Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What are the goon favorite dishwashers? If I can't get our cheap builder grade frigidaire to stop leaking I'm going to need to replace it and when I do I want it to be the best drat dishwasher I can afford.

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

b o s c h benchmark

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Or 800 series if you don’t want to spend 50% more for two decibels and three buttons you’ll probably never use

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And if you choose any other brand you're getting a 6er.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

corgski posted:

What are the goon favorite dishwashers? If I can't get our cheap builder grade frigidaire to stop leaking I'm going to need to replace it and when I do I want it to be the best drat dishwasher I can afford?
Samsung :evilbuddy:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Bosch anything; They all clean as well, have 3 racks, and don't use an electric heating element to melt your stuff, but the main difference comes in drying (mostly plastics). 300 is just convection heating, 500 series pops the door open automatically to air dry a bit, and the 800 series uses some super mineral that absorbs moisture out of the air. Your can't go wrong with even the 300 so you can decide how much the upgrades at each level are with to you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

Or 800 series if you don’t want to spend 50% more for two decibels and three buttons you’ll probably never use

Also the display that tells you the part of the cycle and time left that is projected on the floor.

I love it. It's also not worth the money, but I'm gonna die on this hill because I already bought the thing.

(also, at the time the 800 series did not have an option of a water softener or the zoolite heat sink thing that makes it dry so well)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Our German house had the floor timer as well, but I didn't know it was a Bosch thing. Totally useless to us but if it comes with then I won't complain; ordered the 800 since it was actually in stock compared to the others locally but I was not heartbroken about having to do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Our German house had the floor timer as well, but I didn't know it was a Bosch thing.

Not a Bosch thing, it's a Bosch Benchmark series thing (at least it was.....I don't know if this has crept down the models yet).

It's really not all that useful. But the dishwasher itself is great at doing it's job of washing dishes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Samsung :evilbuddy:

Anyone else care to press their luck? :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

drat look at that pecking order.

(You're right of course, but to keep with the theme Kaiser should sixer me for mod sass, not you)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

H110Hawk posted:

gently caress you I’m getting a Thermador!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I never understood why someone would want to eat lobster cooked in a dishwasher

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have a Samsung dishwasher, yes it sucks, no I didn’t buy it myself. I expect the dishes would dry better if I breathed on them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

BonerGhost posted:

I never understood why someone would want to eat lobster cooked in a dishwasher

There’s no “I” in Thermador BUDDY

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

drat look at that pecking order.

(You're right of course, but to keep with the theme Kaiser should sixer me for mod sass, not you)

:v:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I see you.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Right, Bob mini dishwasher it is then :grovertoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVup5ya0WVQ

Oh wait you said Bosch my mistake they both start the same

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Nah, Life’s Good for me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

corgski posted:

:kimchi: that's too adorable.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

all you need is a three compartment sink and your trusty bottle of steramine tablets. anything else is a luxury.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

Not a Bosch thing, it's a Bosch Benchmark series thing (at least it was.....I don't know if this has crept down the models yet).

It's really not all that useful. But the dishwasher itself is great at doing it's job of washing dishes.

The 800 has it as an option.

My parents just had to replace a lovely ge that died at thier coast house in may and they felt lucky to even get a bosch 100. They have an 800 at home, but apparently they're pretty happen with it.
It's a front control model, which isn't the coolest looking but it's actually pretty handy.

corgski posted:

That's fun. In my apartment I had a Danby counter top dishwasher that is comparably massive, and honestly it worked loving amazing.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 26, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Bosch 800 series dishwasher is the best option, but I will say I don't hate the top of the line (3 years ago) Whirlpool dishwasher my house came with. It's the model WDT970SAHZ. I know the Bosch is hard to come by, but this Whirlpool I have is pretty good as far as dishwashers go, and might be worth looking at if you can't find a Bosch.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'm going to bed anyway so :shrug:

KitchenAid models in the Bosch 300+ price range are fine, the third racks are well thought out and they dry dishes well. Our last model had bottle wash which was wonderful but our new one has cup/mug cleaners that make up for the lack of bottle wash.

Also the KitchenAid racks feel less jank than Bosch racks. Why is it so hard to make decent racks? So many of them feel terrible.

E: we had a mid grade Whirlpool that came with the house, I thought it was entry builder grade after getting used to our old house's KitchenAid. Turns out that lovely Whirlpool cost $629US. Total junk for the price, didn't dry worth a drat, loud as gently caress, did not-awful at cleaning but not good enough for me. You do get tangible improvements as you climb the price ladder towards/above a grand.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 26, 2021

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

The previous owners of my house are Jewish so we have two dishwashers side by side. I was skeptical of whether it would work for our needs but turns out it’s pretty great. Until they fail. Then it will suck x2.

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 26, 2021

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have a hisense dishwasher that has a cutlery draw and pops open to dry.

Provided it lasts five years I'm quids in. I might try and get a spare pump for it because that is probably the part that will die first.

I broke not one, not 2 but 3 cat6 cables yesterday so now I have to fix that. Two can't be fully rerun due to being buried so fingers crossed I can find the break...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

Mooolti-pass

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm here for the free mini probe

We handwash our dishes lol

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Why limit yourself to a unitasker?

Girls, to do the dishes,
Girls, to clean up my room,
Girls, to do the laundry.

3 MCs and 1 short probe

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 26, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

we have a Panasonic which makes a massive upgrade from "not having a dishwasher," so I'll take it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

amethystbliss posted:

The previous owners of my house are Jewish so we have two dishwashers side by side. I was skeptical of whether it would work for our needs but turns out it’s pretty great. Until they fail. Then it will suck x2.

Is this a Sabbath-mode thing?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I assume it's for separate food types. I visited a wealthy Jewish couples house and they had 2 full 3-basin sinks for that purpose as well. Their kitchen was enormous and awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is this a Sabbath-mode thing?

That's a kosher kitchen thing. EVERYTHING needs to be separated including utensils and all of your cleanup stuff.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
My place came with a Miele, and it’s been great. No one’s in camp Miele around here?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

captain chauncey posted:

My place came with a Miele, and it’s been great. No one’s in camp Miele around here?

Mieles are the best, but also very expensive.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Actually Meiles do look really nice and apparently are one of the only appliance brands still built to last forever, they were just out of my office range for equivalent features to the Bosch.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Mieles are the best, but also very expensive.

:stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Actually Meiles do look really nice and apparently are one of the only appliance brands still built to last forever, they were just out of my office range for equivalent features to the Bosch.

:patriot:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

My wife noticed a couple our of joists are moving, and I'm curious what the best way is to address and prevent it.

Side A:

Side B:

Where this is happening is directly below the most traveled doorway in the house. After some light googling I can say there is some cross bridging and block supports, but insufficient, apparently. This is also happening directly above a very shoddily built chase, and I wouldn't be shocked if some additional support was removed in favor of ductwork.

Full context: the basement of this house was cursed by a very powerful Gary. We've taken down most of the sheetrock due to water ingress and moisture issues, and in the process discovered a whole lot of bad and/or straight up dangerous poo poo. My best guess is the basement was originally unfinished, then very poorly finished to sell the house (for the record we got it after it was foreclosed on and sat empty for a year).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hard to tell from the pictures, but how much overlap do you have on those joists? They don't appear to be properly fastened to each other, that's for sure, but before suggesting anything it's best to have an idea of the span of it as well as how much overlap.

Also, check if the floor above is level. May require some jacking (or even a permanent lally column) to get things in line before you (re)fasten the sistered joists back together.

Edit:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Full context: the basement of this house was cursed by a very powerful Gary.

Just lol that my thread/PO is infecting other threads now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Are there any "intelligent" thermostats that can make decisions and schedule themselves for efficiency and do remote sensors and things like that, that aren't also internet-connected devices?

After my Harmony remotes got cancelled, I decided I wasn't going to let anything built into my house depend on software-as-a-service.