Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got a photo of that? Curious to see how that works in that dash.

As mentioned, it's a relatively new Metra kit that replaces the center stack trim with one meant for a double din receiver. Apologies for the poo poo photo, I had to dig out my iPhone 6 to take a photo with my iPhone 12 connected:

Mine is an Alpine ILX-W650 which is the least expensive capacitive touchscreen CarPlay receiver available (at the time, there may be others now). I can't stand resistive displays, so that capacitive was a must-have. It's also very shallow because it doesn't play discs, so I paired it with the KTA-450 amp that snaps onto the back and still fits nicely in the dash. I replaced the front door speakers with a set from PowerBass but kept the Focals that came in the rear soundbar. The previous owner also left what turned out to be a nice amp under the rear seat, so I have that running a PowerBass down-firing sub that sits in the rear cargo area. I wanted more bass but didn't want a huge box taking up room. This one is quickly removable if I need more space and it sounds great for the size and price.

The only downside of the ILX-W650 is that it has no physical volume knob. Turning down the music requires you to take your eyes off the road and find these two little touch-sensitive buttons on the face of the radio. I thought I'd get used to it, but I never did. So I did a bunch of searching and found this guy from Metra that adds steering wheel controls on an ugly little remote. Alpine doesn't include or even make a remote that works with this receiver, but it does have a remote input on the back, so this Axxess thing works with a little bit of wiring. It's ugly and does the bare minimum that I wanted (volume up/down and track forward/back), but it works. Apparently the top and bottom buttons can be mapped to other functions, but the W650 doesn't support that either. It comes with a rubber strap and an adhesive strip to attach it to the wheel, but I'm using a velcro strap because I didn't want to adhere anything to the leather steering wheel I put in the Jeep. (Ignore the coiled wire in the photo, that's the Lightning cable that connects my iPhone to the Alpine.)

I bought the wheel online and swapped my cruise controls and airbag to it. Replaced the clock spring while I was in there, too, because why not. I should write up a list of everything I've done to this Jeep so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

edit: Unless you meant the Audi thing, but if I recall correctly, you own more Jeeps than Audis :D

Nope, definitely the Jeep. TJs and XJs have fairly similar dash setups.

Good to see both of them. I might eventually swap mine out for an Android Auto capable head unit, though I obviously have a higher theft risk with the whole "zippered soft top" going on.

I also definitely need a new steering wheel for it too, mine is doing that thing where the outside part has separated from the core so it's all squishy feeling and twists around on you.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Voltage posted:

I definitely did something stupid today

This fucks

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Krakkles posted:

edit: Unless you meant the Audi thing, but if I recall correctly, you own more Jeeps than Audis :D

I'm sure nobody cares, but here are install pics from the Audi. This took about 5 hours from start to finish, but I could probably do it quicker a second time around. I was a bit nervous since the included instructions were basically just the jpeg you see below and a lot of people have trouble with them after install, but mine went in without any problems.

The phone mount is a combination of a Rennline mount and a Spigen MagSafe mount from Amazon and an Apple MagSafe charger.

Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. The 10.25" screen is about the same size as the factory screen in my B9 allroad, but it doesn't stick out of the dash as tall and look as much like it was an afterthought.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Way back in the 90s Sony used to do a little extra stalk thing you could stick to the steering column - pity those don't seem to be around any more.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

dissss posted:

Way back in the 90s Sony used to do a little extra stalk thing you could stick to the steering column - pity those don't seem to be around any more.

Metra makes one that duplicates the function of the remote I got: Axxess OESWC-STALK Add-On Steering Wheel Control Stalk http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWCSTALK

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Washed our cars for the first time in almost a year, since my outdoor spigot broke last Fall and didn't get repaired until recently. A few hours later I hit the highway to get to a job by the Chesapeake Bay and now the front is full of cicadas again. So I shot the rear.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I liked the Stinger when it came out, and even so it's still growing on me. I want blue, but that yellow is delightfully obnoxious. I'd have to black out or match the silly fender vent, though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Darchangel posted:

I liked the Stinger when it came out, and even so it's still growing on me. I want blue, but that yellow is delightfully obnoxious. I'd have to black out or match the silly fender vent, though.

I'm pretty sure that is black, or at least relatively dark. I just didn't have the time to get in every nook and cranny since I also had to wash another car then power wash a huge brick wall in one morning. Definitely looks a lot less obvious in the photo here if that helps: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/stinger/2018/2018-kia-stinger-gt-long-term-verdict/

On the other hand, the edges of the front grille are super obvious where it's solid plastic and where it's an actual grille that air goes into. Of course, just about every other manufacturer is even worse in terms of front grille surface area : actual airflow ratio.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, yeah, it's just a glossy black. Makes it look like chrome from the angle.
I'd much prefer body color, but black is better than chrome.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mazda red best red

(Parking lot was completely empty, I don’t usually park like a dick)

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

hey my car is green too. Verdigris/Tropic green!

hey green wagon buddy

today we brought home this green '98 V70 for a song

its a 5 speed too :dance:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
that thing is pimp

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
parking outside because of the ABS recall. At least my driveway camera covers it perfectly and I had a car wash yesterday.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I'm cheating a bit because this isn't my car, but I bought it and am calling that close enough. Today I got to do something I've been wanting to do for a couple years now - gift my dad a truck.

Many, many years ago (before I was born) my dad had an IH Scout 800. By all accounts he loved that thing, has plenty of fun stories about going on adventures in it and still recalls it from time to time. For whatever reason he sold it to a guy at work one day and that was that.

Fast forward multiple decades and I came across this Scout II a couple weeks back. While it's newer and bigger than the one he had, it still fits the bill pretty well. It came home with me that day and got stashed away until a Father's Day reveal earlier today.

(Excuse the mediocre pictures from the previous owner. I forgot to take my own)

It certainly needs work, but it's basically all there and "ran when parked" years ago. Joke's on my dad though - I bought it as much for him to have as I did for a project for use to spend time together on. I'm pretty pumped and can't wait to realize we're in way over our heads.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

You’re a good egg. That’s an incredible gift.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Way to go dude that's a great looking truck.

Look under the front of the engine. Does it have one of these bars just below the crank? https://anythingscout.com/products/2991-straight-steer-brace-scout-ii

If not, PM me your address and I'll ship you one, I've got a spare.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

LeeMajors posted:

You’re a good egg. That’s an incredible gift.

Thanks!

Mustache Ride posted:

Way to go dude that's a great looking truck.

Look under the front of the engine. Does it have one of these bars just below the crank? https://anythingscout.com/products/2991-straight-steer-brace-scout-ii

If not, PM me your address and I'll ship you one, I've got a spare.

Whoa, it does not and I was just reading about those earlier. You're awesome and PM on the way. Extra thanks!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

WTFBEES posted:

I'm cheating a bit because this isn't my car, but I bought it and am calling that close enough. Today I got to do something I've been wanting to do for a couple years now - gift my dad a truck.

Many, many years ago (before I was born) my dad had an IH Scout 800. By all accounts he loved that thing, has plenty of fun stories about going on adventures in it and still recalls it from time to time. For whatever reason he sold it to a guy at work one day and that was that.

Fast forward multiple decades and I came across this Scout II a couple weeks back. While it's newer and bigger than the one he had, it still fits the bill pretty well. It came home with me that day and got stashed away until a Father's Day reveal earlier today.

That's not a gift! That's a burden!

You're a good son. That's a fantastic idea. If your goal is to spend quality time together working on it, then you will not be disappointed.

(I bought my truck with the idea it was a learning tool for anything car related and I have touched nearly every bolt on it.... by necessity)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got the chance to rent a 2021 Supra for the weekend. The 3.0 version. And it was amazing.

I'd like to apologize for the poo poo I've talked about this car. People on the Internet are retarded. Myself included.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

dema posted:

Got the chance to rent a 2021 Supra for the weekend. The 3.0 version. And it was amazing.

I'd like to apologize for the poo poo I've talked about this car. People on the Internet are retarded. Myself included.

Looks like an amazing weekend. Can you say more about the car? What about the experience contradicts Internet wisdom

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I did a thing.

I got sick of the tree above making GBS threads pollen and leaves all over it all the time.

For reference: the neighbour’s Audi next to it which has been parked for a few weeks awaiting repair:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Crime Vic - so named because of what the upfitters did to the loving wiring (they didn't use any of the factory-provided wiring you get on a P71 to tie into lights or power, just vampire tapped everything)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Picked up this ‘95 Ranger today for camp/dirty hauling and my son and I spent a couple of hours cleaning the interior and taking questionable stickers off. It’s a bit redneck and needs a couple of small things like a muffler, a window motor/regulator (Ford!!!!), and a driver side seat adjustment lever would be nice (not to mention a non-ripped seat), but overall it’s pretty OK. It’s a 4.0 4x4 with a 5-speed, 3” body lift and 3” suspension lift, new 33” MT tires, new clutch, new radiator, and some other new stuff I can’t remember.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 23, 2021

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just snagged this '07 ridgeline for nearly nothing - 135k miles, and the only issues I found were no AC, compressor does not kick on it seems, needs tires before winter, and had to slap in a battery,
but it drives great and it had a new transfer case put in last year. It's seriously dirty inside but no rips or tears, spent most of the day yesterday cleaning it, but I'll probably end up pulling the front seats out and do a full carpet shampoo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

Just snagged this '07 ridgeline for nearly nothing - 135k miles, and the only issues I found were no AC, compressor does not kick on it seems, needs tires before winter, and had to slap in a battery,
but it drives great and it had a new transfer case put in last year. It's seriously dirty inside but no rips or tears, spent most of the day yesterday cleaning it, but I'll probably end up pulling the front seats out and do a full carpet shampoo.

STOP STEALING MY NEPA TRUCK THUNDER

But seriously, a good cleaning goes such a long way on a used vehicle. Makes it feel so much less grody. We spent two hours vacuuming and wiping down the fordfuckinranger yesterday and it’s like a new truck.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I drove nearly 1500 miles last week to look at potential wedding venues and got some decent areas for photographs.

Also been spending far too much time playing with an app that uses machine learning to edit photos into looking like various artwork styles. I might get some photos from my road trips together and make a little scrapbook or something.

It’s called Prisma if anyone wants a go. It can be used for free but you have to click through a bit of bullshit to get to it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

After swearing I would never own a black on black car for daily use, deciding I was going to stick to EV for commuting duty and was going to stick to formula and sports racers for track use I bought this.

2006 Cayman S manual with 92.6k miles which will be my daily and see a couple track days a year. I was looking at 70's 911s but the prices are a bit more than I felt comfortable spending for a 50 year old car and this will probably be a better commuter.

edit: we now have flat 6, inline 6 and V6 engine configurations

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 26, 2021

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat, did I really get a THIRD car in about a month?? Up to 5 now, I really do have clinical automotive insanity...

Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972306

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Picked up this ‘95 Ranger today for camp/dirty hauling and my son and I spent a couple of hours cleaning the interior and taking questionable stickers off. It’s a bit redneck and needs a couple of small things like a muffler, a window motor/regulator (Ford!!!!), and a driver side seat adjustment lever would be nice (not to mention a non-ripped seat), but overall it’s pretty OK. It’s a 4.0 4x4 with a 5-speed, 3” body lift and 3” suspension lift, new 33” MT tires, new clutch, new radiator, and some other new stuff I can’t remember.

Very nice. I had a '96 4.0 4x4 5-speed, it was a Good Truck (untiil the transmission peed out silver and it went away). Challenge: put 4 adults into that cab, two on the inwards-facing jump seats and two on the front split-bench. Then drive for at least 15 minutes through traffic. I did it, do not recommend. And never put a child under 12 years old in that backseat, there's a bunch of solid evidence that those seats kill children if the vehicle gets into any kind of collision, particularly a roll-over.
I'd be surprised if you can't find a reasonable replacement for that driver's seat in a local junkyard.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

ExecuDork posted:

Very nice. I had a '96 4.0 4x4 5-speed, it was a Good Truck (untiil the transmission peed out silver and it went away). Challenge: put 4 adults into that cab, two on the inwards-facing jump seats and two on the front split-bench. Then drive for at least 15 minutes through traffic. I did it, do not recommend. And never put a child under 12 years old in that backseat, there's a bunch of solid evidence that those seats kill children if the vehicle gets into any kind of collision, particularly a roll-over.
I'd be surprised if you can't find a reasonable replacement for that driver's seat in a local junkyard.

Backseat is mostly subs and my youngest is 12 so that works out!

Hand-stitching > junkyard seat

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
hello

happy fourth :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

willroc7 posted:

hello

happy fourth :)

Your burnout gif didn't load for me. :(

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

did some sight seeing this holiday weekend.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Bought a truck that's older than me. '86 V6 2WD

definitely a fixer upper mechanically, which should be a fun learning experience, but runs well enough already to make the odd trip to Lowe's

I'm not touching that paint, it rules

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Late Fees posted:

I'm not touching that paint, it rules

Patina

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hi guys, first time in here because, at age 34, it's the first time I've actually owned a vehicle to post about. I learned to drive at like 12 (postwar Jeep Willys and '86 F-250 on the farm), got my license at 16, at which point, my parents, who are the drive-cars-into-ground-and-keep-them-forever type, assigned me one of their old cars ('88 735i manual that I still miss), and then my husband's had a car for most of our relationship, so yeah, I've literally never owned my own car until now.

Our current situation is that we have a huge fixer upper Victorian to work on and a compact sedan isn't really cutting it. We didn't need a second car so much as a work vehicle, so I bought a 2021 F-150 XLT:

Bonus pic with cattes:

(I'll be able to get some wilderness glam shots in the coming weeks)

Never expected my first vehicle would be a pickup. My original plan for a first vehicle was to get a new Ford Escape, which was my favorite small SUV - it looked great in a truck-like way and was also a hybrid - but then 2013 happened and they turned it into a gross lovely crossover and at the time I wasn't in the financial position to rush in and grab a remaining 2012 model. I'm still extremely bitter about this and it has fueled my enduring, seething hatred for crossovers in general.

But the F-150 is great and I love it and it blows my mind how cushy and high tech trucks have gotten. Looking really forward to just having a truck around again.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Hell yeah! Super Cab, best cab. The rear doors are amazing aren't they?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Queen Victorian posted:

But the F-150 is great and I love it and it blows my mind how cushy and high tech trucks have gotten. Looking really forward to just having a truck around again.

It's crazy to me. I guess performance is the same, since a modern Camry would blow the doors off just about every car 25+ years old. But I would absolutely love to show a modern pickup to a blue-collar worker in the 30s or 40s and tell them that this is a work truck from the 21st century. It's like a goddamn spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

McTinkerson posted:

Hell yeah! Super Cab, best cab. The rear doors are amazing aren't they?

They seriously are! These seem much improved since the ones in my dad's 2000 Silverado, which could be slightly awkward (or maybe it was just my mom being bad at them) and where the windows just swung out a couple inches and didn't actually roll down like these do.

The Super Cab is ideal for us. I wanted the extra cab space for additional seating and stowing valuables as well as the 6.5' bed, but I also need to be able to regularly parallel park this thing (we do not have off-street parking). The full crew cab (especially with the 6.5' bed) was Too Much, but also way more common - out of the two dozen or so trucks at the dealership, the one I bought was the only one that wasn't crew cab.

Ror posted:

It's crazy to me. I guess performance is the same, since a modern Camry would blow the doors off just about every car 25+ years old. But I would absolutely love to show a modern pickup to a blue-collar worker in the 30s or 40s and tell them that this is a work truck from the 21st century. It's like a goddamn spaceship.

I got a taste of the modern cushy truck while driving my dad's current truck (recent model year monster diesel GMC) a while back, but I figured all the cushiness was part of it being some high trim rich boomer edition.

Also that'd be something to behold. Old trucks are awesome but driving them sucks so much. I had the dubious pleasure of driving around my former boss's 1949 F4 stock truck and it was totally awful (in a perversely fun sort of way, though). The old F-250 of my childhood was plenty nice to drive (power steering and power brakes!), but the luxury features were, like, air conditioning and FM radio.