Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The United States posted:

The Blacklist is one of those shows that I am always surprised is still going.

I watched a bunch of seasons of it on Netflix like 2 years ago and thought it was already done. How are they still dragging out that he's her dad or whatever. It's either that or a Final Space Avocado situation.

Speaking of, man did Final Space get loving bleak this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bring back Santa Clarita Diet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

Speaking of, man did Final Space get loving bleak this season.

Yeah, but drat good. I will not be happy if they cancel it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Azhais posted:

The first time they killed her off the following two episodes were some of the most horrible lovely episodes of TV I'd seen in a long time, and I basically said if they're gonna make me sit through those episodes she better be dead. I haven't watched since, did anything interesting happen in the interim?
Up until I stopped watching? No.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I didn't have "Eddie Deezen is a creepy stalker" on my 2021 bingo card, but here we are:

https://twitter.com/athomasson11/status/1407858532440018948

https://twitter.com/KaraLashbaugh/status/1407540617849286658

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kill_all_nerds.exe

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am absolutely loving Kevin Can gently caress Himself.

I'm really enjoying it so far too. Like how they're expanding the other neighbor and have this kind of escalating rube-goldberg disaster going on because of her sloppy plan to poison Kevin with pills. It is the kind of show I want to wrap up and be a complete little thing, wrap up in season one rather than keep going and going until it's no picked back up. If she doesn't murder or leave Kevin by the end I think I'll be annoyed, but so far so good.

Shageletic posted:

speaking of Adam Pally been cackling about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXBikAnpgc

This cracked me up and I started watching the full show episodes and it's amazing. Might be tempted to get showtime for a bit to see the rest. 5.99 for 3 months seems like a better deal for these smaller screaming content pods.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

IRQ posted:

I watched a bunch of seasons of it on Netflix like 2 years ago and thought it was already done. How are they still dragging out that he's her dad or whatever. It's either that or a Final Space Avocado situation.

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother, these last two episodes were way over the top insinuating this. Now that Liz is dead, there is no reason to keep the secret, but also no one who would care so it will almost certainly never be confirmed. This is both frustrating and as someone who has watched dozens of NBC mystery shows where the mystery was never actually revealed, not at all surprising.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I stopped watching that show like 6 years ago [I love me some Spader monologue, but the man shouldn't have to carry an entire show like that], but I do occasionally hear bits about.....and by God I am almost interested enough to check back. Because really, the only thing they can be implying with some of the poo poo they've done is that yeah, Spader is Liz's mom. Which....gently caress, way to go deep undercover I guess.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but drat good. I will not be happy if they cancel it.

Per the adult toon thread it is ok. Final Space has really become a new favourite of mine and this season was amazing. This show goes from funny to action and then melancholy quite well... and it really reminds me if Farscape and Futurama had a child. Hoping for at least a couple more seasons if they can keep up the pace.

Side bar: after a friend got me hooked on Ted Lasso I signed up for Apple TV. Ted Lasso is really wholesomely delightful in a most old school Canadian way despite not actually being Canadian. Thanks again goons. Anyway.... decided to give Mythic Quest a try. Finishing up Season 2 and it's decent with some stellar episodes. Not sure how well it captures the game industry in particular but a season 2 episode 100% captured the way management talks to artists. Seriously giving me a headache. Also liked how the quick response by the one artist obviously recycling bs he knew the boss would like. All they need now is a young artist busting his rear end making 5 pitches with some being beautiful and outstanding only for the execs to choose the one he barely put together in 5 minutes, possibly while really hungover to finish out the 5 pitch count.

Mythic Quest is ok. I enjoy it quite a bit although it hasn't grabbed me as hard as Final Space or Ted Lasso. I need season 2 of Ted Lasso so bad.

Fenris13 posted:

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother, these last two episodes were way over the top insinuating this. Now that Liz is dead, there is no reason to keep the secret, but also no one who would care so it will almost certainly never be confirmed. This is both frustrating and as someone who has watched dozens of NBC mystery shows where the mystery was never actually revealed, not at all surprising.
Yeah I got someone hooked on this show at the beginning of COVID so have watched this last season with them. Your spoiler is right on... which I would almost be more excited about if they just outright stated it, like once and for all... but I don't think they will which annoys me more. I'm guessing partly because if they went blatant with the ID it might turn off older American viewers and it's a mainstream show so they aren't known for being daring and taking chances.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

bring back Santa Clarita Diet

It was so good. I would lose it laughing at least once an episode in the last two seasons. Like “pause and have to rewind” level laughing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Drew Barrymore was good in it too and I never thought Tim Olyphant would do comedy well. Too bad she's hosting a talk show now where all her guests are Youtubers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fenris13 posted:

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother, these last two episodes were way over the top insinuating this.

Ok now I have to know how on earth that's meant to make any sense whatsoever. Even in that show's context - it always reminded me a bit of Alias, but even Alias didn't do that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was so good. I would lose it laughing at least once an episode in the last two seasons. Like “pause and have to rewind” level laughing.

NOT TODAY!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Fenris13 posted:

They made it pretty clear Spader was not her father a few seasons ago, the last 4 seasons have been heavy handed about the secret being Spader was actually her Mother

I...

I'm sorry, what????

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, the CW couldn't even go a year. Supernatural prequel series in the works with Jensen Ackles set to produce and provide narration.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Per the adult toon thread it is ok.

I don't know. Ratings were poo poo this year and they made last minute timeslot changes for the final two episodes. Olan Rogers didn't sound too hopeful on Reddit.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Finally getting to the final season of Lucifer on Netflix and yikes, this musical episode is exactly as bad as I'd feared when I heard about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, the CW couldn't even go a year. Supernatural prequel series in the works with Jensen Ackles set to produce and provide narration.

My initial reaction to this is...meh. John and Mary are two of the least interesting characters and they've been pretty well explored already? But sure I'll tune in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That was a bizzare rear end episode of Dave

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

IRQ posted:

Ok now I have to know how on earth that's meant to make any sense whatsoever. Even in that show's context - it always reminded me a bit of Alias, but even Alias didn't do that.

Well ok, there are a couple of concepts from the show we have to accept as fact first, and remember, you asked for this!

First, we have to agree that "Red" was stuck to his "I will never lie to you" promise to Liz, and second that his primary motivation for almost everything he did was to protect Liz. These are brought up a couple of times through out the show, and go along way to explaining a few of the choices from the last couple of seasons.

Now, make sure your tinfoil hats are snugly secured.

What we know to be true for sure,

The original Raymond Reddington is Liz's biological father, died when she was very young, and was basically nothing but a patsy. No real criminal background at all.
Katerina Restova is Liz's mother, she is alive at the current point in the show. She is an accomplished Russian spy who also knows about the shadowy multi-national "power" group called the Cabal. It is widely believed that Restova stole the bundle of Intelligence related to the Cabal that earned her the moniker N13.
Dominick is Katerina's father, thus Liz's Grandfather. Dominick blames "Red" for loosing Katerina, but we know Katerina is not dead, so to him she is lost in some other way. Dominick has no problem lying, even to Liz.
"Red" is someone close to the family who has undergone extensive plastic surgery to look like Raymond Reddington, this is discussed a few times and confirmed in the episode from last week, when "Red" mentioned that anyone believing Raymond was still alive would know he had survived a vicious fire and undergone extensive plastic surgery anyways, so they did not need a perfect match to create "Red, just one that was close enough. "Red" also confirmed they are N13 without ever denying that Katerina is N13.
Katerina "Fauxstova" is a Russian agent who worked with Dominick and his circle before the creation of "Red" and then afterwords, Dominick leaked to the Cabal that he was meeting with his daughter, but met her instead and tried to assassinate her to prevent anyone from looking for traces of his real daughter. "Fauxstova" looses her family in this assassination attempt and when she resurfaces she plays up her role as Katerina to Liz, convincing her she is her mother and using her to try to take down "Red".
Finally we have Townsend, the villain of this last season, who "Red" considers the biggest threat to Liz's safety. He hates Katerina Restova because N13 was directly responsible for the death of his child. Liz, upset with "Red" for killing "Fauxstova" right in front of her, convinces Townsend that "Red" is N13 and the team up to go after him, but Townsend learns "Red's" big secret, and becomes hellbent on killing Liz instead, to the point where he walks away from killing "Red" because he wants "Red" to suffer the same pain he has suffered.

None of the above provides a direct link to the twist, but when you combine it with even just a few pieces of the circumstantial evidence dropped over the past few seasons, it almost becomes to big of a red hearing.
When Dominick lies to Liz about who assumed "Red's" identity, "Red" is upset, but understands that if Liz believes the lie, she wont keep digging into the truth. This is concept is repeated with "Fauxstova", for as long as Liz's believes she is really her mother, she would never look for the truth about her mother. Both of these play into "Red's" core motivation of protecting Liz, and that the more people that know his secret, including her, the more danger she is in. This proves true as soon as Townsend learns his secret.
The words "Red" chooses are also really important, "Red" insists that he is not Liz's father, but he has never once said that Liz is not his daughter, or that they are not related. There is scene in this last episode where Liz shows "Red" a picture of baby Liz on the swing with her mother and asks red if he took the picture. "Red" looks at the picture longingly, but says nothing until Liz asks if he had been there that day, "Red" says "I Was there that day. No one knew your mother better than I did" Circumstantial for sure, but when you consider there have been many more scenes like this, where "Red" very carefully so as not to lie, but also to in someway reflect upon the connection he has with Liz.

I feel so dirty for writing all of that about a silly TV show, but Spader really does some amazing work. I though he hit his peak sitting on a high-rise balcony unwinding with Shattner, but his connection with several of the characters on this show at least rival that.

ShakeZula posted:

Finally getting to the final season of Lucifer on Netflix and yikes, this musical episode is exactly as bad as I'd feared when I heard about it.
Just a correction, but most recent season, not final.

This might have been my monkey's paw. I really liked the premise of Wayward Sisters, the idea of a couple of Mentor figures and a new batch of slayers all saved by the Winchesters seemed like something that could be good, but the pilot was a real turd. I am not excited by young John and Mary, especially since it wont be their adult actors. Mary's father on the other hand, if we could get more of him depending on where in the timeline this lines up, could be worth watching.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Fenris13 posted:

Just a correction, but most recent season, not final.

Wait really? I thought this most recent batch was it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Wait really? I thought this most recent batch was it.

When they originally announced the season 5 pickup it was supposed to be a final season but then they extended the episode count and negotiated a new contract with Tom Ellis which gave them one more.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

When they originally announced the season 5 pickup it was supposed to be a final season but then they extended the episode count and negotiated a new contract with Tom Ellis which gave them one more.

Huh, yeah now that you mention it I do remember reading that. Well I suppose that's good news, though I had kind of mentally prepared myself for it to end here.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That was a bizzare rear end episode of Dave

I went looking for discussion on the show because it's so bizarre. You never know what you're going to get each episode, sometimes each scene. The most real part of this episode was trying to socially navigate the different types of humor between two friend groups.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fenris13 posted:

I feel so dirty for writing all of that about a silly TV show, but Spader really does some amazing work. I though he hit his peak sitting on a high-rise balcony unwinding with Shattner, but his connection with several of the characters on this show at least rival that.

Spader being Spader in the show and just telling stories of his time on the run and his escapades were peak Spader. He is naturally good at tellings stories and I enjoy listening to them. (And thanks to this show I can't hear Spader in any other show but being Red; including Ultron)

Him and Dembe on helium in the this season finale might be my favorite moment of the show.

edit: Concerning other spoilers If Red is her Mom I wonder how they explain it away and would also like to know if that was always the plan or if they just painted themselves in a corner. Like yes you can go back now with hindsight and see the nods and indications but I still would think they had someone else for him to be but either already revealed him or just scrapped it.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 25, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i feel like i'm being tricked into getting interested in The Blacklist

if the spoiler twist is actually true then :psyduck: okay cool hahah

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wasn't Mary the hunter and John only became a hunter after Mary died? How do they spread this premise out unless the majority of the show's focus is on Mary?

Just finished Lupin on Netflix and that was enjoyable but how do we have a part 3? the last episode of part 2 seemed pretty cut and dry as a finale

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1408206301914562563?s=21

dude’s pretty smart and passionate and cool imo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was in a bar having never seen blacklist before and it was on with no sound and watching spader walk around like terminator bond with a dad bad just me go “yeah no”

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I watched the first few seasons of Blacklist, and the standout non-Spader moment was when the Captain America-looking agent kicked a prone bad guy in the stomach so hard he flew off a skyscraper.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

As someone who loved Patriot I feel like a complete dipshit for making it through 6.75 episodes of For All Mankind before realizing John Tavner is Gordo

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sumo posted:

As someone who loved Patriot I feel like a complete dipshit for making it through 6.75 episodes of For All Mankind before realizing John Tavner is Gordo

Double great. :smith:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sumo posted:

...cool...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fenris13 posted:

Can't say I regret falling off that show. That's quite the bizarre twist if true.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does anything in season 5 of The Wire involving the newsroom amount to anything other than a reboot of All The President's Men?

I love this show but if it doesn't, I'm tempted to just fast-forward through those scenes.

Also, I still love Snoop.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
David Simon has grudges from his time as a reporter and that’s basically it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does anything in season 5 of The Wire involving the newsroom amount to anything other than a reboot of All The President's Men?

I love this show but if it doesn't, I'm tempted to just fast-forward through those scenes.

Also, I still love Snoop.

All the interesting stuff in season 5 is outside of the cops/newsroom. You can skip it.

And galvanize your hate for Herc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Heads up everyone but the final season of Bosch dropped and this really cracked me up.

In the trailer, a cop refers to the villain as the "Stringer Bell" of whatever. Bosch stars Jamie Hect (Marlow) as the partner. They immediately jump cut to Hect who goes "I don't like that at all" and I almost fell off my couch laughing.

I'm so sad this generic but entertaining cop show is ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s being continued on IMDB channel I guess? Or something.