Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Perestroika posted:

Poleax can hit several people in one swing, and has a rather good thrust. Both of which are pretty useful in larger group fights.

I'll give it another go but it was waaaay too slow for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Man I just cannot make knight click for me. I think I've been poisoned by vanguard and footman classes who get much faster movement, longer weapons, and generally hit a bit harder. Maybe I just need to get a few more weapons available.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Ravenfood posted:

Man I just cannot make knight click for me. I think I've been poisoned by vanguard and footman classes who get much faster movement, longer weapons, and generally hit a bit harder. Maybe I just need to get a few more weapons available.

What I like about this game is not having to force something to click. I like knight and footman. I'm OKAY at Vanguard and terrible with arching. There are sub-classes I don't care about. The last subclass for knight is whatever compared to Officer and Guardian. For footman the first two sub classes are pretty sweet, and I haven't gotten the third unlocked.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ben Quebec posted:

I'll give it another go but it was waaaay too slow for me.

I had a couple pretty good rounds with it earlier. It basically feels like an anti-armor version of the longsword. Similar reach and base damage, but trades in some speed for the damage bonus against Footmen/Knights. You'll want to rely mostly on the stab, and break out the swings when you're outnumbered.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Ben Quebec posted:

What I like about this game is not having to force something to click. I like knight and footman. I'm OKAY at Vanguard and terrible with arching. There are sub-classes I don't care about. The last subclass for knight is whatever compared to Officer and Guardian. For footman the first two sub classes are pretty sweet, and I haven't gotten the third unlocked.

Get the third class unlocked. The shovel is an amazing weapon.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

shovel is top tier, not even joking. It's so fast, the charged overhead accelerated by looking down comes out drat near instantly.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

A lot of the Chiv2 weapons are strong for kind of cheesy reasons

...the shovel is just legitimately strong

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

People have been getting better though. If you’re fighting a shovel user just keep your range…

I was having trouble with one particular glaive user. The spam was unreal. I thought he was slashing through his teammates too, which may very well have been the case.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah the general skill level of the playerbase has definitely been increasing

Morph-matching is a thing in this game so start practicing your counter feints everyone!!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I felt pretty badass the other day when I beat up a knight, he got out of range and backpedalled behind his team to heal, and instead of giving up I just pushed forward and killed like three other people to get to him and finish him off

no escape :black101:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

have you seen my baby posted:

Yeah the general skill level of the playerbase has definitely been increasing

Morph-matching is a thing in this game so start practicing your counter feints everyone!!

Yeah I can't tell if the issue has been new people leaving or people just getting better. I have no idea if the EGS exclusive hurt the playerbase enough that there is already a contraction in people or not.

At least half a server is getting decent at dragging now though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

have you seen my baby posted:

A lot of the Chiv2 weapons are strong for kind of cheesy reasons

...the shovel is just legitimately strong
The speed bar (and damage bar, and even the reach bar) can also feel more like a vague suggestion given cases like the Shovel having the same speed "stat" as the Sledge hammer. And then a list of traits all saying "Faster when it does X"

So given that kind of presentation I can't blame people for feeling that the Shovel is surprisingly fast if they just do a quick glance at the class screen meters after being killed by a shovel for the Nth time.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I can't tell if the issue has been new people leaving or people just getting better. I have no idea if the EGS exclusive hurt the playerbase enough that there is already a contraction in people or not.

At least half a server is getting decent at dragging now though.

Ngl, I'm dying more but I'm also having more fun not being surrounded by teammates messers swinging side to side holding the line.

Also combat is more fun when you're not just parry swiping groups as you back up, it's actually easier to counter sometimes when people turn real hard into their swings and whiff.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I had a few bad rounds this morning ngl.

I switched to engineer and it all changed.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Players are definitely getting faster, and the Messer stab is now a standard spam choice. 2 hand weapons seem more popular now overall. Most players with shields seem to get rolled over pretty hard, except for a minority who are an incredible pain in the rear end.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People have figured out that 2h stabs are no slower than smaller weapons and in many cases faster than almost everything else. Hopefully they weren't just blowing smoke about having a bunch of weapon balance knobs they can tweak on the dev end cause we might not have backwards, upsidedown nightmare helicopter Vanguards but the balance is kinda falling apart.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

beer gas canister posted:

Players are definitely getting faster, and the Messer stab is now a standard spam choice. 2 hand weapons seem more popular now overall. Most players with shields seem to get rolled over pretty hard, except for a minority who are an incredible pain in the rear end.

Messer stab spam was p much the first reliable way I learned to kill people

I have been having more fun with longsword and sword on officer tho

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Statutory Ape posted:

Messer stab spam was p much the first reliable way I learned to kill people

I have been having more fun with longsword and sword on officer tho

Lsword and mace is a good combo. I swear the mace must be good by how often people kill me with it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they add in an option to change the controls per weapon. The javelins and one-handed weapons are really fun to use but I wish the left click was the thrust instead of the sweep.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jimbot posted:

I hope they add in an option to change the controls per weapon. The javelins and one-handed weapons are really fun to use but I wish the left click was the thrust instead of the sweep.

This probably won't happen in this game, but if there's a program that remaps KB/m input with a hotkey toggle to swap profiles you could probably program a good substitute

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Plain and short swords are still my favorite melee weapons, something satisfying about twirling around with one as MAA.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm quite convinced at this point that the Short Sword is not only the best auxiliary weapon it's one of the best weapons in the game flat. People just aren't prepared for how fast it is, and it does very real damage on its thrusts.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I bought Chivalry 2 on a whim yesterday and after struggling for the first hour or so, I'm starting to place towards the top of the scoreboards. I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I definitely play passively and just rush in and basically steal kills save my teammates from enemies focusing on them.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's actually hard to believe how fun this game is. I'm on holidays at the moment and it's legit all I've been doing. I never get tired of killing, and being killed.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been taking tons of clips with GeForce Experience, thinking I might make another stupid montage video at some point, but ugghh :effort:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nordick posted:

I've been taking tons of clips with GeForce Experience, thinking I might make another stupid montage video at some point, but ugghh :effort:

I usually use the xbox game bar record feature, which is not working for me in this game. I figured screw it ill use the nvidia capture thing, which I can not figure out how to get it to take little highlights of the last X seconds. I can get it to record continually fine and play that back tho?

Mind you im pretty sure I even saw/adjusted the option for how long the screen grab lasts. Where tf do I set the keybind to actually use the capture feature? Did they call it something weird in the alt z nvidia menu??

I dont want to preemptively record poo poo, every time i have tried that ive forgotten and its just vast tracts of me being afk while smoking weed in video games dying to the flora and fauna

ALso to the goon that cant get enough killing and dying...same.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Statutory Ape posted:

Mind you im pretty sure I even saw/adjusted the option for how long the screen grab lasts. Where tf do I set the keybind to actually use the capture feature? Did they call it something weird in the alt z nvidia menu??

Settings (cog icon to the right in the main Alt-Z screen) -> Keyboard shortcuts -> Recording -> "Save the last X minutes recorded". I think it's Alt-F10 by default.

Also make sure the instant replay feature is actually running. I sometimes forget and then wonder why the gently caress the shortcut isn't doing anything.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 24, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HukHukHuk posted:

Plain and short swords are still my favorite melee weapons, something satisfying about twirling around with one as MAA.

They're real good.

I've been forcing myself to use weapons other than the long/short/sword, shovel, and one handed spear. Polehammer feels pretty good but I'm not very good at fighting against groups with it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The regular "sword" sword is really freaking nice imho. It has a really good balance of speed and damage I think. it seems fast enough to be faster than most weapons on the battlefield and does enough damage to kill things if you can defend yourself a bit

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Are there any recommended videos/streamers that teach people how not to suck with real-life examples and gameplay clips? I remember learning a lot more from watching videos than from actually bumbling around aimlessly on the battlefield when I played Mordhau.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

TorakFade posted:

Are there any recommended videos/streamers that teach people how not to suck with real-life examples and gameplay clips? I remember learning a lot more from watching videos than from actually bumbling around aimlessly on the battlefield when I played Mordhau.

This is a good primer for the game's mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xyV7VUv8Q

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is a good primer for the game's mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xyV7VUv8Q

This was super helpful. The tutorial didn't really explain the mechanics very well. Playing on console and loving it. I'm sure I'm at a disadvantage to kb+m, but still having a blast screaming and dying while occasionally getting a kill in.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this game can probably survive most of its bugs if theyre eventually fixed but the matchmaking/server reliability seems to be really atrocious not only for myself but for my friends

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TorakFade posted:

I like these two. They're very helpful in explaining what they are doing and what they are thinking, and will happily answer your questions in chat. I've learned a bunch from both of them, like every swing has forward momentum and pushes you forward a little bit. When you crouch, you don't get moved forward, so swinging and ducking is a great way to maintain your distance and not get sucked in to closer range than is ideal for your weapon.

https://twitch.tv/stripedsweaterlive

https://twitch.tv/godkingttv

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Lag the past few days has been pretty bad and combined with it already having the friends list bug is kind of ruining the joy I had in chopping off heads.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Derpies posted:

Lag the past few days has been pretty bad and combined with it already having the friends list bug is kind of ruining the joy I had in chopping off heads.

Yeah, I get random spikes in my ping, even when using matchmaking. And sometimes the server will just drop me completely.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Honestly there are very few secrets about getting good at this time. You have to play to get used to everything, the better people get the more of the techniques shown in the tutorial you actually have to use. Remember that the people who are destroying everyone have thousands of hours into medieval melee games.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Honestly there are very few secrets about getting good at this time. You have to play to get used to everything, the better people get the more of the techniques shown in the tutorial you actually have to use. Remember that the people who are destroying everyone have thousands of hours into medieval melee games.

There are a couple of top-secret secrets that keep me at the top of the leader board that I'm going to share with everyone now: 1) Use overhead swings from behind to kill the guy 5 of your teammates are ineffectually beating on, 2) F is the kick button.

Congratulations, you are now more advanced than 90% of the player base without having to invest a thousand hours into melee combat games.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 24, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I mean the biggest starting tip is to use overheads and stabs more. Side swings are good when you’re in a huge melee, but if you’re 5v1 there’s no reason you should be doing a side swing. Yes you’ll have to aim, but that’s a big part of the game. The reality is this is just simple geometry. Use math to win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I mean the biggest starting tip is to use overheads and stabs more. Side swings are good when you’re in a huge melee, but if you’re 5v1 there’s no reason you should be doing a side swing. Yes you’ll have to aim, but that’s a big part of the game. The reality is this is just simple geometry. Use math to win!

I dunno, countering their wild panic side swings can work sometimes. But yeah, pokes are usually the way to go if you're not gonna get hit by their swing anyways