Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ll just say that the film scanning process is going to be limited by many other factors besides RAM, and will be pretty slow regardless. But if you’re going to want to browse a whole bunch of tabs and do other photo editing while the scanning process is happening, 16GB will probably improve your experience.

I now have an 8GB M1 MBA. I do a lot of photo editing, 4K video editing, big excel files, GIS, and multi-tab browsing, and will be comparing my experience using it for those things to my 16GB 4-port Intel 13” MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Pretty sure the OS is going to consume the available RAM to predicatively have things ready to go and free it when applications need it, because unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Sure, but that would be quite obvious with a high value for RAM Used and a low value for Memory Pressure.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Does anybody use Final Cut + FilmConvert on an M1? Does it still work fast enough? I'm struggling to find any performance reports for that (fairly common) plugin.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hi friends, I've been a Mac user since childhood and am fully enmeshed in the Apple ecosystem (apart from a PC I use solely for gaming). I'm looking to replace my desktop, which is a 2013 Mac Pro that's still chugging along but is no longer the powerhouse it once was. The new M1 models look pretty slick and they'd make a great upgrade.

The sticking point is that I use three monitors, which I have on a KVM with my gaming PC so that I only need one computer desk. As far as I can tell, it looks like the M1 models only support two displays, and I'd need a special DisplayLink docking station to support more. The Macworld article I found from April indicates that the DisplayLink drivers aren't officially supported, though the DisplayLink page doesn't mention that at all.

Has anyone had any success in getting this to work, or am I going to have to wait for a later-gen Mac that natively supports three monitors?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i'm not sure how annoying a displaylink display would be if you use a kvm, too. you might want to just wait for the new mac minis that will probably launch this year

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, DisplayLink connections have zero graphics acceleration so they're good for office / static pages and bad for continuous scrolling or any game that updates more than 10% of the screen at once.

Just wait for Apple to finally pinch out the midrange Mx machines like some of the rest of us are..

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
on old intel macs they listed 2 monitors but that was actually only digital, and you could have like infinite vga monitors. dunno if thats true for m1 macs. like i have a new mac pro which had like 6 vga displays (projectors and poo poo) plugged into dongles and it worked. but lord help u if u want to do a grip of hdmi or displayport, then you're getting into the matrox box sector and that is a world of pain

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh, if there's going to be better M1 Mac Minis soon then I'll absolutely wait for those. I assumed that those were as good as we were going to get until a refresh in 2024 or whenever they got around to it. I'll live with the poor framerates when streaming on Discord until then.

Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

blastron posted:

Has anyone had any success in getting this to work, or am I going to have to wait for a later-gen Mac that natively supports three monitors?

Do not do display-link with an M1 Mac. The M1 is hardware-limited to 2 displays and that’s simply the way it is because of its design.

Do wait for the M1X/whatever it gets called Mac Mini/iMac/MacBook Pro because that will almost certainly support 3 displays.

I think a Mid-to-High Tier Mini, when it finally emerges (probably late this summer or sometime in the fall), would be a perfect computer for your needs, and is in fact what I am waiting for to pair with my own desktop PC.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Wait for the new macs or use 1 gigantic monitor like me, 38" 3840x1600, its as wide as dual 24" 1080p but way taller.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Apple could just say that the current M1 macs are selling well enough to delay the M1X models.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

limaCAT posted:

Apple could just say that the current M1 macs are selling well enough to delay the M1X models.

I doubt it, since they want to ditch Intel across the lineup as soon as reasonably possible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I doubt it, since they want to ditch Intel across the lineup as soon as reasonably possible.

agree

also i don't expect them to do that unless they literally can't get the chips made due to resource constraints. they've never had a problem in the past with actively cannibalizing their own product lines

plus it would let them keep dunking on competitors which tbqf i think they place a nontrivial amount of value on

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Apple have all of TSMC’s 5nm capacity to themselves right now, I doubt they’re short of chips in the same way everyone else is.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

Apple have all of TSMC’s 5nm capacity to themselves right now, I doubt they’re short of chips in the same way everyone else is.

i feel the same way which is why i was very general wrt the idea of resource constraints

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Perplx posted:

Wait for the new macs or use 1 gigantic monitor like me, 38" 3840x1600, its as wide as dual 24" 1080p but way taller.

This is a good suggestion, as all M1 Macs can drive a 6K monitor (up to 6016 by 3384) at 60 Hz.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Perplx posted:

What monitor, and does it have a PiP mode?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

mediaphage posted:

agree

also i don't expect them to do that unless they literally can't get the chips made due to resource constraints. they've never had a problem in the past with actively cannibalizing their own product lines

plus it would let them keep dunking on competitors which tbqf i think they place a nontrivial amount of value on
Yeah, exactly

TheMadMilkman posted:

What monitor, and does it have a PiP mode?

Dell U3818DW

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

yup. Their announced plan is 2 years to transition the whole product line. I forget whether they implied that clock started at WWDC2020 or at M1 Mac launch date, but either way, they are very likely to finish transitioning everything but the Mac Pro by the end of this year.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2017 running Mojave that I'm hooking to an external 4K monitor, and I don't understand something:

- If the laptop is open, and I have a monitor plugged, my "Default for display" is 1440p
- If the laptop is closed / clamshelled, and I have the monitor plugged in, my "Default for display" is 1080p

Why the different resolutions outputting here depending on whether or not the laptop is open or closed?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Normally I'd say that'd have to do with some sort of weirdness in the handoff between the dGPU and the iGPU but since you're only a 13" you got me

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does the Touch ID part of the new magic keyboard work with older Apple devices? iPhones? iPads? Macs?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shaocaholica posted:

Does the Touch ID part of the new magic keyboard work with older Apple devices? iPhones? iPads? Macs?
It’s M1 only, unfortunately.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Wait, the new iMacs have TouchID keyboards? I've wanted that for years. I guess I have another thing to look forward to when I upgrade mine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

Wait, the new iMacs have TouchID keyboards? I've wanted that for years. I guess I have another thing to look forward to when I upgrade mine.

as long as you don't get the stripped down base model with two ports

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

My pet theory for M1X/M2 is that Apple is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Chip shortages and the need to keep stock of presently-shipping products like the other M1 models and the iPhone 12 led to delays, but the more they delay it the more time Intel and AMD have to catch up. There is probably a spirited argument at the top about if they should release the M1X now and just deal with any shortages- or that the cost of it will preclude that- or if they should just wait further and release the M2 or an otherwise higher end model so it debuts with more performance gain compared to whatever the present Intel is/will be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SRQ posted:

My pet theory for M1X/M2 is that Apple is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Chip shortages and the need to keep stock of presently-shipping products like the other M1 models and the iPhone 12 led to delays, but the more they delay it the more time Intel and AMD have to catch up. There is probably a spirited argument at the top about if they should release the M1X now and just deal with any shortages- or that the cost of it will preclude that- or if they should just wait further and release the M2 or an otherwise higher end model so it debuts with more performance gain compared to whatever the present Intel is/will be.

catch up with what?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don’t think Intel and AMD are rushing to compete in the ARM marketplace, that area is basically being left entirely to Apple, Samsung and Qualcomm. Nvidia is arguably bigger competition than Intel here.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

catch up with what?

Intel is finally starting to ship 10nm, so slowly but surely the space between the M1 and x86 is going to shrink. It's still comfortably ahead, but the sales argument gets weaker by the month.

M1 compared to a 10700 is a home run, M1 compared to an Alder Lake chip isn't as comfortably ahead.

The argument would be why ship a chip that's 30% faster than Intel now, when we can ship one that's 70% ahead in January?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If the naming convention means anything I'd guess that the M1X doesn't exist, cause it'd be a third chip based on the A14 and coming a year after the others. If there's something coming out this much later I'd assume it's on the newer generation core and SoC design.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mediaphage posted:

as long as you don't get the stripped down base model with two ports

Yeah, I'm not gonna get the base model. That's loving awesome.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna get the base model. That's loving awesome.
The aluminium parts of the keyboard are also anodised with the same colour as the pale parts of the iMac itself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SRQ posted:

Intel is finally starting to ship 10nm, so slowly but surely the space between the M1 and x86 is going to shrink. It's still comfortably ahead, but the sales argument gets weaker by the month.

M1 compared to a 10700 is a home run, M1 compared to an Alder Lake chip isn't as comfortably ahead.

The argument would be why ship a chip that's 30% faster than Intel now, when we can ship one that's 70% ahead in January?

Its not just about speed but power requirements as well. Intel chips are power hogs and both AMD and Apple have them solidly beat right now.

Intel needs the speed and low power to beat Apple. I'm sure they can get the speed but I highly doubt they can compete with the power part.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

japtor posted:

If the naming convention means anything I'd guess that the M1X doesn't exist, cause it'd be a third chip based on the A14 and coming a year after the others. If there's something coming out this much later I'd assume it's on the newer generation core and SoC design.

iPhone is by far their biggest market and top priority for new chip architectures. The Mac stuff is much faster/more efficient than Intel currently, and, I’d guess, the main draw of the next SoC will be more of everything on a bigger die. They can make up in cores the lag behind the iPhone.

But this is all a mystery. We’ve seen their strategy on the consumer Macs (and the iPads) and it’s “everyone gets the same chip-we achieve scale by repetition across form factors”. But presumably the 16” MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro (and an iMac Pro successor?) will have something different because the RAM ceiling, storage ceiling, external displays ceiling don’t fly for the top of the heap MacBook and Mac. The rumors of their plans for these chips are kind of bananas. https://gizmodo.com/apple-is-reportedly-going-to-replace-the-m1-with-a-crap-1846918048

quote:

These two MacBook Pros won’t be powered by a single next-gen Apple Silicon chip, however. They’ll be powered by two separate chips dubbed Jade C-Chop and Jade C-Die, respectively. These are some sci-fi rear end names, but both are expected to have 10 cores, eight that are high performance and two energy-efficient. Both chips will also come in “16 or 32 graphics core variations” and can go up to 64GB of RAM.

The next Mac Mini will also sport one of these chips and two more ports for a total of four. The new Mac Pro will supposedly offer a choice between two more chips that are “either twice or four times as powerful” as the Jade C-Chop and Jade C-Die.

Get ready for some more ridiculous codenames. These new chips are dubbed the Jade 2C-Die and the Jade 4C-Die. Bloomberg claims these chips will come in 20 and 40 core variations. The 20-core chip will also have 16 high-performance cores and four energy-efficient ones, an option for 64 core graphics. The 40-core version bumps things up to 32 high-performance cores, eight energy-efficient cores, and 128 core graphics.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SRQ posted:

Apple more or less has priority for current 5nm TSMC production and has booked TSMCs initial 4nm production capacity

They are also working on 3nm so I'm sure Apple will have dibs there too

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure Apple isn't in a rush to keep rolling out higher end chips given how good the M1 is. I really think that ultimately there's probably a lot of niche or bespoke programs used by companies out there that maybe don't work perfectly through Rosetta or need more time to be ported over and looks better for Apple for a company's IT department to say "Only the higher end Macs are Intel so we need to pay more to continue using these critical programs" as opposed to "Apple's line up has completely discontinued Intel and we're screwed if anyone needs a replacement laptop". It's easier for Apple to just keep selling M1 laptops to consumers and gently ease companies into the idea that they need to start looking at transitioning software once someone's MBA breaks and suddenly the only replacement option on Intel is a 16 inch MBP

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah Apple is currently behind no 8 ball of any sort. Them having TSMC around their little finger was lucky but will also be taught in MBA courses for generations. Margins on this next call are going to be absolutely gangbusters because 90+% of the development cost of M1 was borne by the iPad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah Apple is currently behind no 8 ball of any sort. Them having TSMC around their little finger was lucky but will also be taught in MBA courses for generations. Margins on this next call are going to be absolutely gangbusters because 90+% of the development cost of M1 was borne by the iPad.

People love jerking off to Steve Jobs but Tim was the guy who looked at the idea of removing the headphone jack to save on manufacturing costs and said "I bet we can turn this into a multi billion dollar industry" lol

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

iPhone is by far their biggest market and top priority for new chip architectures. The Mac stuff is much faster/more efficient than Intel currently, and, I’d guess, the main draw of the next SoC will be more of everything on a bigger die. They can make up in cores the lag behind the iPhone.

But this is all a mystery. We’ve seen their strategy on the consumer Macs (and the iPads) and it’s “everyone gets the same chip-we achieve scale by repetition across form factors”. But presumably the 16” MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro (and an iMac Pro successor?) will have something different because the RAM ceiling, storage ceiling, external displays ceiling don’t fly for the top of the heap MacBook and Mac. The rumors of their plans for these chips are kind of bananas. https://gizmodo.com/apple-is-reportedly-going-to-replace-the-m1-with-a-crap-1846918048
Yeah those are from the Bloomberg article a while back and basically answered for the rest of the lineup. Jade would be the higher end chip, and from the names and numbers it sounds like they'll be going 2-4x multi chip/die/MCM or something for the Mac Pro. I'm just imagining more planning ahead in the timelines (with probable irregular releases and generation skipping like the A-X chips) rather than the Intel style perpetual regular lag for the non primary chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SRQ posted:

This is based on...? What limited/suspected benchmarks we have seen for Alder Lake, haven't painted it as anything special, and the M1 is still quite a bit superior.

Now granted, Alder Lake is Intel's first foray into the BIG.small concept for consumer use, and they will obviously make improvements, but Apple is making improvements also.