Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Z0_H4sZcE

Having listened to them, I can firmly say I don't care about the music of Sparks. With that being said, I respect their ability to consistently make well-crafted songs and albums that nobody seems to talk about. The documentary hits theaters June 17th, and probably later for home viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My dad's a big fan and so am I.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Edward Mass posted:

Having listened to them, I can firmly say I don't care about the music of Sparks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Had never listened to Sparks before and only knew about them through Weird Al’s style parody (“Virus Alert” on Straight Outta Lynwood). Ended up blasting through a bunch of their albums over the last few weeks and combined with this being a doc by Edgar Wright, I’m in.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I love me some Sparks and Edgar Wright, so I'd love to be able to watch this but I'm in the sticks so I guess I just gotta wait several months for this to hit streaming!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was wondering if this and Annette would drum up enough interest in a full US tour (usually it's just a couple dates in LA) and they announced there's gonna be 17 US dates next year on the last episode of Comedy Bang Bang. :buddy:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a nice documentary - nothing ground breaking, but it's charming and you end it both wanting to listen to more of their music and happy for the brothers Sparks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I really liked this movie. Might be my favorite of the year (so far).

I did listen to their entire discography for this. I was familiar with some of their 80's stuff, like Angst In My Pants, and their 70's album Kimono My House, but there is just so much more to their style and ideas than the several albums I knew.

Even if you aren't a fan of their music, I think there's enough here to dig into. They've made music for decades, and you see how the music scene reacts to their ideas, and how their ideas react to the music industry.

I think the biggest throughline that connected with me was these two guys persevering for creativity, in all their eccentric, nerdy, clever, smart-rear end style. It was uplifting, and the fandom of the talking heads is pretty infectious, regardless. I saw it with two friends who only really knew them from a few songs I played, and they really enjoyed it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Tim Burton movie sounded dope, I wish that got made.

I went into this completely blind on who Sparks were, and I'm really not a music person. But, I wanted to see what an Edgar Wright directed documentary would be like and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Maybe a bit too long, but it did achieve its goal of making me want to listen to their albums. Gonna go through their discography, something I have not done with a band since I really wanted to listen to Maximum the Hormone a couple of years ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Where are you guys seeing the movie?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd ASSUME we're going to the theater, unless :filez:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

I'd ASSUME we're going to the theater, unless :filez:

Holy poo poo theaters are back.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MonsieurChoc posted:

Holy poo poo theaters are back.

All it took was some corporate negotiations and, you know, a vaccine for COVID-19.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Me and Flea hanging out, nodding, all "It's true, Introducing Sparks is underrated." :hmmyes:

I mean it's a little anonymous, but it's Sparks doing The Beach Boys and I'm here for it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where are you guys seeing the movie?
If you got a local indie place around, they're probably playing it. The official site has time listings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Apparently it's playing in Montreal so I might risk the plague-infested city to see it.

Got my first dose anyway.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

I refuse to believe this isn't some elaborate hoax.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I listened to their first album and enjoyed it. Music is a big blind spot for me so I really don't have thoughts on this beyond "I thought it sounded good"

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just announced for VOD in the US and Canada on July 9th!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Velvet Elvis posted:

I refuse to believe this isn't some elaborate hoax.

If only there were some way to prove that this band has made a lot of music. Some sort of way of recording that. Some sort of records, if you will.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I saw this a few weeks back at an advanced screening, going in knowing nothing about Sparks.

Its a long documentary, but it didn't really feel its length, or seem overly long (as they have a lot of career to cover). Really loved it, the whole movie just had this great wholesome vibe, and the two Sparks brothers seem like really nice people, and I just couldn't be happier for their success.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All these people who've never heard of Sparks. Sounds like a real...Amateur Hour.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yo why the gently caress does he have a hitler stache

maybe that's what kept them from mainstream appeal

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

yo why the gently caress does he have a hitler stache

maybe that's what kept them from mainstream appeal

They're big in England and he was going for a Charlie Chaplin thing. He has a John Waters mustache now.

Anyway I decided that the Sparks thread in the forum about watching things needs Sparks videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH5USLpPa_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dqCQ2MHfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-iw3yyLApQ

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I always loved this animated video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weu3KnAhxhU

Their later output is so different than their 70's and 80's stuff, but it's still very much Sparks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I always loved this animated video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weu3KnAhxhU

Their later output is so different than their 70's and 80's stuff, but it's still very much Sparks.

Sparks is one of those bands with a sound that varies wildly while also still sounding like themselves.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 9, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

US tour dates up: http://allsparks.com/#tour

Gonna see 'em twice. :toot:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
okay fine ill watch a sparks video. give me one that will blow my mind and win me over to team sparks. you have one chance

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Alan I get the impression you're not taking these Sparks guys very seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM74ngy9EIw

Why will you not take Sparks seriously.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I went to high school and majored in lookin' real bad
I got a real ugly mom and a real ugly dad

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Between this movie and Annette it's really the summer of Sparks out here.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
This is streaming on Netflix now. Very much worth your time, even if you haven't heard of the band. Not only is it very well made but it also turns out they are great documentary subjects, since Ron & Russ are very odd and charming characters. As a number of people mention they come off more like something that was cooked up for a movie than an actual band. It's amusing that even after 2 1/2 hours you come away knowing very little about the Maels themselves - their family goes unmentioned after the first 10 minutes and there is virtually no discussion about their personal lives except the fact that Jane Wiedlin dated Russell briefly and some of the various spots they'd hang out at. What it does is present Sparks as some unstoppable creative force, always innovating and following their odd whims, for better or worse. It's one of those docs that feels too long and too short at the same time - going album by album is kind of tedious but there is something genuinely interesting about all of them, because they never stayed in the same place for long, and they always had these weird pockets of random success. I can't think of another band that's had a remotely similar career arc. Helps that their recent albums are really great, of course. There's almost something superhuman to them. I suppose the doc is a bit overly celebratory - they present their failures as "they were out of step with the times" or "it was too weird for their audience" when the truth is they just kinda sucked sometimes. But I had a blast watching it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering renting this before your post. Now I can watch it ASAP