Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The movement in 4 and the networking doesn't feel quite as good as what 1 has but the maps are rarely disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know I’m weird in this opinion but I actually very much prefer BF4’s more cumbersome (though that’s only compared to BF1/5) movement and more ambiguous approach to recoil and reticule bloom even when ADS. I don’t hate BF1 and 5 at all but I feel that when every weapon isn’t a pinpoint sniper and not every bullet goes to exactly where you’re aiming (when you’re firing in full auto from longer ranges) it adds excitement somehow? Like I might actually be able to cross an opening without immediately getting mown down or maybe I’m on the shooting side of that and don’t quite kill someone and now I have to deal with that.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I kinda miss the launch BF4 movement where you didn't go from a dead stop to full sprint immediately but instead when you started sprinting you'd actually accelerate up to max speed over a second or two. It was eventually patched out because it didn't play very well with the netcode (servers were like 10 tic or something ridiculous at launch) but I thought it gave the game a unique feel.

jisforjosh posted:

Hopping back into a Littlebird was like riding a bike and went on a decently long streak once I got my loadout situated (thanks Battlelog for not updating my ingame poo poo) but the BF4 gunplay/handling has definitely aged poorly
I just use the test range if I need to adjust my loadout before entering a server.

Kibayasu posted:

I can’t kill things worth a poo poo in the scout chopper but I can at least fly the thing competently and be an annoying bastard with LGMs and the 25mm cannon. Occasionally I even steal a kill from a tank that was shooting an enemy tank already.
I can't hit poo poo with aircraft guns* in general, and I can't imagine how much practice it would take to consistently be able to strafe people, especially in the jets. I can generally hold my own in a dogfight though so it's always super funny when someone is sky-goding and I finally manage to snag a Stealth Fighter and we sort of just take each other out of the game for the entire rest of the map, forever padlocked in a perpetual dogfight.

*Rockets and JDAMs are fine though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone will probably hate me for saying this, but I wish battlefield would introduce a more pronounced thwap thwap thwap sound effect when you are landing hits, with a satisfying pop at the kill shot, that almost all shooters have seemed to have embraced. I think BF5 had a little sound when you got a kill, but BF just feels like it's lacking tactile feedback after I have gotten so used to those sound effects over the years. The little numbers on the screen just don't do it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chronojam posted:

The movement in 4 and the networking doesn't feel quite as good as what 1 has but the maps are rarely disappointing.

Paracel Storm loving sucks though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Someone will probably hate me for saying this, but I wish battlefield would introduce a more pronounced thwap thwap thwap sound effect when you are landing hits, with a satisfying pop at the kill shot, that almost all shooters have seemed to have embraced. I think BF5 had a little sound when you got a kill, but BF just feels like it's lacking tactile feedback after I have gotten so used to those sound effects over the years. The little numbers on the screen just don't do it.

BFV already does this???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fart Car '97 posted:

BFV already does this???

they said battlefield not battlefailed

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
If you're not using BF4 littlebird with default guns as an anti-air platform, you're doing it wrong. Thing shreds.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If you're not using BF4 littlebird with default guns as an anti-air platform, you're doing it wrong. Thing shreds.

Yeah the 25mm cannons are a trap. The miniguns are the way to go and just practice being good with aiming at infantry and you'll end up with massive streaks. If you take the 25mm cannon, sure you can hurt infantry more due to splash damage but you're absolutely boned if you come across another Littlebird that's running the default guns

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

BFV already does this???

Yeah, I acknowledged that. I just don't think it has as much punch as most games. Especially after playing a bunch of shooters where it's more pronounced.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I haven't played warzone in like a year, but doesn't warzone also have a volume slider specifically for hit markers? I hope battlefield 2042 does that simply for accessibility reasons.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

On one hand, id say that of all the shooters, battlefield has always been leaps and bounds ahead in terms of sound design and the last thing they should do is add more gimmicky sound effects. On the other hand tho, BF1's headshot sound does certain things to me id rather not elaborate on so who knows

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the best headshot sound was COD: World at War.

a little plink followed by a visceral skull cracking sound.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Remember: Tanks have the weakest armour on the bottom
https://i.imgur.com/VHEFdUH.gifv

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Laserface posted:

the best headshot sound was COD: World at War.

a little plink followed by a visceral skull cracking sound.

BF1's headshot ding is instant serotonin

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I want ringtones or message indicators that are just various fps hit indicator sounds, lately I really enjoy the warzone ones, fup fup fup fup

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kazinsal posted:

Paracel Storm loving sucks though.

Ya but it has a big shark in it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Paracel Storm is fun until a sky god ruins everything. It’s a proto Naval Strike map just with the small chance of getting an MAA.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

BF1's headshot ding is instant serotonin

MW2019/warzone is straight up a poker machine win sound. its hilarious.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Insert name here posted:

Remember: Tanks have the weakest armour on the bottom
https://i.imgur.com/VHEFdUH.gifv

I *love* this kind of C4 attack, where you keep the vehicle alive by having a partner stay on to take advantage of the FF rules. The height of teamwork on the fly.

e oh paracel storm is the big island hurricane one? That one rules, great map for scouts with motion detector and carbines

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Paracel Storm owns

Why yes I'm in the boat or jet how'd you know

Kibayasu posted:

I know I’m weird in this opinion but I actually very much prefer BF4’s more cumbersome (though that’s only compared to BF1/5) movement and more ambiguous approach to recoil and reticule bloom even when ADS. I don’t hate BF1 and 5 at all but I feel that when every weapon isn’t a pinpoint sniper and not every bullet goes to exactly where you’re aiming (when you’re firing in full auto from longer ranges) it adds excitement somehow? Like I might actually be able to cross an opening without immediately getting mown down or maybe I’m on the shooting side of that and don’t quite kill someone and now I have to deal with that.
Nah I get this. There's a super notable lack of lethality past a certain range due to bullet travel time, damage drop-off, and fairly large accuracy spreads that pretty much makes it so only Sniper Rifles and bipod MGs can really effectively kill you if you're not just standing in the open like an idiot. In a way I think it's a very overlooked part of the "Battlefield" feel of sprinting across a stretch of ground as rounds zip by you and you know there's a very real possibility that you'll actually make it to the cover at the other end, as opposed to games where the high accuracy on the guns means that you're guaranteed dead unless the other guy really potatoes it.

Laserface posted:

MW2019/warzone is straight up a poker machine win sound. its hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbTwAbyjpv8

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Been playing some BF4 again since the server numbers jump and while it's still great and the maps owns, I'd forgotten how janky the netcode was compared to BF1.

Still fun dunking on all the new players who got it from the Amazon Prime giveaway or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dunno how you all find these games so easy :v:

I played plenty of Unreal as a kid and COD as a teen but I always get my poo poo stomped in Battlefield. Nearly 60 hours in Bad Company 2 and then like 2 dozen hours across 3, 4, and 1 and I just always struggle with leading targets and constantly just getting picked off from every direction. Do you guys play on 64 man servers, or 32/48? Hardcore/no minimap or with the map? Also I can't fly for poo poo in these games.

just lol.

On a related note, I really wish I could adjust my loadout during the 10 second screen that shows who killed you, rather than having to wait until the Deploy screen to do it :argh:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

~ Nearly 60 hours in Bad Company 2 and then like 2 dozen hours across 3, 4, and 1 and

Because we're nolife losers with like 600 hours per game instead of 60

I'm also broken brained enough to probably have close to something like 10k hours in various cs games over the last decade and a half, so you learn a thing or two about fine muscle coordination and fps best practices

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I played plenty of Unreal as a kid and COD as a teen but I always get my poo poo stomped in Battlefield. Nearly 60 hours in Bad Company 2 and then like 2 dozen hours across 3, 4, and 1 and I just always struggle with leading targets and constantly just getting picked off from every direction. Do you guys play on 64 man servers, or 32/48? Hardcore/no minimap or with the map? Also I can't fly for poo poo in these games.

just lol.

On a related note, I really wish I could adjust my loadout during the 10 second screen that shows who killed you, rather than having to wait until the Deploy screen to do it :argh:

Bohemian Nights posted:

Because we're nolife losers with like 600 hours per game instead of 60

It’s this to one extent or another. Getting picked off by some guy you didn’t see happens to everyone but making it happen less often just comes down to knowing where people are likely to be or come from without actually seeing them first. That comes down to knowing the map which can be anything from “there’s always someone sniping from that building” to “Okay the enemy team just took B which puts them close to C and D and to get to either of those points they could cross this area so if I put myself here I’ll be able to cover D but I’ll need to be careful because from B they’ll also be able to take this route which would put them behind me but there are some friendlies there right now so I’ll need to keep an eye on the kill feed and map so I’ll know if they die and enemies are coming from that direction which means I’ll need to run away to…”

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yeah 60 hours and you're barely learning the maps. I think I tapped out at around 1500 hours for BF4. 3 and BC2 were both way more than that.

BF1/5 being so terrible actually did me the favor of breaking my battlefield addiction

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got almost 800 hours but my kd is only a shade over 1.1 because I always played solo and yet wanted to win so I ran around trying to cap as many flags as possible like some sort of suicidal maniac. So for every 40-4 vehicle domination round theres an even or close to it where I struggled to protect flags the whole round and still lost. I will never get over that I was active here during those years and never thought to join a goon squad.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I have 3,000 hours of DOTA 2 played but I'm still poo poo at that :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sab669 posted:

That's the time reserved to savor watching your team's medics run past.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sab669 posted:

I mean I have 3,000 hours of DOTA 2 played but I'm still poo poo at that :colbert:

Doesn't DOTA 2 have skilled matchmaking?

A bit different then spending 800 hours on the Battlefield pubbie farm.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chronojam posted:

That's the time reserved to savor watching your team's medics run past.

Honestly I'd rather that than just get revived in the exact spot I was just sniped from only to either accept the res and immediately die, or don't accept it and delay my respawn another couple seconds :v:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sab669 posted:

just lol.

as mentioned, 16 hours is nothing so dont sweat not being MVP every round or whatever. A lot of the 87-1 scores you see posted are from ppl with 500+ hours and theyre using vehicles which inflate stats big time. BF4 has a test range where you can try out every vehicle in the game by yourself and shoot at target dummies. Even with over 600 hours in BF4, I still fire it up every now and then to try out different loadouts and get a feel at how effective each vehicle is. Test range was a godsend when I taught myself how to fly the helicopters (im still terrible at them but at least I dont crash into the ground immediately)

map knowledge will get you very far so try to find a gamemode that gels with you and stick with it for a bit, since the playable areas in maps can change depending on the mode. Id recommend conquest 32/48 since the lesser amount of players makes it a bit less of a clusterfuck. Conquest is fun too since all you have to worry about is capturing points and not doing specific objectives or pushes like with rush or obliteration or whatever.

Looks like youre playing recon as well and thats probably the hardest class to do well with since snipers are pretty tough to use due to bullet travel and drop. Play how you want, but if you want an easier time id try focusing on support or engineer since their primary weapons are easy to use and they have tools to deal with vehicles that assault and recon can struggle with. Support is my personal favorite since you never have to worry about running out of ammo and you can attach c4 to atvs, jeeps, etc and ram them into enemy armor for very easy kills

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 24, 2021

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The worst thing about BF4 is they nerfed the AWS twice

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've been playing Assault and Support more recently. I like the Support LMGs but the SCAR is pretty good and having a portable medkit is nice :v:

I do generally prefer Rush to Conquest but I'll play either, depending on server availability. Not gonna wait in queue for a Normal Rush server if there's a hardcore Conquest open.

Also I don't know what's up but this game absolutely COOKS my computer (new i5 and a RTX3070 so I've got the game maxed, but literally my metal desk frame gets hot from my PC running so hard :thunk:)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

The worst thing about BF4 is they nerfed the AWS twice

i will never forgive DICE for nerfing the SRAW against little birds and making it take more than 1 hit to take one down. complete bs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea I've been playing Assault and Support more recently. I like the Support LMGs but the SCAR is pretty good and having a portable medkit is nice :v:

I do generally prefer Rush to Conquest but I'll play either, depending on server availability. Not gonna wait in queue for a Normal Rush server if there's a hardcore Conquest open.

Also I don't know what's up but this game absolutely COOKS my computer (new i5 and a RTX3070 so I've got the game maxed, but literally my metal desk frame gets hot from my PC running so hard :thunk:)

If you’re playing on hardcore servers when you’re new at the game that’s just going to make things feel even worse. I’m not going to sit here and claim that DICE is a paragon of weapon and game balance but hardcore mode deliberately throws balance out a window then collapses the building on top of it. On top of the normal stuff like losing ammo when you reload, no minimap, and no health regen you also lose 40% of the health you have in normal mode so everything and anything is killing you in 1-3 bullets unless it’s an SMG at the very edge of its damage falloff, and even then it’s probably only 5 bullets. Sniper rifles in particular become incredibly broken since they go from needing 2 body hits to kill any at range (I believe even up to 3 hits if you hit limbs with all 3 shots at long range) to kill to needing 1 hit literally anywhere on a player at any range to kill.

Speaking seriously, stop playing hardcore unless you absolutely need to grind something out and even then only play Lockers/Metro and even then it may not be faster than playing normal mode uh… normally if you’re dying too fast.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i will never forgive DICE for nerfing the SRAW against little birds and making it take more than 1 hit to take one down. complete bs

And at the same time reducing the speed to lower than a LB's top speed and giving it a turning radius like a lunar orbit.

That was the worst decision ever just to appease the whiny skylord streamers who were upset that some people learned to reliably use a hard counter vs LB kill farmers who ruined the fun for all other players.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was screwing around in an attack jet on Rogue Transmission a while ago and I was consistently getting SRAW’d by someone after I started diving to attack tanks. If that was legit I wanted to shake that person’s hand.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Kibayasu posted:

Sniper rifles in particular become incredibly broken since they go from needing 2 body hits to kill any at range (I believe even up to 3 hits if you hit limbs with all 3 shots at long range) to kill to needing 1 hit literally anywhere on a player at any range to kill.
:wrong: You can totally body someone with a sniper rifle in core because they all have 100 damage up to about 15m, so they'll die unless you hit a limb or they're running the defense spec (gives your chest the limb multiplier).

(The rest of the post is correct I'm just being needless nitpicky because I've gotten a significant about of sniper kills with iron-sight bolt-action bodyshots :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

They also removed the ability to fire rockets from the side seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_qGDdp_37A

I wish they'd stop listening to reddit carebears.