Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay I got through it pretty easily on my next try after farming dragon fang/ Got a lucky crit with killer bow second shot, got everyone fire resistant. Somehow two of them got reflect though, so the firaga crystal kept getting healed. So I pivoted to tossing a couple of those +20 level potions on the monk and that took care of things.
Thanks, everyone! I now see how beyond busted !chem is. I think this is my first time with hunter and time mage, too. So we're having fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

there's an island near crescent with Prototypes, which drop Dark Matters. I took a few out using Turtle Soups. You don't really need too many Dark Matters though.

Nihilarian posted:

you ever only be able to equip two weapons?

belatedly remembered that my geomancer could equip the bell, but 10 cents to charity is the most use I've ever gotten out of the drat thing anyway

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

:supaburn:

I know the toxx is over, I just wanted to celebrate chumping the bastard.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 24, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

there's an island near crescent with Prototypes, which drop Dark Matters. I took a few out using Turtle Soups. You don't really need too many Dark Matters though.

belatedly remembered that my geomancer could equip the bell, but 10 cents to charity is the most use I've ever gotten out of the drat thing anyway

If the Rune Chime was the legendary weapon instead of the Gaia Bell it would make so much more sense, but I guess they didn't want "Magus Rod" and "Magus Rod for a shittier job" in the same room (despite that being basically the difference between Excalibur and the Holy Lance).

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I can't let TheWonderTrickster have all the fun doing stupid stuff

ultrafilter posted:

It's :toxx: time, but I'm going to do something different this year. Everyone loves quadzerks, but how about quad geomancers or quad red mages? I'll throw in $10 per regular job that someone does a quad run of, and $20 for Freelancer/Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Cannoneer. Some of those runs will be pretty miserable, but it's for a good cause, and let's face it: thread regulars have done worse.

e: No balance patches or randomizers, please. The point of this is to have the vanilla experience.
You forgot one job... Necromancer. The forgotten class that can't even be used in an official fiesta run. I decided to do Quadnecro.

Overall, it's a busted class. In world 1 Oath demolishes everything pretty well early, then you can break rods for everything else, then in World 2 once you start getting Dark Arts it goes from demolishing everything pretty well to obliterating almost everything in your way. For those who haven't played with Necromancer before (almost everyone I'm betting), Dark Arts are like Blue Magic spells that you get for killing certain enemies. Since you aren't supposed to be able to unlock Necromancer until you've already beaten the "gently caress off why are you even here this place sucks" Sealed Temple dungeon all of the Dark Arts enemies are World 2 or later, most being World 3, several being Sealed Temple exclusive enemies.

The other interesting gimmick for Necromancer is that you are innately Undead, so you can't heal using items in battle (you can out of battle though). One of the Dark Arts spells is a Drain that heals you, but it isn't very strong when you actually need it. Instant death spells will also heal you to full. Poison does NOT heal you and you aren't immune to other status effects, so it's mostly just the annoying parts of being Undead. The one exception they give you is that Phoenix Downs bring you back to life in battle. Otherwise some of this would have been impossible.

Hellwind is one of the first Dark Arts you can pick up from Objet d'Art in the Bal basement. It is a magic wind attack that hits all targets with a 190 power, so it is a more powerful Syldra for 38mp. Just like Syldra it is boosted by the Air Knife, and it is the bread and butter of a Quadnecro run.

NED was pretty easy to be honest, just burned him down with Hellwind

Omega was going to be tough, the Chaos Drive (Lightning) Dark Art spell came from the Sealed Temple, the only other thing that I had that could hurt him was Dark Flare which did about 1500 damage. So... off to the Sealed Temple I went.

The Sealed Temple is a pain in the rear end, it's impossible to complete without a Beastmaster and Thief, the bosses are all difficult, it's not a ton of fun when you are limited to one class. Luckily, the enemy I needed wasn't too far in, so I made a quick dip in and out and then back to the void... only to find that at my current levels (50ish) it was only doing about 3k... Time to grind.

The sealed temple is a pain in the rear end, but it has great exp, so I ended up going through most of it anyway just to keep the grind from being too boring. I flipped to Beastmaster and Thief just long enough to get past the blocking points. Hellwind was still ripping through most stuff. Like TheWonderTrickster, I used an 8x exp ROM to speed up the grind to 99 (although NED was killed completely legitimately). The best room I found was the room that has a bunch of Omegas wondering around, so when I hit 99 I decided not to bother going back out and I just killed one of those Omegas instead

Even at 99 this was tricky. Chaos Drive was hitting for about 7k, but even then you've got to deal with Wave Cannon and no healing. I ended up sticking the Assassin's Dagger on Butz because he was the only one without a Gold Hairpin and fishing for instant death procs to heal people up. There was a lot of save state abuse, but I eventually made it through.

Shinryu was comparatively easy. It was mostly annoying because I went back to the Void to do it. I berserked him with the Wonder Rod and then just mowed him down with Hellwind.

That was actually the last thing I did, first I did the unthinkable.

I killed Chaos Enuo

Enuo is essentially Treedeath and NED on steroids. The first phase has Enuo and two non-targetable hands that give him 3 attacks per turn. One of the hands casts Grand Cross and Giga Flare, the other casts a ton of status effect spells to either buff Enuo or debuff you. Enuo himself casts high level spells like Firaga, Meteo, Flare, etc.

On the bright side, Enuo in phase 1 is vulnerable to stop. Similar to Omega, it doesn't last long, but you can lock him down (not the hands though). One of the Dark Arts spells Deep Freeze does ice damage and inflicts stop, so the first phase was just a matter of locking down Enuo and pounding through it as quickly as possible before the hands could do much damage.

Then there's phase 2, which is the NED-like phase. This was tough. He has 60k HP and my hardest hitting spells were doing 3k damage.
Here's the AI script
code:
No Interrupt{
     {Dimension Zero,Meteor,Almagest}
     {Dimension Zero,White Hole,Maelstrom}
     }
{Flare,Holy,Delta Attack}
{Almagest,Almagest,Grand Cross}
{Drain Touch,Deep Freeze,Meltdown}
{L3 Flare,L4 Graviga,L5 Death}
Dimension Zero

Counter(HP Damage){
     alternates between {White Hole,Danse Macabre,Nothing}
     or {Reaper's Sword,Hurricane,Nothing}
     }
Dimension Zero does 5500 damage (9999 if you're in the front row).
Maelstrom would hit the entire party.
I was level 99 so Flare was the only level spell I had to watch out for.

For his counters, Reaper's Sword instantly kills a party member... but I'm Undead! Great! Except it isn't like other instant death attacks, it kills me anyway :negative:
Danse Macabre turns dead party members into Zombies. This never seemed to hit, but I'm not sure why, I definitely saw my characters get zombied at an earlier point in the Sealed Temple. Oh well, no complaints.

I spent most of my time throwing out Phoenix Downs and fishing for Assassin's Dagger procs with save states just to survive, if I had all 4 members up everyone but Butz would use Deep Freeze one at a time to deal with the counters. Eventually I whittled him down and got the kill :clint:

My first Quadruple Crown was fun, I didn't know much about Necromancer before this and I don't think I ever actually stepped foot into the Sealed Temple until now. I don't recommend it unless you are severely broken inside, but it was interesting. It's a shame Necromancer can't be used in official fiesta runs, it's a cool class.

Also...

CourtlyHades296 posted:

EDIT: I don't plan on doing a Sealed Temple toxx. That dungeon is obnoxious even with Time/Mystic/Bard/Cannoneer.

My first run of 2021 will be Random + Fifth Job on RPGE.
Coward!

nrook posted:

:toxx:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.
Oh and I sold 10 legendary weapons

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I thought the Fiesta patch only unlocked the jobs available for the Fiesta, but if Necromancer is there, it's worth $20 too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ultrafilter posted:

I thought the Fiesta patch only unlocked the jobs available for the Fiesta, but if Necromancer is there, it's worth $20 too.

Yeah, it unlocks every job.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Beastmaster, Berserker, Ninja, Dragoon triple crowned for my 1st run! Pretty nice synergy, early on boosted Agility and Strength for Berserker and Beastmaster (I even used Berserk there for a second) and later on Dual Wield shined (double whips = double chance of paralyzing, Dragoon had good damage output with two weapon !Jumps, double Axes of course). 4 Berserkers at the beginning made a bad Liquid Flame, I think it was Level 17 with Mythril Knives and equipping Magic Defense stuff (a lot of it was surviving with single digit HP).

Oh, I decided to get all the treasures as well. I always forget you're required to throw Elixirs at the Magic Pots (for Phoenix Downs and some late game ABP, what a deal). Weirdly enough I missed a couple in Tule (easily gettable in World 3) but I did have a couple crashes and the like so I'm guessing I lost data.

nrook posted:

Fire Lash and Holy Lance were actually decent (less so Fire Lash but it helped in the Great Sea trench), should've just sold off that Assassin's Dagger.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Red Metal posted:

You ever notice how some summons drop items that you have to use before you can summon them? I don't know why that is, but that doesn't mean I can't make a :toxx: out of it!
I pledge $3 for every summon item (Ramuh, Catoblepas, Golem) in your inventory at the end of the game, and an additional $5 per run if you have a Summoner in your party (max $150)

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.
I had Poison Axe and also earlier kept track of poisoned enemies/attacks. Some of these are pretty loose with the boss definition so use your judgement.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I got weirdly lucky in Ghido's Cave and got a buncha Staves of Light so Exdeath in World 2 was just my time mage snapping htem all to just skip through it.

This year I have Time Mage, Ninja, Bard and Dancer and I never got Time Mage or Bard before and I didn't know how effective stop was for most encounters.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

nrook posted:

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I need my Masamune and Holy Lance ok :(

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Golden Goat posted:

I got weirdly lucky in Ghido's Cave and got a buncha Staves of Light so Exdeath in World 2 was just my time mage snapping htem all to just skip through it.

This year I have Time Mage, Ninja, Bard and Dancer and I never got Time Mage or Bard before and I didn't know how effective stop was for most encounters.

If you're playing my rebalance, that would be because I made the Staves of Light and Reflect Rings guaranteed drops!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Galick posted:

If you're playing my rebalance, that would be because I made the Staves of Light and Reflect Rings guaranteed drops!

That expalins everything

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I did it guys. Grand cross berserked my mystic knight after he put on flare blade so that was a thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ramc posted:

I did it guys. Grand cross berserked my mystic knight after he put on flare blade so that was a thing.
:toot:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
monk/monk/thief/black mage classic mode is all suffering, but I killled tyranno without phoenix down etc

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Going through and tallying up legendary weapon toxxes. Thanks to everybody who has participated so far.

I did notice something a little strange, though!

Serene Dragon posted:

Oh right, almost forgot, I sold off 8 of my weapons before venturing into the Void

:thunk:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nrook posted:

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nrook posted:

Going through and tallying up legendary weapon toxxes. Thanks to everybody who has participated so far.

More legendary than the Gaia Bell. :haw:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

nrook posted:

... Lmao I didn't even notice. I did sell 8 legendary weapons that run for sure but I was selling a ton of my other extra weapons at the same time and took the screenshot of the wrong lance oops

Edit: oh, I did have the holy lance there as well. Hmm, what weapon did I miss then...

Edit 2: It was the magus rod, but unfortunately I only have a screenshot of the sell menu with it there, I didn't get the shot of actually selling it. And it was two runs ago for me now so this is it for evidence lol

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 25, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Serene Dragon posted:

... Lmao I didn't even notice. I did sell 8 legendary weapons that run for sure but I was selling a ton of my other extra weapons at the same time and took the screenshot of the wrong lance oops

Edit: oh, I did have the holy lance there as well. Hmm, what weapon did I miss then...

Edit 2: It was the magus rod, but unfortunately I only have a screenshot of the sell menu with it there, I didn't get the shot of actually selling it. And it was two runs ago for me now so this is it for evidence lol

Don’t worry, I believe you :v:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

nrook posted:

Don’t worry, I believe you :v:

:v:

I think my brain does think the partisan is the legendary lance so of course I should get the screenshot of selling it, and I just uploaded the 8 images I had and didn't bother checking them. I sold 8 and I have 8 images good yes correct lol

LynneTheUnlucky
Dec 4, 2013
So my new Pure Chaos run is Freelancer/Monk/Mystic/Dancer. Freelancer and Mystic are two of my favourite classes so I'm pretty stoked about this, plus Equip Ribbons is super nice to have. Monk is there, I guess.

Question: Does the Freelancer have to master Monk to get Monk-strength or is just getting Barehanded enough? Would they have to equip Barehanded to get the strength then?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

LynneTheUnlucky posted:

So my new Pure Chaos run is Freelancer/Monk/Mystic/Dancer. Freelancer and Mystic are two of my favourite classes so I'm pretty stoked about this, plus Equip Ribbons is super nice to have. Monk is there, I guess.

Question: Does the Freelancer have to master Monk to get Monk-strength or is just getting Barehanded enough? Would they have to equip Barehanded to get the strength then?

They'd have to either master the class or equip barehanded, I believe.

LynneTheUnlucky
Dec 4, 2013

Leraika posted:

They'd have to either master the class or equip barehanded, I believe.

That's slightly annoying in terms of the grind, but at least it will make for a super bulky freelancer in the long run. Thanks!

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
For the toxx, selling 11/12 of the weapons, as this run is so lean that I still need the magus rod.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

Still ended up having to use a phoenix down, but Fira spellblade and flame bow do the job just fine.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I can't seem to get anywhere with Neo Exdeath and Ninja/Bard/Dancer/Time Mage currently. I'm not really doing enough damage to form 3 before it sets off Almagest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I can't seem to get anywhere with Neo Exdeath and Ninja/Bard/Dancer/Time Mage currently. I'm not really doing enough damage to form 3 before it sets off Almagest.
Sit on Treedeath for longer and let your Bard buff your party into the stratosphere. The songs you want are Sinewy Etude (PowerSong) in Crescent, Swift Song (SpeedSong) in Castle Surgate, Hero's Ballad (find all the pianos, then go back to the guy in Crescent), and, if you got it, Mana's Paean (missable, unfortunately). There's no clear way to tell when one stat's been buffed to max except by counting ATB ticks (tedious and annoying), so just sit on each song for a couple minutes, whack your bard (and potential other singers) with a weak knife to break them out of the song, then have them play the next one.

Do you have Meteor and Quick? Quick into double-Meteor eats through MP like nobody's business, but it also does loving absurd damage, especially with a fully-buffed Hero's Ballad.

As for strategies for fighting NED himself without sending you on any more fetch quests? Focus down the bottom-middle section first (it uses Almagest), then the top-middle (it uses does the status thingies), then wear down the other two at about the same time. When one dies, blitz down the other, fast, it goes wild casting all kinds of dangerous poo poo.

What level are you?

Complete_Cynic posted:

EDIT: Beaten with a Ninja, fittingly.
I'm very powerful.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

If you have 2 !Singers max out your speed, str and lvl on Treedeath the Ninja should be able to basically melt the Almagest part when you hit NED. Or maybe Mana's Paean and then two !Throwers would work?

EDIT: Beaten with a Ninja, fittingly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

What level are you?

Level 37

Meteor is the only spell I didn't pick up mainly because I just sorta skipped the side dungeons in world 3. I'll try all the song buffs though at tree wizard though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo no wonder you're getting whomped by Almagest. You're expected to be in the mid-40s by that point. It's still doable, but drat.

You really should go get Meteor. Every single enemy in the Deep Sea Trench is Undead, including the bosses, so you can blaze through the entire thing with Requiem spam.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just the stat buffs from singing should be enough, you'll be running circles around NED by that point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

It's still doable, but drat.
That all I need to hear!
I'll try and buff the team first in tree man form. I just always assumed hero's rime would be better then the individual stat songs.

Does haste affect songs buff rate?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Just the stat buffs from singing should be enough, you'll be running circles around NED by that point.

Yeah at 99 agility and hasted (you did buy four pairs of Hermes Sandals, right), each character gets 15 actions before Almagest fires.

If your team can't do 55k damage in 60 actions, something is horribly wrong.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah at 99 agility and hasted (you did buy four pairs of Hermes Sandals, right), each character gets 15 actions before Almagest fires.

If your team can't do 55k damage in 60 actions, something is horribly wrong.

I just use hastega, should I have gotten sandals for everybody?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Golden Goat posted:

I just use hastega, should I have gotten sandals for everybody?

Yes, because they provide four status immunities (Sleep, Slow, Stop, Paralysis) and cannot be dispelled.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Blind / first run, first time actually playing the game even, classic rules

The monk/monk duo were never good, not even in early game did they have any damage output or utility, leaving the black mage to do all the DPS for the entire party and the thief to mostly try to steal things for the black mage.

An side effect of this was that every boss from about the first quarter of the game onwards became a gimmick boss. Ended up using absorb rings, reflects and all sorts of stuff to get through most of world 2 and 3.

Toxxes so they're all recorded in one spot:
-Tyranno without phoenix down
-Sale of 11/12 legendary weapons
-One dead party member at NED
-First playthrough of the game / first run completed

Spades fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 25, 2021

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I refuse extremely good advice!

Having two people buff with singing basically made it work. The first phase of the tree fight he could only kill one character at a time

For Neo the Dancer was getting Sword Dance with dual wield for max damage very frequently and the time mage threw scrolls with the magus rod equipped for 7000+ damage at all parts while the Ninja threw just the rest of the equipment I had laying about.

Lenna died and I just wasn't bothered to revive her since all she was built for was singing and avoiding physical attacks.

I think that's the first time I triple crowned my fiesta run.

E: Straight onto the next run with Knight, Beastmaster, Samurai and Oracle

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Do you have Meteor and Quick? Quick into double-Meteor eats through MP like nobody's business, but it also does loving absurd damage, especially with a fully-buffed Hero's Ballad.

Meteor has a (randomly) fixed Attack and M value: the only thing that affects it is random variance and the target's Magic Defense.