Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I am enjoying what seems to be the new trend of op's creating new non Megathread threads, Megathreads suck and should all be round up and shot.

Please keep up the good work op's, the more small specific threads the more this place feels like the lf of yore.

:)

PS brown moses is a oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
You don’t have to worry about this thread getting too many replies, op.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Thank you :)

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

small reply to specific thread

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll reply smallly to your specific thread if you know what I mean ;)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It’s what I always hoped CSPAM would be given DnD is nothing but tedious megathreads

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It’s what I always hoped CSPAM would be given DnD is nothing but tedious megathreads

Be the change you want to see in the world op

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
test

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

thatfatkid posted:

I am enjoying what seems to be the new trend of op's creating new non Megathread threads, Megathreads suck and should all be round up and shot.

Please keep up the good work op's, the more small specific threads the more this place feels like the lf of yore.

:)

PS brown moses is a oval office

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

thatfatkid posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world op
Exactly, :justpost:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's good to :gas: the covid/climate change/trump megathreads every once in a while to see what freaks fall out imo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Failed :eng99:

Also I agree with the OP, I've tried to create some small threads before just to get some new poo poo out there. I'm fine with a megathread or two, but it'd be cool to not have the first page be almost all megathread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The goal is to make enough threads people post in to have you be the op of all unstuck threads op

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should remove the bookmark feature imo. it's mostly a grey forum problem but a lot of people just straight up never look at the forum indexes lol. makes the insane megathread problem worse.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
yeah i agree

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Larry Parrish posted:

they should remove the bookmark feature imo. it's mostly a grey forum problem but a lot of people just straight up never look at the forum indexes lol. makes the insane megathread problem worse.

Agreed

Anyway should we discuss good ideas for new smaller threads? I assume from other's posts in the feedback thread that we want more specifically political threads. Would a few let's read theory threads sound good?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive thought of starting a weekly book club or some poo poo for idiots like me that havent read enough good books, just having separate threads for that would be nice

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
reserved

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
reserved

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
placeholder

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ive thought of starting a weekly book club or some poo poo for idiots like me that havent read enough good books, just having separate threads for that would be nice

Dune is a good book

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i read a LOT of fiction and while there's a lot I can recommend on a general book or web novel I liked level there's not much I can recommend and enjoyed the economic or political detail of. It's a detail a lot of authors phone in, or if it well fleshed out, it's written by a liberal and so is fairly infuriating. The Goblin Emperor is really good, though. Healer's Road is amazing. The Radch novels (ancillary justice, mercy, sword) are top tier. Murderbot Chronicles is ftw and seems to be hilariously critical of capitalism but doesn't really have an answer besides 'why don't we just be nicer'. Good books despite that, though. The culture novels flip flop in my mind between being hilariously critical of liberal interventionism and free love type stuff or a love letter to the same. I can't tell you which is what Banks was going for.

The spell monger novels, however, might just be top tier. They're an insanely slow paced slice of life novels about a military wizard. The books go into incredible detail about feudal socioeconomics in a magical world, including it's own industrial revolution slowly eroding the nobility. Most people hate these books because it's like 10k pages long and has no end in sight. I love them for that. There is literally no other book that comes close to painstakingly imagining an alternate world and trying to simulate every little detail, it's nuts.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Larry Parrish posted:

i read a LOT of fiction and while there's a lot I can recommend on a general book or web novel I liked level there's not much I can recommend and enjoyed the economic or political detail of. It's a detail a lot of authors phone in, or if it well fleshed out, it's written by a liberal and so is fairly infuriating. The Goblin Emperor is really good, though. Healer's Road is amazing. The Radch novels (ancillary justice, mercy, sword) are top tier. Murderbot Chronicles is ftw and seems to be hilariously critical of capitalism but doesn't really have an answer besides 'why don't we just be nicer'. Good books despite that, though. The culture novels flip flop in my mind between being hilariously critical of liberal interventionism and free love type stuff or a love letter to the same. I can't tell you which is what Banks was going for.

The spell monger novels, however, might just be top tier. They're an insanely slow paced slice of life novels about a military wizard. The books go into incredible detail about feudal socioeconomics in a magical world, including it's own industrial revolution slowly eroding the nobility. Most people hate these books because it's like 10k pages long and has no end in sight. I love them for that. There is literally no other book that comes close to painstakingly imagining an alternate world and trying to simulate every little detail, it's nuts.

Have you ever tried blindsight by peter watts? He might be what you're looking for, insofar as his writing ethos focuses on building a compelling post climate change world with all the human misery it implies.

I'm also going to throw out Greg egan because he is my favorite author and I think he has a clear vision of a postscarity, post human society in books like diaspora

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

oh, I was thinking more on nonfiction books but this is a pretty good list of things to look out for. I am kind of a sucker for reading too much politics into fictional settings so I probably should go after a book series more built around it rather than getting riled up about how Harry Potter is a Goddamn Liberal poo poo. The last fiction stuff I read was the discworld books which I find pretty fun and clever in their storytelling but they're definitely more light on world building and political thought even tho they're a step above a lot of 'fantasy satire' style of fiction in doing more than just swapping the roles of everyone and telling the exact same story as before.

A book that's way too into political worldbuilding and the economic side of things sounds sweet, it'd be a nice change of pace from game settings I'm used to where they push aesthetics super hard since theres nothing that makes any sense if you think about things, and people act like you're nuts if you find that lame. spell monger's 10k pages of feudal logistics poo poo sounds like something I could get dreadfully into; like, it reminds me that i did try to make a little parcel of fantasy countryside for use in some rpg game I'd never actually do and I ended up getting super way too caught up in reading about medieval lumberjacks and river transport in the pre-industrial era to get very far in actually detailing it.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Jun 25, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ASAPRockySituation posted:

yeah same. good work everyone

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

Have you ever tried blindsight by peter watts? He might be what you're looking for, insofar as his writing ethos focuses on building a compelling post climate change world with all the human misery it implies.

I'm also going to throw out Greg egan because he is my favorite author and I think he has a clear vision of a postscarity, post human society in books like diaspora

i literally think peter watts is responsible for the climate thread, basically. cool story, retarded conclusions to his ideas. also the sequel is bad

im not an eternal optimist or anything but i don't like doomer novels where we never did anything about climate change and nobody ever will. it's a very tiring end of history esque mindset.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I intend to keep this post updaed with the latest links and resources, I know how much yall hate trawling through 1000 pages to find something ;)

Someone hosed around with this post on Aug 23, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The better way to do that would be something like the LP announcement thread in LP where OPs can post to advertise their new thread. That way the burden doesn't lie with one person to keep one big list updated.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

frankenfreak posted:

The better way to do that would be something like the LP announcement thread in LP where OPs can post to advertise their new thread. That way the burden doesn't lie with one person to keep one big list updated.

I like this idea. Honestly just make this a (grey) forums wide thing and throw up an announcement to get the bookmark people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you read The Traitor Baru Cormorant yet? Its got a similar premise to Goblin Emperor (in this case, a woman from a conquered people enters the imperial bureaucracy to ~change it from the inside~) but is more skeptical of the ability to reform such a system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Start small and specific threads like the gardening thread because they make QCS angry.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

Have you read The Traitor Baru Cormorant yet? Its got a similar premise to Goblin Emperor (in this case, a woman from a conquered people enters the imperial bureaucracy to ~change it from the inside~) but is more skeptical of the ability to reform such a system.

it's on the list. i mostly read Kindle unlimited garbage and web novels and pirated stuff cuz I read too fast. $12 or $16 for a 'real' book is hard to justify when that's usually not even a full day of reading for me lol.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

i read a LOT of fiction and while there's a lot I can recommend on a general book or web novel I liked level there's not much I can recommend and enjoyed the economic or political detail of. It's a detail a lot of authors phone in, or if it well fleshed out, it's written by a liberal and so is fairly infuriating.
i read a shitload of varying degrees of fantasy, most of it trash, but yeah very few are any sort of political-econo type, or it' slargely in the background about rich lords being awful to serfs and dystopia-type but there just as flavoring.

one thing I would recommend is Joe Abercrombie's latest First Law 2.0 (Second Law?), A Little Hatred; it's pretty cspam and a lot of it is all about politico-economic with medieval unionizing and rich cabal of elite and merchantile types brutally owning workers for daring to ask to not eat rat legs, and all about failsons. it's real good and he's gotten a hell of a lot better since his first book The Blade Itself

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can't read his books anymore after the one about the mercenary general getting her revenge lol. i tried with a little hate. he's gotten so good, but too good. i can't take that much relentless realism. i need a little hope to go with my misery

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

i can't read his books anymore after the one about the mercenary general getting her revenge lol. i tried with a little hate. he's gotten so good, but too good. i can't take that much relentless realism. i need a little hope to go with my misery

that's too bad, I think they're fantastic. and Best Served Cold was great. but i get it. it's very heavy on that too-realism, although there is some glimmer of "hope" (often usually brutally dashed but edging onward). unfortunately Abercrombie is really the only one I can think of that really reaches those heights and mixture; most other things i've read I've enjoyed but have nothing "meaningful" (lol) about them other than being the summer blockbuster action flick equivalent

you probably don't need any, but if you do need some then i can recommend a ton of varying degrees of 'trash' fantasy: like Sebastian De Castell's Greatcoats series is great as a fun swashbuckling homeage to Three Musketeers, or Brent Week's Lightbringer, or even Mark Lawrence's Red Sister (Prince of Thorns is good but heavy misery-side). malazan has been my one white-whale that i keep floundering off

i really gotta get back into using my kindle again and probably read more Serious Books for Adults. losing my bus/train commute to work over the pandemic has thrown it off

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
goons mention WoT in the same breath as malazan and its not even funny. Malazan may obviously based off a huge D&D campaign or something but its loving sick. The characters rule, the world rules, etc. By book 3 of WoT i wanted to blow my brains out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
wot is definitely very bad, even by my extremely low standards. generic bethesda gamebyro clothing generator in text format

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
even the most painful segments of malazan (book 6? you run into some sorta wood dark elf segment or some poo poo) i feel thankful for looking back on because they were at least interesting short stories with cool vistas etc. the only think im thankful for in WoT is that shaitans VO is a loving pimp

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

that's too bad, I think they're fantastic. and Best Served Cold was great. but i get it. it's very heavy on that too-realism, although there is some glimmer of "hope" (often usually brutally dashed but edging onward). unfortunately Abercrombie is really the only one I can think of that really reaches those heights and mixture; most other things i've read I've enjoyed but have nothing "meaningful" (lol) about them other than being the summer blockbuster action flick equivalent

you probably don't need any, but if you do need some then i can recommend a ton of varying degrees of 'trash' fantasy: like Sebastian De Castell's Greatcoats series is great as a fun swashbuckling homeage to Three Musketeers, or Brent Week's Lightbringer, or even Mark Lawrence's Red Sister (Prince of Thorns is good but heavy misery-side). malazan has been my one white-whale that i keep floundering off

i really gotta get back into using my kindle again and probably read more Serious Books for Adults. losing my bus/train commute to work over the pandemic has thrown it off

i read all of those lol. well not greatcoats. i seriously read too fast for my own good. if im enjoying it i can easily knock out a 650 page book in a day. usually in one to two sittings. i read The Thousand Names so fast i was sad there was nothing more. it's harder for me to knock out non fiction like that, though, unless I'm really invested. It took me two months to read the last history book I read, and I never finished mievelle's October cuz it just sucked the energy out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tfw only dial up as a child