Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zesty posted:

My experience with invading in the post-pontiff bonfire at SL50.

-Literally half the time it times out.

Of the successful connections:
-1/3 is someone being babysat through the PVE content.
-1/3 is a scared solo guy
-1/3 is a big group fight of people here for the big group fights.

Very very very rarely, it's a dueling PVP set up with people joining and spectating. Those aren't fun to me.

sure, but i was getting summoned so consistently with aldrich's club that it wasn't an issue.

the fight clubs are annoying though when you're trying to farm the items or if you just don't like pvp cause everyone else seems to be able to teleport behind you and backstab before you can get a hit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zesty posted:

Running through to the cathedral for the chillbite ring might also be worth your time.

also, and i didnt know this until recently, pulling out the torch negates frost buildup

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I don't mind fight clubs/undead match, it's good practice. I wind up using my red soapstone more than my white.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"Big group fights" are better described as gank squads where a host summons 3 other phantoms who proceed to beat the poo poo out of invaders as they trickle in one by one, they suck rear end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The big problem with any sufficiently large swarm of phantoms on PC is that at least 15-20~% of them will be hackers guaranteed. I ended up hanging around the Ringed City late last night and ran into more suspicious players in those couple of hours than I've seen across the entire rest of my playtime.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Phobophilia posted:

"Big group fights" are better described as gank squads where a host summons 3 other phantoms who proceed to beat the poo poo out of invaders as they trickle in one by one, they suck rear end.

Nonsense.

I routinely get my rear end kicked as a white phantom.

That's supposed to be a joke about how bad I am, if it's not clear.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 27, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Phobophilia posted:

What I’m describing is more like 1 host, 1 white (or 0) and some combination of red, Aldrich, and purple filling the other slots. It’s usually a fun time.

What you're describing is the "babysitter" scenario I mentioned.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 27, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Very occasionally it's a newbie with a pile of babysitters but more often it's a group of players who just want to 3v1 for easy wins in pvp. They'll specifically look around for read soapstone signs to summon and so on.
Happened a lot in DS2, where instead of DS3's duel arena the main way to fight duels was to just leave your red summon sign sitting around on a particular bridge in Iron Keep. If you just sat around PvPing all day you'd run into a gank squad probably 1 or 2 times per session.

scolbert
Jan 12, 2012
most invasions I'll disconnect as soon as they show up. some times I'll hide somewhere and disconnect when they find me, which is also fun.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Gank squads may be the norm but I experienced some pretty awesome chaotic group fights in the swamp. Blue, red and purple ghosts running around fighting and my character running for his life. Good times

Purple ghosts were a nice idea, but it needed some more tinkering with the mechanics. It rapidly became a "summon someone to fight" and not the "will he help me ? attack me?" intended. Maybe add more incentives to summon the wild card covenant and some different (and useful) reward for the ghost to help?

Hope they do some fun stuff with multiplayer in Elden Ring :getin:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

scolbert posted:

most invasions I'll disconnect as soon as they show up. some times I'll hide somewhere and disconnect when they find me, which is also fun.

This gets you softbanned very quickly, so yes you'll stop being invaded, but you'll no longer be able to summon buddies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what's a good point early game to start investing in dex with sellsword twinblades? i've got 25 health and 20 endurance, would kinda like a bit more endurance, maybe a bit of equip load. weapons are +3 raw, just into the actual cathedral now

e: a better question might be, how much endurance do i need since it feels a little low but i'm doing good damage and have okay health

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 27, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Go up to 27 VIG and 22 END, honestly that's plenty for the midgame and early endgame.

Start working on your DEX from then on, but remember you won't get a payoff until you get a Farron Coal and a Sharp Gem and 2 large titanite shards.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

forest invasions are annoying as hell. stop running away gahhh

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Get a Ghru Spear or better yet a Four Pronged Plow for those pesky runners.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

what's a good point early game to start investing in dex with sellsword twinblades? i've got 25 health and 20 endurance, would kinda like a bit more endurance, maybe a bit of equip load. weapons are +3 raw, just into the actual cathedral now

e: a better question might be, how much endurance do i need since it feels a little low but i'm doing good damage and have okay health

Definitely have enough stamina to sustain your twinblades, this is something that's done to taste, otherwise you can start pumping DEX and going sharp when you're poking around +6. Twinblades are a very solid choice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Having a wonderful time.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ReadySpectacularDoctorfish-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeliriousInsecureEasternglasslizard-mobile.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey, guys! Going to do a boss? Don't mind me!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CircularReadyBlackwidowspider-mobile.mp4

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Definitely have enough stamina to sustain your twinblades, this is something that's done to taste, otherwise you can start pumping DEX and going sharp when you're poking around +6. Twinblades are a very solid choice.

Yeah they're super fun, love getting in the weapon art spinny attack in PVP. I got up to 22 but I think I wanna push a bit farther.

Speaking of PVP, how should I approach it with twinblades? I've never been great at it but I've gotten some kills here; I'm just not sure of when to go for trading and when to pull back

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah they're super fun, love getting in the weapon art spinny attack in PVP. I got up to 22 but I think I wanna push a bit farther.

Speaking of PVP, how should I approach it with twinblades? I've never been great at it but I've gotten some kills here; I'm just not sure of when to go for trading and when to pull back

That kinda depends on the matchup. If they're using similarly small weapons you can usually blender through them, giving yourself some poise w/ caestus works well for this. If they start panic rolling try to swing as they're coming out of the roll animation, repeat till they die or retaliate. If they're parry spamming either try to bait it out with a charged R2, or abuse your spin2win weapon art since it's parry immune, you can also combo into it with L1 while you're in dual-wield mode. If they have a bigass weapon bait their attacks and exploit any whiffs, trading against an ultra is a big mistake.

Also stock up on pine bundles, they apply near-instantly and it's free damage.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 27, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlawlessPlumpFlamingo-mobile.mp4

Which emote is compulsively fist pumping the air? That.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Purple ghosts were a nice idea, but it needed some more tinkering with the mechanics. It rapidly became a "summon someone to fight" and not the "will he help me ? attack me?" intended. Maybe add more incentives to summon the wild card covenant and some different (and useful) reward for the ghost to help?

I think it would've been cool if it worked similar to the Ratbro covenant from 2, and you get different rewards for if the target is killed or makes it to the fog door. With the ratbros, if the target manages to get to the fog door without dying, they get a free pharros lockstone. If the ratbro kills them, they get a pharros lockstone and a rat tail. So there's incentive for the ratbro to kill, but also incentive for the target to actually participate rather than Alt-F4ing or running through offline to avoid humans.

For the purples, it would've been nice if there was an incentive for purples to be helpful and get a host to the fog door, and maybe for hosts to keep a purple with them to the boss fog. Like, it's interesting not knowing if you're dealing with someone who wants to be helpful or not, but 90% of the time, you know they're just waiting for you to relax so they can kill you for their covevnant item. It's still fun, but effectively you're just a red phantom in a refreshing grape pop flavor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mound-Makers was really fun. All I have left to do is grind 30 for Farron and 30 Darkmoon. :(

Going for to Obscuring Ring early was the way to go. It's great.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zesty posted:

fuckin NICE

your clips own

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you want to have cheeky fun with the Obscuring Ring, pick up a greatbow. You can sit outside of vision range and knock hosts off of cliffs or ledges, and thanks to the obscuring ring you always get one shot "for free" before they know you're there.
The Milwood Greatbow is especially nice for this because the explosion from its WA knocks people back away from it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

two unrelated questions. first, if i meet anri twice and never go into smouldering lake, having never told him anything, can i kill wolnir before doing smouldering lake? second, does anyone invest in the equip load stat? it seems like i've got like 50% equip just from wearing light armor

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

StashAugustine posted:

two unrelated questions. first, if i meet anri twice and never go into smouldering lake, having never told him anything, can i kill wolnir before doing smouldering lake? second, does anyone invest in the equip load stat? it seems like i've got like 50% equip just from wearing light armor

I've always done Wolnir before Smoldering Lake and never had trouble with Anri's storyline, but I can't claim to be an expert on the quest triggers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StashAugustine posted:

Equip load isn't that great because heavy armor isn't that great. Wearing the absolute highest-defense armor in the game will bring you to about ~30-35% damage absorption, whereas the master's rags are at 5%. Even ignoring the fact that you can't get those armor sets until much later, it's just not that much of an increase to survivability until you've already reached the softcaps in stuff like health and stamina (and your damage stats, of course!).
Plus, in DS3 the mid-roll is all the way from 30% to 70% load, so you've got a lot of space to work with by default.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zesty posted:

lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Iirc that questline doesn't continue until you set foot in Irithyll so you should be okay to dunk Wolnir before exploring the lake. To answer your second question, if you plan to use fuckhuge weapons then investing in the equip load stat is a good idea. There are 2 rings that will increase your equip load (Havel's + Ring of Favor) so you won't have to invest as many levels into it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Prisoner's Chain gives +5 VIT so it's functionally more equip weight.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

so far i think the toughest enemy has been knight slayer torig in the ruins; took me like a dozen tries

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

StashAugustine posted:

does anyone invest in the equip load stat? it seems like i've got like 50% equip just from wearing light armor

I like to do a murderhobo build: master’s set, loincloth and a pancaking greatsword with fastroll.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

StashAugustine posted:

Do you want to normal roll? Get just enough vitality to keep your equip load under 70%.

Do you want to fast roll? Under 30%.

If are not barely under those, you're wasting vitality that could be better used on other stats. Or you're capable of wearing better armor.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
Investing in vitality has worked for me when doing low level invasion builds, since getting your armor rating and poise to big numbers usually means no one is able to pass your damage reductions, or trade with you unless they have spent all their points to increase their damage. With higher levels, most builds figure out how to bypass your armor and the investment is no longer worth it as it would've been better spent in stamina and health.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Goatson posted:

Investing in vitality has worked for me when doing low level invasion builds, since getting your armor rating and poise to big numbers usually means no one is able to pass your damage reductions, or trade with you unless they have spent all their points to increase their damage. With higher levels, most builds figure out how to bypass your armor and the investment is no longer worth it as it would've been better spent in stamina and health.

Are you sure you are getting real benefits from armor at low levels? Because the defensive value of armor "absorption" is purely multiplicative, while "defense" comes from your character's stats, and this latter is functionally subtractive at a high defense:attack ratio.

This isn't like DS1, where all defense is the latter, so bringing a +5 giant's set to Undead Burg renders you nigh invulnerable.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In other news I've been messing around with mouse and keyboard, and holy poo poo are the default WASD controls awful. Every time you change direction 45 degrees you lose all your momentum.

I'm considering playing with controller left hand and mouse right hand, at this point, and that would mean rebinding all the keys on this PS4 controller.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

In other news I've been messing around with mouse and keyboard, and holy poo poo are the default WASD controls awful. Every time you change direction 45 degrees you lose all your momentum.

I'm considering playing with controller left hand and mouse right hand, at this point, and that would mean rebinding all the keys on this PS4 controller.

Invest in a Wii nunchuk maybe?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Just use the entire controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Is there a reason you can't just play with the controller?