Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sometimes when you're playing a game, your brain makes up your own story. i think this is particularly true of older games, because sometimes their stories were a little thin and we would have played them when we were younger and our imaginations ran a little more wild.

whenever i played Star Fox 64, i always thought of the space animals as actually just human people inside the ships. the animal persona is just a call sign that they used when talking over the intercom as some kind of weird military custom that originated because of the term "dog fighting."

in the civ games, the story for me was that there was one guy who suddenly discovered he was immortal way back in the stone age but didn't know why, and all the civ's science research were based on his weird whims. his civilization discovered sailing because there was a beach near his house, archery because some deer kept eating his garden, etc. he eventually discovers a bunch of strange, ancient magic as his civ expands and realizes that if he flies to alpha centauri or casts a spell that sacrifices the entire global population, he can learn the secret to his immortality.

all my elder scrolls characters lose their memories just before the start of the game. they're mostly doing things like guild quests and daedra worship to see if any of them feel right and clue them in to who they used to be. none of them ever remember, even the oblivion character i played all the quests with. they just learn a lesson about how it doesn't matter who they were, they know who they ARE, and make the kiryu thinking face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
mgs: twin snakes is otacon telling the story of what happened in mgs 1 based on hearsay, his bad memory and also his anime inspired embellishment

despite being a lore heavy game, i kept constantly forgetting that in FTL im supposed to be the federation facing off the rebels. it just doesnt feel that way at all and i always think its the other way around. shittiest galactic federation in all of gaming.

also, since magic the gathering is fresh on my mind right now, this twitter owns

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never really did this OP. I think early experiences playing CRPGs made me expect to have everything spoon fed to me. I kind of like books with ambiguous endings for this, though.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I used to talk poo poo to the quake 3 arena bot Visor in chat

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Gunther Hermann

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I headcanoned that the extra lives you got at the end of super mario land levels were actually prisoners getting rescued, and that a "Mario" was not a specific individual but an entire resistance movement of very good jumpers waging a brutal war against the alien armada of Tatanga. I dunno it just sort of made sense to me with the shooter segments to envision it as a war story.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That emperor geshtal was some sort of dog human hybrid

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Video Game: ahh help somebody get my head out of this canon! lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hizke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wafhDIMU6w

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

Gunther Hermann

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I like to pretend I'm a Gundam pilot from 08th MS team in Titanfall 2 multiplayer matches

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
dr. wily was crushed by falling debris at the end of megaman 3, then in megaman 4 after defeating dr. cossack we see him teleport into the arena using the same visual effect as megaman teleporting. therefore, dr. wily must have made himself into a cyborg in order to recover from his injuries...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That emperor geshtal was some sort of dog human hybrid

So did a lot of people, enough that FFXIV put in a dog minion named Gestahl.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what did the amano drawing of him look like that it turned into that sprite anyway?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

what did the amano drawing of him look like that it turned into that sprite anyway?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

P-Mack posted:

this pwns

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

all my elder scrolls characters lose their memories just before the start of the game.

This is canon if you believe that all player characters are shezarines. TES lore ftw.

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
There's a secret 1UP if you jump while on top of the highest ? block in the beginning of 1-1, sometimes it'll be up to the left or right, or you can find it if you can get big Mario to jump a little higher than normal.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This may not be exactly what you meant but when I was super addicted to Morrowind in middle school I was constantly creating new characters and deleting old ones whenever I decided to try out a new build or something. But sometimes when I accomplished what I set out to do with one character I’d have gotten too attached to them to delete them, so instead they’d get “retired.” I’d bring them back to whatever house had been taken over as their home base, unequip their weapons and armor, put them and any other treasures they’d collected around the house as if they were on display, put on their finest civilian clothes, and leave them there. Save, sign out, and leave the save there instead of deleting it. In my mind they had gotten everything they wanted out of adventuring and settled down to enjoy the quiet life with their wealth.

I brought the tradition back a few years ago with The Witcher 3 where I did the same thing with Geralt at his vineyard after doing everything in the game.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I used to believe Yoshi from the Mario series was female at one point of my life, and used to think of a whole canon behind her in my head, I was a weird 6 year old.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

this pwns. ffxiv is drat good

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This may not be exactly what you meant but when I was super addicted to Morrowind in middle school I was constantly creating new characters and deleting old ones whenever I decided to try out a new build or something. But sometimes when I accomplished what I set out to do with one character I’d have gotten too attached to them to delete them, so instead they’d get “retired.” I’d bring them back to whatever house had been taken over as their home base, unequip their weapons and armor, put them and any other treasures they’d collected around the house as if they were on display, put on their finest civilian clothes, and leave them there. Save, sign out, and leave the save there instead of deleting it. In my mind they had gotten everything they wanted out of adventuring and settled down to enjoy the quiet life with their wealth.

I brought the tradition back a few years ago with The Witcher 3 where I did the same thing with Geralt at his vineyard after doing everything in the game.

lol that's cute as hell. i definitely used to want my characters to be comfy.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fungah! posted:

this pwns. ffxiv is drat good

It's the only mmo worth a drat to this gamer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Morrowind's the best for this, you even get a retirement estate out in the country if you do one of the House questlines.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm doin something similar with my bloodborne plat when i finish it, my buddies were playing on my ps4 and made a speedrun character that looks like me. i never got the wake up ending, so i want that to be my last trophy for the plat. feels nice to think about

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Hizke posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This animation from Chrono Trigger was weirdly used to indicate Crono dancing sometimes:

I guess I didn't realize he was turned around backwards, and decided he must be covering his face with crossed arms like Dracula or something while he danced:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

in fallout 3 i used to have casual outfits for my characters for when they were just running between quests lol. i felt bad for having to wear power armor all day. in 4 I basically did the same and would climb out to talk to people sometimes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I made insanely elaborate fanfiction of my Morrowind games in my head and then started using the construction set to painstakingly place copies of characters with the hopes I'd be able to figure out scripting enough to make them able to followers and have adventures with each other. This turned out to be way harder than my 13 year old brain could handle so I gave up pretty quickly. I actually saved my entire Morrowind mod setup, but foolishly deleted it for some reason years later. That ranks as one of my biggest gamer regrets.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I really like this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Had dreams. Two of 'em. Both had my father in 'em. It's peculiar. I'm older now then he ever was by twenty years. So in a sense he's the younger Dunmer. Anyway, first one I don't remember too well but it was about meeting him in Balmora somewhere, he's gonna give me some Septim. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in Skyrim. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his glass cuirass around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire on a torch the way people used to do and I could see the torch from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the bloodmoon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a potion of frost shield somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up...

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
In XCOM and XCOM 2, rookies who got multiple kills or otherwise pulled off something cool on their first mission were my "heroes," and they'd be eligible to have their names changed to something like DIEGO "DASH" DUMPTRUCK and get outfitted in the most garish armor I could throw together in the editor. Conversely, rookies who repeatedly missed gimme shots or stumbled into extra enemy packs on the last move of the turn were "cowards," and they'd retain their original identities and be left on the Avenger to draw a paycheck until it was time to toss them into the meat grinder in the event that too many of my A-listers were injured. I liked to imagine them sitting around in the barracks playing solitaire and filing their nails while their superiors slapped on their neon- and pastel-colored armor and got ready to raise some hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Had dreams. Two of 'em. Both had my father in 'em. It's peculiar. I'm older now then he ever was by twenty years. So in a sense he's the younger Dunmer. Anyway, first one I don't remember too well but it was about meeting him in Balmora somewhere, he's gonna give me some Septim. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in Skyrim. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his glass cuirass around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire on a torch the way people used to do and I could see the torch from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the bloodmoon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a potion of frost shield somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Luigi would be much more powerful than Mario if he wasn't so scared all the time. This might be actual canon though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Luigi would be much more powerful than Mario if he wasn't so scared all the time. This might be actual canon though.

If you think about it, Luigi is the truly brave one.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Might I sugest agin, a head-canon for my skul.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Cubone posted:

Might I sugest agin, a head-canon for my skul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted: