Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

This is a weird question but I recently had my Hulu account upgraded to one with live tv. I was sharing it with my sister who's not in the same state as me. She doesn't care much about the live tv aspect and I'm curious if there's a way to tag a profile to exclude live tv from it.

Am I out of luck here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Philo increasing to $25/month for new subscribers June 8th. DVR content will be saved for a year rather than 30 days! Current subscribers stay grandfathered in to the $20 rate, but can opt in to the new price for the DVR upgrade:
https://blog.philo.com/posts/package-and-price-changes

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I have a boomer-rear end question for you on behalf of my boomer-rear end dad:

I just got him to try Sling on Roku and he's mostly taken to it (although I imagine the price has something to do with that). One thing that he'd like to be able to do is just channel surf. You know, the horribly annoying way dads do that poo poo on cable: you press the up/down button and the channel changes to the next one in the lineup, over and over and over again :shepicide:

I couldn't figure out if there's any way to do that in the Sling app (I guess it's being updated in June though?) or whether that's a Roku limitation. Either way, it'd be great if I can enable that so he doesn't go back to paying an obscene price for cable. Anyone know if the cursed eternal surf is possible?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I have a boomer-rear end question for you on behalf of my boomer-rear end dad:

I just got him to try Sling on Roku and he's mostly taken to it (although I imagine the price has something to do with that). One thing that he'd like to be able to do is just channel surf. You know, the horribly annoying way dads do that poo poo on cable: you press the up/down button and the channel changes to the next one in the lineup, over and over and over again :shepicide:

I couldn't figure out if there's any way to do that in the Sling app (I guess it's being updated in June though?) or whether that's a Roku limitation. Either way, it'd be great if I can enable that so he doesn't go back to paying an obscene price for cable. Anyone know if the cursed eternal surf is possible?

Maybe I'm being naive but I thought all live TV services allowed for this. YouTube TV certainly does.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Do they? I use youtube tv and I can't just hit chan +/- to go up or down channel, instead it moves me through the timeline. There's a detailed live guide but I think what's being asked about is the very boomer thing of just hitting the channel buttons while programming is going to go to the next channel without ever looking at a guide (aka channel surfing before live guides from even like digital cable).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

RevKrule posted:

I think what's being asked about is the very boomer thing of just hitting the channel buttons while programming is going to go to the next channel without ever looking at a guide (aka channel surfing before live guides from even like digital cable).

Yup, that's it. My dad just wants to be able to keep changing channels with a button until something catches his eye (really, until he falls asleep).

If I hit the up button on the Roku remote while watching something on Sling, it will produce the mini-guide on the bottom of the screen, at which point you can scroll around and choose a channel. I think some digital cable does that too, but with cable you can still just hit "Channel Up" and the picture will just go to the next channel in the lineup. All of the streaming alternatives seem to force you into some kind of guide.

(and rightfully so, but I know I won't be able to change his ancient habits)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Do they? I use youtube tv and I can't just hit chan +/- to go up or down channel, instead it moves me through the timeline. There's a detailed live guide but I think what's being asked about is the very boomer thing of just hitting the channel buttons while programming is going to go to the next channel without ever looking at a guide (aka channel surfing before live guides from even like digital cable).

Ah yes, you're correct. I meant you can scroll through the on-screen guide with whatever on in the background which you're entirely right, once you've inhaled enough lead-filled car exhaust a brain simply can't comprehend anymore.

Honestly I thought every boomer was broken of this horrible habit by digital cable and satellite taking 10-15 seconds between channel changes but I suppose there will always be holdouts.

That does remind me that I should call my parents' landline and leave a message on their physical answering machine and ask them how they're doing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Trabant posted:

Yup, that's it. My dad just wants to be able to keep changing channels with a button until something catches his eye (really, until he falls asleep).

If I hit the up button on the Roku remote while watching something on Sling, it will produce the mini-guide on the bottom of the screen, at which point you can scroll around and choose a channel. I think some digital cable does that too, but with cable you can still just hit "Channel Up" and the picture will just go to the next channel in the lineup. All of the streaming alternatives seem to force you into some kind of guide.

(and rightfully so, but I know I won't be able to change his ancient habits)
I will admit to feeling this vestgial boomer urge myself. The only service I've seen with this functionality is Pluto TV, although it doesn't have "real" networks of course. Always bugs me that no one else seems to adopt this, as it's clearly not a technological limitation. I almost wonder if it's a contractual issue where content providers specifically don't want channel surfing to be a thing.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

you MIGHT be able to do this with Android TV + the Live Channels app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv&hl=en_US&gl=US

edit: sorry noticed you said it was Roku.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Locast allows you to channel surf without the guide on Android TV, although the interface is terrible. You start on the guide, then choose a channel. Once you're live streaming you have to navigate Left because the initial input is on "Report A Problem". However, once you move left you can then just press Enter/Select (or again left/right) on your remote and you can navigate through the channels. It's really that simple!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Apple TV+ is no longer exclusive to Google TV on Android TV. You can use it on any Android TV boxes including the Shield.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

FYI, Apple TV+ is no longer exclusive to Google TV on Android TV. You can use it on any Android TV boxes including the Shield.

Really? This was the last hold out for my Shield. Nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.droid-life.com/2021/06/01/download-apple-tv-nvidia-shield/amp/

Looks like it should even be on smart TVs too.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Not true. Apple TV didn't have 4k youtube for the longest time because they refused to support the VP9 codec.

Apple TV still doesn't have 5.1 sound in Hulu.

Until yesterday, Apple TV would play the wrong frame rate for Netflix originals.

There's no compromise free device. They all have one issue or another and if you want the best experience across all services, you need multiple devices.

Just a heads up Apple TV is getting 5.1 in Hulu now. I noticed the audio sounding a lot clearer last night when watching a show then saw the 5.1 icon on the shows. Not my picture but you should see this when it rolls out. Apparently its a server side update as not everyone is seeing it yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally 5.1 in 2021!

Ridiculous.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
*guy tapping head meme*

Not a problem when you just have a nice 2.0/1 setup :smuggo:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

god this blows posted:

Just a heads up Apple TV is getting 5.1 in Hulu now. I noticed the audio sounding a lot clearer last night when watching a show then saw the 5.1 icon on the shows. Not my picture but you should see this when it rolls out. Apparently its a server side update as not everyone is seeing it yet.

Good to know, hasn't hit for me yet.

Though, the network bug on the AppleTV app version of Hulu is larger and more opaque than the one on the WebOS app so I'll probably end up still using the WebOS version on my LG because network bugs are obnoxious and should be eliminated.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Thanks again for this, worked like a charm and I rewatched the last couple of episodes of Ted Lasso.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Good to know, hasn't hit for me yet.

Though, the network bug on the AppleTV app version of Hulu is larger and more opaque than the one on the WebOS app so I'll probably end up still using the WebOS version on my LG because network bugs are obnoxious and should be eliminated.

What is the network bug? I use Apple TV’s throughout my house and haven’t run into issues

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

god this blows posted:

What is the network bug? I use Apple TV’s throughout my house and haven’t run into issues

"bug" means station/network logo that stays on screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

"bug" means station/network logo that stays on screen.

Yeah, the stamp in the corner. It's really tiny and translucent in WebOs. On the Apple TV Hulu app it's about 75% white and a bit bigger.

Besides the distraction, the WebOS one is less of a burn in risk on an OLED (not that I really have to worry about it from a total time perspective.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's crazy, anything ripped from Hulu doesn't have the DOG on it so it's yet another pointless punishment for people who subscribe (and have to physically choose the app, so it's not like 'channel surfing' where you end up wherever) for being legitimate customers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's something the app superimposes. For network content, it will use the bug of the local affiliate.

I could see it being something contractually mandated for some content, but for originals it's pointless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WebOS

AppleTV

Roku

AndroidTV

Placement, opacity, and size all vary between the platforms. WebOS and Roku are the least offensive with Roku taking the win since it's pushed to the corner the most.

Apple TV is by far the most opaque with AndroidTV splitting the difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, HBO just broke native framerate matching (among other things) on the AppleTV HBO Max app which has me pretty livid. The main reason why I shelled out for this thing was for native framerate matching.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Didn’t think anyone could top YouTube’s shittyness on the ATV but congrats HBO you topped it. I can’t even scrub/skip now.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

WebOS

AppleTV

Roku

AndroidTV

Placement, opacity, and size all vary between the platforms. WebOS and Roku are the least offensive with Roku taking the win since it's pushed to the corner the most.

Apple TV is by far the most opaque with AndroidTV splitting the difference.

I do hate that they put the logos up there but I’m just watching stuff on my OLED TVs and figure I’ll replace them when they have issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The HBO Max app on Apple TV is such poo poo it got me to pull the trigger and unsubscribe. That I realized I hadn't watched anything using it in the last several months except the Snyder Cut JL and GvK.

Disney+ is probably on its way out too. Or at least I may be adopting my current Netflix strategy of waiting until there's content I want to watch, subscribing and binge watching, then unsubscribing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Is the HBO Max app better on Roku or Amazon or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It lags to poo poo sometimes on my ShieldTV, on my Google TV is has frame hitches when I have it in 24fps display mode. Roku works ok for now with native frame rate switching, who knows how long that will last and no Dolby Vision. I don't have a fireTV hooked up anywhere.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is anyone having issues with Rokus, specifically TCL Roku TV, when it comes to Netflix and AppleTV+? Everything is up to date.

Netflix will play a show but if we pause it or fast forward/rewind, then it starts buffering or stuttering and the TV no longer recognizes any input from the remote. The tv then hard resets and it is fine unless we pause/ff/rw. This has been going on for a year or so but I have forgotten to ask before.

AppleTV+ has started in the last few days to go to a black screen whenever we try to play anything. It just sits on the black screen and nothing plays. We have to hit the home button several times before it resets the tv. When we go back in, it works without issue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is anyone having issues with Rokus, specifically TCL Roku TV, when it comes to Netflix and AppleTV+? Everything is up to date.

Netflix will play a show but if we pause it or fast forward/rewind, then it starts buffering or stuttering and the TV no longer recognizes any input from the remote. The tv then hard resets and it is fine unless we pause/ff/rw. This has been going on for a year or so but I have forgotten to ask before.

AppleTV+ has started in the last few days to go to a black screen whenever we try to play anything. It just sits on the black screen and nothing plays. We have to hit the home button several times before it resets the tv. When we go back in, it works without issue.

We have 4 Roku TVs and none of those issues. Have you done a factory reset?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

We have 4 Roku TVs and none of those issues. Have you done a factory reset?

I was hoping to not have to do that but that may be what I have to do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My streaming services tend to kick us out after a minute lately. It's annoying, but restarting the TV through the menu fixes it for me, at least until the next time it happens.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The built in Roku in my TCL wouldn't boot YouTube twice, I uninstalled the app and "actually rebooted" twice and now it works.

Maybe that will work for your Netflix?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah if you ever reboot don't forget, that if you have fast start turned on, you to do a real reboot instead.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
loving Nvidia and the new update on my $300 shield is absolute dogshit and bricked my wifi somehow. Even after reboot/factory reset I can't get it to see any wifi networks.

Luckily I can hardwire it but holy gently caress does this product suck poo poo now

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah if you ever reboot don't forget, that if you have fast start turned on, you to do a real reboot instead.

I turned my fast start off specifically because it was a extremely common when that was on. Without it on, it is not as bad but the last few weeks have been frustrating.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Gyshall posted:

loving Nvidia and the new update on my $300 shield is absolute dogshit and bricked my wifi somehow. Even after reboot/factory reset I can't get it to see any wifi networks.

Luckily I can hardwire it but holy gently caress does this product suck poo poo now

Agreed that the new interface is pretty asstastic. I don't like having almost half the screen taken up with ads/recommendations. There really should be a way to disable this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Part of the reason why I paid a premium for a ShieldTV over, say, a smart tv running AndroidTV was that it was a clean ad-free interface. The Netflix button was pushing it, but at least I could straightforwardly reassign it. Pretty poo poo move barking ads for Discovery+ and HBOMax at me every time I turn it on now.