Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beast Wars was the best Transformers.

-Made using state of the art animation techniques by the pioneers of 3D graphics. Not cheap cheap animation, rushed to get out for the next toyline.

-No human characters. (The humans who do show up lasted one or two episodes and couldn't speak.)

-Wasn't afraid to get weird with it.

-Had an actual ending rather than just getting cancelled because of failing toy sales and studio bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I remember beast wars being so sick and so unwatchable due to being pre DVR/streaming/easy TV piracy that for one of my birth days my mom got me like some guys VHS/DVD copies of the show he taped. Ty mom

The episode where Dinobot merc'd all the decepticons is still one of my all time favs

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
No joke I bet the massive success of Jurassic Park is like 60% of the reason Beast Wars exists.
"Our car robot toy don't sell anymore."
"Yeah instead kids really like this dinosaur movie that's out right now."
And then someones eyes lit up.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Kellogg did that, but he was also a terrible terrible man

I have a kid this age and I believe it (bee-leive)

Oh yeah, I have a small niece who is freaking OBSESSED with the Trolls movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

No joke I bet the massive success of Jurassic Park is like 60% of the reason Beast Wars exists.
"Our car robot toy don't sell anymore."
"Yeah instead kids really like this dinosaur movie that's out right now."
And then someones eyes lit up.

They probably realised this midproduction since Megatron and Primal were originally alligator and bat. When they're making the cartoon, they likely noticed there were not many ways of making alligator vs bat look good and Jurassic Park along with King Kong gave them ideas. Nonetheless it is true that the 90s were the heydays of creature/character toys instead of vehicles since figures were more articulated and easily posed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

They probably realised this midproduction since Megatron and Primal were originally alligator and bat. When they're making the cartoon, they likely noticed there were not many ways of making alligator vs bat look good and Jurassic Park along with King Kong gave them ideas. Nonetheless it is true that the 90s were the heydays of creature/character toys instead of vehicles since figures were more articulated and easily posed.

Optimus Prime as a bat is... certainly an idea. I mean, a gorilla is pretty much a slam dunk for a character defined by being huge, strong, yet gentle, reasonable and soft-spoken. And something similar for Megatron. They even had precedent, with the Dinobots and all.

Of course, Beast Wars was also built around the strengths and weaknesses of CGI. Character models being easier to animate but a large up front cost, so you have a smaller cast and much more focus on character and long-term story. They still haven't really managed the Uncanny Valley? No problem- there's no recognisable human characters. (at first)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The MSJ posted:

not many ways of making alligator vs bat look good

I always hate that excuse. YOU'RE the creator. It's your job to figure out HOW TO MAKE IT look good. Not many doesn't mean "none"

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Robot Style posted:

Is it even possible for Mighty Max to age, since the series is a time loop?

No idea, to be honest. I'm not up on the lore of Mighty Max.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The follow-up, Beast Machines, was just bleak and kind of dumb. Even less characters, unless you count thousands of mooks who all look the same.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WonkyBob posted:

No idea, to be honest. I'm not up on the lore of Mighty Max.

The cartoon is apparently wild, especially for its era.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

The follow-up, Beast Machines, was just bleak and kind of dumb. Even less characters, unless you count thousands of mooks who all look the same.

Although it was funny how it was the one Transformers series that didn't seem to care about the toys since the animal bodies weren't designed to transform and instead just kind of morphed into their other form.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I always hate that excuse. YOU'RE the creator. It's your job to figure out HOW TO MAKE IT look good. Not many doesn't mean "none"

The CGI budget limitation is a big factor. The first season had barely any scenes of water and took place mostly on rocky ground and grasslands; not the idle places for a gator and even worse when your nemesis can literally fly around you indignantly. They would have to make Megatron one of those prehistoric crocs that lived on land and at that point it's easier just to make him a T.rex. Also animating a bat at rest doing anything but hanging upside down probably is not as easy as a human-like gorilla. The wings would probably clip everywhere.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

(animating an alligator with early 2000s cg. It walks a bit then opens and closes its mouth a few times) my job is done

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's something coldly brilliant about the Beast Wars CGI. Since early CGI made everyone look like a plastic dolls, just have the cast be action figures.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Schwarzwald posted:

There's something coldly brilliant about the Beast Wars CGI. Since early CGI made everyone look like a plastic dolls, just have the cast be action figures.

I think it was the first to use multiple light sources and shadowing. Could be wrong,

Spot the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78ZX9NfKwo

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I mean, isn't that basically why Pixar's first feature film was Toy Story?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, isn't that basically why Pixar's first feature film was Toy Story?

It's neat to read about how much of pixar history and animation history in general boils down to "we invested money in this new animation technique so our next movie is going to have a premise that showcases that technique"

I would bet money that in the next few years there will be a pixar movie about fire, or where the characters are fires or fight fires or otherwise have to hang out in a place a bunch of fire simulation is happening.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's neat to read about how much of pixar history and animation history in general boils down to "we invested money in this new animation technique so our next movie is going to have a premise that showcases that technique"

I would bet money that in the next few years there will be a pixar movie about fire, or where the characters are fires or fight fires or otherwise have to hang out in a place a bunch of fire simulation is happening.

Dragons, yo.

A lot of the early CGI shows play to the strengths of the medium; Reboot, the other big one, literally features computer people, that the audience will forgive looking like video game characters because they pretty much literally are. Lesser known ones like Shadow Raiders/War Planets have explicitly nonhuman characters (mostly) and Insektors (anyone remember that one?) has, well, insects. It's only smart to build your story around the strengths of the medium.

And I could, and have, made huge fuckin effortposts about the various Zoids animes, which use 3D exclusively for the titular giant animal robots and it works really well because they focus on the details, everything from recoil to solid designs to, probably most importantly, sound design.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this, but the emphasis on simulation in VFX often runs into John Frankenheimer's observation that "reality... can be very boring". There's always too much smoke and not enough fire, especially when simulating explosions. Whenever a ship blows up in The Force Awakens, it looks like it runs on diesel with billowing black smoke clouds, and several recent-ish disaster movies have had their destruction obscured by realistic-but-dull wafting particulates. Give me ridiculously oversized Hollywood fireballs, dammit!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The cartoon is apparently wild, especially for its era.

It really was. One of my favorites when I was a kid. And this coming from a tie-in to a Polly Pocket ripoff for boys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AceOfFlames posted:

It really was. One of my favorites when I was a kid. And this coming from a tie-in to a Polly Pocket ripoff for boys.

I still remember then why fall into a pit of brains it owned

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Casimir Radon posted:

The first episode was amazing but after that was a massive drop off in quality. Beast Wars was a fun watch in college with the nostalgia while doing something new, but Beast Machines just made me stop watching after a few weeks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Beast Machines was a lovely follow up to Beast Wars but at least it introduced me to Leftfield.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of bats, after Jurassic Park the next Universal movie crossover with Transformers is apparently Dracula.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of bats, after Jurassic Park the next Universal movie crossover with Transformers is apparently Dracula.

For a toy, not a movie, and Dracula transformer is a long established side character

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm part of a very specific micro-generation, encompassing an age range of perhaps 2-3 years, that only knew Transformers from Beast Wars. We were way too young for the Transformers of the 80's and thought them old fashioned. We were way too old for the Transformers movies and thought that they were for kids.

I remember being in my 20's and so sad the new movies weren't a Beast Wars adaptation.

Still waiting on my Dinobot movie :smith:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

For a toy, not a movie, and Dracula transformer is a long established side character

Okay first, why is Dracula a side character in Transformers? Besides the two obvious answers (because Dracula is cool/the writer thought it was funny)

Second, why the gently caress are you coming here and shattering my dreams of giant robots fighting Dracula on the big screen?! How dare you. I'm very sad now

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This concept art from an unproduced figure appeared and then it sort of took a life of its own

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Dracula

There was also concept art of The Creature and The Fly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cubix had a vampire robot. Kilobot, who drained other robots' energy and gained their powers, the first guy he eats is literally a theme park robot who plays a Dracula to entertain children, so he gains the appearance and mannerisms of a vampire to go with his power.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If we're sharing our personal cartoon robot draculas, I'm partial to NOS-4-A2.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Who could forget this classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXd9x12zn5c

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm part of a very specific micro-generation, encompassing an age range of perhaps 2-3 years, that only knew Transformers from Beast Wars. We were way too young for the Transformers of the 80's and thought them old fashioned. We were way too old for the Transformers movies and thought that they were for kids.

I remember being in my 20's and so sad the new movies weren't a Beast Wars adaptation.

Still waiting on my Dinobot movie :smith:

Well the new movie could have Dinobot since the director grew up on Beast Wars and said a fan favorite character have not been revealed yet. Of course this might also be T.rex Megatron since the only 3 Beast Wars characters officially in the movie are Primal, Rhinox, and Airrazor.

"Scourge" there has the incorrect picture. Instead of the nobody Beast Wars character, it sounds like a combination of the anime Scourges from Robots In Disguise 2001 (black truck that's basically an evil clone of Optimus) and Transformers Cybertron (a dragon).
Nightbird is funny since she's a man-made robot that was in one episode of the original cartoon that fans latched on to and shipped with Megatron for some reason. She's literally a lifeless robot, not a character, but than later continuities made her into an actual Transformer. This one apparently transforms into a Nissan Skyline. This is important because most existing Transfomers Crossover toys have been modified from pre-existing toys. You know what Universal franchise has Nissan Skyline cars featured prominently? Fast & Furious. (Note that the Bumblebee movie also gave us muscle car Transformers toys that could be modified into a Dodge car)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Best Wars was one of those shows I was a liiittle too old for when it was airing, but I ended up watching occasionally because it was so much better than it had any right to be.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 27, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

The first episode was amazing but after that was a massive drop off in quality. Beast Wars was a fun watch in college with the nostalgia while doing something new, but Beast Machines just made me stop watching after a few weeks.

Beast Machines is terribly frustrating as a follow up to Beast Wars for a number of reasons (Hey kids, remember those characters you liked? Well they're all assholes to each other now) but mostly because out of all the Transformers cartoons and movies, it was the one that tried the hardest to be something more than just a toy commercial. They had big ideas for a kid's show for that time and it's a shame their execution was so stilted and boring.

My own feelings about the show are steeped in a sort of hosed up nostalgia for it since Beast Machines, along with Voyager were both on Wednesday nights and often the only highlight of my lovely week as a kid at that point. I think it's still worth a watch for aesthetic reasons since the show's got quite a mood or if you're invested in seeing how the Beast Wars era continues and ends.

The circumstances in the mid 90's that led to Beasties being the weird little sci fi show for kids that it was don't exist anymore and I doubt can be faithfully replicated by a massive hollywood project, and since they're already making new Beast Wars stuff for old nerds like me who are desperately clinging to whatever scraps of joy they can hang on to from simpler days I feel oddly unemotional about the movie news

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 27, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

joylessdivision posted:

Okay first, why is Dracula a side character in Transformers? Besides the two obvious answers (because Dracula is cool/the writer thought it was funny)

Is that weird? Transformers is a series that will cross over with literally anything. There is like millenium falcon transformers and chun li transformers and stuff.

Why is there ninja turtle toys they are cav men or civil war soldiers or clowns? I think all long running toy series just eventually make everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Dracula is public domain and an iconic figure, anything that wants to use him can.

Transformers has never really been a franchise to limit itself to anything besides budget, it's only the more recent shows that have narrowed the tone exclusively to the Transformers themselves and Earth. Pretty much every other incarnation has had crazy poo poo; G1 in particular is all over the place with different aliens and an implied shared universe with GI Joe, the comics went all out with drat near everything Hasbro owned except My Little Pony (and apparently something with that is in the pipeline), there's non-Cybertronian aliens, time travel, human supervillains, Atlantis, gods, and a lot of things that are even to the Cybertronians basically magic which they don't understand.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

This concept art from an unproduced figure appeared and then it sort of took a life of its own

It looks like Batula gives two thumbs up while flying :3:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, Dracula is public domain and an iconic figure, anything that wants to use him can.

Transformers has never really been a franchise to limit itself to anything besides budget, it's only the more recent shows that have narrowed the tone exclusively to the Transformers themselves and Earth. Pretty much every other incarnation has had crazy poo poo; G1 in particular is all over the place with different aliens and an implied shared universe with GI Joe, the comics went all out with drat near everything Hasbro owned except My Little Pony (and apparently something with that is in the pipeline), there's non-Cybertronian aliens, time travel, human supervillains, Atlantis, gods, and a lot of things that are even to the Cybertronians basically magic which they don't understand.

There's already a MLP-Transformers crossover comic.

You forget to mention that the original Marvel comics also exist in the same universe as Marvel characters (originally Earth-616 but they have retconned it to an alternate universe).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The only crossover Dracula should be in is with Moon Knight:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just make a "new" reanimated version of Beast Wars that keeps all the audio and stories the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

I have never been more furious a toy does not exist.

I would own like 3 of those loving things.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is that weird? Transformers is a series that will cross over with literally anything. There is like millenium falcon transformers and chun li transformers and stuff.

Why is there ninja turtle toys they are cav men or civil war soldiers or clowns? I think all long running toy series just eventually make everything.

I assumed it was one of those things that happened in some weird TF comic I never read. And yeah, I know TF and TMNT basically crossed over with everything, it's just still very jarring whenever I see a new "Transformers meets X" and it's like Star Trek or something and I'm just like :psyduck:

Childrens toys from the 80s are wild as gently caress.