Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

God drat this is somehow even more powerful. Thanks for sharing this. That photo of Gordon chokes me up every single time I watch this scene.

You’re welcome. It still gets me too. And as someone who’s finding his life path is taking him back home after being away for six years, the whole ending hits a bit harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I've watched a lot of shows the past couple of years many of them based on recommendations in this thread. HACF is still one of the best out of everything I watched and even after a few months I still think about it all the time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Just started watching Murder, She Wrote on Peacock and I can already tell I'm going to probably be enjoying this one

have you seen Columbo? if not, you're in for a treat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Geekslinger posted:

I've watched a lot of shows the past couple of years many of them based on recommendations in this thread. HACF is still one of the best out of everything I watched and even after a few months I still think about it all the time.

If you or anyone else who loved HaCF hasn't seen Six Feet Under yet, I strongly suspect you'd really enjoy it. It's also a drama about flawed but relatable human beings where you end up feeling like they're real people you know personally and care about.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fate Accomplice posted:

Not really, this kinda happened cause I saw a dumb meme about Columbo on Tumblr the other day, which led to a Wikipedia dive into all sorts of Detective shows and stories and on a whim I looked up some of these shows availability on streaming and saw it was on Peacock(along with Columbo incidentally) which I already had a subscription to

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I stumbled across Philly DA - Breaking the Law on the BBC iplayer. It follows the election of a progressive as the District Attorney of Philadelphia. I've binged the first three and a bit episodes.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anyone like Yellowstone? I watched the laboriously long pilot episode and I think all the characters are either dull or I despise them. I can't really tell the sons apart because they all have big beards and cowboy hats. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be rooting for the guy that owns a ridiculous amount of land and is the ultimate nimby that doesn't allow cities to build any housing.

The same people who cried at the end of Sons of Anarchy think Yellowstone is the best show currently airing. Really the same people I know who think SoA was one of the best shoes of all time love Yellowstone. Myself I watched all 3 seasons due to COVID watching last year and it became my guilty pleasure show of 2020. It is not good, but I like it in some strange way (I’m not even hate watching). Shame since given the writer and cast this should have been pure gold.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Fate Accomplice posted:

Magnum P.I. can be a little uneven but is generally pretty watchable and not just in an ironic 80’s time capsule sort of way.

I haven’t seen all that many Columbos but they’ve been good. Love the 90min episodes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just binged through Halt and Catch fire in like 2 weeks. I actually cried multiple times during the final season. That's a first for me.

Highly recommend it and I don't know that I've ever seen a show finish on such a profound note. Just incredible.

Halt and Catch Fire was very good. I've found that AMC is very trustworthy as far as their shows go. Obviously Breaking Bad and Mad Men were pretty groundbreaking. Better Call Saul is great. The mini-series The Terror (specifically the first season) was excellent. Quite a few other shows that I'll eventually get around to watching here someday.

Don't think I've really seen it mentioned here much....but Bates Motel on A&E was super good. Been over for a few years now.

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned much here.....Patriot on Amazon Prime. It's a real shame that it came and went without much notice or recognition. Only got two seasons....which is really unfortunate. One of the best shows I've seen in a while. Not really sure how you'd classify it.....but I'd put it as a drama/black comedy. Writing and acting both top notch. Humor was at times laugh out loud, but smart enough to not slap you in the face with it. I even feel like the last episode of season 2 (series finale) did a decent enough job of putting a bow on things. I'm sure the show runners had the thought that they'd maybe not see a third season.

Think I am willing to say that it is the best (non-sit-comedy) show I've watched since Chernobyl a couple of years ago.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 27, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Patriot is like, one of TVIV’s favourite shows. It’s fantastic.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’ve been watching Manhunt: Unabomber on Netflix and I’ve been really enjoying it. Paul Bettany is amazing as Ted Kaczynski, like I wouldn’t have even realized it was him had I not known otherwise. Mark Duplass as his brother is great too. Definitely scratching my crime dramatization itch

Also I’ve somehow gotten into The Good Fight besides the Paramount+ app constantly loving up and making me restart it every episode :mad:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been jumping around binging a few shows,

Boardwalk Empire, Perry Mason, and The Man in the High Castle.

And earlier I watched Leatherheads and right now I'm watching Dodgeball

Why do I mention this? Because son of a bitch if entirely unintentionally, Stephen Root has shown up in every single one of them.

Stephen Root owns so much. He is never on the A-list but good god, I swear he shows up in every other show I binge and just absolutely owns every scene he is in.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I binge watched all of Bosch last year during the height of the pandemic because I was basically out of new things to watch. I wrote it off because I always felt like Titus Welliver was going to try to sell me Comcast cable, plus not really into cop shows. I was pleasantly surprised by it though. Enough to keep watching.

Well it's back now, for a final(?) season. About halfway through the episodes but they go down smooth. Also, the lieutenant calls a bunch of cops incels lol.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

I’ve been watching Manhunt: Unabomber on Netflix and I’ve been really enjoying it. Paul Bettany is amazing as Ted Kaczynski, like I wouldn’t have even realized it was him had I not known otherwise. Mark Duplass as his brother is great too. Definitely scratching my crime dramatization itch

Also I’ve somehow gotten into The Good Fight besides the Paramount+ app constantly loving up and making me restart it every episode :mad:

They did a couple of those, I enjoyed the Richard Jewell one.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Speaking of, I've been re-watching The Good Wife and it continues to be excellent.

Except for the Kalinda's husband plot.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Patriot on Amazon Prime.

I have good news and mixed news.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And I have bad news about that mixed news:

https://twitter.com/stevconrad/status/1223121931764785152?s=21

https://twitter.com/stevconrad/status/1223136000999903232?s=21

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

The paramount + app is terrible. I keep it because I love the content but the app is the worst. Well the worst before I signed up for peacock which is somehow even worse.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I have a Fire TV Cube and the new UI they have for that is absolutely horrendous.

"Continue Watching" is 2 screens down, and the search button is off to the side now and you have to click a button to tell it you want to type instead of speak. Absolutely mind boggling.

The only thing I'll give them is that their skip forward/backwards buttons are amazing. So much better than fast forwarding for a couple seconds with the little picture preview that takes forever to show up.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been jumping around binging a few shows,

Boardwalk Empire, Perry Mason, and The Man in the High Castle.

And earlier I watched Leatherheads and right now I'm watching Dodgeball

Why do I mention this? Because son of a bitch if entirely unintentionally, Stephen Root has shown up in every single one of them.

I was really excited when Tatiana Maslany showed up in Perry Mason but disappointed when there was only 1 of her in the show.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

I binge watched all of Bosch last year during the height of the pandemic because I was basically out of new things to watch. I wrote it off because I always felt like Titus Welliver was going to try to sell me Comcast cable, plus not really into cop shows. I was pleasantly surprised by it though. Enough to keep watching.

Well it's back now, for a final(?) season. About halfway through the episodes but they go down smooth. Also, the lieutenant calls a bunch of cops incels lol.

I watched it all this winter and am finishing the last season now. It sounds like a spin off is coming, but don’t look into the plan until you are finished with season 7. It doesn’t feel like they are trying too hard, but it is a nice final season, giving lots of characters one last chance to shine.

Incel cop story so good, nice junk food side story.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't care at all about any of the dumb Avengers/Thor movies and sure as hell didn't sit through many of them, but Loki seems good to me so far as a standalone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Stephen Root owns so much. He is never on the A-list but good god, I swear he shows up in every other show I binge and just absolutely owns every scene he is in.

My favorite role for him is probably when he played a vampire in True Blood.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I was really excited when Tatiana Maslany showed up in Perry Mason but disappointed when there was only 1 of her in the show.

She was pretty great. I was only sorta into Perry Mason at first, but the religious plot actually got me on the edge of my seat to find out how they'd resolve the conflict.

I was pretty bummed when I finished S1 and Amazon jumped me to a different show, and I realized that there's only 1 season out so far.

When are they going to take binge-viewing to the next level and drop multiple seasons at once? :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 28, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The church storyline is a dud imo. I couldn't believe they spent that much time on it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It didn't even need any of the "Perry Mason" characters in it at all, could have easily been "L.A. Crime Stories" or "Drunk Detective Lawyer" something something.

Evil Groucho Marx guy was cool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the edgy prestige version with an expensive WW1 scene for no reason

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

I don't care at all about any of the dumb Avengers/Thor movies and sure as hell didn't sit through many of them, but Loki seems good to me so far as a standalone.

It’s definitely watchable, but I don’t love it. Be prepared for lots of scenes of Loki and some other character going round and round in pointless conversation to pad out episode time, and tons of exposition to get us oriented to the new setting. The retro aesthetic is cool (but Maniac did it better.)

I think part of my problem is that I just watched WandaVision which, while not perfect, seemed like it actually had something to say, while so far Loki seems like it’s checking off some box in the 10 year plan of Marvel spin-offs.

I’m also not totally feeling the Owen Wilson character.

I’m probably being over critical but there you are.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

At 3 eps in to Wandavision, it wasn't really apparent what the show had to say, either.
I did find the "everyone look shocked/terrified and run on queue" scenes to be less believably performed, or presented, than anything else I've seen in the mcu.

But I'll watch any of that marvel superheros stuff. I'm very happy they're being done competently now, and not more of the fantastic 4 film tier garbage.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

B33rChiller posted:

At 3 eps in to Wandavision, it wasn't really apparent what the show had to say, either.
I did find the "everyone look shocked/terrified and run on queue" scenes to be less believably performed, or presented, than anything else I've seen in the mcu.

But I'll watch any of that marvel superheros stuff. I'm very happy they're being done competently now, and not more of the fantastic 4 film tier garbage.

These episodes are twice as long so we are more around episode 6 of Wandavisions run.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

finally finished Fringe. not a bad show, but probably wouldn't have watched it all if it wasn't for the Walter Bishop character.

currently half-way through the first season of The Americans and really like it so far

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Thanks for the heads up. I'll finally get to put that worthless channel to use.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

There you go. There you loving go.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

currently half-way through the first season of The Americans and really like it so far

It's so good, I kinda want to watch it again sometime soon.

We're almost through season 1 of Buffy, and it's corny as gently caress but it's fun. We're also starting Halt and Catch Fire, and are about three episodes in. We watched this first season when it first came out and really liked it, but just didn't stick with it when later seasons came out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

finally finished Fringe. not a bad show, but probably wouldn't have watched it all if it wasn't for the Walter Bishop character.

Yeah Walter rules. Too bad the show seemed more interested in Dawson's Creek guy.

I really liked it up until like the third big alternate universe twist and then it felt like the show wasn't going anywhere.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Americans is peak television. It only gets better from here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

lol did you miss my post right after

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mental Hospitality posted:

There's a spinoff coming starring.....Bosch

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bosch question. We watches S1 a while ago, but my recollection is when we started S2 it looked to be all about sexual violence stuff and my wife didn't want to deal with that for a whole season. Do the later seasons have a lot of that too (vs. just dudes getting murdered), and are the seasons independent enough you could skip to S3 and not be totally lost?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Apple TV is making a big push to be a major player in the streaming service . 'The Morning Show' was good. 'Ted Lasso' was very good. 'The Shrink Next Door' looks like it could be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3-xG6yncc

And I am also VERY excited for 'Foundation'....based on a classic novel written by one of the all time great science fiction authors, Issac Asimov. Holy smokes.....just watched the trailer.....that looks incredible. Wasn't sure how an adaption would work for something like this. Just way too ambitious a novel....like Dune or Hyperion....where a film just wouldn't be long enough to capture it. But a big budget television show could definitely do it justice. Doesn't appear that they are cutting corners here....which is good. Looking forward to seeing Lee Pace in another co-leading role....after the very good, 'Halt and Catch Fire'. And then of course.....Jared Harris is great in everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5iYzDo9QI

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Anorak Revolution posted:

It seems that about everyone here at some point fell in love with a tv show on the first viewing and blew through a complete season (or series) on DVD in a space of a few days/weeks.

For me, it's been Six Feet Under. I had never watched this show until a week and a half ago. I had never been interested in this show before. The premise seemed a bit contrived and not that exciting, I wasn't sure where they could really go with it. I just couldn't be bothered, even if I read the hype about it here for years. I feel in love with Micheal C. Hall when I saw him in Dexter and thought he was just an incredible actor playing such a terrific character. In fact, that even put me off from watching SFU because I didn't think I'd be able to dissociate David from Dexter out of love for the latter so much. Well, I was incredibly wrong on all points. Through sheer boredom a week and a half ago, I happened to watch the pilot and tonight I finished the season 2 finale.

It's definitely one of the best television series ever created, and a proof that television can be a medium superior to cinema. Also, I never thought a tv show could make me cry so much. It really started with a bang, too. Never saw that coming. The mother's emotional pain after she received that phone call might be the most human and gripping expression of grief I've ever seen on tv. I felt like I had been punched in the gut. Right there I realized I was watching something special. Also, it's just incredibly funny.

So, what about you? (Try to restrict it to series already out on DVDs, or well Hulu too I guess)

Television has been a superior medium to cinema for around 15 years now.....imo. Obviously HBO has been creating top notch stuff for over 20 years.....but channels like AMC and FX have been doing it for a while now, too.