Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_RZf5i_LE

will it be free software like windows 10

will anyone care about the game store?

will they roll back all the dumb changes like like 8 within a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

current windows livestream status: begging people to use the windows store

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

platform platform PLATFORM PLATFOREM PLATFORM

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

well, that was boring. thanks op!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
How about giving us back control over updates, allowing us to easily turn off performance-leeching bloatware like Cortana, and not shoving ads into the loving OS? Nope, but the start button is now in the center of the taskbar! Just give us back Windows 7, the last good OS you made.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

even cnets "live blog" is half about the stream not working

great job microsoft

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

The foreshadowing is a nice touch.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

that whole thing was sad and I'm convinced the main presenter was under duress.

Mr.48 posted:

performance-leeching bloatware

lmao what is this, slashdot?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Oh poo poo, they made an Android emulator, nobody's ever done that before!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Do you have a commerce engine? Bring it on down. We loving love commerce engines.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr.48 posted:

How about giving us back control over updates, allowing us to easily turn off performance-leeching bloatware like Cortana, and not shoving ads into the loving OS? Nope, but the start button is now in the center of the taskbar! Just give us back Windows 7, the last good OS you made.

you're old

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Cant argue there...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what a poo poo load of gently caress!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
didn’t watch

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mikkkro$$$oft

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i didnt watch but the system requirements have tpm 2.0 which means so many computers arent gonna be able to run it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a feeling institutions are going to skip 11 like they did 8

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it's official: windows is free software

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22546801/microsoft-windows-11-free-upgrade-details

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just want to know: will windows 11 be good… or will it be a POS?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it’s a steaming pos and nadella can shove it up his ugly rear end

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i will not forgive them their bullshit until they bring back the old window decorator engine so i can make it look like windows 95 again
although aero glass was pretty neat as well, i miss windows not being an eyesore

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Holy poo poo they moved the taskbar to the centre you guys, they only said it like 8 times I feel like it would’ve been more clear if it was 9+.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
also apparently on the beta build the desktop right click menu is borked and it might actually be intentional :lol:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
tpm, i need a tpm!!!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

i will not forgive them their bullshit until they bring back the old window decorator engine so i can make it look like windows 95 again
although aero glass was pretty neat as well, i miss windows not being an eyesore

Whistler theme

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.48 posted:

It's easy to remove cortana, you just run this cryptic one liner in powershell like its linux.

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object Name -eq Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i need tpm for my bunghole

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
hail satyan

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Panos, on the verge of crying: I just cannot wait for this whopper. it is amazing that they let me have it my way.

amazing

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
how long before windows is reduced to a stable driver abi for linux

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Perplx posted:

It's easy to remove cortana, you just run this cryptic one liner in powershell like its linux.

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object Name -eq Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage

Why did you put the unnecessary where-object filter in the middle of that command

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Serious tech chat - I bought a new laptop, upgraded the storage, and reinstalled windows two weeks ago. I discovered after changing the boot order and booting Ubuntu that it had also enabled bitlocker for the entire drive. I discovered this because ​changing the boot order and booting Ubuntu cleared the TPM. I had to go to my microsoft account to get a recovery key.

Pretty big change and I'm not sure how I feel about it considering I dual boot almost every computer I own. I hope they at least have the wisdom to warn people - there is a lot more potential for things to break than when they decided they were going to move the known folders to be under the onedrive folder and they forgot to check all the error results and deleted the originals w/o making the copy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
uninstall linux: problem solved

ubunutu loving up the tpm is an absurd default

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
windows 11 is a new operating system the same way windows ME was. New coat of paint on the most reliable way to run win32/directX applications.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

uninstall linux: problem solved

ubunutu loving up the tpm is an absurd default

I'm not sure ubuntu did it, or if it's how my UEFI is configured from HP.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wow, and just like that TPM modules are out of stock.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lmao i'm just gonna stick to windows 7

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

same but 2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

why does windows 11 look like a linux