Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ill arc over the finger for stuff like hitting the dpad in souls games while still moving. v good move to be able to do. also why asym sticks are created by satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Stupid Decisions posted:

Did Phoenix Point get any post launch updates? I seem to recall it getting some pretty poor reviews on launch.

Currently 50% off and I do like turn based strategy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/839770/Phoenix_Point_Year_One_Edition/

I'd love to hear from anyone who's played it recently, too... this is the sort of game I'd love to like, and it looks like a bunch of the negative reviews came from before the most recent massive patch?

I'm trying to decide between this, Everspace 2, or Endless Space 2 & Autonauts, I'm leaning towards that last one because two pretty great, cheap games > one good but buggy guy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Everspace 2 looks so drat cool but I guess I should wait until its finished to play it

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Omi no Kami posted:

I'd love to hear from anyone who's played it recently, too... this is the sort of game I'd love to like, and it looks like a bunch of the negative reviews came from before the most recent massive patch?

I'm trying to decide between this, Everspace 2, or Endless Space 2 & Autonauts, I'm leaning towards that last one because two pretty great, cheap games > one good but buggy guy.

You can get Autonauts(and 2 other games) for even cheaper at Fanatical right now: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-slayer-bundle

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 25, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Everspace 2 looks so drat cool but I guess I should wait until its finished to play it

What I'm doing.

Thinking I should buy the first if its cheap

e: it's not

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Awesome! posted:

this is how you played monster hunter on the psp

I tried playing it this way and instead stopped playing monster hunter

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I picked up everspace 2 and played it one night and pretty much did everything that there is to do. It's really good but not much there to do. It still feels really nice to play. I got it at launch and I think that they added more... but I only played it that one session of a few hours and did everything that there was to do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

What I'm doing.

Thinking I should buy the first if its cheap

e: it's not

buy Overload

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Omi no Kami posted:

Phoenix Point is in a weird place review wise because it was one of the big Epic Exclusive debacles early on and that continues to bleed over into discussion of it no matter where you look. That said, the game is solidly... mediocre. It's very much an attempt to regress Firaxcom mechanics into old XCOM design, rather than improve on the old design in its own way. The game's production values are also really hit and miss - the enemies all look awesome, and there's some good environmental detail around, but in motion everything is very, very stiff and once you get inside buildings everything is extremely austere and grey constantly - and you will get into buildings. A Lot.

The research system is slightly different from the norm in that rather than a linear progression of upgrades ala every other entry in this franchise, everything you can research is a sidegrade option designed to open up some new tactical capabilities for your soldiers, or allow you to circumvent an enemy defense they just mutated to screw with you. It's a neat idea but I personally hated it because I rather liked going from nobody to nightmare in these games, and your soldiers never really feel more powerful.

Probably the biggest issue though it's there a bunch of just utterly baffling micromanaging all over the game. For example - heavy soldiers carry large, inaccurate guns. They also wear large, bulky armor that makes them even more inaccurate. So inaccurate as to be worthless. BUT! if you pull the heavy armor off every single one of your heavy soldiers then you can finally use their large cannons! Why is it set up like this? I don't know, seemingly just to make you do an extra thing at game start. Same deal for when your bases are attacked, you need to go in and babysit everyone's inventory in the mission itself rather than everyone just has some effective baseline gear that doesn't cripple them. It's really loving rough.

All that out there though, if you like the XCOM formula, this is still an updated XCOM with the OG creator himself at the wheel. It has a lot of other neat ideas, and there is fun to be had - I played the game for 40 hours, and I'm not a dude who does sunk cost fallacy in games. If I wasn't having fun I would have shelved it much earlier. There's some cool enemy ideas, some fun overworld interaction to be had, and if you aren't Lovecraft'd out the writing is perfectly serviceable and creepy. Also, the big multi-part enemies legitimately own and I hope they appear in later Firaxcoms that may or may not be in development, those fights are loving great. I've been thinking about trying it again with the new DLC (thought I've also heard mixed things about it) so the game wasn't bad enough to completely turn me off of it. There's def some cool gameplay to be had. Just be aware that if you're used to XCOM 2's near perfection, this is not at all it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

buy Overload

Way ahead of you, champ! Great game, I own the DLC and really should play that.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I saw this post about an upcoming goon-made game in the Making Games thread, and got excited enough about it I thought other people might also be interested in seeing the trailer/posts about it, so cross-posting them here! It looks like a really great local coop game to play with friends/family (esp those who are not as into gaming) - having a chiller gameplay loop than Overcooked + more going on story-wise seems like it will be an amazing combo.

Metos posted:

Innchanted!

Here's the first video our publisher made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpL0jbW9fEM

Short pitch: Run a magical Inn in Fantasy pre-colonised Australia, while a Wizard (colonisation) is trying to run you out of business to take over your land. Serve customers magic potions, fight or feed hangry monsters, and choose how to take care of your inn in the evenings. Playable up to 4p co-op, or with an AI party member who's as good as (if not better) than your friends.

It's designed to hit the people who can't handle the stress of Overcooked, but who need games to play with their partner/friends/family.

More screenshots and such at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369720/Innchanted/

And some more details:

Metos posted:

Yeah we're doing many things that aren't genre-norm at all. 4 set characters with backstories you explore instead of choosing your favourite whacky-looking blank slate, a dedicated phase of the game where you slow down as much as you want and explore story and make choices that buff your next day, customers and helping cute animals being the goal rather than creating the food is the goal, and accessible controls where you don't need to spam buttons all the time (you can drink your own magic potions for buffs if you want to go fast). All of it has felt like a huge risk for a while.

And a gameplay GIF from the Steam page:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Continuing my ARPG journey, I just ran across The Slormancer on my main Steam page. It's still in EA but looks promising for $13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsS2nC7u4Dw

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I've put in 120 hours+ into Endless Space 2 and enjoyed it a lot, not without some problems (AI for the Vodyani is worthless, and probably will never be fixed because it's too complex) but lots of fun anyways. Lots of "one more turn, oh poo poo, it's 4am and I have work at 5"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gromit posted:

I don't want to be greedy, but happy to help out someone overburdened with platformers. I'm into puzzley ones like LIMBO, Trine or Little Nightmares etc. If that's too limited a field though, something that is NOT hard-mode precision. I'm too old to bang my head against that sort of thing.
Thanks mate!

Xander77 dropped Pankapu on me, which looks like some Rayman-esque platforming. Expect a quick review of it once I get a chance.
Thanks bud!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Guys the keyboard vs controller debate is a solved problem, I have one of these and it's great:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Somebody link that thread of bad controllers?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I swear it looks terrible, but it's really good, I promise.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Guys the keyboard vs controller debate is a solved problem, I have one of these and it's great:

"AZERON" he murmurs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

my fingers don't bend that way

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You use your knuckles for the top buttons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is clearly a Decepticon.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, that sure is a thing.

I had a cheap off-brand version of a razer tartarus for a while. Apart from looking ridiculous, the issue with the funky hand controllers is that they don’t even have enough keys for most games.

The thumb pad and scroll wheel were weirdly useful though. It was neat binding them so I could pan and zoom maps in rpgs :shobon:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What games need 26 buttons that aren't MMOs?

That's

qwert
asdfg
zxcvb
Tab Caps Shift CTRL Alt

AND you free up WASD for movement because you use the joystick for it
Then you have the 5 switch, for another 5 buttons for F1->F5

What are you playing that needs more than 35 functional inputs?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

What games need 26 buttons that aren't MMOs?

That's

qwert
asdfg
zxcvb
Tab Caps Shift CTRL Alt

AND you free up WASD for movement because you use the joystick for it
Then you have the 5 switch, for another 5 buttons for F1->F5

What are you playing that needs more than 35 functional inputs?

Elite, and that still leaves about ~100 important things unbound :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Underwhelmed posted:

The best control combination is a mouse and an analog controller for movement. These are things you can buy. Azeron makes a great one if cost is no object, but as long as you aren't some mutant that uses their mouse left handed there are cheaper options available as well.

I got one of these guys

Its pretty cool to play FF14, I can use the thumbstick to move while still using my fingers for the hotkeys and can still use the mouse!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all of these devices seem like they would be very uncomfortable to fit up my butt

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Leal posted:

I got one of these guys

Its pretty cool to play FF14, I can use the thumbstick to move while still using my fingers for the hotkeys and can still use the mouse!

This is the good poo poo. I also have one. Would recommend if not for the fact it’s out of production and stupidity expensive secondhand.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah the tartarus I don't like because it has a dpad instead of analogue, same with the orbweaver. Your only real choices for the analogue sticks is the G13 which is direct input, and the Azeron.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the good poo poo. I also have one. Would recommend if not for the fact it’s out of production and stupidity expensive secondhand.

Yeah I have no idea what the hell happened like right after I picked up mine. Don't understand why they stopped completely. I wanted to grab a back up just in case too :(

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I sold mine to gamestop like an idiot and ended up having to buy that $200 claw hand replacement

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Should I buy "Grey Goo"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
These new game profiles on the point store own.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do I need any DLC for RE7 or are they just side stuff?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do I need any DLC for RE7 or are they just side stuff?

I watched a streamer play the DLC where you are a dude that beats the poo poo out of BOWs with his bare hands and I think you should probably get that one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

End of Zoe is a pretty substantial addition

Diephoon posted:

I watched a streamer play the DLC where you are a dude that beats the poo poo out of BOWs with his bare hands and I think you should probably get that one

This is End of Zoe

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I buy "Grey Goo"

If you have a soft spot for old school C&C it's worth checking out but it really doesn't do anything new. I think you could extract $10 of fun out of it. It's got Frank Klepacki!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you mean ESDF right
only a fool would use WASD and miss out on all that access to extra buttons

Ironically, back when I did still use the arrow keys for real one of the main reasons I stuck with them is because in TF2 it was useful to have the Insert and etc. keys and the numpad handy for call outs and Spy disguises and such.

Sway Grunt posted:

I never actually figured out how to deal with the dragon on the bridge in DS:R and I have now similarly failed to deal with the dragon on the bridge in DS3. Maybe I'll come back later because I'm supposed to give someone a ring here somewhere and I think I've been everywhere but that one tower the dragon's blocking. Undead Settlement looks awesome from a distance though so I think I'm happy moving on for now.

The DS1 one has three options, sort of: 1) Just ignore it entirely, because I think it only gives like, 2000 souls or something but with the effort it takes to kill it you could've just cleared the Parish and gotten the same amount with less risk. 2) Shoot the tail from below with arrows until it breaks for one of the many sick early game weapons that blows up the difficulty curve. 3) You sit and wait in the little nook by the stairs until it finally realizes its fire isn't working so it drops down to fight you directly and then you probably die anyway because it's not really designed to be fought. I guess you can also try and get the tail cut this way if you really want to.

For whatever reason the one in 3 isn't nearly as fleshed out. You can waste five minutes attacking it from range until it fucks off (it drops a bonus bit of titanite if you bother), you can suck it up and make a mad scramble to get past the fire breath (it is 100% possible to reach the gate without dying horribly and subsequently loot the other stuff up on that battlement and hey the bonfire isn't far away anyhow), and finally you can wait until like, 85% of the game is over and then it apparently vanishes which is obviously the worst option.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In DS1 it's also possible to intentionally bait the dragon onto the bridge without waiting- if you stand in the safe alcove by the stairs and point your bow at him, he jumps down onto the bridge. You can run past him then (since it takes him longer to fly back to the fire breath perch than it takes you to make it to safety), or smack his feet for some decent damage, run back into the cubby, wait for him to reset, and repeat.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

OhFunny posted:

These new game profiles on the point store own.

Those are definitely cool.

On the other hand, it's half the cool ones and half horny motherfuckers flooding the algorithm (borderline :nws:, I can't tell and don't really want to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

I got one of these guys

I’m a lefty, so my options are limited but yeah, thumb stick and mouse is life changing. Maybe not life changing unless you live a really dull life, but still, good.

Boba Pearl posted:

I swear it looks terrible, but it's really good, I promise.

Truth.