Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer
What maps/modes do you guys want to see? I’d be happy to queue them up on my server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LLo9AhvWE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only play hardcore but the server browser has lots of advanced filters. I have it set to 60hz or greater tick, conquest large, 64 players, no more than 10 slots free and I get a bunch every time, with several with good ping that I can choose from. I usually lean towards the severs that have the most maps available. I haven't gotten a round on Hainan yet, or Propaganda or Sunken Dragon which were all good.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mustang posted:

There's a racist piece of poo poo named Axewolf spamming BF1 servers with racist bullshit. I reported him a few weeks ago and have multiple screenshots and this guy is still at it. He's been in 2 of my matches tonight despite leaving as soon as I noticed his spam.

Anything that can be done to get this guy banned? Reporting him through Origin does nothing and somehow modern Battlefield games lack the functionality to report players???

Distasteful an option as it may be, try tagging ea support on Twitter with screenshots and say something like, can't report this guy in game, is this the sort of behavior EA finds acceptable in its community etc.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021
been dipping back into the last 3 games - all on ps5 due to them being on ps+ or part of some collection and its been a good time.
turns out I really like 4, but it runs like rear end on ps5 - 900p on my nice 65 inch oled tv looks awful. but it looks like theres a BF sale on steam happening and i'm sure my 980ti can handle 4 on my potato pc...

i think i'm gonna drop the 8 bucks and do it. do we have any dedicated servers at the moment?
also i've heard pc is rampant with cheaters - is that still the case with the resurgence?

bemusedchunk fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 25, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's a symptom of making people pay for maps (which, as far as my spotty memory goes, they did in this game?).

So a good 70% of servers or so are basically just vanilla maps because that's what everyone has, guaranteed.

Yup. Back then you bought map packs to get more maps. Or...you didn't and just suffered.

It's why I'm really glad they're making the map packs/expansions free now. It avoids splitting up the player base.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bemusedchunk posted:

also i've heard pc is rampant with cheaters - is that still the case with the resurgence?

I don't recall cheating to ever be that big an issue when I played regularly nor in the few sessions I've had the past couple weeks

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

bemusedchunk posted:

been dipping back into the last 3 games - all on ps5 due to them being on ps+ or part of some collection and its been a good time.
turns out I really like 4, but it runs like rear end on ps5 - 900p on my nice 65 inch oled tv looks awful. but it looks like theres a BF sale on steam happening and i'm sure my 980ti can handle 4 on my potato pc...

i think i'm gonna drop the 8 bucks and do it. do we have any dedicated servers at the moment?

From what I've seen on PC for BF4 the cheating isn't too rampant but definitely steer clear of official servers as they don't have any admins to handle cheaters

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I haven't seen a cheater in Battlefield 4, 1, or V in a few weeks which is has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe the Warzone update for season four pushed them all back there?

Edit: and V was thick with cheaters a few months ago, too.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

jisforjosh posted:

From what I've seen on PC for BF4 the cheating isn't too rampant but definitely steer clear of official servers as they don't have any admins to handle cheaters

ahhh thats a good tip. on console i usually stick with official servers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
There's occasionally 300 ping aimgods with names like □□□□□□□□□ in bf5, but generally speaking the casual and mostly dead nature of the games keeps most of the super obvious cheaters away. But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of bfv cheats will work with bf6 with only minor modifications and we'll see quite a few hackers post release for however long the game is hot poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Watching new Jackfrags BF4 videos is making me miss the old CTS days. Where are all the PC goons at these days?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Kazinsal posted:

Watching new Jackfrags BF4 videos is making me miss the old CTS days. Where are all the PC goons at these days?
Not goons but the main Battlefield Discord at http://www.discord.gg/battlefield is filled with people playing BF4 on PC at all times, who are willing to squad up

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

bemusedchunk posted:

Why does this game chug so badly on ps5? Is it actually doing well and the aspect ratio is just deceiving me that badly?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Believe me, I prayed on it, Hank and God said to me, "Don't do it. " But you know what? I knew better.

e: Wrong thread but everyone needs more peggy hill.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Believe me, I prayed on it, Hank and God said to me, "Don't do it. " But you know what? I knew better.

e: Wrong thread but everyone needs more peggy hill.

Bobby would loving destroy as recon

I'm glad they let you swing around carbines and smg's as recon, I love all the gadgets but I have a genetic inability to snipe. Most of my kills with the P90 are mid to long range. Cannot hit anything using a scope.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 26, 2021

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

This thread: *players going 80+ and 1 in tanks/LAVs*

Me: *constantly running into Silk tier or better pilots*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAp6q1lo-1A

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

jisforjosh posted:

This thread: *players going 80+ and 1 in tanks/LAVs*

Me: *constantly running into Silk tier or better pilots*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAp6q1lo-1A

That's some really good flying. Actually tried a jet for the first time in forever yesterday and it did not go like that video lol

I really miss my old logitech extreme 3d pro stick, because trying to fly with a hotas in a bf game is both incredibly overkill, and really unintuitive when half the buttons are on a throttle component that you really don't want to use for bf jet speed control

Maybe I just gotta suck it up and finally learn to learn how to fly m/kb for bf6 but bleurgh my principles, I'd think I'd rather just not fly

e: got a video from back in the day where i put up a similar kpm but with the rocket pods instead of the jdam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTK7Ja7gY-U, strange to see how much freelook I used instead of third person

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 26, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jokes on everyone going back to BF4. Going to feel like a fish out of water due to the movement system and gunplay of BFV (the only good parts of the game) being the jumping off point for 2042.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

That's some really good flying. Actually tried a jet for the first time in forever yesterday and it did not go like that video lol

I really miss my old logitech extreme 3d pro stick, because trying to fly with a hotas in a bf game is both incredibly overkill, and really unintuitive when half the buttons are on a throttle component that you really don't want to use for bf jet speed control

Maybe I just gotta suck it up and finally learn to learn how to fly m/kb for bf6 but bleurgh my principles, I'd think I'd rather just not fly

e: got a video from back in the day where i put up a similar kpm but with the rocket pods instead of the jdam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTK7Ja7gY-U, strange to see how much freelook I used instead of third person

When bfv and bf1 launched I don’t think certain joysticks worked. It seems like it’s a real low priority for dice.

Realistically you’re probably better off using a gamepad or mkb over a joystick for planes. Or you can gamble on 2042 having actual joystick support and getting a modern joystick like the vkb nxt

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Starting enjoying bf4 again when playing it, but people in it are so cold compared to BF1. Where's the "thank you" after ammo/revive? :(

Also thank god you can turn admin messages off, wtf is going on in some of those servers

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a setting specifically for Admin spam? I just disabled the chatlog all together...

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020

Sab669 posted:

Is there a setting specifically for Admin spam? I just disabled the chatlog all together...

Not that I know of, I only know how to disable the ones that pop up in the middle of the screen. (hide game tutorials I think)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t remember liking DMRs before in BF4 but I do now!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7PljjMlRI

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think one of the things that irks me the most about Battlefield 1 is that they make a big deal out of Behemoths but in truth they're mostly useless, and indeed are a hindrance to the already losing team they're supposed to be helping since they'll be down a couple players who'll be wasting time piloting the silly things instead of being actually helpful

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, I switched to one randomly and nailed a couple people with it right away, I was surprised. It's a good weapon for engineers in open maps, where you might want to pop out of your tank and shoot at an RPG guy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

drrockso20 posted:

I think one of the things that irks me the most about Battlefield 1 is that they make a big deal out of Behemoths but in truth they're mostly useless, and indeed are a hindrance to the already losing team they're supposed to be helping since they'll be down a couple players who'll be wasting time piloting the silly things instead of being actually helpful

For the first few months of the game the behemoths were actually something to respect. It's just that then everyone started to figure out how to kill them really fast and they just evaporated.

Well except the ship. That thing always sucked. The zeppelin was potentially the most powerful but people figured out about a dozen different ways to kill them super fast after about a month. The train was a monster if it was used properly and had infantry support (and you kept DipshitNub69 from getting in thing and driving it straight into the mines the other team set). I never had much experience with the tank.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alkydere posted:

For the first few months of the game the behemoths were actually something to respect. It's just that then everyone started to figure out how to kill them really fast and they just evaporated.

Well except the ship. That thing always sucked. The zeppelin was potentially the most powerful but people figured out about a dozen different ways to kill them super fast after about a month. The train was a monster if it was used properly and had infantry support (and you kept DipshitNub69 from getting in thing and driving it straight into the mines the other team set). I never had much experience with the tank.

Honestly they should either have been invincible or at the very least be able to repair themselves like normal vehicles can

Also the Mortar version of the Artillery Truck can be an absolute monster on the right maps, had a match earlier where I got like a 63:5 k:d ratio where like at least 50 of those were me in the truck and those deaths were all from the beginning of the match before I got in the truck

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I recently went back to BF4 and keep trying to ledge grab, slide, and rest my lmg on my dick. It's pretty lol

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Alkydere posted:

The Zeppelin is absolutely hilarious now if people all switch to Support, equip the Burton LMR and switch to incendiary rounds. The gondolas just melt away

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

jisforjosh posted:

The Zeppelin is absolutely hilarious now if people all switch to Support, equip the Burton LMR and switch to incendiary rounds. The gondolas just melt away

Yeah, the big weakness of the Steel Weenie is that it's a huge target that everyone can always see once it's in play. I would jump on the HMG emplacements and just blast away at the thing non-stop, racking up like +300 hit streaks and multiple kills before I finally had to let the barrel cool off.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This is the kind of YouTube content I miss. Just great amazing Only In Battlefield grade "wait, what the gently caress" moments.

I'm so looking forward to 2042 and so glad 4 is back :unsmith:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Maybe it's my settings idk, but I'm really struggling to hear and track individual footsteps in bf4 compared to 1 and V, it seems super muted, like everyone has the slink perk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I forgot how much fun a semi-auto shotgun with a 4x and a full choke was. Just pepper snipers with buckshot from 100 metres away as they zig zag hoping it'll help.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kibayasu posted:

You know, you're not the only one. A couple of my friends said the same thing which is funny because I remember them making GBS threads on DMRs back in the day and being confused why my top gun was the M39 EMR. :c00l:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, the big weakness of the Steel Weenie is that it's a huge target that everyone can always see once it's in play. I would jump on the HMG emplacements and just blast away at the thing non-stop, racking up like +300 hit streaks and multiple kills before I finally had to let the barrel cool off.

You park down with an ammo box, jump off the gun to fire with your LMG, start the reload and cancel it by jumping back on the gun. Can get a multi thousand chain of damage

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cool finally found a server running some DLC.

Hangar 21 was really fun.

Silk Road feels like absolute rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

jisforjosh posted:

Really hope 2042 brings back LMGs having some utility against aircraft.