Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

I mean the biggest starting tip is to use overheads and stabs more. Side swings are good when you’re in a huge melee, but if you’re 5v1 there’s no reason you should be doing a side swing. Yes you’ll have to aim, but that’s a big part of the game. The reality is this is just simple geometry. Use math to win!

To be slightly less flippant, there are a couple of more advanced tips that are really simple that I've found very helpful, and those are: 1) Learn to feint a side swing into an overhead. 2) Learn to feint a side swing into a kick. These things are both accomplished with just an extra button click, but they will confound all but the sweatiest of Chiv and Mordhau vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
If you find yourself without a weapon, your normal punches will not interrupt an opponent's attack.

However, unarmed jabs will.

Hilariously, it's a slapping animation. Great for teaching disarmed enemy archers a lesson or waking up sleepy teammates.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

dog nougat posted:

This was super helpful. The tutorial didn't really explain the mechanics very well. Playing on console and loving it. I'm sure I'm at a disadvantage to kb+m, but still having a blast screaming and dying while occasionally getting a kill in.

I'm also on console and yeah, some of the controls are a bit of a pain. Countering an overhead for example, it's so awkward to press L1+L2 together unless you hold the controller like a weirdo. But aside from that, there don't seem to be many disadvantages, it's been great so far on Xbox.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another great tip for being a good team player: If you see three of your friends mobbing a guy, just leave em alone and go fight somewhere else. Adding more bodies to the pileup won't help getting the victim dead faster, if anything you'll end up getting in the way. And while you're busy whaling away on some dude 5v1, your teammates getting overwhelmed and outnumbered on the frontlines.

That said, if it's just a 2v1, it may be a good idea to go help, if you can get behind the target. Cause I guarantee you, the moment you turn your back on what should be an easy kill for one or two teammates, the enemy will suddenly hulk out, kill them both, and come to bonk you in the back of the head.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

I'm also on console and yeah, some of the controls are a bit of a pain. Countering an overhead for example, it's so awkward to press L1+L2 together unless you hold the controller like a weirdo. But aside from that, there don't seem to be many disadvantages, it's been great so far on Xbox.

Yeah it's a bit clumsy, but it seems like there's a generous enough window to swap back and forth. It's a shame you can't rebind a single thing (on ps4). Thankfully I have the back button attachment to deal with the clumsy-rear end L3 and R3 alt/crouch controls.

Still have some weird muscle memory from the first game where I still catch myself trying to use block to feint an attack. The combat in this is definitely an improvement all around though. Really been digging running around as a knight with the warhammer and the short sword. Almost have the mace unlocked, so interested to try it out as secondary with a blade primary.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Another great tip for being a good team player: If you see three of your friends mobbing a guy, just leave em alone and go fight somewhere else. Adding more bodies to the pileup won't help getting the victim dead faster, if anything you'll end up getting in the way. And while you're busy whaling away on some dude 5v1, your teammates getting overwhelmed and outnumbered on the frontlines.

That said, if it's just a 2v1, it may be a good idea to go help, if you can get behind the target. Cause I guarantee you, the moment you turn your back on what should be an easy kill for one or two teammates, the enemy will suddenly hulk out, kill them both, and come to bonk you in the back of the head.
Adjust how big a 1v3+ crowd you approach with how confident you are in slipping in attacks in the cluster gently caress. Sometimes you see five guys failing to kill someone and you just calmly picking your moment to crush them with a big overhand special or pull out a sword or knife, or even jab them then walk away as everyone lands their follow up helps.

Not so much if you are sure you'll get murdered by your own team (or murder them instead) for the trouble though :v:

Even with team damage reduction it is probably real reckless of me to gleefully thread the needle with pole hammer specials next to allied knights.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Lot of good advice on this page about avoiding joining in on the 1vX fights, you don't need to make it 1vX+1. These medieval combat games follow ninja rules, the more ninjas attacking a single dude, the more powerful that dude becomes. I would pay real world cash for an emote that just screams, "PLEASE STOP HELPING!!!" because most people that join in the fight aren't helping, they're just feeding the enemy easy ripostes and would be more helpful to their team by doing literally anything else. I would rather have a teammate hitting me in the back than feeding ripostes to an enemy, and that is not an exaggeration.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Just absolutely mashing "No!" "Help!"

I think the number one skill in this is being an efficient fighter, it stinks when more enemies OR friendlies show up to help most of the time. If a fight starts to run on long I usually just leave if I can.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Here’s a tip: if you see a bell, you can mash the button to gong it like a machine gun and everyone has to hear your poo poo

Both teams

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
if you are part of the gangbang side in a many vs 1 fight, just kick the single dude.

the rest of your teammates are certain to flail away constantly attacking while the single dude can calmly block and then riposte. but right after that the single dude will 100% block again to repeat the whole system. just kick em, no need to attack yourself, your teammates are good for that. just kick em in the butt

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 24, 2021

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I honestly think teamfights are unbalanced against the people ganging up on one person rn with the current skill of the playerbase. People will just keep spamming swings giving the single dude free counters and hyperarmor.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I always start to block instinctively after killing someone, because half the time I'm about to get hit in the back by an enemy and the other half I'm about to get hit by a horde of blood-crazed teammates charging in to help me.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I hate how true that is especially if it's a shield guy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mordhau chambers were like training im a hyperbolic time chamber because counters are so easy in chiv 2

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

if you are part of the gangbang side in a many vs 1 fight, just kick the single dude.

the rest of your teammates are certain to flail away constantly attacking while the single dude can calmly block and then riposte. but right after that the single dude will 100% block again to repeat the whole system. just kick em, no need to attack yourself, your teammates are good for that. just kick em in the butt

This works really well and is what I do when I get sucked into one of those fights.

That and running up with the express intent of blocking the riposte so it doesn't cleave through all 5 idiots and interrupt their swings.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I only play Knight and only with the ridiculous plumed helmet from pre-order. I think people try and focus kill me for some reason

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat, pickaxe and bear trap is such stupid fun to play with

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

dog nougat posted:

drat, pickaxe and bear trap is such stupid fun to play with

I unlocked pickaxe but never used it. Any tips?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

I unlocked pickaxe but never used it. Any tips?
There could be something to the traits of "Faster windup, slower recovery", but I'm a filthy casual who can't feel out that difference to my benefit so far compared to the sledge.

At this point I'm sure a lot of the shovel popularity isn't just because it is actually good. But also because it feels closer to what the weapon selection screen advertises.

You get told the shovel is "weaker but faster", and it has average damage and indeed is faster with a decent special against everything. So it feels good to use.

You get told the pick axe still gets a bonus damage against knights and footmen due to chop and has "Increased special damage". But I think the special might actually be weaker against everything than the shovel? On top of not smashing a knight as hard as the sledge.

That reminds me. I think the sledgehammer's special is weaker than it's own heavy overhand because ??? Good thing it's heavy overhand is still nice. Sledge still feels good to use overall so I think I should get back to that sooner than later.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 26, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

if you are trying to help your teammate kill somebody i find that you need to be basically surgical, i almost exclusively only use stabs in an unguarded neck for this. I play with the same people over and over though so there is some element of teamwork and maneuvering to be done.

the best way i find i can help a teammate is crowd control & literally just being another pair of eyes. do not crowd your teammate and use yourself to direct traffic of other players in a helpful fashion

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In 5v1s I like to stand slightly behind my opponent and weird them out

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Schneider Inside Her posted:

In 5v1s I like to stand slightly behind my opponent and weird them out

You're Reginald aren't you.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

is it just me or is the mace just flat out better than the morningstar

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Farm Frenzy posted:

I think so, mace is amazing

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

I love this game.
https://imgur.com/BdHBahm.mp4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Farm Frenzy posted:

The mace overhead is really really good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was waiting for the explosion the whole time and I smiled when it happened :shobon:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is a good primer for the game's mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xyV7VUv8Q

Thanks this was useful :)

cerebral posted:

I like these two. They're very helpful in explaining what they are doing and what they are thinking, and will happily answer your questions in chat. I've learned a bunch from both of them, like every swing has forward momentum and pushes you forward a little bit. When you crouch, you don't get moved forward, so swinging and ducking is a great way to maintain your distance and not get sucked in to closer range than is ideal for your weapon.

https://twitch.tv/stripedsweaterlive

https://twitch.tv/godkingttv

And from these, it seems that I always get servers with a much higher skill general population, might be because I am in EU and player base is smaller?

Dunno, still having fun even if I am always in the bottom half of the table. I just hate archers. I don't play fps games exactly because I hate getting shot from someone I never even noticed: I don't mind if someone outmaneuvered me in melee range, that's on me, but getting shot from a mile away with no chance for retaliation suuucks, especially if you were fighting someone else. Can't we have a pure melee slasher for once? :argh:

I think I would tolerate it better if teammates actually used teamwork - the rare times it happens it's exhilarating and generally when I rack up the most kills/takedowns/points

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you can use the server browser (are on PC) the duel servers are a pretty good way to pick up some mechanics

You will eat a ton of poo poo though in the process, god drat

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Statutory Ape posted:

If you can use the server browser (are on PC) the duel servers are a pretty good way to pick up some mechanics

You will eat a ton of poo poo though in the process, god drat

I did that and it was plenty of fun! Though the good players in duel servers are something else, I barely last for 1 block against them. And after a while I get bored, I crave the madness that is 64-player team objective :black101:

Today I had a really good team in one match, I think they recognized I was a liability so a couple guys always stood next to me and interrupted people from stabbing me or distracted them so I could sneak a hit and dodge back, lasting a lot more and racking up more takedowns (they got most of the kills). Just having one person at your side and attacking enemies in turn, alternating stepping back and forward between the two of you makes a huge difference!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

TorakFade posted:

I did that and it was plenty of fun! Though the good players in duel servers are something else, I barely last for 1 block against them. And after a while I get bored, I crave the madness that is 64-player team objective :black101:

Today I had a really good team in one match, I think they recognized I was a liability so a couple guys always stood next to me and interrupted people from stabbing me or distracted them so I could sneak a hit and dodge back, lasting a lot more and racking up more takedowns (they got most of the kills). Just having one person at your side and attacking enemies in turn, alternating stepping back and forward between the two of you makes a huge difference!

Stop side swinging and try to get in opposite sides of the enemy, then you can side swing to your hearts content.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

the best projectile weapon is the dane axe

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TorakFade posted:

And from these, it seems that I always get servers with a much higher skill general population, might be because I am in EU and player base is smaller?

Perhaps some shared cultural memory of swinging sharp objects at one another comes in to play to make the EU player base more skillful? Probably the same reason that Americans are so much better at shooters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if you are in a 1v2 or 3, the best thing to do is block someone and then go for a stab on one of the others almost always

for some reason the extras in a fight almost never are prepared to be attacked, esp if you start the stab pointed at the person you blocked and then whip to one of the extras

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

have you seen my baby posted:

the best projectile weapon is the dane axe

:hmmyes:

Spam laugh immediately afterwards.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dog nougat posted:

Spam laugh immediately afterwards.
I mean this applies to any kill you make

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dog nougat posted:

Spam laugh

well ok!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I finally finished a long match at the top of the scoreboard, it was a lot harder than I thought it would be because it seems there are always a few people with really absurd K/D ratios ahead of me. A few times I would feel like an invincible monster only to find myself in 4th place.

Anyway, footman sword + shield is amazing once you find that sweet spot between caution and aggression. Never stop dodging or stabbing, save your swings for counters and group fights, and attack relentlessly in 1-on-1s with kicks and jabs to overwhelm them. :discourse:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The real trick to topping the scoreboards is to do the objectives. Building a ladder is worth 5 assists and there are 2-6 ladders on most objective maps. And the best part is people still haven't figured out how to build them! (realtalk this is a major fault of the game, the opacity of objectives)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What are objectives?