Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i'm pretty sure all waterheaters have to keep water above 60c/140f because of the risk of a whole host of pathogenic bacteria that can survive at lower temperatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

my tap water comes out at 122 (great for kickstarting a sous vide cook) and that's too hot to deal with even with thick dishwashing gloves. how tf do you do that to your foot? :psyduck:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

RFC2324 posted:

/\/\/\ i know, but we can dream of a non-corporate hellscape

dreams are free, but worthless

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i'm pretty sure all waterheaters have to keep water above 60c/140f because of the risk of a whole host of pathogenic bacteria that can survive at lower temperatures

the temperature range for killing legionella etc is 50-60c (122-140), which is why the outflow temperature is 55c here

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Legit tho, I'm sorry about your foot. That looks painful.

:(

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oneiros posted:

my tap water comes out at 122 (great for kickstarting a sous vide cook) and that's too hot to deal with even with thick dishwashing gloves. how tf do you do that to your foot? :psyduck:

something that has killed some of the sensory nerves in the foot, I guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
regardless of what ur heater is set to, you should have a mixing valve that combines the output from the heater with the incoming cold supply to get you your final hot tap temp. 145 is loving insane, go adjust that poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Shaggar posted:

regardless of what ur heater is set to, you should have a mixing valve that combines the output from the heater with the incoming cold supply to get you your final hot tap temp. 145 is loving insane, go adjust that poo poo.

in my experience visiting america, they were p much all fully separate and laughably hard to adjust

but ive actually never not seen a mixing valve in denmark. i wonder if it became a law to install them at some point or we just dont have unrenovated bathrooms anymore

(i assume we are talking about what we call blandingsbatteri)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

in the UK separate taps are common but they are idiots so

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Carthag Tuek posted:

in my experience visiting america, they were p much all fully separate and laughably hard to adjust

but ive actually never not seen a mixing valve in denmark. i wonder if it became a law to install them at some point or we just dont have unrenovated bathrooms anymore

thats all either old or "classy" construction. most taps here are a combined faucet with either a hot and a cold valve so you can direct how much of each is in the pipe, or a single combined valve thats impossible to judge how hot or cold the water from it is until you have experience with that specific tap

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carthag Tuek posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen a separate setup outside of stuff like old timey wash basins with garden hose sockets, never in a residential setting. You either have two knobs to adjust what comes out of one tap, or one knob that you move in two dimensions to control both mix and strength, or my personal bane, the shower knob that you have to twist through cold into hot.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 26, 2021

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
An apartment I lived in 15ish years ago had separate taps but that sink may have literally been original to the 1920s when the building was built.

E: Now that I think of it, two of the three bathrooms in our house growing up also had separate taps, the house was built in 1915 IIRC?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aint nothin classy about chestnut sized blisters on your feeet

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i had to replace the safety valve on my water heater because it kept overflowing due to mineral build up. i had to temporarily turn the temp down to prevent that. then i drained the tank and replaced the valve and was able to get it absolutely cranked.

really wild we rely on a $11 valve to prevent the hot water heater from exploding like a bomb.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Carthag Tuek posted:

i'd argue that most bathrooms especially anything built halfway recently have a shower with a single knob

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my shower has something I'd never seen until I lived here- separate knobs for temperature and flow

("here" being this specific apartment in america, as opposed to other apartments in america)

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Every EU apartment/house I've had has had the separate temp/flow knobs

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Took a bit of getting used to but the design is better

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

ive literally just learned that exists at all and ive lived in 6 eu member states

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thermostatic shower valves are the best

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ive literally just learned that exists at all and ive lived in 6 eu member states

this is what i mean

how do you live without separate knobs?! what are you animals???

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is what i mean

Why do you need separate knob? Just use a mixing one and dial in your desired temperature!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Why would you want anything less than maximum flow on a shower head

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is hosed up

yall insane

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is what i mean

Separate knobs are terrible

Edit: oh never mind I thought you were talking about separate hot/cold knobs.

I feel like I used to occasionally see separate temperature/flow controls in the US but I haven't seem them in years now.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rufus Ping posted:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rufus Ping posted:

This only unironically.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Carthag Tuek posted:

goddamn

were you passed out or something? my hot water comes out at around 55 C (i guess 130-ish F) and i wash up my dishes under that. its given me a couple deep blisters, but small ones. nothing like that

i would need to hold my hand or foot under for a good while to get that

i was in a hot bath and i had turned on the hot spout on a trickle to keep the tub warm. my foot was poking up above the water and right under the tap but I had already acclimated to the warm bath.

the hot water did5 seem super hot when i set it to trickle but I guess as trickle was slowly getting hotter and hotter as the water heater caught up after I filled the tub, or something 🤷🏼‍♂️.

just a frog in a slowly boiling pot of water situation.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

extremely hosed up if true.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i was in a hot bath and i had turned on the hot spout on a trickle to keep the tub warm. my foot was poking up above the water and right under the tap but I had already acclimated to the warm bath.

the hot water did5 seem super hot when i set it to trickle but I guess as trickle was slowly getting hotter and hotter as the water heater caught up after I filled the tub, or something 🤷🏼‍♂️.

just a frog in a slowly boiling pot of water situation.

separate hot spout? what the gently caress?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

i appreciate that every showerhead on amazon has reviews where someone explains how to remove the lovely california flow restrictor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

not usually since the water has chloramine and has been treated to be safe to drink cold.

if you have hot water recirculating in the pipes constantly (for an instant-on at the tap hot water system) then you have to keep it at >145f here per building code. this is because the water goes into your pipes an recirculates into the heater and is constantly circulating through pumps in your house. bacteria growing anywhere can spread to the whole system and take forever to flush out.

if you don’t keep the hot water circulating (if you turn on the tap and it takes a bit for the wager to heat up, this is like 95% of houses) then the one-way flow of water means your water system is flushed pretty regularly so they usually recommend setting it 120 or below to prevent scalding.

generally you only need to turn a one-way system up if there is a water main break and you may have contaminated water. in that case you get an official “boil water before drinking or cooking” notice from the utility i. effect until it is repaired and flushed out.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

separate hot spout? what the gently caress?

actually i have a handheld shower with a ball valve installed on the handheld end of the hose so i can turn the temp to whatever and then limit the flow on the handheld.

so i can set it to max hot and then also set it to trickle

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 27, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ah i was gonna make fun of you for having hosed up UK plumbing or something. that makes more sense. still, that seems kinda nuts that if you have a system thats mandated to be at 145 there also wouldnt be a mandate to require it be mixed down to less than 120 at the tap.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

my (rented, UK) bathroom sink had a hot and cold tap with a single faucet, and it was great and fine and what i expect; then my radiator fell off the wall and shattered the sink, and when they replaced it they put two loving faucets, one hot one cold and your choice became burning yourself or freezing yourself and it was dogshit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is hosed up

yall insane

why would you need a special flow tap if your normal tap dictates how fast water flows, by being an actual tap?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Jewel posted:

my (rented, UK) bathroom sink had a hot and cold tap with a single faucet, and it was great and fine and what i expect; then my radiator fell off the wall and shattered the sink, and when they replaced it they put two loving faucets, one hot one cold and your choice became burning yourself or freezing yourself and it was dogshit

Did it not have a plug or something

You're not forced to wash yourself under the running tap you know

Separate taps ftw. Nothing worse than a fixed mixer tap in the middle of the sink that you can't swing to one side. Makes it impossible to wash your face in the basin

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
if you're going to hassle the british/americans about domestic fittings at least do it about something sensible, like electric mains plug design or voltage

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

british mains plugs are pretty neat in that the modern ones won't expose the live connectors in the jack until the ground pin is hooked up

220v on all your plugs is absolutely ridiculous though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just use the standard mixer handle where you rotate it on one axis to select the temperature, and on a different axis to select the flow rate. Yes the flow rate control is not very granular, but that doesn't matter because the only two options you need are "full flow" and "off".