because of course he's a billionaire) dudebro (because of course he's a bro) who lives only for heroism without morality and progress without direction. He doesn't even act out of malice or cruelty, because those would require a connection with and acknowledgement of another human being that he's completely incapable of. He just wants to be the greatest dude with the greatest swag, and every waking hour of his life is spent anticipating his next victory and how he'll choose to celebrate it. If Mac in Mac Time is an unthinkingly destructive boxing machine, Sakuma is a techbro machine, because that's what the system rewards.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Space Flower posted:

it would pwn if we had a custom stylesheet that just made all of adtrw Yotsuba B

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
awww yeah thats the poo poo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

here you go if you want to do something with it
shame on jeff for using important in a ton of places!!!

CSS code:
#thread table.post tr.seen1 td{
    background-color:#eef2ff !important;
    color: black!important;
}
#thread table.post tr td{
    background-color:#eef2ff !important;
    color: black!important;
}
#thread .bbc-block, #thread  .bbc-block {
    background-color: #d6daf0!important;
    border: 1px solid #b7c5d9!important;

border-left: none!important;
    border-top: none!important;

border-radius: 0;
}
#thread .bbc-block blockquote, #thread .bbc-block blockquote {
    color: #789922!important;

}
.bbc-block blockquote:before {
    content:'>';
    margin-right: -3px;
}
.quote_link {
    color: #d00!important;
}
.quote_link:before {
    content:'>>';
}

#thread tr.seen1 ul.postbuttons,
#thread tr.seen2 ul.postbuttons {
    background-color: transparent!important;
}
dt.author.platinum {
    color: #117743!important;
}

#thread table.post {
    border-color: transparent!important;
}

marumaru fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 23, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Haha nice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:stoked:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Full Dive finally over and while it was never a great show I have to say that the final bit where Hiro gets taken out because the Queen came behind him and hit him behind the knees was hilarious and I did not see it coming. When that happened I was like “oh yeah, I guess she was there the entire time. She wouldn’t just let the guy lose.

I honestly didn’t mind the show. I don’t think I’d ever buy it, but I’ll watch a season 2 if they ever did one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oh god. Turn dark mode on!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it reveals all of the lovely white spots in transparent avs you can make lazily for the default css, in other words my av

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I just feel it's both unwise and ungenerous to assume that it's 'bad writing' rather than simply a deliberate, carefully-built artistic endeavour that you personally cannot easily relate to or invest in, especially given how rock-solid the thematic consistency has been so far.

In particular, I feel like the show's blending of the personal and the political means that it doesn't draw a firm distinction between its criticism of toxic masculinity and capitalism - they're joined at the hip throughout. Remember Shirato's all-male board laying into her because she's suddenly not keen on Number Going Up? Sakuma represents the inevitable, awful final evolution of both - a billionaire (because of course he's a billionaire) dudebro (because of course he's a bro) who lives only for heroism without morality and progress without direction. He doesn't even act out of malice or cruelty, because those would require a connection with and acknowledgement of another human being that he's completely incapable of. He just wants to be the greatest dude with the greatest swag, and every waking hour of his life is spent anticipating his next victory and how he'll choose to celebrate it. If Mac in Mac Time is an unthinkingly destructive boxing machine, Sakuma is a techbro machine, because that's what the system rewards.

Eh, I don't think it's ungenerous. One only has to look as far as Megalobox season 1 to set expectations, and to be honest this season is about on par with that. That is a show that pulled together thematically in the end, but only kind of, and in many ways only in relation to its original work. And I'm one of it's most ardent defenders! That this season started so strong and has comfortably slid into the previous season's vibe is probably what is contributing to people's annoyance. Maybe it will be a masterful intersection of character and theme like you suggest. But I'm not holding my breath.

I will say that debating this with you has reinvigorated my interest in actually finishing the show. I was ready to drop it but thinking more clearly about it's weaknesses compared to what it is doing well has convinced me to see it through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god, uramichi oniisan is getting an anime?! That's going to be a hell of a show probably, in more ways than one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super Cub was an amazing series from start to finish. Want to see more including Koguma and Reiko moving in together

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Speaking of Reiko, I haven't watched the last episode yet but do we ever see her parents? Or learn what their deal is?

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Kwyndig posted:

Speaking of Reiko, I haven't watched the last episode yet but do we ever see her parents? Or learn what their deal is?

Via the Wiki: "Her father is a member of the Diet, her mother is president of a company, and they both live in Tokyo."

High schoolers living by themselves is not uncommon in Japan, where you don't always go to the school closest to your home. Reiko, unlike Koguma, is likely getting a substantial "allowance" from her parents.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeanGaffney posted:

Via the Wiki: "Her father is a member of the Diet, her mother is president of a company, and they both live in Tokyo."

High schoolers living by themselves is not uncommon in Japan, where you don't always go to the school closest to your home. Reiko, unlike Koguma, is likely getting a substantial "allowance" from her parents.

That's pretty heavily inferred. I think she said she bought or had built the place she's living in in the episode focusing on her summer didn't she?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What shows are people looking forward to for the next season?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Space Flower posted:

it reveals all of the lovely white spots in transparent avs you can make lazily for the default css, in other words my av

you can make it a lot better by putting a black inner stroke in it on photoshop

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sonny Boy, Vanitas, Maidragon s2

fairly confident those are gonna be the highlights

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am looking forward to more bakarina.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm curious to see the continuation of that new Higurashi anime, as someone whose only exposure to the franchise was that recent new anime I enjoyed parts of it well enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

like 75% of maid dragon, the other 25% can gently caress off(lucoa and iruru). it really sucks that you have these two great relationship stories going on with tohru/kobayashi and kanna's, and fafnir/takiya's, with elma hanging around occasionally, but because lucoa and iruru exist it drags down the rest of the series incredibly hard. lucoa could be a perfectly fine character, her mischievous nature could be great as the prankster of the series, but everything with her and shouta is just the worst. and iruru...no.

uramichi oniisan is really dark and funny so I am really eager to see if they pull off the anime adaptation. it's an extremely pessimistic portrayal of children's show production, and the main character is just unhappy as hell, should make for a lot of good clips.

I guess slime, though I haven't watched since the first season and the second season had a little self-defense genocide as a treat

tsukimichi: moonlit fantasy is one of the better isekai I've read with a fairly interesting premise(an unwanted human gets pulled into a hero summoning, the goddess thinks he's ugly and discards him in the wastelands, he begins building a society of the "undesired" like beastfolk, dwarves, elves in another dimension that for some reason he can access, etc). there's no way they'll get to the more overarching storyline stuff in even 3 potential seasons so it'll focus mostly on the comparatively mundane initial few arcs, but makoto's groundbreaking of the otherworld and tomoe and mio's antics should be fun if they pace it well. if it includes whatever side stories that follow the summoned heroes it'll be a loving disaster though because one's a goody two-shoes perfect hero lady and the other is the worst kind of weeb who becomes your typical "slave harem" Nice Guy heterochromia isekai protagonist with his goddess-granted brainwash ability. If it restricts their appearances to only when Makoto interacts with them I think it'll be a pretty decent adaptation. we mayyyyyy get to see the battle for the fortress which would be a pretty nice climax to a first season.

there was one or two others I was interested in but aside from that, the season looks pretty dull from what trailers I saw

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aquatope of White Sand looks like it could be good, Bakarina S2 is more Bakarina, I might check out Sonny Boy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hunt11 posted:

I am looking forward to more bakarina.
poo poo, we're getting more bakarina? :dance:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

poo poo, we're getting more bakarina? :dance:

The first episode comes out on July 3rd.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The Duke of Death manga is cute and good, I hope the anime is as well.

Also Maidragon, Jahy, Sonny Boy, Kanojo mo Kanaojo.
Cheat Kusushi looks like generic isekai trash, so I'll probably watch it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Duke of Death is a good romcom, but I'm wary of the anime because it's all 3DCG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not quite as bad as rwby but boy is it not great looking 3dcg