Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

It finally happened. 2 was excessive, 3 was dumb.

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1408092552243290118

Excuse me what the gently caress is Starlit Epiphany? :catstare:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I know this thread often is cranky about Runeterra, but one thing I appreciate is continuing support for other archetypes.

We got new Deep support recently. Poro, Elite, Yeti, Daybreak/Nightfall, Spiders, Celestial, and Slay support. While Riot does drop new archetypes like Lurk, I appreciate that old decks get new love.

Basically, everything gets support except Support.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'd like nab to exist, but unfortunately the player base disagrees.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nab when it was at it's height didn't feel great to play against as the other guy threw your discounted cards back at you and stole your win conditions.

Atakhan seems like a fun 10 drop, Twisted Treeline might end up in fearsome aggro or spider decks for a delayed 3 mana 6/6 fearsome spider, probably easier to summon then the other card.

Field Promotion could be neat too.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 24, 2021

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

lmaoing at astral fox. The shadow isles sacrifice package was already really strong to the point people are calling for nerfs to it, so they give it a crazy burn card.

Day one of the patch I am 100% adding that card to spider aggro and climbing back up the ladder over the corpses of all the people running bad versions of the new archetypes.

hit button fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 24, 2021

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Nab when it was at it's height didn't feel great to play against as the other guy threw your discounted cards back at you and stole your win conditions.

Atakhan seems like a fun 10 drop, Twisted Treeline might end up in fearsome aggro or spider decks for a delayed 3 mana 6/6 fearsome spider, probably easier to summon then the other card.

Field Promotion could be neat too.

The spider is really, really delayed though, because it can't attack the turn it spawns. Plenty of time for an opponent to save something for it or play around it. And it's an awful topdeck. And if your opponent can hold off your attacks you just spent mana to take up a board slot and nothing else. It's poo poo, imo.

The slay guy seems like a good beefier alternative to the draw 2 guy. It is a skill though, so disruptable.

The scout card is cool, scout on anything can get really wild with the downside that you have to precommit a card to it, so you pass priority and open yourself to be 2 for 1ed.

Defiant dance seems crazy good.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 24, 2021

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I don't think Treeline is that bad, but it's definitely too slow for spider aggro.

Magic Underwear posted:

Defiant dance seems crazy good.
Ew no, at slow speed there's no way that's making the cut in Irelia decks. It's difficult to stress just how much worse a slow recall spell is compared to a fast one.

hit button fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 24, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think Twisted Treeline makes more sense if you consider it in a Tempo package. You play it and swing with three fearsome units and it pops out an additional blocker for your opponent’s next turn that might get to attack on your turn after that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

hit button posted:

I don't think Treeline is that bad, but it's definitely too slow for spider aggro.

Ew no, at slow speed there's no way that's making the cut in Irelia decks. It's difficult to stress just how much worse a slow recall spell is compared to a fast one.

I suppose so, but it does give you a round of offense where their best unit is gone and they may not be able to replay it after.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think Twisted Treeline makes more sense if you consider it in a Tempo package. You play it and swing with three fearsome units and it pops out an additional blocker for your opponent’s next turn that might get to attack on your turn after that.

But landmarks are negative tempo. And the second you play it your opponent is going to do whatever they can to delay it, which if they do means at least four turns until it can attack, which is just bad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Magic Underwear posted:

I suppose so, but it does give you a round of offense where their best unit is gone and they may not be able to replay it after.

But landmarks are negative tempo. And the second you play it your opponent is going to do whatever they can to delay it, which if they do means at least four turns until it can attack, which is just bad.

As in you play it on the turn you have 3 fearsome units to swing with and have a blocker for your opponent’s next turn.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Lord_Magmar posted:

As in you play it on the turn you have 3 fearsome units to swing with and have a blocker for your opponent’s next turn.

Yeah I read the card. Did you read my post? If your opponent can kill one of your attackers in response to playing this then your tempo deck just wasted a lot of tempo for nothing. In general if you have 3 units that can attack favorably you really want to open attack anyway. If I really wanted to develop before attacking I'd play a creature that can do damage right now! That's how tempo decks win, they keep you on the back foot long just long enough to count to 20 before they get crushed by value! They don't win by playing a brick that might be an overstatted beater later, if the opponent's draw is bad! That's literally the opposite of tempo! A tempo version would give you a 6/6 now but hurt your board later. The card is garbage.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No aggro decks are counting to 20 before they lose to value. Tempo decks want to use well statted minions and efficient trading. This thing is a 3 mana 6/6 with fearsome, the fact that it can’t attack the turn you play it is not much of a drawback for a body absolutely nothing contests the earliest turns it comes down (3 or 4 mana).

I personally don’t think it’s very good, but it is not garbage and it’s definitely more playable than the other Vilemaw summon card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't get why they printed astral fox. Worth mentioning that the trigger is disruptable though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

No Wave posted:

I don't get why they printed astral fox. Worth mentioning that the trigger is disruptable though.

By "not get" do you mean because you think Slay is strong enough already?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yes. SI has a weirdly high number of burn tools already, and I prefer good cards going anywhere except SI butcher keeper decks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/playruneterra/status/1408454950074650625?s=21

Ah, I see landmarks continue to be bad and counterproductive. I understand the idea they were going for but I can't see why you would ever want to run Ripper's Bay instead of just splashing some Predict from Shurima instead.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ah, I see landmarks continue to be bad and counterproductive. I understand the idea they were going for but I can't see why you would ever want to run Ripper's Bay instead of just splashing some Predict from Shurima instead.

At 1 mana it's really not costing you tempo, it improves your chances of lurking significantly, an d it enables shaped stone in a deck that's really hurting for attack buff combat tricks. I think it's an easy take.

(Not to mention that the card itself has the lurk keyword, further increasing the consistency of the deck)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Bloodbait and Ripper's Bay aren't fantastic in a deck with Shurima, but we need cards like this if we want the archetype to exist in two factions (Shurima and Bilgewater) as opposed to being locked in to one paired faction.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CitizenKeen posted:

Bloodbait and Ripper's Bay aren't fantastic in a deck with Shurima, but we need cards like this if we want the archetype to exist in two factions (Shurima and Bilgewater) as opposed to being locked in to one paired faction.
Ripper's Bay has a cool design, but the design is timid. If it dumped 2-3 cards it'd be an awesome design independent of whether it gets played or not. I don't even play deep but I'd rather see an over the top card with a straightforward nerf than an underwhelming card that's never going to be touched. This isn't an evaluation on whether it will be played or not. It's harder to read than some other cards due to being in a new archetype of questionable power to begin with.

Bloodbait seems not playable to me unless that card it puts on top is a good card. I'm too lazy to look it up. The problem is you are using a card to do nothing a lot of the time. Usually decks don't have enough gas to support things like this. It borders on win more even, you've already drawn, played, and stuck lurk cards before you can benefit from it. I'm not sure why they keep designing these mechanics that do almost nothing & force your next draw into being something else. It's very bad to tank card advantage like this. It might work in lurk.

I don't buy the predict argument because predict doesn't have lurk and hitting your lurks seems to be a critical part of the archetype's design.

I guess what I'm saying is, make ripper's bay always discard 3 if you miss the lurk & give bloodbait a one way ticket to cantrip city and have it draw a card before it does anything else. Or better yet, if it gets hit with a lurk activation draw it. That'd be a cool mechanic.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 25, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Khorne posted:

Ripper's Bay has a cool design, but the design is timid. If it dumped 2-3 cards it'd be an awesome design independent of whether it gets played or not. I don't even play deep but I'd rather see an over the top card with a straightforward nerf than an underwhelming card that's never going to be touched.

I suppose it... half works with Deep. It's dumping cards which helps you get to that threshold but it's discarding rather than obliterating so if you're throwing that into a Deep deck anything it dumps won't get pulled back out by Nautilus on level up.

I dunno I'm probably off base with my initial impressions because I definitely do not spend much if any time in actual ranked play. I just have a hard time seeing it being worth it to run a full Lurk deck and running the risk of this landmark dumping your spells. But hey who knows maybe a theoretical Lurk deck will be light enough on non-lurk followers and spells to make that risk negligible.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 25, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I dunno I'm probably off base with my initial impressions because I definitely do not spend much if any time in actual ranked play. I just have a hard time seeing it being worth it to run a full Lurk deck and running the risk of this landmark dumping your spells. But hey who knows maybe a theoretical Lurk deck will be light enough on non-lurk followers and spells to make that risk negligible.
From my perspective, it throwing 1 card away when it misses lurk has no impact on whether it will be played or not. Sure, there will be a time it will throw away the one spell you needed. But you probably play 2 more copies of that spell. And there will be lots of times you don't want to draw things without lurk and would much rather draw a lurk card.

I'm very much a player who would play a card that did 15 damage to their own nexus and obliterated 30 cards from my deck on t1 if I thought it was better than not playing it, though.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 25, 2021

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Khorne posted:

Bloodbait seems not playable to me unless that card it puts on top is a good card.
Snapper is the 0 2 lurk follower that starts a free attack when played. So you're enabling 2 lurk procs with Bloodbait, including one on the opponent's attack turn.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
landmarks just need to be able to block or have better benefits, so far none of them are worth it unless you are doing a meme deck and dont care about winning

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

That isn't true at all, and there have been a bunch of extremely powerful landmarks. Emperor's Dais is fundamental to Azir Irelia. Veiled Temple and Plaza were both so good they had to be nerfed into nonexistence. Turbo Thralls is being played extensively in masters. Blighted Ravine, Ancient Preparations and Preservarium are all good value and played in competitive decks. There are also Star Spring and Scargrounds, both of which are vital parts of their archetypes even if those archetypes aren't top of the meta currently (which is nothing to do with the merits or otherwise of the Landmark mechanic).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel countdown landmarks can't really be lumped into the same boat as regular landmarks, they don't have the issue of clugging board space forever and most have a good "half now half later" effect.

And there are almost no viable none-countdown landmarks above 3 mana that weren't overtuned like veiled temple was.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 25, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you ignore the good landmarks, all the landmarks are bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Name a good landmark above 3 mana?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And there are almost no viable none-countdown landmarks above 3 mana that weren't overtuned like veiled temple was.

There are 7 non-countdown landmarks above 3 mana. Sure none of them are great (if you exclude old veiled temple which you had to), but I don't really think that proves or disproves anything either way about the mechanic.

Like, its a general Runeterra trend that higher cost cards are just worse than cheaper cards anyway.

Also I think one of the NA top 32 from seasonals was running a Targon's Peak deck in his lineup lol

hit button fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 25, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I was kinda overgeneralizing with my statement on landmarks above, there's definitely good ones.

But even the good ones share all the same problems as the rest of the landmarks do. They gently caress up your mana curve, kill your overall play momentum, and take up valuable board space. It's not a coincidence that the two champions they tried to focus on landmarks are two of the worst champs in the game currently.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Taliyah's not even in the bottom half of champs by winrate at the moment on Mobalytics.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

No Wave posted:

Taliyah's not even in the bottom half of champs by winrate at the moment on Mobalytics.

Well yeah, but she's one of the weakest cards in the decks she's being played in and often left out entirely. Taliyah's issues aren't really related to landmarks though (copying a landmark on play is actually the best thing about her and the reason she's run).

hit button fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 25, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If landmarks didn't take up board space or you could use spell mana to play them it would massively buff them, being able to use spell mana alone would be a huge boon to scarground decks that could play scarground+minion on 3 instead of needing to find a 1-2 drop or get hit in the face until 4.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

It would buff them massively, but they've not been designed with that in mind and are not even vaguely balanced around that so it would be extremely broken.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Veiled Temple was good and 4+. It would have still been playable at 5 if they didn't nerf the +1 defense. If they add back +1 defense and remove mana accel it's probably still playable, although I don't know about in the current meta due to the overall power creep.

Landmarks have a lot of design issues. Taking up follower spots is a big one, being overpriced because they creature mana instead of spell mana is another, and people feeling really bad about them anytime they are good is a third. The last one is because the meta is always so diverse that you can't justify running landmark hate. Even in a control deck. It's also due to landmarks changing how the game is played but only showing up in some portion of a deck's games.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Khorne posted:

The last one is because the meta is always so diverse that you can't justify running landmark hate. Even in a control deck. It's also due to landmarks changing how the game is played but only showing up in some portion of a deck's games.

I feel like landmarks are still a relatively new mechanic, and as more archetypes are added that make use of them we'll start seeing anti-landmark tech become a more justifiable option. It would help if they added a few more options for landmark disruption with the flexibility of, say, scorched earth.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hit button posted:

I feel like landmarks are still a relatively new mechanic, and as more archetypes are added that make use of them we'll start seeing anti-landmark tech become a more justifiable option. It would help if they added a few more options for landmark disruption with the flexibility of, say, scorched earth.
This introduces another problem: if your deck needs a landmark to function and it gets hit by hate that's extremely feel bad. Shurima & Ionia have answers to the hate at least.

Which introduces another problem, if a landmark is just generically good and gives you an immediate payoff then playing hate vs it doesn't feel so great even if it stops additional future value.

Enchantments have been a contentious design point in MTG for decades & it's no surprise that LoR's version has all of the same problems.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Imo it's exacerbated in LoR because removal is weak so not putting beef on the board is a giant problem.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Khorne posted:

This introduces another problem: if your deck needs a landmark to function and it gets hit by hate that's extremely feel bad. Shurima & Ionia have answers to the hate at least.

That's only an issue if you have an extremely binary wincon based on your landmark. So far only TK Soraka / Star Spring really has that issue I think. And that's par for the course if you have a wincon based on a vulnerable single point of failure, whether its a landmark or a Fiora or whatever.

Like Lurk isn't really going to care that much if you blast their Ripper's Bay, but it will still probably be a good idea to do so if you happen to have some removal in hand and can spare the mana.

hit button fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

post isnt edit

hit button fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 26, 2021