Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

2006: graduate college with a liberal arts degree, minor in CS
2014: get phd in that liberal arts field, start touching computers for money as a swe. start at 80k in los angeles. was making 110 by the end of that job
2016: new job, start at 135 as senior swe. maybe 10k signing bonus
2017: same company as before, transition from sr swe to senior security engineer. start security team. ended making around 155 or 160.
2019: start at faang around 245 TC, lost senior part of title. signing bonus was i think 20k. moved to bay area
2021: still working for that faang, still not senior. TC is ~300, ~395 if you count appreciation of my RSUs. the job from 2016-2019 IPOd and my options are worth ~150k, so i guess the TC from there was better than I thought. nice.

Armauk posted:

Is the leetcode-grinding interview truly the only obstacle for getting that foot into the door at FAANG?

yes. also you don't necessarily have to grind leetcode, i know a good amount of people who didnt. but you generally do have to know the material. that's for being a swe, for being a security engineer obviously you don't have to play the algo lottery, you play a different lottery

quote:

Once you're in, do you have to worry about doing it again for future jobs?

yes. if you're moving to another faang, you definitely have to keep doing the algo poo poo. if you're moving to a not-faang, you have to do whatever their hiring process is which may or may not include algo poo poo. having faang on your resume will get you interviews, but it won't generally let you skip them. might get you the benefit of the doubt if you goof the algo lottery though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Armauk posted:

Is the leetcode-grinding interview truly the only obstacle for getting that foot into the door at FAANG? Once you're in, do you have to worry about doing it again for future jobs?

Basically, you do need to get the recruiter interested but that shouldn't be hard if you have a current software engineering job.

Anytime you switch jobs you're going to have to do it again. The questions start to tilt towards software design the higher you go, but algorithms don't really vanish until something like principle engineer where the job no longer includes actually coding.

Good Will Hrunting: interviewing is a numbers game and you need to accept that a high percentages of interviews are going to be a miss based on a combination of trash interviewers, bad questions, and questions that you just don't get. My success rate for on-sites last time was 50% and I think that is on the high end.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
So the key to maxing TC is basically just to stack rank every job from highest to lowest pay and :justinterview: I suppose.

Guess I'll give Amazon a call back.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'll play.
  • 2002: graduate with a math major/CS minor and get a job in northern Virginia. Roughly 55 to start and about 75 when I left, plus decent option awards.
  • 2007: grad school.
  • 2013: data science in San Francisco. Base + bonus + RSUs worked to roughly 185-200.
  • 2015: non-trading quant position in NYC. Base + bonus of about 250.
  • 2020: data science in Boston. Base is about 130, bonus is TBD.

Right now I'm pretty underpaid but I'm not in a position where I need to be making as much money as possible right now, and my current job is a leadership position, so the next time I go on the market it'll be a pretty different experience.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh, if we’re talking years:

2012: graduated with Bachelors in Biomedical Engineering
2013: failed to get job in Biomedical Engineering probably because I hated it, moved back in with parents
2014: first half of the year was spent juggling an online masters and self-learning web dev, second half was spent at a lovely web dev shop doing rando HTML for $35k base and then a 12-week boot camp in Boston
2015: got job at a local startup doing Rails full stack for $75k base, left in November that year
2016+2017: worked at a local insurance company doing Rails full stack for $95k base, left at the end of 2017
2018~today (2021): joined a startup doing all backend at $105k base, becoming $115k base in 2020, with yearly RSUs of $15k bonus(???) each year, and ISOs initially worth ~$42k (equity?) vesting over four years (I cashed these out for 4x~5x what they are initially worth, gotta love them lottery tickets)

I am hella underpaid but apparently did not get the experience needed to pull FAANG figgies.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah i got my bachelors from a big10 state school and my phd from a UC if it matters. no plutocracy involved

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Thanks, Ahmed Jones and Asur, for the detailed insight.

Here's a situation one of my friends is undergoing:

He's been at a job for the past five years. He has a niche. His total compensation is $100K. That's after starting five years ago at $35K. He's bored with work and would like to get out. He recently found a promising new job, doing nearly the same thing he's doing now, possibly for more money. He's gone through two rounds of interviews and is likely getting an offer. He hasn't given them a number yet and is waiting for the company throw one out first. He's hoping to get $115K minimum but has seen Glassdoor and other salary reviews putting the salary for this job way lower – we're talking $80K-$90K. The recruiter has assured him the pay, still unknown, is "competitive," which is always bullshit, in my opinion.

I've told him to let the company make the offer first, and if it's too low, to say that he's looking for $120K, and negotiate from there. He's worried the company will pass him off because he's "too expensive," but I told that won't be the case. The company can afford him. They're just trying to bring him on as cheaply ad possible.

Curious to see what others think.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Armauk posted:

Thanks, Ahmed Jones and Asur, for the detailed insight.

Here's a situation one of my friends is undergoing:

He's been at a job for the past five years. He has a niche. His total compensation is $100K. That's after starting five years ago at $35K. He's bored with work and would like to get out. He recently found a promising new job, doing nearly the same thing he's doing now, possibly for more money. He's gone through two rounds of interviews and is likely getting an offer. He hasn't given them a number yet and is waiting for the company throw one out first. He's hoping to get $115K minimum but has seen Glassdoor and other salary reviews putting the salary for this job way lower – we're talking $80K-$90K. The recruiter has assured him the pay, still unknown, is "competitive," which is always bullshit, in my opinion.

I've told him to let the company make the offer first, and if it's too low, to say that he's looking for $120K, and negotiate from there. He's worried the company will pass him off because he's "too expensive," but I told that won't be the case. The company can afford him. They're just trying to bring him on as cheaply ad possible.

Curious to see what others think.
I mean it might be true that they aren’t willing to go to 115, but if that’s the case then he needs to get more comfortable with the phrase “it sounds like we’re too far apart to make this work, best of luck with your search”.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
80, 90, 115 and 120 tc were competitive like, 10 years ago but are not now

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Don't forget to not fall for : we're offering you 115K, with a salary of 90k and 25k in bonus each year. That, in my personal opinion (which may not be shared by other people, ITT even) is complete and total bullshit. Bonus is bonus (may or may not be there and is on TOP of salary) and salary is salary. But that's just my opinion. I have refused a job offer over that. I was shocked to be honest that they even thought about offering this poo poo. But, I have been wrong before so don't take what I say as gospel.

Edit: I fully expect to be dunked on by those who have taken such offers and "they always came through with the bonus promise" and that's fine. Good for you. I personally do not agree with this.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 26, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
finance, if they dont pay bonus they're gonna fire you in a week anyways. but finance peeps also have a tendency to realize that markets are markets and not like, not-markets and if putertouchers are 200k or 250k or 400k then they gotta go get that money from the couch cushions

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how you count bonus depends on tons of factors. if i get less than 15%, it's cause i got PIP'd. at other places, bonus might be anything from a long shot to guaranteed.

in general, bonuses tied to company performance are more risky than those tied to personal performance. team, org, etc performance is obviously in the middle.

that said, bonus is at best almost equal to salary, though. cash on the table is preferable to even guaranteed bonus, and declining an offer because too much of the TC is risky bonus is absolutely not strange. i mean hell, even the best bonuses don't come every two weeks, you know?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

fourwood posted:

I mean it might be true that they aren’t willing to go to 115, but if that’s the case then he needs to get more comfortable with the phrase “it sounds like we’re too far apart to make this work, best of luck with your search”.
Thanks. I told him to keep his expectation low with his search.

Volguus posted:

Don't forget to not fall for : we're offering you 115K, with a salary of 90k and 25k in bonus each year.
Absolutely.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Armauk posted:

Depends on what the disparity is, and the quality of other candidates they interviewed.

An email I just got on Monday:

quote:

We decided that we are going to extend offers to 4 of the 6 finalist that I ended up talking to. But unfortunately, you were one of the two candidates that we felt like we needed to pass on at this time. For whatever it is worth, you interviewed well, seemed like you would be a good fit, and what it all really came down to was that you were asking for $15,000 more than we were going to be offering some equally qualified candidates.

No negotiation, no nothing. They told me they'd get back to me by Monday after my interview the week before. EOD Monday I emailed them asking if they decided and at midnight the guy sent me that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't switch jobs for less than a 15% increase, maybe 10% if you have insider information, unless you hate your job and are going to quit anyway or there's some other very compelling factor.

To apply this to your friend Armauk, I'd ask for at least 120k since they're going to counter that and that would get him around 115k. Even if they start at 115k+, I'd recommend asking for 10% more as worst case they say no.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
2007-2009: did some internships for $15-30/hour
2010: graduated with BS in CS from Northeastern (which no one on the west coast has heard of), got boring .NET job at non-tech company for $70k
2012: got new job doing consulting work (mostly iOS) for $80k. I averaged about 20 billable hours per week at this job and spent the rest of my time working on open source poo poo of my choice. The open-source work ended up being a big part of why I got my next job.
2014: got job at SF tech startup. Started at $135k and gradually went up to $155k. Included a bunch of stock options that I never even attempted to calculate the value of (and turned out to be worth negative dollars).
2019: startup is acquired by non-FAANG publicly traded tech company. Bumped up to $185k cash, and two separate RSU packages totaling $675k with different four-year vesting schedules. First time I had a non-vanity job title and got "Senior Engineer".
2020: promoted to "Staff Engineer" and given a raise to $200k cash, plus a $200k RSU refresh (four year even vest, no cliff).
2021: no promotion, but given a raise to $230k cash plus a $270k RSU refresh (four year even vest, no cliff).

In conclusion the way to make FAANG money without ever going through the leetcode interview grinder is to spend five years at a startup which gets acquihired by a company that pays surprisingly well.

Volguus posted:

Don't forget to not fall for : we're offering you 115K, with a salary of 90k and 25k in bonus each year. That, in my personal opinion (which may not be shared by other people, ITT even) is complete and total bullshit. Bonus is bonus (may or may not be there and is on TOP of salary) and salary is salary. But that's just my opinion. I have refused a job offer over that. I was shocked to be honest that they even thought about offering this poo poo. But, I have been wrong before so don't take what I say as gospel.

Edit: I fully expect to be dunked on by those who have taken such offers and "they always came through with the bonus promise" and that's fine. Good for you. I personally do not agree with this.

The mistake is valuing the bonus at zero. People sometimes hear "treat stock options as a lottery ticket and don't count it as comp" and interpret that as "completely ignore everything but salary". 90k salary plus 25k bonus is obviously worse than 115k salary (even in a no bonus equals you're getting fired industry) but it's probably better than 100k salary.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Sab669 posted:

No negotiation, no nothing. They told me they'd get back to me by Monday after my interview the week before. EOD Monday I emailed them asking if they decided and at midnight the guy sent me that.
That sucks, but that just shows they're cheap.

asur posted:

To apply this to your friend Armauk, I'd ask for at least 120k since they're going to counter that and that would get him around 115k. Even if they start at 115k+, I'd recommend asking for 10% more as worst case they say no.
Good idea. Aim high and get to where the employer thinks they won the negotiation, but you're at the price you wanted.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Comp chat: lead eng at $165k base + 15% bonus + 40k/yr RSUs

I also have 1000 options sitting in my back pocket that fully vested this past year and currently have a ~$90 share difference between stock price and my strike

This is in Boston with 12 years of experience

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I started in 2003 with a good degree but no real ambition at $12.50/hour fixing PHP websites. Last year I was at $160k base with some bonus, building and running a small team.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Started around 2000, but outside the US. Moved here 10 years ago.
First US job: 65k
Current job: 135k, no bonus nor stonx. (Public company that was taken private)

Could probably get much more than that if I switched jobs, but thing are ok, flexible, and knowing that there are always options out there if I need them and living in one of the cheapest realestate states help.

Oh, yeah: I'm a run of the mill web toucher with a background in design and animation.

e: no degree, but working through BS in CS in my spare time, with plan to do a masters degree after.

e2: it's kinda beautiful to see the goons share their comp here. Big thanks to everyone posting. Forced my hand too.

gbut fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 26, 2021

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

The mistake is valuing the bonus at zero. People sometimes hear "treat stock options as a lottery ticket and don't count it as comp" and interpret that as "completely ignore everything but salary". 90k salary plus 25k bonus is obviously worse than 115k salary (even in a no bonus equals you're getting fired industry) but it's probably better than 100k salary.

That's true. When I got the salary+bonus offer the salary was lower than my current salary and with bonus would have gone $10k per year over. No thanks.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

gbut posted:

Could probably get much more than that if I switched jobs, but thing are ok, flexible, and knowing that there are always options out there if I need them and living in one of the cheapest realestate states help.

That's key as far as I'm concerned. Everyone has different drives and needs. I'm driven by stability and comfort. I don't want to work long hours and stress myself out constantly in exchange for more money when my family's needs are more than adequately met and I'm on track to retire at some point.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's key as far as I'm concerned. Everyone has different drives and needs. I'm driven by stability and comfort. I don't want to work long hours and stress myself out constantly in exchange for more money when my family's needs are more than adequately met and I'm on track to retire at some point.

I don't want to E/N too much but I've struggled with the whole "Do I actually want to work at a FAANG or do I just feel like I have to try because they pay a metric fuckton and I'm an engineer with the time to force myself to prep right now?" I'm pretty sure I could clear $150k base and $170+ TC staying 100% remote (which is what I really want to do) and I still don't know the answer to the FAANG question but I feel like I'm too far into the prep grind to really stop now.

All I know is that I want to go to a big company so even lateral movements are a possibility, which has not been my experience at startups.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I don't want to E/N too much but I've struggled with the whole "Do I actually want to work at a FAANG or do I just feel like I have to try because they pay a metric fuckton and I'm an engineer with the time to force myself to prep right now?" I'm pretty sure I could clear $150k base and $170+ TC staying 100% remote (which is what I really want to do) and I still don't know the answer to the FAANG question but I feel like I'm too far into the prep grind to really stop now.

All I know is that I want to go to a big company so even lateral movements are a possibility, which has not been my experience at startups.

the tech major salary is really a figgieland prime or figgieland secondus salary, and you can find lots of places in midsize company land in the figgielands which pay that much. only in figgielands, tho

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

I struggle with it constantly. I know I could make more, but the struggle is if it's worth the risk. The place I'm at now is stable, my job security is high, the job is generally a nice mix of challenging and fun but low stress, and I like most of my colleagues. I also prefer small companies where I can have a larger role in the direction and success of the company -- I like to feel like I'm having a direct impact. And being able to say "i completed this project, made us half a million dollars, and built a bunch of cool reusable poo poo we can use for similar projects in the future", all with almost complete autonomy, is a great feeling.

But the allure of literally thousands of extra dollars per month looms large.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the tech major salary is really a figgieland prime or figgieland secondus salary, and you can find lots of places in midsize company land in the figgielands which pay that much. only in figgielands, tho

Levels is decent but we really need a site that straight up just ranks companies by an aggregate of level-based pay.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Your spent prep time is a sunk cost. That doesn't mean worthless: you've learned a lot and if you decide to pick it back up someday you'll be further ahead. But if you can get paid adequately doing what you really want, I would choose that option every time.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I'll throw one more datapoint into the mix, since I'm more of an outlier in a non-figgie location in a non-web role at a non-FAANG. I have a electrical/computer engineering PhD, an MBA, and a BS in CS, so I'm definitely not a bootcamp type scenario. None of those degrees came from a very good school, so my networking opportunities in that domain were pretty limited. Also, I'm not even using a fraction of the MBA or PhD at my job (nor are they required for it).

Base comp is $140K, with a 10%-15% annual bonus. I've been here for 4 years. My starting base comp was $125K. My TC is lower than most, since I don't take advantage of many benefits of the company (health insurance, tuition reimbursement, etc.). But, considering 401k matching and additional bonuses that pop up, my TC is right around $170K per year. No RSUs. We do get unlimited PTO and (bring a division of a European company in the US) you are expected to use four to five weeks of it, at least.

Location is in a part of New York where there are cows and fields of corn. Before the housing market went bananas due to COVID, you could buy a really nice house (~2500 square foot with, say, 5 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms) with a backyard, 2/3 car garage, etc. in the suburbs for about $100 per square foot. Right now, it is more like $130/sq ft. As for my commute, I can go from starting my car in the garage to being at my desk at work in less than 20 minutes. That's based on the roads being clear of snow, which is a concern for 5 or 6 months out of the year. It isn't the weather of California, but it also doesn't require you to stand in a line or sit in traffic for everything that you might want to do (and pay a fortune to do it).

I do software for embedded systems. This can be configuring/building Yocto Linux, writing Linux kernel device drivers, writing Linux userspace daemons/applications, writing bare-metal microcontroller code (apps and bootloaders), and/or a combination of all of them. It really depends on the product, of which there are many. It is all C and old-old C++. Like, C++03 and C++11 stuff. On rare occasions, I have to drop down to ARM asm for interrupt handlers or vector table setup. I also screw around with linker scripts to layout applications and bootloaders in flash. I started out doing this work at Lockheed Martin in 1999, fresh out of my CS undergrad, for a salary of $48K. So, I've been doing Linux, embedded, or research work of some sort for about 20 years. I've been through big companies, start-ups, and several in-between. I've also worked at companies in Florida, California, and Connecticut.

I haven't done a programming test for a job interview in over ten years. The last one I did was a simple C++ test where I was given a class and told to implement it. I've never been given a puzzle or brainteaser or anything like that. That's pretty normal when interviewing for an embedded job, in my experience. It is far more difficult to snow your way through an embedded interview, since an interviewer can tell pretty quickly who has actually laid hands on hardware and has a solid working knowledge of the development/debugging techniques. I normally provide a portfolio of work when I interview. This includes published writing that I've done, schematics/PCBs I've designed for fun on the side, links to projects in my github account, and the like. I don't provide anything related to previous jobs, as that is all proprietary.

I work remote quite often, but it really depends on whether I need access to the hardware in a lab. For most of COVID, I worked at home in my basement with a big, honkin' quadpole mass spec setup sitting next to me. Teams calls and email was good enough for 99% of my work communication needs. It was not uncommon for me to start a Yocto build and then play Super Nintendo for 45 minutes while it did its thing. I'd also mow the lawn, shovel snow, cook dinner, help my daughter with her homework, etc. Pretty laid-back. There would be the occasional late night when trying to get stuff sorted out, but otherwise I was wrapping up for the day at 5 PM or before. I've used the spare time to write a few magazine articles in the past, which my company encourages. That helps keep me visible and "build my brand", so to speak. I also do a little consulting on the side for fun. Between the writing and consulting, I probably make another $10K or so each year. I've written one book, maybe ten magazine articles, and about half-a-dozen published conference and journal papers at this point.

I would not give this up for a FAANG. Absolutely not. I get mails from internal recruiters at both Amazon and Google quite often because my resume has "embedded", "security", "linux", and a few other things that pique their interest. They always seem shocked when I tell them "no thank you." I mean, I have plenty of spare time to read, tinker around with my own projects, and spend time with my family. I wouldn't give up the work/life balance for a FAANG on my resume at this point.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hendersa posted:

I wouldn't give up the work/life balance for a FAANG on my resume at this point.

fwiw you don't have to give up work/life balance to work at a FAANG. I very rarely work more than 40 hours in a week and when I do I make up for it by not even working 40 hours some weeks. All of my bosses have told me that if I'm ever working more than 40 hours a week on a regular basis to let them know so they can shift some of my work to someone else.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah the hn peeps are lyin about the death marches not about the pay

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yah the hn peeps are lyin about the death marches not about the pay

hn is a cesspit of fake hustle culture and stupid entrepreneur founder porn

no one i know in big tech works crazy hours, outside of some teams at amazon

i know some folks that are so checked out they barely work at all and continue to skate by

Shruggoth
Nov 8, 2020

Caught up on the last few pages of the thread.

Currently at a FAANG doing web junk, >$300k TC with ~10 YOE. Previously in games making ~$90k as a programmer, at a FAANG-lite before that making something more than that, don't remember.

Work life balance has been pretty good for me, work 40 hours a week outside of a really bad oncall which is rare. FAANG has its own brand of bullshit, but I can tolerate it pretty well and the money helps.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I worked < 40h/wk at a tiny company (15 people, 6 devs) and it was just very chill. We didn’t work long hours because everyone understood that that wouldn’t produce better work and it wasn’t about money anyhow.

I’m now working < 40h/wk at Google and making $250k (base+RSU), which is about 3x the tiny company. At Google the organization is just so big that you can’t accomplish much in a week. I’m pretty sure people who put in 60h at Google are doing 20h Internet shitposting, 30h eating, and 10h in the bathroom.

The Google version is less fun for me, but I think the money is worth it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Salary chat always makes me want to seek a new job. Time to play:

Austin, TX
pre-2014: Non-cs background, graduated from low ranked state school in 2010. Random low paying mcjobs.
2014: 60k base/tc, first dev job, doing "full stack" web stuff
2016: 126k TC ( 105k base + 20% bonus paid out eoy)
2019: 165k base, 20k signing bonus, options whose worth is entirely speculation
now: 170k base/tc

3% yearly raises are piddly and I'm not winning any popularity contests here, so I'm gearing up for the interview grind again. I do not want to work for FAANG but I may have to to continue upward progression. It'd be nice to work somewhere with clear salary bands and IC progression, I hate being gaslit by management about my worth and having to go prove them wrong.

e: TX

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 27, 2021

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I have about 7yoe in Vancouver and am starting at one of the big tech soon and will be making about 200k TC after converting to CAD.

Just realized that the recruiter literally just put it to 200 after I countered and said I would want at least 200 TC lol. Oh well, still much better than before.

Bonus is 15-30% and there's some sort of bonus with RSU as well but excluded that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I struggle with it constantly. I know I could make more, but the struggle is if it's worth the risk. The place I'm at now is stable, my job security is high, the job is generally a nice mix of challenging and fun but low stress, and I like most of my colleagues. I also prefer small companies where I can have a larger role in the direction and success of the company -- I like to feel like I'm having a direct impact. And being able to say "i completed this project, made us half a million dollars, and built a bunch of cool reusable poo poo we can use for similar projects in the future", all with almost complete autonomy, is a great feeling.

But the allure of literally thousands of extra dollars per month looms large.

That's definitely one of the big downer parts of getting acquired by a much larger company. I'm still working on the same thing, but that thing went from the primary focus of the company to something that gets a single sentence in the company-wide updates (and that sentence isn't even about the part I work on), and that's pretty demoralizing for me. I think I'd rather be working for a smaller company, but not enough to take the pay cut when I don't hate my current job.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

hendersa posted:

Location is in a part of New York where there are cows and fields of corn. Before the housing market went bananas due to COVID, you could buy a really nice house (~2500 square foot with, say, 5 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms) with a backyard, 2/3 car garage, etc. in the suburbs for about $100 per square foot. Right now, it is more like $130/sq ft.

Albany?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus christ, I REALLY need to get a new job. The pay at my place is insultingly low for someone with my amount of experience.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus christ, I REALLY need to get a new job. The pay at my place is insultingly low for someone with my amount of experience.

Sent message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
US tech salaries are crazy, even with loads of experience salaries are mostly capped at like 150k here in Norway, and as far as I know that's true for the big companies with offices here too. I am doing really great for 4 years (90th percentile) and pull in 105k.