Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
my cat is an antivaxxer tho it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
userbinator 2 days ago [–]

The comment is inflammatory and over-the-top, but I can definitely relate to the sentiment and comparison with fascism. For the software industry, "memory safety" is the new form of authoritarianism in disguise. No more jailbreaking, rooting, or running what you want on hardware you rightfully "bought". All in the name of "safety and security". They want to proclaim everything else to be "unsafe" to further their goals of total control.

As the infamous quote says, "Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither."

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

that's not even the real quote!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fisting by many posted:

few days ago and same

i'm not surprised cult of technology posters are anti-vaxx, them and facebook boomers are the only ones who could unironically believe in 5G brain control.

Yes, I imagine their brain process goes:

- Computers are programmable. i can easily get a square on the screen and make it do stuff when i was learning. programming gives me miraculous power over the machine

- Genetics is like machine code but for humans!!!!! humans are machines

- Therefore, geneticists can have unimpeded miraculous power over the human body!!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Plorkyeran posted:

userbinator 2 days ago [–]

The comment is inflammatory and over-the-top, but I can definitely relate to the sentiment and comparison with fascism. For the software industry, "memory safety" is the new form of authoritarianism in disguise. No more jailbreaking, rooting, or running what you want on hardware you rightfully "bought". All in the name of "safety and security". They want to proclaim everything else to be "unsafe" to further their goals of total control.

As the infamous quote says, "Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither."

sigh

i guess i am learning Rust just to distance myself from these fuckets

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That post took a real left turn in my brain when they first mentioned memory safety

mystes
May 31, 2006

The phrasing is very HN-ish, but the idea that it's bad for companies to do things to close security vulnerabilities because it prevents you from jailbreaking sounds more like a dumb take you would have seen on slashdot during its heyday.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 21, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

an admitted sexual predator has posted to hn a 'i got cancelled' post and the hackers are eating it up

LegitShady 14 minutes ago [–]

I asked you what that means to you, not what it means to him.
I don't think hitting on woman or convincing them to have sex is sexual predation. 'pressuring woman for sex' can mean many things. People under attack by a mob do many stupid things, including thinking that 'admitting and apologizing' will somehow stop that abuse.
You accused him of being a sexual predator. What does that mean to you? how do you know what happened meets any definition of that word to you? Don't take these pressured confessions of wrongdoing as credible - they're people desperate to save their life. They may say anything to do so.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
removed this post because it seemed less funny and plainly dispiriting

xtal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 22, 2021

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
One idea I have is to use a ML recommendation model that would use theological preferences as inputs. The trick would be how to personalize that model for a given user before knowing what content they want or would be put off by. Perhaps that could be part of the onboarding process though.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
Syzygies 6 hours ago [–]

Dunno what I said the last time a call violated the do-not-call list and woke me. They actually called back later to tell me how shook up they were, and that they'd been discussing my response with their lawyers.

I don't see a difference between kidnapping one person for a week, and taking ten seconds away from 56,874 people. I'd support similar penalties.

[...]

(my note: yeah, i removed the remainder but it was kind of irrelevant; the first part alone is enough to warrant posting here)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

epitaph posted:

Syzygies 6 hours ago [–]

Dunno what I said the last time a call violated the do-not-call list and woke me. They actually called back later to tell me how shook up they were, and that they'd been discussing my response with their lawyers.

I don't see a difference between kidnapping one person for a week, and taking ten seconds away from 56,874 people. I'd support similar penalties.

[...]

(my note: yeah, i removed the remainder but it was kind of irrelevant; the first part alone is enough to warrant posting here)

yikes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

epitaph posted:

Syzygies 6 hours ago [–]

[...]

consider that most kidnappings are perpetrated by loved ones and you can easily see why hackernews aren’t worried about being involved in one

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

xwolfi 5 hours ago [–]

This cancel culture thing where a few negative cancels all the good you could have done is really weird.

Voltaire is racist, Washington had slaves, this or that twiteroo said 10 years ago some kind of sorry thing, McAfee killed and frauded.

Look it's all kinda true and all kinda irrelevant. People are more than the 10% of the time they sinned. I sure have sinned, and I sure hope you'll still find me valuable as a human.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Qwertycoatl posted:

xwolfi 5 hours ago [–]

This cancel culture thing where a few negative cancels all the good you could have done is really weird.

Voltaire is racist, Washington had slaves, this or that twiteroo said 10 years ago some kind of sorry thing, McAfee killed and frauded.

Look it's all kinda true and all kinda irrelevant. People are more than the 10% of the time they sinned. I sure have sinned, and I sure hope you'll still find me valuable as a human.

extremely suspicious when someone says they have sinned when they previously explicitly include "murder" in the sin department

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sure Hans Reiser killed his wife but that’s just 10% of his life’s work, history should judge him on the merits of his bad file system

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Just a little slavery, no more than my alloted Sin Quota.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Qwertycoatl posted:

xwolfi 5 hours ago [–]

Yes, we shouldn't ignore McAfee's good contributions to the world, such as.. lovely antivirus software, doing all the cocaine, and grooming a new generation of cryptocurrency marks.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mrmcd posted:

Yes, we shouldn't ignore McAfee's good contributions to the world, such as.. lovely antivirus software, doing all the cocaine, and grooming a new generation of cryptocurrency marks.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1078845703340867584

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Re: police quitting in record numbers over the past year:

tryingtogetback 24 minutes ago [–]

Maybe it's finally the time for private sector to step in?
Privately funded regional and/or local (HOA-funded) police departments that are immune to political games with funding that's independent from political trends. Private security startups must be working in this area, right?

Just take a look what amazon is doing to shipping industry, how well researched and optimized their deliveries are. Policing is no different (infinite potential for optimizations and innovations) given that private entities (not government) are managing it and (most importantly) are accountable for it.

still upvoted as of my posting this :shepface:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hate it when people let voltaire's racism and connections to slavery get in the way of his good work on... the fundamental human right to freedom?!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kitten smoothie posted:

sure Hans Reiser killed his wife but that’s just 10% of his life’s work, history should judge him on the merits of his bad file system

ReiserFS is the only filesystem that has ever caused data loss for me, that wasn't due to a dying disk.

It just decided to completely irreparably gently caress itself one day. So par for the course, really.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

(HOA-funded) police departments

the old ladies in the neighborhood bridge club who control the HOA board can already foreclose on your house, great let’s give them guns too

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

tiahura 37 minutes ago [–]

“Even though these problems are societal, not really caused by the minorities themselves but rather lack of opportunities etc”
That’s the line of thinking that keeps many of them in that situation. We need to be honest -African American culture is largely dysfunctional and self-destructive. 120 years ago my ancestors were dirt poor, they didn’t have “equitable” opportunities in education, housing, or employment, yet they managed to not go around shooting each other, having children out of wedlock, or abusing drugs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

mrmcd posted:

i noticed that exactly zero of the people running to mcafee's defense actually listed what any of those good things are that we should be remembering

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

he made a lot of lovely lulz and isn’t that payment enough

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

something about ground penetrating radar unable to melt steel beams

defaultname 4 hours ago [–]

They didn't find 751 unmarked graves. Just as they didn't find 215 graves at Kamloops. These numbers are in all probability many multiples exaggerated over the reality.
And the catch 22 is that any actual anthropological analysis is going to be restricted by the very group publishing the exaggerated numbers. So expect at the next location for it to be...why not 10,000?
The methodology to derive these numbers borders on farcical.
However we know that loads of children died at these facilities. Tragically. It has never been secret. It never had to be secret, sadly because native children were considered effectively expendable. That is the pox. The current culture of, effectively, horseshit isn't making it better.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

tiahura 37 minutes ago [–]

“Even though these problems are societal, not really caused by the minorities themselves but rather lack of opportunities etc”
That’s the line of thinking that keeps many of them in that situation. We need to be honest -African American culture is largely dysfunctional and self-destructive. 120 years ago my ancestors were dirt poor, they didn’t have “equitable” opportunities in education, housing, or employment, yet they managed to not go around shooting each other, having children out of wedlock, or abusing drugs.

i hope someone kicks hn poster tiahura down a storm drain

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Descendent 47 will avenge him

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i hope someone kicks hn poster tiahura down a storm drain

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fallingknife 40 minutes ago [–]

> but doctors can't always predict this and aren't perfect decision making machines
So mass screen healthy people, collect the data, run models, and get better at it. People like you would rather not try, and this is the same reaction I get from doctors. Applying the same tech that we use to improve ad targeting to disease prediction is a no brainer to anyone whose cushy job doesn't depend on the current medieval state of medical technology.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a/b testing giving bypass operations should turn up some interesting data

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

This is the law functioning as intended. Thiel's case is a one-in-100-million+ event. He may have the only Roth IRA in existence that's valued at over $5 billion. But he didn't do it by exploiting some sort of "loophole" or paying high-priced accountants to shield his assets in foreign entities offshore. He put his investments in a Roth IRA just like any of you can do. The only difference is his investments were in the top 0.0001% in terms of performance. That's generally how people get to be billionaires.

And that's not even to mention that the assets in a Roth IRA are essentially worthless to him - he's not old enough to make withdrawals or take distributions tax-free and you can't borrow against a Roth IRA. The funds are essentially unavailable to him for years to come unless he wants to pay taxes and penalties.

Again - this isn't a tax dodge. This is someone who used the law exactly as intended without any illegal or shady dealings and happened to be incredibly fortunate.

The whole article is a hit piece designed to get whip people into a furor. And lately I've been noticing propublica publishing a lot of those.

quote:

What is the goal here: to make revenue for the government or to punish successful investors?

Thiel paid taxes on his Roth IRA - when he put the money in. As a result, the government didn't have to wait till he was 59.5 years old to get their cut. Thiel for his part was willing to use that money for risky investments. As in, the cash deposited in that account could have well gone to $0 if not for the fact that Thiel is a gifted investor. In that case, the IRA would have been worth nothing but the government would have still gotten their cut ahead of time.

Management and mitigation of risk - both for individuals AND the government - is literally the reason Roth IRAs exist. This is indeed the law working absolutely as intended.

Anyone could follow the Thiel strategy, except for the fact that ordinary Americans are forbidden from investing in risky investments because they're deemed too stupid by that same government and that Thiel is probably a better investor than just about anyone else.

quote:

Startup founders take a lot of risk. There is a big chance his investment could have been zero. It is strange that ProPublica does not understand this basic concept.

Where is their report on millions of Roth accounts that went to zero?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a gifted investor

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I thought it was under reported when Romney had tens of millions in his Roth during the campaign, but good ole thiel makes that look reasonable.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PCjr sidecar posted:

I thought it was under reported when Romney had tens of millions in his Roth during the campaign, but good ole thiel makes that look reasonable.

strapping your dog to the roof of a station wagon is a bit more sensational

but yeah, the loving chutzpah of thiel here is staggering, very unsurprised to see hn stanning for it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
undervaluing assets so you can squeeze as many as possible into a roth contribution is a pretty well-known dodge, and i think they did investigate him for it, but i guess they couldn't make it stick

the basic problem with roth iras is that, even if you take the basic goal as a good thing, the way they're designed is extremely brittle against abuse. there's a bunch of restrictions that are supposed to protect against rich people using them and against protecting tons of assets in them, but if you can manage to get around those legally, there's unlimited upside. it would make a lot more sense if they just had a lifetime cap on how much gain you could shield from tax. the idea is to let people put $2000 a year away and have it collect gains tax-free, so figure out how much total gain you'd have if someone put exactly $2000 into it every year for forty years and got some really high rate of gain like 10%, and cap it at that. that would be around $900k, so let's round it up to a million. so effectively you can avoid paying something like 250k in tax. that's a really generous benefit but now it robustly protects against somebody like thiel protecting billions of dollars in gains

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Known to those who know I guess. I’ve gone all over the IRA rules and “load up on sweetheart stock deals” never occurred to me as a strategy

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

beebeepka 20 minutes ago [–]

What I am saying is that Manning was forced to take that path
I actually have had sex, multiple times, with trans people. Careful with your assumptions. I find your response offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I, a sex haver,