Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

doublespace
windows media center
that thing in windows media player where you had a bunch of licenses to janitor with your music collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

hirens boot cd
bartPE

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ERD Commander
Microsoft Dart
Geek Squad MRI BDE

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gentle Autist posted:

doublespace
windows media center
that thing in windows media player where you had a bunch of licenses to janitor with your music collection

playsforsure

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
windows mobile device manager

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Every single cellphone model in the before times having their own build variant of whatever dumb game it was you made

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

carry on then posted:

playsforsure

Sony netMD, that would take your own MP3 files and drm wrap them, as if anyone else would even want them after the codec cut them down to like 9Kbps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

you can still buy sensors with this output configuration

i guess they have the advantage of only having two terminals for both power and output signal

e: ^^^ lol nice timing

4-20 ma poo poo owns

you can get some heckin power supplies that let you do multi-km runs on cheap wire. Flipside is that it is gonna run a hundred volts or so on the wire

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gentle Autist posted:

doublespace
windows media center

media center was great and way ahead of its time

also fun to think of how it’s basically the inspiration for the entire future microsoft design language from zune through winpho and windows 8 up to now

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

i unironically love when you come across an old open source project that lost relevance in 2005, and it’s still getting daily updates

it's a metaphor for life

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jesus WEP posted:

i unironically love when you come across an old open source project that lost relevance in 2005, and it’s still getting daily updates

same; when an oss project is relevant it just means it ends up being used (but not supported) by bigtech and a have bug tracker filled with hostile users

im happy for you, openindiana guy; just trucking along doing something because you want to

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

enough about Perl though

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

kitten smoothie posted:

Sony netMD, that would take your own MP3 files and drm wrap them, as if anyone else would even want them after the codec cut them down to like 9Kbps

that was absolutely some peak lomarf

rip minidisc

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have a curved TV and it's fine, gently caress the haters

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
3D Televisions

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
gopher protocol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
memory-mapped I/O

like why would you want any sort of intelligent asynchronous channel abstraction at the hardware level, just throw some registers in some unused address space and go to town on them

what’s best is if there’s only a couple registers actually in the memory map, which you have to use to access the actual registers in the I/O device

especially if there are timing constraints

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

the worst is that incredibly essential software to do some obscure thing that’s the only program of its kind and it hasn’t seen an update since 2014.

the retrogaming world is full of that poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have a curved TV and it's fine, gently caress the haters

yeah right. noone has one of those.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the worst is that incredibly essential software to do some obscure thing that’s the only program of its kind and it hasn’t seen an update since 2014.

the retrogaming world is full of that poo poo

and it hasn’t seen an update since 2014 despite a whole ton of development having been done on it by a couple obsessive weirdos whose response to a request for binaries is to berate you for not just building the latest source

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it should be illegal to have a GitHub repo without a nightly buildbot running

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

eschaton posted:

memory-mapped I/O

this is still how everything works tho.

there are layers to hide it from you, but it’s all memory mapped io all the way down

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

irq conflicts.

if i remember right, i kept the modem on irq 3, the sound card on 5, and the serial mouse on 9.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hang on let me just set up a full ci/cd platform for my fart app that i won't touch ever again

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

"100% IBM PC Compatible" in software system requirements

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
the original iphone Bluetooth headset

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

President Beep posted:

yeah right. noone has one of those.

Outrageous accusations itt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

carry on then posted:

hang on let me just set up a full ci/cd platform for my fart app that i won't touch ever again

that’s the idea, yeah

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

irpoweroutlet posted:

the original iphone Bluetooth headset

oh wow i forgot abou those

in my experience, there were two kinds of dudes who had bt earplugs: one was the virgin business guy & the other was the chad manual laborer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

srs the construction guys needed hands free, the suit & tie motherfuckers never did

plain as day

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the audi driving real estate agent.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just lol at wearing a headset when not talking outside the construction industry

pudgy business dudes all looking like saul goodman

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
can we all agree that these were the absolute worst ones

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dont those have like great battery life though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably only about as good as modern airpods or whatever because those giant things were using ancient Bluetooth stack and early power hungry wireless chips.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i had a buddy with those that would keep it tucked under a collared shirt which looked slick, but they were goofy as hell looking otherwise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they remind me of the cab drivers that have to stay on the phone with their wives all day to keep convincing them that they're not out cheating on them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

they remind me of the cab drivers that have to stay on the phone with their wives all day to keep convincing them that they're not out cheating on them lol

lmao what