Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wtf who debates getting the dog?

The pro move is to get the dog first and eat it before shopping so you’re not hungry while looking at impulse buy food items.

this is what i used to do with the turkey sandwiches :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

durrneez posted:

this is what i used to do with the turkey sandwiches :qq:

i miss those sandwiches for real. also the caesar salad. :sigh:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eating the dog first just makes me buy a pack of the refrigerated hot dogs to take home

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I tried one of the churros today and holy gently caress they're awesome

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This thread has convinced me to start turning my barcodes up as I put items into my cart, that's an easy timesaver (and less lifting) for everyone involved
I've done this for years and for a long time knew the people at checkout by name and they sure as hell appreciated it. One of them is managing another Costco location now; too far for me but I was happy he totally deserved that promotion; he's a cool dude, had him over for Thanksgiving once.

Anyhow... especially for non-kirkland items you want those barcodes up; If you look at the design of Kirkland products they have like 2 - 4 barcodes on them, especially big stuff like cat food, dog food, and toilet paper/paper towels. That non-kirkland dog/cat food though? Going to have 1 - 2 barcodes. I noticed like Pedigree dog food eventually put an extra bar code on years ago, and I'm wondering if Costco nudges manufacturers who they have a relationship with to add more barcodes.

lowcrabdiet posted:

FWIW, since the pandemic my Costco has been asking people to leave everything in the cart. They've been allowing items back on the belt again in the last couple months or so, but some cashiers will still ask you to leave everything in the cart.
Yeah, and what's funny about this is in the before-times Costco was like "NO NO NO; new rule: have to take almost everything out of the cart", so even when I'd come in with a cart that had like 20 items with barcodes facing (What else am I going to do while waiting in line; might as well be helpful), I had to put stuff on the belt anyway. Lot of the employees were annoyed with that rule change iirc. I think it was a regional management thing.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some people here still have a hard no-onion-dispenser no-dog policy. Modern day tragedy.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Mine just got self checkout, and I got hustled for auto renewing my membership. Joke was on him because, I have the card.

Now to figure out if the available monitors are worth it :pcgaming:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Geodude posted:

Good find yesterday: they have Pendleton picnic blankets that fold up nice with a handle. Perfect for putting in your trunk for impromptu relaxing.

These are also great for impromptu car repairs.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
how much are they selling those roll up blankets for

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I bought some Glacier shorts a couple of weeks ago and they're fantastic. Sadly I went back to grab a few more and they were gone.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I want costco to just slap rfid labels on everything so I just walk through some arch that scans everything and irradiates me with EMF and charges my card automatically so I don’t have to unload my cart or interact with another human, is that too much to ask?!?

Didn't the Amazon stores do this? How did that work out?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

I tried one of the churros today and holy gently caress they're awesome

you have churrosen wisely

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Didn't the Amazon stores do this? How did that work out?

Yeah they have a slightly different method for it where it uses cameras and poo poo to watch shoppers and what they pick up from the shelf etc, and it is for little things like a single yogurt. I think they are expanding it beyond the pilot stores in seattle too.

IBM had an ad for this wayyyy back in like, `99 or so and it made an impression on me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvHK40N87mE

It repeats for some reason the actual ad is only 1minute long

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

priznat posted:

Yeah they have a slightly different method for it where it uses cameras and poo poo to watch shoppers and what they pick up from the shelf etc, and it is for little things like a single yogurt. I think they are expanding it beyond the pilot stores in seattle too.

IBM had an ad for this wayyyy back in like, `99 or so and it made an impression on me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvHK40N87mE

It repeats for some reason the actual ad is only 1minute long

This is peak 90’s hahaha.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The pro move is to get the dog first and eat it before shopping so you’re not hungry while looking at impulse buy food items.

:hmmyes:

Pro tier Costco shopper right here

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

metachronos posted:

This is peak 90’s hahaha.

It totally is, the "shoplifter" guy actor was in a LOT of ads back then.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Went to church today and it was awesome. It's a bajillion degrees here in Portland this weekend so Costco was really quiet for a Saturday afternoon. It was really nice. Got a bunch of chicken and some Breathe Right strips that my wife insists reduce my snoring (I have my doubts) at night.

I volunteered my Costco account to my company to link to our Citi card since the owner had already used up all of his allowed shares, so now I get to double dip on those executive rewards, but last week our company card was compromised somehow (somebody ordered a bunch of Milwaukie tools with my card #, we contested the purchases, but then a ton of boxes of tools showed up at the owners house, weird.) so I have a new card on the way in the next couple of days. My personal card has worked fine this whole time, but when I scanned it at self checkout today they had to bring a manager over to push a bunch of buttons on the terminal. I wonder if my Costco account number changed with the new credit card request or something...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
breathe right strips are worthless, get the darth vader machine

it sucks and you cant get one at costco

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Churchpostin' during communion. Sadly all they have right now is ketchup and yellow mustard.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Inspector 34 posted:

Went to church today and it was awesome. It's a bajillion degrees here in Portland this weekend so Costco was really quiet for a Saturday afternoon. It was really nice. Got a bunch of chicken and some Breathe Right strips that my wife insists reduce my snoring (I have my doubts) at night.

I volunteered my Costco account to my company to link to our Citi card since the owner had already used up all of his allowed shares, so now I get to double dip on those executive rewards, but last week our company card was compromised somehow (somebody ordered a bunch of Milwaukie tools with my card #, we contested the purchases, but then a ton of boxes of tools showed up at the owners house, weird.) so I have a new card on the way in the next couple of days. My personal card has worked fine this whole time, but when I scanned it at self checkout today they had to bring a manager over to push a bunch of buttons on the terminal. I wonder if my Costco account number changed with the new credit card request or something...
I hope the owner isn't trying to scam somehow to get money.
I'm serious just be careful you never really know people

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Geodude posted:

Our self check out uses different colored receipt paper so when the receipt checkers look it over they REALLY look it over.

Good find yesterday: they have Pendleton picnic blankets that fold up nice with a handle. Perfect for putting in your trunk for impromptu relaxing.

Oh I was wondering why my receipt was like, purple.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I can't eat meat anymore and I just had to do a costco run without my customary two dogs and a water. I cried about it in the parking lot while my confused fiance tried to console me. My stupid worthless gallbladder has taken away something sacred.

I got four big bags of normandy vegetables because I eat them twice a day now. GODBLESS I love them drat things.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Infidel Castro posted:

Churchpostin' during communion. Sadly all they have right now is ketchup and yellow mustard.

I didn't realize the thread I clicked on and was very confused by this post. And now I have a funny picture in my head of an altar boy offering condiments for your Jesus wafer.

fizzymercury posted:

I got four big bags of normandy vegetables because I eat them twice a day now. GODBLESS I love them drat things.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

fizzymercury posted:

I can't eat meat anymore and I just had to do a costco run without my customary two dogs and a water. I cried about it in the parking lot while my confused fiance tried to console me. My stupid worthless gallbladder has taken away something sacred.

I feel your pain, I was diagnosed with celiacs a couple of months ago. One of the biggest things I miss is getting a slice or dog on the way out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
doesnt anyone want to join me in protest of the inhumane hot dog conditions? nation wide wildcat strike except in front of costco. making a big rear end picketing sign that says "DISPENSE ME ONIONS OR GIVE ME DEATH"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Spinz posted:

I hope the owner isn't trying to scam somehow to get money.
I'm serious just be careful you never really know people

Yeah I hear you. The card isn't really connected to me in any meaningful way other than racking up rewards on my Costco membership, I'd never open myself up to credit fuckery for the benefit of the company. In this particular case if he actually had ordered all those tools I doubt he would have said anything about it instead of being just as confused as the rest of us. I figure whoever did get ahold of my card # just forgot to uncheck the "shipping address same as billing address" box when they made the order.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

thathonkey posted:

doesnt anyone want to join me in protest of the inhumane hot dog conditions? nation wide wildcat strike except in front of costco. making a big rear end picketing sign that says "DISPENSE ME ONIONS OR GIVE ME DEATH"

We should nail our list of grievances to the warehouse door.

1. We demand the return of the onion dispenser.
2. We demand deli mustard be made immediately available.
3. Bulgogi Mandu shall be available year round.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Yeah, I had a credit card fraud item show up on my doorstep once, it’s not out of the question.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Infidel Castro posted:

We should nail our list of grievances to the warehouse door.

1. We demand the return of the onion dispenser.
2. We demand deli mustard be made immediately available.
3. Bulgogi Mandu Melona shall be available year round.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They had a couple of samples out and the plexiglass around the registers is gone.

Are they bringing back the meat cases on the weekends with the tomahawk steaks and seafood?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

infraboy posted:

I like self checkout generally because there is always one person in every line that takes absolutely forever to pay as if it's their first time every buying something. Like I have my Costco card and credit card in hand ready to go once I see the total, stick that chip in the reader, get receipt and say thank you then i'm on my way out within seconds and debating if I should stop for the hotdog.

You need to get the Costco credit card. Save yourself even more time because it is also your Membership card and you don't have to insert it to pay, just tap it to the top of the CC machine while they are still scanning your items. The receipt usually prints before they can tell you the total you already paid...

Also the gas pumps now have tap to pay so you save time there too. Tap and it does both the membership and pay part all at once.

I now go to my local CO for gas Friday Morning on my way into work. Never have to wait in line and it takes me 5 minutes to get my gas. Good for the weekend, usually.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

fizzymercury posted:

Hi really quick I just wanted to give you some advice. Which is fresh vegetables, roasted. Take a look around on something awful for ways to have vegetables. I swear roasting vegetables can transform how you eat and it's super good for you.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I tried the Kirkland brand protein bars because the nutrition information looked genuinely good compared to everything else at the store. The chocolate peanut butter one is okay and the rest kind of taste like crap. So I'll use them for convenience when I travel or something but that's it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Spinz posted:

Hi really quick I just wanted to give you some advice. Which is fresh vegetables, roasted. Take a look around on something awful for ways to have vegetables. I swear roasting vegetables can transform how you eat and it's super good for you.
Oh I roast all my vegetables. The best food on this planet is a roasted brussels sprouts and onions and apples. I'll stick anything in the oven at 425f to see what's up.

But holy poo poo my dumbass didn't think to roast the frozen veg until you posted that and now I feel kinda dumb.

Also those loving protein bars look so amazing and then disappoint so hard. My roommate is a pervert and actually enjoys the brownie ones. Animal.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Spinz posted:

I tried the Kirkland brand protein bars because the nutrition information looked genuinely good compared to everything else at the store. The chocolate peanut butter one is okay and the rest kind of taste like crap. So I'll use them for convenience when I travel or something but that's it.

They changed the recipe in the past couple years. They used to be real good. The cookies n' cream is still pretty good. They aren't as low carb as they seem due to the ingredients used. Before the change, they were one of the best low carb options on the market.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

FCKGW posted:

The cheese pizza has more cheese than the pepperoni does

This is the case at many/most pizza places, just not to the degree it is at costco. It's easy to hide that you're going easy on the cheese if the pizza has toppings to hide it.

Regarding Self-Checkout:
I always use full service checkout at Costco because I don't want those cashiers to lose their job to machines.
I always use self-checkout at Walmart because losing their Walmart job would be a blessing to those cashiers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can't buy alcohol at self checkout.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Spinz posted:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

fizzymercury posted:

Oh I roast all my vegetables. The best food on this planet is a roasted brussels sprouts and onions and apples. I'll stick anything in the oven at 425f to see what's up.

But holy poo poo my dumbass didn't think to roast the frozen veg until you posted that and now I feel kinda dumb.

Also those loving protein bars look so amazing and then disappoint so hard. My roommate is a pervert and actually enjoys the brownie ones. Animal.

Try roasted fennel bulb with cherry tomatoes, with just a spritz of lemon juice and oil. It's heavenly. Also parsnips.

Brussel sprouts and onions is top-tier though, never tried with apples.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not a fan of onions but I’m definitely doing it with apples and bacon next time.

Do you season them with anything? I normally roast them with a little olive oil salt and pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Try roasted fennel bulb with cherry tomatoes, with just a spritz of lemon juice and oil. It's heavenly. Also parsnips.

Brussel sprouts and onions is top-tier though, never tried with apples.
Aw thanks so much for this! I have fennel wasting away in my crisper and I didn't know what to do with it. Sounds good.

Try the apples. I do two small honeycrisps or opals per half sheet pan of sprouts and as much onion as I can fit in there. Hit it with some extra pepper, it need it.

MarcusSA posted:

Not a fan of onions but I’m definitely doing it with apples and bacon next time.

Do you season them with anything? I normally roast them with a little olive oil salt and pepper.

It's so drat good with just bacon and apples. Make sure you dice the bacon or it cooks badly. I do olive oil, s&p, and a few good shakes of crushed red pepper. If it needs "something" at the end, give it a splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 28, 2021