Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Wildtortilla posted:

Is the merchant the only way to remove cards?

Even some events that don’t specifically say it’s a “removal” of a card, are actually that. Like… the offering event where you offer a card for a reward. You can offer a strike or defend and it’s essentially a removal, since you get nothing in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EconDad posted:

Even some events that don’t specifically say it’s a “removal” of a card, are actually that. Like… the offering event where you offer a card for a reward. You can offer a strike or defend and it’s essentially a removal, since you get nothing in return.

The events that lets you transform a card are also pretty much as good as removals, with some potential to be a downgrade but also with massive potential upsides.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

The events that lets you transform a card are also pretty much as good as removals, with some potential to be a downgrade but also with massive potential upsides.

Especially early on, transforms are doubly powerful because just about any card is better than the trash you start with.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I feel like trash is a good description of Ironclad, but I also realize there are several cards I overlook. Like Wild Strike or Offering or any card that inflicts statuses or exhaust and it seems the best Ironclad synergies are in exhaust decks.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Transforming is so good that I only rarely find myself picking any other option from the JAXXED event. Who needs strength when I can have new cards?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Walla posted:

I feel like trash is a good description of Ironclad, but I also realize there are several cards I overlook. Like Wild Strike or Offering or any card that inflicts statuses or exhaust and it seems the best Ironclad synergies are in exhaust decks.

Wild strike, power through, and reckless charge synergize with evolve and/or fire breathing really well and dont hurt too much unless you stack them or have a tiny deck. Upgraded fire breathing is 10 damage to every enemy for each status you draw and evolve essentially negates most status effects and some curses.

If I see early powers like fire breathing/feel no pain I will grab them and look for evolve/dark embrace. They especially allow you to just dunk on the sentries in act 1.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Walla posted:

Offering is dope as gently caress. Most people underestimate the power of card draw when they're new to the game. Seeing more cards is extremely valuable. A card that draws cards AND gives energy is loving nuts. Similarly, Adrenaline is a great card for Silent.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Ironclad just seems like a really weird starting character. Sure 1 or 2 builds are pretty straightforward and his starting relic is forgiving, but a lot of his deck styles involve doing negative things to yourself for a later benefit. I guess the idea is they expect you to try it out at least once when you start so you learn to take risks?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
For anyone on iOS, it looks like the patch has been submitted to Apple

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/nwzm4h/console_updates_and_ios_news/h2ut2ra?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ironclad is imo the hardest character. Its so strange that people commonly call him strightforward compared to poison monkey and orb monkey, as mentioned above his builds can be unintuitive and divergent.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah. Strength scaling stuff is straightforward, but overall IC is the class with the most room for creativity. So many winning IC decks don't really fit into an archetype at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I do still think the Ironclad is probably the most forgiving character for a new player just on the strength of Burning Blood alone. The other three quickly overtake once you figure a few things out but I do see why Ironclad is the starter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

the holy poopacy posted:

I do still think the Ironclad is probably the most forgiving character for a new player just on the strength of Burning Blood alone. The other three quickly overtake once you figure a few things out but I do see why Ironclad is the starter.

Yeah this, plus you gotta remember that you only have like 60% of a character's cards initially and much of the complexity and creativity of IC is locked behind those

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yoshi Wins posted:

Offering is dope as gently caress. Most people underestimate the power of card draw when they're new to the game. Seeing more cards is extremely valuable. A card that draws cards AND gives energy is loving nuts. Similarly, Adrenaline is a great card for Silent.

I loving love card draw. That was probably what actually won me my run with the Watcher by having 3 or 4 Scry cards plus several discard and draw synergies. I could burn through 12 cards a turn when the stars aligned and play quite a few of them.

It's the exhaustion mechanic I have a weird hangup about. I tend not to get anything that exhausts unless I can renew it like Shivs or Smites. I'm always worried about needing them later rather than using them now.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Definitely don't pass up Impervious just because it's a single use card. Or Apparitions. Or Reaper. The cards that exhaust usually exhaust because they're a lot stronger than regular cards.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Also keep an eye out for Exhume which is an Ironclad rare that can get exhausted cards back. Bent spoon is a shop relic that gives a 50% to not exhaust (which can also gently caress you over wrt Dazes)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My favorite is immolate. Turns the hardest fights (slavers, gremlin leader, snake lady) into easy mode.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Dyz posted:

Wild strike, power through, and reckless charge synergize with evolve and/or fire breathing really well and dont hurt too much unless you stack them or have a tiny deck. Upgraded fire breathing is 10 damage to every enemy for each status you draw and evolve essentially negates most status effects and some curses.

If I see early powers like fire breathing/feel no pain I will grab them and look for evolve/dark embrace. They especially allow you to just dunk on the sentries in act 1.
Fire Breathing is my favourite Ironclad card, especially paired with Evolve. Best decks ever.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

when you're getting your act 1 boss relic on ironclad what are the energy options you don't take? I feel like he needs an extra energy incredibly badly, more so than any other hero, but not being able to see enemy intents or upgrade at a campfire or rest seems back breaking. even the +1 enemy strength is absolutely brutal

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

My favorite is immolate. Turns the hardest fights (slavers, gremlin leader, snake lady) into easy mode.

I always get a hearty chuckle when I can pull an immolate before I hit sentries.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

when you're getting your act 1 boss relic on ironclad what are the energy options you don't take? I feel like he needs an extra energy incredibly badly, more so than any other hero, but not being able to see enemy intents or upgrade at a campfire or rest seems back breaking. even the +1 enemy strength is absolutely brutal

Cursed key is often a pretty good take, with burning blood coffee dripper is usually fairly manageable, unless I rely on self damage cards for scaling. Also it depends a lot on what other relics I have. An egg or two for instance makes fusion hammer a lot more attractive.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

metachronos posted:

Also keep an eye out for Exhume which is an Ironclad rare that can get exhausted cards back. Bent spoon is a shop relic that gives a 50% to not exhaust (which can also gently caress you over wrt Dazes)

Clarification: Spoon works on cards that exhaust when that card is played. Slime would be an example of a card that Spoon could keep around against your wishes. But Dazes are unplayable, so they are not affected by Spoon.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Yoshi Wins posted:

Clarification: Spoon works on cards that exhaust when that card is played. Slime would be an example of a card that Spoon could keep around against your wishes. But Dazes are unplayable, so they are not affected by Spoon.

Ahh okay that makes more sense. I've only taken spoon a few times. Thank you for the clarification.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Philosophers stone is actually my favorite energy card to take because it has the least worse downside IMO. Yeah, running headfirst into the birds or book of stabbing can be a big pain in the rear end, but after that it's basically gravy until the heart.

The ones I refuse first act are no potions, no enemy tells, key, velvet choker, and mark of pain. Of course, this is all relative to what my deck looks like. If I already have an evolve than the mark of pain isn't a big deal, and if I have curse relics then the key is a solid pick etc.

Now let's everyone fight over mark of pain.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ironclad is the character that does the best with Snecko Eye because they have a lot of good high cost cards and sometimes struggle a bit with consistency. Its something absurd like a +20% winrate bonus on them compared to picking it on any other character (which is still usually a good choice unless you're Watcher). Cursed Key is usually free as long as you just skip any chests you aren't getting the Sapphire key from (and totally free if you aren't doing the Heart) or if you make sure to path in some card remove.

Otherwise it depends pretty heavily on your deck. Armaments/Apotheosis/Eggs can help a lot if Fusion Hammer shows up, Coffee Dripper is basically free if you get Reaper or any sustain relic and only actively a bad choice if you boss relic swapped at Neow and have no other sustain, if you have decent potions and a strong deck you can get away with the no-potion relic, if you're heavy on exhaust and running a big deck Mark of Pain isn't as bad as it could be but is still pretty bad.

I don't take Runic Dome unless my other options are like Black Blood and Runic Cube or something, but its still probably better than taking the absolute trash tier boss relics.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

DekeThornton posted:

Cursed key is often a pretty good take, with burning blood coffee dripper is usually fairly manageable, unless I rely on self damage cards for scaling. Also it depends a lot on what other relics I have. An egg or two for instance makes fusion hammer a lot more attractive.

my problem with dripper is that I don't often need to rest but when I do need to and can't, the run is pretty much over.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I will never take snecko you can't make me.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zore posted:

I don't take Runic Dome unless my other options are like Black Blood and Runic Cube or something, but its still probably better than taking the absolute trash tier boss relics.

Runic cube is dope and you should try taking it more often.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Philosophers stone is actually my favorite energy card to take because it has the least worse downside IMO. Yeah, running headfirst into the birds or book of stabbing can be a big pain in the rear end, but after that it's basically gravy until the heart.

The ones I refuse first act are no potions, no enemy tells, key, velvet choker, and mark of pain. Of course, this is all relative to what my deck looks like. If I already have an evolve than the mark of pain isn't a big deal, and if I have curse relics then the key is a solid pick etc.

Now let's everyone fight over mark of pain.
I'm not going to fight over mark of pain, I'll fight over choker and key though (which I think are generally the best two with stone). Act 1 is especially the best time to see choker.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I basically only take it on Ironclad because its just ridiculously good there, especially if you get corruption. Its actually bad on Watcher and with the Silent buffs it usually doesn't fit super well with the kind of deck you're building in Act 1 there.

Defect its usually also fine but runs into the issue in power-heavy decks that you desperately need to play your powers the first time you hit them and :xcom: 3 costing powers can really gently caress them over more than the other classes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I usually really like Snecko until that one fight where everything costs 3 and you die. Can make some amazing decks pop off if you get enough naturally 2/3+ costs cards though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The only time I enjoy taking snecko is when I end up with a meteor strike on defect. Otherwise I never really find it fun to use, even when its objectively the best option.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

No Wave posted:

I'm not going to fight over mark of pain, I'll fight over choker and key though (which I think are generally the best two with stone). Act 1 is especially the best time to see choker.

My problems with choker is that it hamstrings some of the best cards that LC has: offering, corruption, even battle trance gets significantly worse when you hard cap actions. In fact, the entire exhaust suite that everyone loves so much kind of eats poo poo to choker especially corruption/dark pact which is absurdly powerful.

Key is just too many curses. Its a much better pick act 2 imo when you are guaranteed only 1 more chest. And passing on chests hurts my soul.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 24, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

The only time I enjoy taking snecko is when I end up with a meteor strike on defect. Otherwise I never really find it fun to use, even when its objectively the best option.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's really fun on Ironclad. You get to play a lotta cards. If you have Corruption you get to play a lotta lotta lotta cards.

Zore posted:

I basically only take it on Ironclad because its just ridiculously good there, especially if you get corruption. Its actually bad on Watcher and with the Silent buffs it usually doesn't fit super well with the kind of deck you're building in Act 1 there.

Yeah, for Silent it's good in poison decks that rely on cards like Bouncing Flask and Corpse Explosion, but it's not very good with shiv decks. I don't believe there's a single card with the word "shiv" on it that costs more than 1 energy.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My problems with choker is that it hamstrings some of the best cards that LC has: offering, corruption, even battle trance gets significantly worse when you hard cap actions. In fact, the entire exhaust suite that everyone loves so much kind of eats poo poo to choker especially corruption/dark pact which is absurdly powerful.

Key is just too many curses. Its a much better pick act 2 imo when you are guaranteed only 1 more chest. And passing on chests hurts my soul.

You can build plenty of great ironclad decks that play 6 cards or fewer each turn. It makes offering and battle trance less useful, but I'd still take one in my deck. It just means you won't be going for dropkick infinites and I would skip corruption.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DekeThornton posted:

weirdly, it turns out that when you take a game about deckbuilding and completely remove one of the dimensions of deckbuilding it's not as interesting anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The way to think about it is "Would I rather have the Boot and Juzu Beads in the future, or would I rather have one energy per turn with no downside now."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

metachronos posted:

Also keep an eye out for Exhume which is an Ironclad rare that can get exhausted cards back.

Before you get any funny ideas: Exhume cannot itself be Exhumed. So you can't go infinite with two Exhumes and a Corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Walla posted:

I loving love card draw. That was probably what actually won me my run with the Watcher by having 3 or 4 Scry cards plus several discard and draw synergies. I could burn through 12 cards a turn when the stars aligned and play quite a few of them.

It's the exhaustion mechanic I have a weird hangup about. I tend not to get anything that exhausts unless I can renew it like Shivs or Smites. I'm always worried about needing them later rather than using them now.

You are genuinely crippling yourself on Ironclad by doing this. My last win on Ironclad had 11 out of 30 cards with Exhaust somewhere on them, whether they exhausted themselves, exhausted other cards or benefited from cards being exhausted. And by the end of the game, most of the rest of the cards either existed to support those exhausting cards, or were actual trash that I was actively getting rid of by exhausting them so I never drew them again.

Think of exhaust like this. If you play an Impervious and it exhausts, you only get to play it one time each fight. If you skip it, you get to play it zero times each fight. Over the course of only 10 fights, that's 300 Block you missed out on. Take cards that exhaust, play them when they are useful, and you'll win a lot more runs.