Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
9th June
AJPW Dynamite Series Night 1
AJPW Junior Heavyweight Title
CIMA vs Koji Iwamoto

HM
9th June
AJPW Dynamite Series Night 1
AJPW World Heavyweight Tag Team Titles
NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi) vs Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TJPW Stand Proud June 26th
MOTYC
Miyu Yamashita (c) vs Sakisama - Princess of Princess Championship
These are two of the best in the promotion, they both know their characters inside and out, and they both utilise heavily kick based offence which I love. Add in their respective partners in the corners yelling their hearts out and the whole thing was awesome

HM
Arisu Endo vs Rika Tatsumi vs Kamiyu
- Bunch of entertaining tomfoolery inherent in the triple threat format. I still believe in Endo, she's going to get that big win any day now

Moka Miyamoto and Shoko Nakajima vs Yuki Arai and Miu Watanabe
- Arai continues to improve, Miu remains strong, Shoko remains BIG, and Moka has the Eye of the goddamn Tiger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC
These are two of the best in the promotion, they both know their characters inside and out, and they both utilise heavily kick based offence which I love. Add in their respective partners in the corners yelling their hearts out and the whole thing was awesome

HM from me, but it was really drat good and gave me exactly what I was expecting from the match, which is a good thing!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM
- Bunch of entertaining tomfoolery inherent in the triple threat format. I still believe in Endo, she's going to get that big win any day now

- Arai continues to improve, Miu remains strong, Shoko remains BIG, and Moka has the Eye of the goddamn Tiger

nth.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

Nth

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

+1, will prob nth the other 2 when I actually catch the beginning of the show lmao

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

nth

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

Nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
26th June
All Japan Champions Night
Purple Haze (Izanagi, Shigehiro Irie, UTAMARO & Zeus) vs Stronghearts (CIMA, El Lindaman, Issei Onitsuka & T-Hawk)

Just a real nice & good multiman tag match despite there being no real stakes to it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
26th June
All Japan World Junior Heavyweight Title
Koji Iwamoto vs Akira Francesco

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
26th June
Triple Crown Title
Kento Miyahara vs Yuma Aoyagi

HM
26th June
Triple Crown Title
Jake Lee vs Kento Miyahara

HM
26th June
Triple Crown Title
Jake Lee vs Yuma Aoyagi

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

AJPW Champions Night June 26th
HM
Shuji Ishikawa (c) vs Yuko Miyamoto - GAORA TV Championship
- Moved at a great clip, only ran for maybe 12 minutes felt barely half that for me. Ishikawa has a few more great matches in him yet

Koji Iwamoto (c) vs Francesco Akira - Jr Heavyweight Championship
- I went in thinking this was a pretty foregone conclusion, but as the match went on that doubt started to form, what if Akira could pull it off? Real tense last few minutes.

Jake Lee vs Yuma Aoyagi vs Kento Miyahara - Triple Crown
- There was some amazing action in this, but the start-stop nature of the stipulation really took it down a notch for me. Would probably rate it higher if I could skip all the downtime, but as a live match it suffered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm confused by the nominations, were there three separate title matches or one Triple threat with multiple falls?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm confused by the nominations, were there three separate title matches or one Triple threat with multiple falls?

It was a series of singles matches, the first person to win two falls wins the title. For example it was Kento vs Aoyagi, the winner faces Jake Lee, the winner of that faces the loser of the first match, repeat. The reason I wrote it the way I did was to not spoil how many falls made up the contest.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

They had entrances and music played for the victor between matches so it's really difficult to say whether it should be considered separate matches or a single gauntlet match.

It's officially called a tomoe and it's a series of singles matches until someone wins two in a row.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All good, three singles matches it is! :)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't believe I forgot to nominate this

WMOTYC
26th June
Yoshitatsu vs Yosuke Nishijima

Holy poo poo this was torture. Chapter 3 in the Yoshitatsu: Shoot Fighter story, this time he tries to recreate Ali vs Inoki & punches out his own cornerman. Which might make it sound more interesting than it actually was. Yoshitatsu is bad at shootfighting. Wardlow vs Hagar was better than this.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NOAH Cage War June 26th
MOTYC
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Masa Kitamiya - Hair vs Hair Cage Match
- These two loving lunatics gave everything to make NOAH's first ever cage match a memorable one. Now please don't do it again :stonk: Katsu playing with the camera drone to get great shots was also real cool

HM
M's Alliance (Naomichi Marufuji and Masaaki Mochizuki) vs Kaito Kiyomiya and Yoshiki Inamura
- Four real talented dudes have a real entertaining tag match. Not a ton of stakes, outside of implications from possible future challengers for Marufuji, but fun all the same

Jr Battle Royal
- Just pure chaos. 10 planned entrants became 15, teams entered together, guys came in when they felt like it, a giant brawl on the outside with all the eliminated competitors, all the usual NOAH Jr bullshit I crave. And neither of the final two were on the official entrants list :discourse:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I might rate the other matches on the show later, but for now:

NOAH Cage War June 26th

MOTYC: Masa Kitamiya vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima

I felt like I was watching something I shouldn't be and it kinda ruled?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

NOAH Cage War June 26th
MOTYC
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Masa Kitamiya - Hair vs Hair Cage Match
- These two loving lunatics gave everything to make NOAH's first ever cage match a memorable one. Now please don't do it again :stonk: Katsu playing with the camera drone to get great shots was also real cool

HM
M's Alliance (Naomichi Marufuji and Masaaki Mochizuki) vs Kaito Kiyomiya and Yoshiki Inamura
- Four real talented dudes have a real entertaining tag match. Not a ton of stakes, outside of implications from possible future challengers for Marufuji, but fun all the same

Jr Battle Royal
- Just pure chaos. 10 planned entrants became 15, teams entered together, guys came in when they felt like it, a giant brawl on the outside with all the eliminated competitors, all the usual NOAH Jr bullshit I crave. And neither of the final two were on the official entrants list :discourse:

Nth

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Can't believe I forgot to nominate this

WMOTYC
26th June
Yoshitatsu vs Yosuke Nishijima

Holy poo poo this was torture. Chapter 3 in the Yoshitatsu: Shoot Fighter story, this time he tries to recreate Ali vs Inoki & punches out his own cornerman. Which might make it sound more interesting than it actually was. Yoshitatsu is bad at shootfighting. Wardlow vs Hagar was better than this.

I wouldn't go this far myself. I was baffled and not particularly entertained (because Yoshitatsu sucks), but my palette was cleansed pretty thoroughly with the quality of the final two matches

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT Shiro no Yu Presents Shiro no Yu Street Wrestling
MOTYC

Shinya Aoki (c) vs Chris Brookes vs Shunma Katsumata vs Yukio Naya - Ironman Heavymetalweight Title
- Just hook this poo poo into my veins. Much as I love grapplefucking and hard strikes and brutal cagematches and engaging stories (the pain from Tana/Jay is still real :(), I also love four idiots rampaging through a sauna/onsen whilst fighting for a title. Very little psychology here as the boys meandered from spot to spot, but I was absolutely delighted by the insanity. I loved the four way 10 count spot where they were all sitting in chairs just exhausted. I loved bodies being thrown into pools already occupied by naked men getting their soak on. I loved Shunma hitting the Superfly splash into a pool, and then going for the cover...while Chris Brookes was still floating in the water with his shoulder nowhere near any hard surface. I loved that by the end everyone was just exhausted and waterlogged. But above all that, I love that the champion going into this was MMA legend Shinya Aoki who took a break from training for his 58th career fight to dick about at a hot spring with the boys for half an hour, simply because he loves doing silly poo poo like this.

DDT has some of the best wrestling on the planet, but those same guys do some of the most absurd poo poo and I love them for it

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 26, 2021

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

SG Bamboo posted:

DDT Shiro no Yu Presents Shiro no Yu Street Wrestling
MOTYC

Shinya Aoki (c) vs Chris Brookes vs Shunma Katsumata vs Yukio Naya - Ironman Heavymetalweight Title
- Just hook this poo poo into my veins. Much as I love grapplefucking and hard strikes and brutal cagematches and engaging stories (the pain from Tana/Jay is still real :(), I also love four idiots rampaging through a sauna/onsen whilst fighting for a title. Very little psychology here as the boys meandered from spot to spot, but I was absolutely delighted by the insanity. I loved the four way 10 count spot where they were all sitting in chairs just exhausted. I loved bodies being thrown into pools already occupied by naked men getting their soak on. I loved Shunma hitting the Superfly splash into a pool, and then going for the cover...while Chris Brookes was still floating in the water with his shoulder nowhere near any hard surface. I loved that by the end everyone was just exhausted and waterlogged. But above all that, I love that the champion going into this was MMA legend Shinya Aoki who took a break from training for his 58th career fight to dick about at a hot spring with the boys for half an hour, simply because he loves doing silly poo poo like this.

DDT has some of the best wrestling on the planet, but those same guys do some of the most absurd poo poo and I love them for it

Nth. This didn't stand up to some of the absurdity of the larger Rojo events, but was a beautiful sampler. Also, wrestling moves near hard 90 degree corners on wet tile is something to behold.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

I wouldn't go this far myself. I was baffled and not particularly entertained (because Yoshitatsu sucks), but my palette was cleansed pretty thoroughly with the quality of the final two matches

I dunno, I knew going in this would go 3 rounds because for some reason all his shoot fights have gone 3 rounds, the first two rounds had no heat & it was just boring as poo poo apart from a couple of times YT got punched the body because I could imagine him in pain.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

Nth, very much enjoyed the main event and everything that led up to it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HM: Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki & Naomichi Marufuji) - Noah CAGE WAR June 26

A really good fun kinetic tag match that pit the old guard against the young blood. Inamura and Kiyomiya in particular are a superb and energetic tag team. There's a couple of things I would change about the match that stopped it being a MOTYC candidate namely the ending, Feels like Noah are pumping the brakes on Inamura and Kiyomiya when they need to be building them up but I had fun watching wrestling with this match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate at Kobe Sambo Hall 6/26

HM: Masaaki Mochizuki vs FUNKY “JACKY” KAMEI

Started out slow as a nothing match but built surprisngly well and the crowd was super into it by the end.

HM: High-End (Dragon Kid, Keisuke Okuda, & Ben-K) vs. Natural Vibes (Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi, & King Shimizu) vs R.E.D. (Eita, Kaito Ishida, & KAZMA SAKAMOTO)

Fun match held back by nobody other than Shimizu going too hard for a match being used primarily to set up other matchs. Still good though and the final stretch was excellent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

DDT Ultimate Tag League Night 3 May 23rd
HM

Yuki Iino vs Naomi Yoshimura
- Two big bruisers running into each other hard
Eruption (Yukio Sakaguchi and Kazusada Higuchi) vs Junretsu (Jun Akiyama and Makoto Oishi
- Even though the result was never in doubt, how we got there was fun nonetheless

2nd both of these

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Jungle Boy, AEW Dynamite 6/26

loving awesome match

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

loving awesome match

nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Hangman Adam Page vs. Powerhouse Hobbs - AEW Dynamite 6/26
Really hot opener, Page looked great and Hobbs has a great mix of selling and recovery to play up his status as a, of course, powerhouse.

MOTYC: Kenny Omega (C) vs. Jungle Boy for the AEW World Championship - AEW Dynamite 6/26
Superb, the finish in particular where Kenny did a casual cover and Jungle Boy kicked out, so Kenny hit the One Winged Angel and made sure to hook the leg was just fantastic in its simplicity.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

loving awesome match

Yeah it was pretty great

I think they should of called an audible and have Jungle boy win

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

loving awesome match

nth

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sportsgenius86 posted:

loving awesome match

this match kicked loving rear end

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Really hot opener, Page looked great and Hobbs has a great mix of selling and recovery to play up his status as a, of course, powerhouse.

MOTYC: Kenny Omega (C) vs. Jungle Boy for the AEW World Championship - AEW Dynamite 6/26
Superb, the finish in particular where Kenny did a casual cover and Jungle Boy kicked out, so Kenny hit the One Winged Angel and made sure to hook the leg was just fantastic in its simplicity.

Nth both of these.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With this latest successful MOTYC nomination, AEW (40) now has twice the nominations of New Japan (20), which in turn has twice the nominations of third place TJPW (10). WWE currently has 1 (2 if you count NXT's 1 with it).

Edit: The math works out to:

AEW has 1.6 MOTYCs a week.
New Japan has 0.8 MOTYCs a week.
TJPW has 0.4 MOTYCs a week.
WWE has 0.08 MOTYCs a week.

By that same (bad) math, WWE should expect to get their next MOTYC sometime in the next 6.25 years. :hmmyes:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 27, 2021

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Nth to this.

Also I missed last week, so…

HM: Wardlow vs Jake Hager
MOTYC: Orange Cassidy vs Cezar Bononi
HM: Penta el Zero M, Eddie Kingston & Frankie Kazarian vs Matt Jackson & Good Brothers

All from AEW Dynamite 18.06.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AEW Dynamite 6/26

HM: Hangman Adam Page vs Powerhouse Hobbs
HM: Matt Sydal vs Dante Martin
MOTYC: Jungle Boy vs Kenny Omega, AEW Championship

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jordan7hm posted:

MOTYC: Orange Cassidy vs Cezar Bononi

yessss we only need one more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I will be the wind beneath the Wing(men).

06/18 Dynamite

MOTYC: Orange Cassidy vs. Cezar Bononi