Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In the spirit of the Three Forged Game Jame and the Refraction Jam, we are bringing the Collaborative Game Jam to Something Awful! We used to have game contests and they were awesome - quite a few published, successful games came out of those jams!

For this contest, you will be collaborating with three other people!

THE RULES THREE

1. There will be THREE ROUNDS.
  • Round 1 will begin on 1 July and end on 10 July. For Round 1, you will design the core of a game - no more than 1000 words - and submit it by midnight Pacific Daylight Time. What the meaning of "core" is I will leave to you; perhaps it's a neat setting hook or a set of mechanics that you really like.
  • Round 2 will begin on 11 July and end on 25 July. You will choose a Round 1 entry* to edit and expand to about 2500-3000 words. It's your game now; feel free to cut, chop, or malign it as you see fit.
  • Round 3 begins on 26 July and ends at midnight on 15 August. Similar to Round 2, you will choose an entry* from the previous round. It's your job to expand and expound in order to turn this into a playable game. The expected wordcount is roughly 4000-5000 words.
2. You will be JUDGED. Awards will be given out based on the merits of the game, but three top-scoring games will be rewarded with particular honors. And by particular honors, I mean a $25 gift certificate to DTRPG/OBS or $25 worth of game(s) on itch.io. I will add have added a fourth prize if we reach 11 finishers, and a fifth prize at 21.

3. Your stuff will be CC-BY-4.0. Your other creators will need to be able to mux and mix it up! Once the contest is over, I will post the final entries for viewing. Anyone can take from these what they like (although it's considered polite to ask and credit).

* More than one person can choose a given entry - but beware: you might appear derivative if you don't have a really good idea for it!

HOW TO COMPETE

1. Post in the thread with your intent to participate and pm or email me an address at which I can send submissions. My email address is atlantisrevoked@gmail.com. It's a good idea to wait until the contest actually begins to start writing.

2. Continue to participate! Post questions, comments, ideas, or anything you like. It's more fun when we're all bouncing off each other.

3. Check your email at the beginning of rounds 2 and 3!

4. Submit on time! I will not be checking to the minute but any late submissions are accepted at the mercy of my whimsy.

EXTRA CREDIT

If you're in the need of a little inspiration (or are hopeful for a little bump toward your end product), you can earn a bonus point. This will add to the 10-point rubric I will use to judge your game. (It's pretty simple: 3 points for Style, 3 points for Mechanics, 3 points for Theme, and 1 point for Organization.)

To earn your bonus point, simply indicate that you wish to do so during any of the rounds. I will pull from my Amazing Trope Deck and give you a trope; you must include this in your game.

If you have any questions, ask away! Let's write!

Zurui fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sure, I'd be interested.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Sure, I'll give it a try! I could certainly use the practice.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Count me in!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Absolutely down for this

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

I'll join

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dog Kisser posted:

Absolutely down for this

Just so you know, I don't have your email address (yet).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sign me up.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Joining!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Currently we are at 7 entrants! Just four more to unlock a BONUS PRIZE!

I have emails/PMs from:

Hostile V
Agent Rush
Otherkinsey Scale
Dog Kisser
WereGoat
Lux Animus
potatocubed

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Sign me up!

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Sure, I'm in.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also for the record I would like to be the first to request the Mandatory Trope in exchange for a bonus point.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
hacker voice: I'm in

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm up for it!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I have a bad idea and some time on my hands. Let's do this.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hostile V posted:

Also for the record I would like to be the first to request the Mandatory Trope in exchange for a bonus point.

Your trope is:

(Not like, wizards or sorcerers. Magicians. People who perform tricks ILLUSIONS.)

Also, yay! We have eleven people signed up, which means we've unlocked the FOURTH PRIZE. Can we unlock another? Maybe! Tell your friends!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Zurui posted:

Your trope is:

(Not like, wizards or sorcerers. Magicians. People who perform tricks ILLUSIONS.)

Also, yay! We have eleven people signed up, which means we've unlocked the FOURTH PRIZE. Can we unlock another? Maybe! Tell your friends!

Wow, you're using Channel A cards? I'll take a trope in that case!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Agent Rush posted:

Wow, you're using Channel A cards? I'll take a trope in that case!

You do not know how happy I am that someone recognized these!

Your trope is:

Any other takers? (Note that there is no deadline; you can take a bonus during any of the stages.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
You know what, give me a trope!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You know what, give me a trope!

For the purposes of this, I'll say you can play fast and loose with this - it doesn't have to be the Japanese/Korean concept of idols, it could be western boy/girl bands or rock groups or anything where the common theme of manufactured music celebrity is at play.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I will also take a card!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Trope me

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

I will also take a card!

Your card is:

How very Channel A...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Your trope is...

Yeah, I don't know how you're going to make that one work either!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I already have a concept written out for round 1: I am in-advance requesting a trope for round 2, to be delivered when the OP sees fit.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think it's best to wait until round 2 to deliver it. Getting excited to see what y'all come up with!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Zurui posted:

Your trope is...

What did I ever do to you

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

LaSquida posted:

This sounds more like a resolution mechanic than a premise

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Zurui posted:

Your trope is...

LaSquida posted:

I'll take it off your hands. I love the idea of attempting to make a game about slapstick.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

"when you roll a 1, play a low tone on your slide whistle"

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Dog Kisser posted:

"when you roll a 1, play a low tone on your slide whistle"

Character creation is just selecting from a list of SFX for your soundboard.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

potatocubed posted:

I'll take it off your hands. I love the idea of attempting to make a game about slapstick.

I was joking, I've already been researching slapstick films.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Zurui posted:

You do not know how happy I am that someone recognized these!

Your trope is:

Any other takers? (Note that there is no deadline; you can take a bonus during any of the stages.)

Hmm, it's going to be tough to not just look like One Piece but I'm up for a challenge!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

LaSquida posted:

Hey, at least it wasn't "harem."

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

potatocubed posted:

Reminds me of the time I ran a one-shot RPG called "Surely There Must Be A Better Way" which was set in the world of labour-saving device adverts.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Yeah, I’m in.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, I’m in.

Yay!

And with that we have TWELVE entrants. Yay!

Get to writing!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Okay! Anything in particular we should focus on, avoid, or attempt?

Also I'll take a card too, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Looking ahead: How do we submit the first round entry? To you by email?