Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
opm does have a really fun side cast but also like. a lot of why that side cast are fun is how they play off saitama. like in the more detailed/anime stuff it's funny that tatsumaki is this super chuuni ungodly powerful esper girl but then saitama walks in and she goes tiny cartoon gremlin mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Colonel posted:

do you mean with the gag where the elf gets high on mushrooms and chases her through a forest while she shouts about how not gay she is

because that is, exactly the kind of thing i'm talking about when i say i hate slime witch lol. like here's the thing even if they never teased anything again it would still be awkward to have a bit where she clarifies how straight she is apropos of like, nothing, and they still went about it in the most insane way possible that treats the idea of reading the characters that way as something weird and othering

That's the gag, yes. The anime cuts it down to just a "get away, you're full of poison" reaction and then nuking her with magic. However the manga has her run off through the forest because it's "not safe" for Azsuna's chastity to touch the elf to dispel her, while shouting at least twice that she is 100% not gay.

I would have just rolled my eyes over that and moved on, but the series loves to keep teasing that maybe THIS new character will start off a romance just to set up another bad gag.

Which sucks, because when Witch is dealing with found families and making gags about the gap between expectations and reality it's pretty good, but when it's baiting it's just blech.

Captain Invictus posted:

it's total eradication regardless of whether they're combatants or not, so I guess? I'm pretty sure they also capture and torture the king who ordered the war in the first place and eventually he gets turned into a...I think LITERAL bucket of body parts, but still alive? or something hosed up like that?

but yeah, it's been a bit but I think it was basically "oh, this attacking army just so happens to be roughly the amount of souls you'd need to absorb in order to become a demon lord, so why don't we kill two birds with one stone here" and he uses raindrop-reflected magic lasers to 360 noscope every single invader basically at the same time, surrendering or not

Not trying to call you out specifically, but this is the thing that always gets me with slime discourse. The attack part always gets blown out of proportion (it's not genocide, he doesn't kill non-combatants because fantasy armies don't bring the kind of logistical support they would need, he doesn't follow them home and wipe them out to the last person, etc) when it's the whole "let's ignore my subordinates torturing people" and "set's start a coup and set up a puppet government" bits that are the real reprehensible and tonally dissonant parts.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Neat, well that addresses my concerns about no PV or air da--

Anime News Network posted:

Compilations of the first season will air for three weeks prior to the second season's debut, starting on July 3. In addition, the second season will get a special program on July 24. The website also announced that the third and final season, which has the subtitle Final Season -Asaki Yume no Akatsuki- (Dawn of Light Dreams), will debut at the end of 2021.

Wait, WHAT? The anime is starting almost a month after the season start proper, and they're inserting three compilations beforehand? Either this is some genius marketing strategy to lead into a movie, or more likely this is an indication that S2 is so unfinished that they're splitting it into multiple parts and buying time even before the season starts. Jesus Christ. Welp, I said I'd watch it, so time to strap in I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if slime witch wasn't really interested in exploring romantic relationships and just didn't really comment on it i'd be fine with it but yeah the jokes it makes about it legitimately feel like. super dated even. like the kind of stuff i'd see in some mediocre manga from 2004, not, 2017

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arist posted:

I mean, the actual reason that One Punch Man works beyond simple parody from what I've seen is that much of the story does not involve and is not about Saitama.

Exactly this. To put it another way, there is a reason that every major arc spends a significant portion of time on people who are not Saitama doing things away from Saitama that are generally adjacent to Saitama but not involving Saitama. The videogame did it right, Saitama was essentially a fallback condition where if your OC character couldn't win eventually Saitama would get there and instantly solve the problem.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Like many of the MCs that he's a mockery of, Saitama hasn't really earned his OP-ness, and his workout routine is another great gag. Unlike most OPMCs, he's kinda a failed doofus in every aspect of life besides punching stuff. No wealth or social power, no recognition of his amazing deeds, no harem of suitors or following of devotees besides Genos. I love ONE's writing.

Also this, Saitama is kind of a dweeb. And yet he is a hero, and the hero of the story, and used as a way to talk about heroism. One of the recurring things in the series is the way that Saitama is used as a lens to talk about ideals of heroism and what truly makes a person a hero, and it often shows that the reason Saitama should be considered a hero is for things COMPLETELY UNRELATED to being able to beat anyone in a single punch. It's not just that he gets no real reward or recognition for his feats, it's that he doesn't really care either way because he's a hero and that's not really what's important about being a hero. Yeah, obviously it's a good thing in most situations that Saitama can just delete the most powerful bad guy threatening the world when he gets around to it, but that's almost unimportant to the series when it gets around to being a think piece on superheroes. Saitama being the invincible One Punch Man was essentially a bait and switch.

Mob Psycho 100 was kind of the same deal. Mob wasn't nearly as explicitly overpowered as Saitama is, but the whole point of the series in a lot of respects was that Mob being this crazy, ultra-powerful psychic did not actually do him any favors. The whole arc of the series was showing him grow as a person and form relationships and make friends and build his own self-confidence, and him being basically Akira was essentially unrelated to that.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Agreed with everyone's points about OPM. The supporting cast now carries the series and they're all very entertaining. I just love how it's all backed by the knowledge that Saitama could come and save everyone if he wasn't busy playing video games, or grocery shopping, or getting sidetracked by any number of things. Comedy through tragedy or something.

Sorry for the derail, I haven't watched the slime show.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Malsangoroth posted:

Wait, WHAT? The anime is starting almost a month after the season start proper, and they're inserting three compilations beforehand? Either this is some genius marketing strategy to lead into a movie, or more likely this is an indication that S2 is so unfinished that they're splitting it into multiple parts and buying time even before the season starts. Jesus Christ. Welp, I said I'd watch it, so time to strap in I guess.

i don't think any of this is that unusual? every "split cour" show is just the producers pushing the first half out early while they finish the second half, it's a standard practice these days. doesn't mean it can't be a troubled production but i don't think this indicates anything as such yet.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'd be surprised if there were any truly untroubled production nowadays (relative to even a few years ago) given how much is being produced and how limited the number of skilled animators is. Shifting the dates back may be a necessary strategy to spread out the work more, and in the era of streaming it's probably not as important to stick to the TV season schedule.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This season Dynazenon was completely finished pretty early. I think it was just a few weeks into airing or even before.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

This season Dynazenon was completely finished pretty early. I think it was just a few weeks into airing or even before.

A month plus, minimum. It went even smoother than Gridman, and that one was an absurdly calm ride. They had nearly complete animation ready by the time they did voiceover.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

chiasaur11 posted:

A month plus, minimum. It went even smoother than Gridman, and that one was an absurdly calm ride. They had nearly complete animation ready by the time they did voiceover.

Wait, don't they normally do voiceover first then animate to that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not in Japan, apparently! That's nuts to me every time I hear it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no, that's a rarity

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arist posted:

Not in Japan, apparently! That's nuts to me every time I hear it.

Wild, that must really limit the freedom of the VA's to emote and act to the animation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oddtaxi did voices first

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's one of the reasons why Akira is such a technical marvel, they animated the lip flaps to match the actual mouth movements necessary for a real person to actually say the lines.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
I think this season will mostly be catch up for me with how stacked the last few have been.

Though I'm wildly excited for Re Main to give water polo the same love the Free did you swimming. Here's hoping anyway. One by one my hobbies are getting anime and I love it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Malsangoroth posted:

A better strategy than Spider used, which was to stop animating things after the first cour and still not be able to complete the season as scheduled.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Question about Super Cub;

Someone a while back mentioned they've toned back the worse elements of the original manga to make it a wholesome advertisement, I was just curious as to whether Reiko sneaking out of the shower to eat naked was a snippet of the apparently-exised nudism thing that was mentioned making it in as a gag?

I'd like to hear this, too. It was a rather O_O moment in the episode.

quote:

Also something really sweet about this one; It's almost entirely in bright high-contrast colours :allears:
And Shin got her own wee Cub! :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

reiko is an old man at heart, that's just what makes her cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the greatest voice acting trick in anime is still how the symphogear cast emotes while singing, since the gimmick is singing during action scenes. so if they get hit they cut themselves off mid-line, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2D761sPLmg&t=12s

Malsangoroth posted:

no i dont think any of this implies any of that

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
decent odds that s2/final of magireco is a similar situation to last encore where the last eps are delayed but they make them really pretty half a year down the road

also there's already a madoka movie to market towards

but most importantly, when are they announcing luminous witches' airdate

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

kater posted:

A better strategy than Spider used, which was to stop animating things after the first cour and still not be able to complete the season as scheduled.

I am entirely unsurprised that the show had animation problems.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wild, that must really limit the freedom of the VA's to emote and act to the animation.

There's still room to improvise and emote, and for VAs to change the direction of things (the famous "Yes, I'm Kazuma" from Konosuba was improv, Gaelio on Iron Blooded Orphans impressed Mari Okada enough that Ein was spared until the end of the first season just so Gaelio would have someone to play off) but yeah. The voicing has to play to the animation most of the time rather than the other way around. That said, it also allows tighter matching of sound effects to the animation, so you take the rough with the smooth.

Also, looking things up, Gridman started airing in October 2018. It finished production at the end of that month. Dynazenon, meanwhile, finished before it started. It's kind of remarkable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Both Masaya Matsukaze and Yuuma Uchida also had pretty good chemistry and it shows on the scenes they have as Gaelio and Ein.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

The Black Stones posted:

I am entirely unsurprised that the show had animation problems.

You might be surprised by just how bad it got.

https://i.imgur.com/vGMP8Ch.mp4

Look at it.

You were so distracted by the badly tiling textures, you didn't even notice that the characters on the right are 2d sprites.

Bonus: this scene takes place in a forest, but they're re-using the desert scene, which they already re-used for another battle, in a completely different place, earlier that episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Long story short, Shin Itagaki has an exceedingly narrow skillset, and asking him to work outside it is exceedingly unwise.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

It's one of the reasons why Akira is such a technical marvel, they animated the lip flaps to match the actual mouth movements necessary for a real person to actually say the lines.

Akira was nuts, if you saw like, the top half of a cowboy get shot on a tv, someone animated the entire cowboy to make sure they got the cowboy getting shot just right.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Darth Walrus posted:

Long story short, Shin Itagaki has an exceedingly narrow skillset, and asking him to work outside it is exceedingly unwise.

feel like it might be a bit shortsighted to blame a guy for all the issues of productions he's been on that have notoriously had insanely bad scheduling from higher ups, involved things he's not really skilled in (cg), or been extremely cheap licensed tie-ins

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Colonel posted:

feel like it might be a bit shortsighted to blame a guy for all the issues of productions he's been on that have notoriously had insanely bad scheduling from higher ups, involved things he's not really skilled in (cg), or been extremely cheap licensed tie-ins

People keep going “look, it can’t be his fault, he doesn’t have budget/experience/insert x reason here”

He’s had 3 projects in a row now where there’s been animation mistakes ahoy, and really really bad ones. Now, are all the problems on him? Definitely not, but at this point I think we can safely say that he definitely has issues with directing and it will show up very obviously in his shows. What causes it? I don’t know, but if you’re watching a show that Shin Itagaki is directing you should expect that something will happen to the animation.

I’m just saying when people see his name attached to any future projects I’d take that as a sign that it’s probably not going to be well animated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Black Stones posted:

He’s had 3 projects in a row now where there’s been animation mistakes ahoy, and really really bad ones.
Berserk, Spider... what's the third one?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

spider got delayed how many times? i think the project was just loving cursed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Akira was nuts, if you saw like, the top half of a cowboy get shot on a tv, someone animated the entire cowboy to make sure they got the cowboy getting shot just right.

They invented how many colors for that?

It was a lot of colors.

There's a reason the film, despite being the sixth highest grossing film of the year in Japan, was barely a financial success at its initial release. Nothing like it before, nothing like it since.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wark Say posted:

Berserk, Spider... what's the third one?

Cop Craft.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cop Craft at least had the excuse that they had to change an arc when it was the middle of airing because of the Kyoani arson. (Although, I think I remember some pretty horrible animation that occurred before that arc.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i personally just see no reason to blame one guy for even just, the majority of his shows' problems when the anime industry is in as much of a mess as it is and the most infamous thing the guy's worked on, is notable for how thoroughly hosed its entire production schedule was because of industry problems. he might have worked on a lot of messes but like. any productions these days that come away clean at all are a loving miracle to begin with

like wonder egg priority had a very talented staff and that show loving. crumpled. it melted. it collapsed. an exceptionally talented animation team who had spent a long time planning out their course in advance, could not save its production issues. one of my favorite anime in recent years was flip flappers and that show literally only got finished because its director was an absolute beast and was willing to solo key animate entire episodes when things got tight

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 26, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

People keep going “look, it can’t be his fault, he doesn’t have budget/experience/insert x reason here”

He’s had 3 projects in a row now where there’s been animation mistakes ahoy, and really really bad ones. Now, are all the problems on him? Definitely not, but at this point I think we can safely say that he definitely has issues with directing and it will show up very obviously in his shows. What causes it? I don’t know, but if you’re watching a show that Shin Itagaki is directing you should expect that something will happen to the animation.

I’m just saying when people see his name attached to any future projects I’d take that as a sign that it’s probably not going to be well animated.
i dont know how this is his fault, and this isn't really a director's job, but im gonna blame him cause hes a man whos name i saw once. impeccable logic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
like ben-to and the devil may cry anime were totally fine, the dmc anime was kinda stiff direction-wise but the entire thing was a bit stiff writing and concept wise too. and berserk 2016 had some bad directorial choices but also some good ones, it was pretty clearly because of a director that wasn't used to cg but was perfectly competent when it came to 2d animation. and even in that terrible shot from spider that was posted up thread, the actual shot composition and idea there is totally fine. i dont think the director said 'and make sure to reuse the terrible ps2 desert map even though the characters are in a forest.' and frankly if he did i admire his bold creative vision.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vahtooch posted:

I think this season will mostly be catch up for me with how stacked the last few have been.

Yeah, I have to catch up on a bunch of things. Also, the season thread should be up either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

You might be surprised by just how bad it got.

https://i.imgur.com/vGMP8Ch.mp4

Look at it.

You were so distracted by the badly tiling textures, you didn't even notice that the characters on the right are 2d sprites.

Bonus: this scene takes place in a forest, but they're re-using the desert scene, which they already re-used for another battle, in a completely different place, earlier that episode.

On the plus side, the enormous public gently caress up of missing the finale may finally doom this lovely studio.