Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The double-trigger is specifically because they are taxed exactly as if they just gave you money, and getting taxed on something that you can't sell yet causes people liquidity issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

The double-trigger is specifically because they are taxed exactly as if they just gave you money, and getting taxed on something that you can't sell yet causes people liquidity issues.

Yeah I understand how it works, my point was mostly that from the angle of someone not well versed in such things, the more relevant angle IMO is “ok my job gives me RSUs what are tax implications of this” and not the lower level “what are tax implications of an RSU vesting”; the former seems more appropriate because if you aren’t familiar with RSU taxation you are likely to also not be familiar with how vesting can vary between companies and could be surprised by that.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I wish I could just liquidate automatically instead of having to sell whenever they decide to actually show up in my account and have to worry about 2 days of gains/losses or whatever. But at least they do automatically and immediately sell/claw back shares to cover taxes for me up front on the income event.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If we’re talking salarychat here, the offer I just signed last month was $185K base + 15% bonus target + $480K in RSUs vested over 4 years (straight out, not like Amazon 5/15/40/40). $50K signing bonus. This is at a FAANG-lite type company where a good chunk of my coworkers seem to be ex Google, Apple, or FB.

New title is senior, I got downleveled from staff engineer when making the jump. Prior job paid $175K base with 15% bonus and no equity.

I did not need to grind leetcode for this or the previous job.

I’m a mobile engineer, doing Android. 8 years full time experience with mobile, 18 as a developer.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

If we’re talking salarychat here

I'm a senior at a FAANG, but not at one of the high cost of living offices.

I'm at $156k base + 15% bonus target (historically this has actually worked out to ~20%).
I've been here more than 4 years so I've got multiple RSU refreshes that roll over so I'm not sure what the initial grants add up to at this point, at current prices my unvested equity is about $430k but that's front loaded because some of the RSUs for future years haven't been granted yet.
At current prices (and with what has already vested) about $200k in equity will vest this year.

I'm a backend engineer doing mostly C++ stuff, 4 years here, 14 years total experience.
Prior to this I was making ~$100k total at a financial services company.

I spent about 4-6 weeks grinding leetcode and had a lucky draw in the algorithm lottery but it paid off, but it very easily could have gone the other way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm a "senior" mobile app dev at a fully-remote ~40 person company that "only hires seniors", pulling down $160k base with no bonus and some presumably-worthless options. Been here less than 2 years, and I have 6 years of professional dev experience.

Previous job was at a not-remote client services for like $70k base, no equity, sporadic bonus.

It's weird simultaneously feeling grossly overpaid and knowing that 2x-3x compensation is well within reach.

edit for location: I'm in Canada, company is in USA.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 25, 2021

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

pokeyman posted:

It's weird simultaneously feeling grossly overpaid and knowing that 2x-3x compensation is well within reach.

The hardest thing for me is knowing how to value myself, so I'm literally just ranking companies based on how much they pay and applying top to bottom. I haven't started algo roulette yet but I'm guessing this will be the sole deciding factor of just how much pay I get. #GOTTALCFORTC

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

kitten smoothie posted:

I did not need to grind leetcode for this or the previous job.

Managers and team leads don't need to grind leetcode. Everyone below though...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Senior "full-stack" web dev, but mostly backend stuff primarily with Java these days. Public company you've probably heard of, but not FAANG. Seattle-based.

167 base, 10% bonus, and my initial 200k RSU grant (4yr flat line schedule) from 2 years ago has 3xed so I've cashed out over 200k as its vested and still have just shy of 400k vesting over the next 2 years (if the price holds). Get about 50k/yr in retention RSU grants on a 4 year schedule. Last tax year my TC was something like 320.

And the ESPP kind of makes up for the mediocre 401k, but only through good luck. I think I got a 10k signing bonus way back when, too.

Also no formal CS degree or plutocrat school, just a top public university and self-teaching/learning on the job over 10+ years.

Golden handcuffs are a blessing and a curse. I'm kind of burned out on the job but the idea of interview hell sounds even worse. It's not even this job or company that I'm necessarily burned out on, just big corporate dev in general. I'm not working crazy hours or anything, company culture is mostly good/fine, just blahhhh. Whenever I do quit I'm going to want/need a good long break before whatever is next.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 25, 2021

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Salary Chat input:

I’m a senior (third of five levels) software engineer at a product development company in Kansas City. I’m an embedded C developer on a team which does sensors - device driver development, providing data streams in usable formats, providing input to EEs and mechanical engineers on part placement - and algorithms - which take data streams from one or more sensors and fuse them to extract meaningful features, think step counting - for all of the company’s consumer products. Been with the company four years, sixteen since I graduated with a CS degree at Iowa State. $120K base, no RSUs. My group doesn’t do algorithm lottery style interviews though I can’t speak for the pure software parts of the company.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haven't poked my head in ITT since April when I got laid off... I got turned down for a full time remote position on Monday because "we found equally qualified candidates who will accept 15K less" and that really took the wind out of my sails this week. I have 9 years EXP and told them I was making $85K at my last job and "while more is always nice, I wasn't unhappy with that".

Today I just accepted an offer for $100K with potential 10% bonus from a small-ish mortgage broker. I'm psyched to get that offer lol. I live in poor-rear end Western New York so wages are much lower than any like Austin, Houstin, Boston, NYC or wherever in California.

And back in 2019 I was making $65K.

The imposter syndrome is strong and while I'm probably better than I give myself credit for, I am definitely not a great engineer so I'm happy to take what I can get, and definitely don't even feel like I deserve what I am getting. I know COL is way higher in regions that would pay me better, but I feel like my depression would eat me alive if I started earning "real" programmer money.

Also the interview process at this company basically 4x "Here's the job, tell us about your resume" with different people each time lol.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Guinness posted:

I'm not working crazy hours or anything, company culture is mostly good/fine, just blahhhh.

If I was in your position, I'd do the bare minimum and just... do other stuff: hang out on IRC, read, lurk forums, play games. This is assuming you're not crazy busy all the time and you have plenty of down time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I lurk in this thread. I became an automated QA using C# to write a framework using selenium and appium in november 2019. Got $65k. I used that experience and am now a software engineer 1 starting at $75k. The amount of work I am doing based on what ya'll are saying leads me to believe I am probably being underpaid. But I should probably stick this out for a year or two to get that on my resume.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RC Cola posted:

leads me to believe I am probably being underpaid.
You are absolutely underpaid.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Armauk posted:

If I was in your position, I'd do the bare minimum and just... do other stuff: hang out on IRC, read, lurk forums, play games. This is assuming you're not crazy busy all the time and you have plenty of down time.

Yeah, I'm not eagerly ladder climbing. I've seen what the responsibilities and compensation of level+1 look like, and what it takes to get an internal promo, and I don't think it's worth it, at least not for me personally right now.

I've already did a stint as a manager at a previous company, and actually bailed on it back to IC at this current job. No desire to try again in the near future.

The good news is that I've been able to make stuff I do enjoy like mentoring, design reviewing, and general team direction setting a core part of what people think I'm here for, which is good. But I'm so completely over feature code grinding, which fortunately I am doing less and less of.

I wouldn't say that I'm phoning it in, but I'm not busting rear end. Ironically, my perf reviews so far have all been very positive just not promo worthy. After this year+ of covid crap though it's just real hard to focus and care about work, ya know? Feels like the only thing that's been going on for so long, but fortunately hot vax summer is finally here.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 25, 2021

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Dang, this sums up exactly where I’m at work-wise, right down to the history of having been a manager and gone back to IC.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Guinness posted:

Golden handcuffs are a blessing and a curse. I'm kind of burned out on the job but the idea of interview hell sounds even worse. It's not even this job or company that I'm necessarily burned out on, just big corporate dev in general. I'm not working crazy hours or anything, company culture is mostly good/fine, just blahhhh. Whenever I do quit I'm going to want/need a good long break before whatever is next.

:same:

This job is fine, I like my coworkers, I work on some interesting stuff, I don't work crazy hours, etc. I'm just tired.

Living outside of "figgieland" means that unless I move my next job will almost certainly slash my comp considerably. I'll do it eventually but for now it means I just keep on keepin' on

marumaru
May 20, 2013

As someone who isn't in The Great Figgielands (the US), I should probably stop looking at this thread, lol. Yall are millionaires.

Guinness posted:

I'm kind of burned out on the job but the idea of interview hell sounds even worse. It's not even this job or company that I'm necessarily burned out on, just big corporate dev in general. I'm not working crazy hours or anything, company culture is mostly good/fine, just blahhhh. Whenever I do quit I'm going to want/need a good long break before whatever is next.

I'm half-looking for a new job atm (I'm not in a hurry) and every minute I spend doing it makes me feel worse and worse. It feels like because of my circumstances I can only find positions that either pay terribly, imply that you're absolutely going to be working long hours and/or weekends (especially the startups, who all think they are the next FAANG and expect your blood sweat and tears) or that ask for a short few unpaid 8-hour days for "technical tryouts".

At least I've found out about the HN jobs postings, and have been shooting emails to a few of those. No replies yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TC chat: 6 years of experience total, I only make about $115k yearly + something like $15k RSU “bonus” to compensate (sort of?). Considered a “Senior Engineer 1” at my place. I turn 31 in a couple months :negative:

Also if we’re posting TC we should also post location. Mine’s Boston.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 25, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012
TC Chat: (format is salary/bonus/yearly equity)

Originally a senior embedded engineer 5+ years ago with TC 105/5/0 in a HCOL area that paid mediocre in general.

Moved to G in the Bay Area at 150/22.5/67 with a 45k sign on bonus at L4 for a year. Switched to FAANG lite at 175/17.5/75 with a 75k sign on at senior and been there since. Got some refreshes and a promotion along the way and around mid 500 now with an expectation to fall to high 400s or low 500s this year due to a cliff.

As others, my path to figgies was not very straight. State school to an embedded job starting at 60k, got laid off and was unemployed for 2 years in the Great Recession and then started the embedded mentioned above at 70k and was there for about 5 years.

asur fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 25, 2021

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Working for a small startup in MSP*, I was at ~$116k base with up to 5% bonus based on business KPIs, but we were acquired recently by a multi-national you've never heard of unless you're in Austin and now my bonus target is IIRC 10% and I got a whopping $30k of RSUs vesting 1/4/yr. Plastic handcuffs, I guess? 14 years exp as a full stack dev and I guess my title at acquisition was 'developer' because that's what whoever last made the org chart PowerPoint put on there. Gonna see if getting myself declared a senior engineer officially at the new place gets me better comp (lol)

*the airport code, not the acronym. Median household income in this MSA is $84k, for reference (p5). I'm about median for senior level full-stack here, I think.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I'm around 10 years, 7 of which were at a FAANG. I recently left for a fully-remote position at a non-FAANG tech company. Mostly I wanted to go remote, but also I was burned out from trying and failing the promo process at my last place.

Previously I was around 270 TC which was like 135 base/35 bonus/100 RSUs, which was also apparently the soft cap for the level I was at (one below senior). Now I'm at 200 base/90 RSUs/0 bonus with the senior title.

I also have to say that interviewing again after so long was really tough, and gave me imposter syndrome all over again for a while.

edit: was in Pittsburgh, now at a beach town.

Edly fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 25, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Guinness posted:

I wouldn't say that I'm phoning it in, but I'm not busting rear end. Ironically, my perf reviews so far have all been very positive just not promo worthy. After this year+ of covid crap though it's just real hard to focus and care about work, ya know? Feels like the only thing that's been going on for so long, but fortunately hot vax summer is finally here.

I understand. This sounds like a job that'll give you a comfortable cushion until you find something that pays just as well and will challenge you. Luckily, your current gig doesn't like it'll make you suicidal.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For anyone not making the FAANG bucks don't feel like you can't get there. Not everyone comes out of a pedigree school and rakes it in immediately (what a lovely loving system). I had a long and winding path to a FAANG job and definitely had to job hop and fight for good experiences and visibility.

1999: graduated undergrad from state school, worked on academic research for a bit.
2000: First real job out of school, 50K at a startup that eventually failed
2003: Stint as video game artist at 50K
2003: grad school
2006: schools not impressive enough, next job 60K
2007: changed jobs 75K
2009: raises and eventual promotion to senior up to 90K
2010: changed jobs senior 100K
2014: started the oldie thread
2014: Hired at FAANG (took demotion) 125K plus 15% bonus and 50K RSUs (4 year vest)
2021: after various raises and promotion to senior 175K plus 15%-20% bonus and 130K RSUs (4 year vest)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Paolomania posted:

For anyone not making the FAANG bucks don't feel like you can't get there. Not everyone comes out of a pedigree school and rakes it in immediately (what a lovely loving system). I had a long and winding path to a FAANG job and definitely had to job hop and fight for good experiences and visibility.

Yeah, same, I didn't jump around as much but making FAANG bucks didn't happen over night.

2006: Graduated from state school with a 3.15 GPA, no internships or work experience, and couldn't get hired anywhere.
2007: 9 depressing months later I got my first job out of school, $56k at a defense contractor. Eventually made it up to about $67k after a promotion.
2011: Took a pay cut and demotion to avoid renewing my security clearance and increase my quality of life. Moved to a financial services company at about $62k + bonuses which got me to almost my previous salary.
2016: After two promotions and improved bonuses I got up to $100k and a senior title
2017: Hired at FAANG down a level, started at about $170k total comp, but that went up considerably thanks to tech stocks so by year 2 it got up to about $250k total
2020: Promoted to senior and hit my current total comp

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yeah, same, I didn't jump around as much but making FAANG bucks didn't happen over night.

Thirding this, went to a state school, first two jobs were in the 50-60k range, got hired at a FAANG around 130k and grew over time with consistently good-but-not-amazing perf scores.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Are you both making that serious coin in SF?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Armauk posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Armauk posted:

I'm in a non-SF non-NYC major city.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
NYC metro area, working for a small consulting firm on devops / cloud architecture / occasional app dev type projects. 155 base, usually 5-10% bonus, no equity. Around 20 years of industry experience. Started at 90k in 2011.

I'm in the process of interviewing for a recently-acquired startup for a devops lead gig with a Kubernetes focus. Everything's up in the air right now but if it goes well it'll be for 200ish base with some amount of possibly worthless equity.

Not sure I'd take it even then just because I'm very comfortable at my job and generally enjoy the work.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Armauk posted:

You are absolutely underpaid.

Ok. So realistically what should a dev in Denver make? My of my experience at my current company is C#/dot net, a bit of Blazor, and some typescript. And I guess DB stuff on azure. I've been a dev for less than a month, but the automation QA stuff I was doing was stuff like setting up my teams CI pipeline to run my automation code on checkins and such.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh
Hi friend!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
TC chat, I’m in Chicago with 4 years experience now but also a PhD in a quantitative field before that (but no CS degree), getting about 125k with salary and bonus target, but probably gonna hit around 160k this year with extra perf bonus and RSU grants vesting. Probably a little underpaid but it’s a comfortable amount for us and I have somewhat niche professional interests so finding jobs can be hard. :shrug:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RC Cola posted:

Ok. So realistically what should a dev in Denver make? My of my experience at my current company is C#/dot net, a bit of Blazor, and some typescript. And I guess DB stuff on azure. I've been a dev for less than a month, but the automation QA stuff I was doing was stuff like setting up my teams CI pipeline to run my automation code on checkins and such.

At least $90K

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Edly posted:

I also have to say that interviewing again after so long was really tough, and gave me imposter syndrome all over again for a while.

I'm doing the true deep dive LeetCode/FAANG grind for the first time and I have to say, it's simultanously better and worse than I expected it to be. I've breezed through all the mega-patterns (windows, backtracking, dfs and bfs on trees, grids, and graphs, combo DP stuff, etc) and things like that which were once quite daunting have become totally manageable, but there are still so many random questions I run into on the company lists where I have quite literally no idea how I'd solve them in a 40 minute window without rote memorization of that exact problem. People used to say there was a lot of luck invovled, hence the "algo roulette" moniker, but I refused to believe them and just thought I had to git good. Now, I feel like I have to git good at accepting that I may prep a ton, become very strong, and still fail which is maybe even harder to swallow than the original take of just being a dumbass.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Is the leetcode-grinding interview truly the only obstacle for getting that foot into the door at FAANG? Once you're in, do you have to worry about doing it again for future jobs?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Eng Manager, Prolly $180 TC after RSU's. Been at this for 14 years now. 3 at my entry level, 3 at a non-profit where I was director of engineering at the end of those 3 years (of a 3 man team). 3 at an agency where I was one of the Sr. Engineers. And now 1.5 here.

The team is fantastic, but my devs keep getting poached as they move out of a middle-of-the-road remote-first company. Apparently Rails devs to replace them are harder to find? >_<

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

TC chat, bay area:

Graduated from App Academy in 2016, then:

2016: Support dev @ 100k base
2017: Startup SE @ 115k base
2019: Startup SE @ 135k base
2021: FAANG SE2 @ 160k base + 140k/year RSUs/bonus for 300k TC

I hit LeetCode/Elements of Programming Interviews + system design for ~45 minutes on weekdays and practice whiteboarding on the weekends for about 5 months and got pretty lucky with the algo lottery ay my single FAANG interview.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm doing the true deep dive LeetCode/FAANG grind for the first time and I have to say, it's simultanously better and worse than I expected it to be. I've breezed through all the mega-patterns (windows, backtracking, dfs and bfs on trees, grids, and graphs, combo DP stuff, etc) and things like that which were once quite daunting have become totally manageable, but there are still so many random questions I run into on the company lists where I have quite literally no idea how I'd solve them in a 40 minute window without rote memorization of that exact problem. People used to say there was a lot of luck invovled, hence the "algo roulette" moniker, but I refused to believe them and just thought I had to git good. Now, I feel like I have to git good at accepting that I may prep a ton, become very strong, and still fail which is maybe even harder to swallow than the original take of just being a dumbass.

You sound way more well prepared than I was, hopefully that gives you some confidence. There is a big element of randomness to the process for sure though, both in the questions you get and the interviewers themselves.

I did fine with algo questions I think, where I struggled was with system design (at least until I went through a couple interviews and got a sense of what kinds of things interviewers wanted to see and ask about) and then one company's take home project where they wanted to do a deep dive into the code I wrote and test me on whether I knew some really specific implementation details about a Python class I was using (spoiler: I did not).

It's been observed many times in this thread but the skills I had to demonstrate in interviews were almost completely unrelated to the skills I had to develop on the job. I did a lot of large-scale migration type stuff in SRE, so I actually didn't write a ton of code, or ever design a scalable system from scratch. Instead I learned a bunch of soft-skill type stuff about managing big projects etc. I think not coincidentally I only got offers from the companies where part of the interview process was talking about my experience directly with hiring managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Armauk posted:

Is the leetcode-grinding interview truly the only obstacle for getting that foot into the door at FAANG? Once you're in, do you have to worry about doing it again for future jobs?

Your resume has to get you to the interview in the first place, but after that I'm pretty sure the main deciding factor is your performance in the interview. I was never on a hiring committee so take that with a grain of salt, but I did conduct maybe 75-100 interviews and get to see the whole slate of interview feedback and ultimate hire/no hire decision.

Sadly you still have to go through the whole process again for future jobs.